In the Mouth of Madness

youtube.com/watch?v=HWV5EsOVlpo

How is this movie?
Wikipedia says it's "a lovecraftian horror film", what should I expect?

a decent horror movie with a meta running theme but it's not gonna blow your mind or anything

It's not really Lovecraftian, it's more King/Bloch/Machen than Lovecraft.

Why dont you give it a try faggot

my mom found it funny he bothered to get popcorn during that scene

Lovecraft had 3 distinct phases:
Poe-esque tales (my favorites)
Dunsany-tier fantasy (mixed bag of great dreamland stories and not so good ones)
Straw nihilist sci-fi

Hey, you moms alright.

This.
The author character is King, the stories we see in the movie are mostly inspired by Bloch's work and the overall theme is Machen (or 'Lovecraftian' as kids are calling it these days).

>' as kids are calling it these days
You mean memeing queers.

Pretty much. I doubt any of them even read Lovecraft.

Really good movie, but not really Lovecraftian.

Why is the color grading in the first scene so bad?
At least it's right in the second one.

the boy on bike was very handsome. he's still handsome now.

Begone faggot.

I loved the atmosphere when they first entered that empty town. Then it stopped being creepy for me.

Come out the closet faggot

Hayden Christensen

>Did I ever tell you my favorite movie is Man of Steel?

>impying Bloch and Lovecraft didn't play off each other

wew lad

Kek.

Its shit. More Steven King than anything lovecraft wrote

Watching it now, bretty enjoyable to be honest. Long time since I've watched any horror that is genuinely INTERESTING.

This was probably the last Carpenter film worth to watch... then again, I have a soft spot for Vampires.

>yify

The woman just left him in the town and went to the church alone. Bit taken out of it now desu. Was great while it was just following Same Neil, kept the psychological aspect really in play. Now it feels a bit more like a generic horror movie.

You haven't reached the interesting part yet

>Not lovercraftian
What the fuck? Am I being memed?
>Otherworldly creatures
>Subverting and questioning of ones sanity
>Isolated town with some sort of sickness taking over

Don't get me wrong, it's still good and in some ways picked up. But keeping the film narrowly focused on him really kept more options on the table. Still engrossed, but I feel like it was a shame that they couldn't find a way around having to leave him.

I liked it, especially because of the MC.
However i had very low expectations before i watched it.
The really weak part of the movie is the wasted horror potential when they go in the town. It's not scarry at all.

>never understood this scene until re-watching last week
Is there any stories about characters as pathetic as me?

I disagree. I liked the little touch the kids chasing the dog, the second time you see them the dog is missing a leg and they all have blood around their mouths.

Maybe me too, what is there to get user?

I can never not-see the dad who blows his brains out, as Viggo from GB2

I never understood what he actually says, it was always a murmur, and I just happened to have capts on which cleared me in on to why the screen was blue and he was screaming

oh ok

Be honest with me, when I was kickin' your ass back there...you get a little wood

Also didn't understand what he meant when he said he was god now. So yeah, not very observant.

Seeing as we're loosely on a Lovecraft topic, are there any movies with similar tones or feel as to his 'Rats in the Walls' novella?

If you're going to watch an old Sam Neill horror film, Possession is better.

Horrendous piece of shit just like everything Cuckpenter directed that isn't Dark Star

That edge

>The film's weakness is the generic rock soundtrack composed and performed by director John Carpenter, and the disjointed script that apparently left the actors as confused as the plot. The film's strength is its Lovecraftian themes and the concept that the writer, Sutter Cane, is changing reality through his writings

I didn't mind the soundtrack desu... does that make me a plebian? I also didn't think the script or plot was very confusing.

Overall, I quite enjoyed it. I think they showed too much of the horrors after Sam Neil is given the script, and would have preferred if they never deviated from ONLY following him, but other than that it was a good film, with surprisingly decent effects, and a very good script. Such a shame the scriptwriter ended up being a producer and didn't write more.

It's my favorite Carpenter theme. Also, IIRC only the main theme (that plays during credits) is rock, the rest is just regular Carpenter.

>meming queer detected

It's garbage. John Carpenter doesn't get Lovecraft or even cosmic horror.

So, given I liked this, anyone have any recommendations?