So, there's no good storytime in the catalog. Let's talk about Grendel. I've never seen a thread on Sup Forums about it...

So, there's no good storytime in the catalog. Let's talk about Grendel. I've never seen a thread on Sup Forums about it. What does everyone think?
I had a friend in high school who read it. I only saw the Batman vs crossover and maybe one or two more issues. But I did think it seemed cool.
Google images shows some pretty decent artwork imo, but I know almost nothing story wise, other than he is some sort of assassin.
Let's talk

I mean, this was pretty edgy back in the 90's.

Let's be honest, this one panel is so much more detailed than a lot of shit I've seen in newer marvel storytimes.

I guess there was even a girl Grendel

Last image I grabbed.
I guess overall I'm just wondering if I saw a collection at the bookstore, if it would be worthwhile to get it.
Hell, I wonder how many of y'all were even around when it was being published.(That said, im.assuming it ran only in the 90's and could very well still be in production. I did no research before making this thread other than image grabbing)

I thought that Grendel was pretty good. The best part for me was from Devil by the Deed to Devil's Reign. I found some parts a bit difficult to go through because Wagner used atypical ways of storytelling.
I would recommend reading it but I feel it's a "not for everyone" type of comic.

The crossover with The Shadow was AMAZING and legit one of the most underrated crossovers ever.

It started in the 80's.

If someone storytimes any grendel i will fly to your house and suck your dick. No homo

Gonna bump this 'cause reasons

Devil by the Deed

>I actually wanted to be an author, but I also wanted to be edgy

So many fucking words.

Wagner is a goddamn treasure, but Grendel is his weakest stuff.

The vampire pope arc is good, but I didn't much care for most of the rest.

And that's all folks!

that's fucking sad

So how many Grendels have there been?

of the capeshit category, Grendel is literature-class. I am very surprised that it hasn't yet been scooped up by some movie studio and ruined. I still have my Comico book "Devil By The Deed"

Many

Anybody got some Tim Sale grendel art??

I was thinking of buying the Omnibus', but I was deciding between that or some Nexus Archives.

>So how many Grendels have there been?

Short answer: A buttload

Longer answer: If memory serves me (not looking this up because CHALLENGE MODE) we're looking at about eight different "Grendel's in the various books, spread out over time from the original series above until waythefuckintothefuture where "Grendel Khan" is a sort of titular office wow I wonder if I remember how to do spoilers.

I started reading Grendel as the backup feature to MAGE (THIRD SERIES WHEN, WAGNER?) and watched it spiral, somehow, into its own book and gradually out of fucking control ...

How about Paul Pope's Grendel instead? I would love to see this version fighting Declan Shalvey's Mr. Knight.

I think in order it's:
Hunter Rose
...the girl Hunter adopted?
Christine Spar
Asian Hawkeye That Quickly Learns A Bow Does Not Work Well in a Gunfight
"Future" Grendel The one that gets high and trips balls
Grendel Prime
The kid Grendel Prime protects but because the kid is the 'next' Grendel
Grendel Kahn

Also like said at some point everyone's a Grendel but fight over who is a true Grendel and it just gets tiring. That's also about time when the vampires take over and everyone wants to possess Hunter Rose's skull.

Annual 80 post Grendel thread huh?

Hunter Rose made me love comics