/swco/ - Star Wars Comics & Cartoons

The One in the Middle Edition

>Upcoming Releases:
swbooks.net/updates/release-2016.htm

>Out This Week:
Rebels 3.10: "Visions and Voices" (mid-season finale)
Doctor Aphra #1

>Rebels 3.09: "An Inside Man"
mega.nz/#!EAUyiZTT!JiuwDu0q2xSBkbypMQkVun7I88x4xb4PQuhb69GM0JA

>Rebels Recon #3.09: "An Inside Man"
youtube.com/watch?v=dRcc48GmXd0&t

>Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Official Trailer #2:
youtube.com/watch?v=sC9abcLLQpI

>Download links: (Check here for new Rebels Episodes + Books, Comics, Films, etc)
pastebin.com/nWsKtSya

>Star Wars Canon Guide:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t1KovH_1GYLDTAe3yrleeWiuzwulm670o_anQqr5Rcg/pubhtml

>Legends Recommendation List:
docs.google.com/document/d/147N5EgCnZmcPaDYvnGQwl9cn7BhBroFb7mD2C4cmWb0/ed

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4IHpk6WWRHk
youtu.be/P2N0Mn4i4Dw?t=20s
youtube.com/watch?v=4Llbvf_bwnE
youtu.be/jQlQEuT07js
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Droid waifus

Lewd waifus.

Where are they, /swco/?

youtu.be/4IHpk6WWRHk

Bendu is the gift that keeps on giving

What is he, /swco/?

Dash Rendar, obviously

So what's up with Star Wars travel times?

I'm just gonna say 0.5, 1, and 2 level hyperdrives can pretty much get you across the galaxy in 1 day give or take due to hyperspace routes. (Hyperdrive speeds aren't yet addressed in new canon)

Ex from ANH
>Vader says "this shall be a day to remember, it has seen the death of Kenobi, and soon the fall of the Rebellion"

Which means a trip from Alderaan to Yavin had to be less than a day.

So a trip from Tatooine to Alderaan aboard the Falcon would be a few hours because 0.5 hyperdrive along a similar distance.

Luke really only received a few hours of training at best. The Force is just strong with him.

ANH time table would be
>1st day, Tantive IV boarded
>2nd day (speculated) Droids sold to Luke
>3rd day, R2 escapes, Larss killed
>4th day (speculated) Falcon leaves Mos Eisley, Alderaan destroyed, Battle of Yavin

4 days tops, perhaps as few as 2 days

EMP could be as short as 1 day

ROTJ could be as short as 1 day

PHM could be as short as 1 week

AOTK could be as short as 1 week

ROTS has to be at least 6 months long because Padme could feasibly be 3 months prego when she tells anakin because I imagine they go weeks or months without seeing each other due to the war.

Capcom announces four Star Wars characters will appear in Marvel vs Capcom: Infinities. Who would they be? Or who would you pick?

C-3PO
Captain Panaka
Unkar Plutt
Tee Watt Kaa

The ultimate Star Wars team is assembled

Pretty sure TPM is about a month long and AOTC like 3 months. A bunch of the stuff like souping up Anakin's pod and the Naboo resistance and overall resistance to Trade Federation control in the Southern Outer Rim was left out.

Same in AOTC, lots of Senate voting was left out and war preparations. Plenty of time passed between Yoda getting the clones as well as the whole Jedi arriving on Geonosis.

ROTJ would be at least a week. Again, a lot was left out inbetween leaving Jabba's Palace and getting to the fleet. There was at least another week of planning the Endor attack, the stealing of the Death Star's location, the Sullust operation. Might write that down to a few weeks, rather than just 1.

Empire? 1 Day? Yeah, nah. It ought to be at least half a year considering they went to Bespin, as close to Hoth as it is, without a hyperdrive.

>Jar Jar
>Dooku's Force Doppleganger
>Tarkin (Press X for a long and detailed story)
>Inky

So how many more Imperial Officers would have died offscreen?
Did Piett get a celebration for his promotion?

Who will they be? Rey, Kylo, Vader and Yoda

Who do I want? Maul, Grievous, Jar Jar and Obi Wan

None, considering there was no room for off-screen stuff aside from the Bounty Hunters getting onboard. Those that count the days of how long the movies took place in ignore that there isn't just the travel times, but the amount of time they spent on each of the locations they went to.

Boba Fett strikes me as the guy who parks in the Space-Handicapped spot

Dat Anakin

I don't see Anakin.

Looks like a big guy to me.

What is this?

All I see is a Wompa creeping at me going 0.005 mph to hit my for all of my health because I was too dumb to walk backward

youtu.be/P2N0Mn4i4Dw?t=20s
It's Vader without his suit

So we see Vader without his suit and limbs in RO?

Hopefully!

>It's Vader without his suit

I don't think so. He's missing a little too much of his left arm. And his secondary respirator is missing. That bit apparently can't come off what with it directly connecting to his lungs and nervous system.

So, a newbie question: how long mid-season break is going to last?

About a month or so. They usually break so that Christmas, New Year's day and all the bullshit it entails is passed. So it'll come back around maybe mid or late January.

uuuu

Sadly the Wookiee Jamcrew is in prison.

The talking SBDs were probably in my top five least favorite things about episode 3

could you compress that image some more? I'm still somewhat able to see what it is and I need it to be unrecognizable

Yeah, I know. Like I felt B2 were supposed to be threatening, since B1 was proved to be such a damn joke, but then they gave them the same voices and the same level of intellect and it kinda ruined it.

I have a deep burning hate for Clone Wars series, but for some reason Rebels do not piss me off as much, unless the episode features Ashoka or Maul. Or Rex.

For example, I really enjoy what are they doind with agent Kallus. Any chance, there will be a reversed situation in the near future, where a long-time supporting character reveals to be a turncoat and betrays them to the Empire?

Sabine could become a traitor.

>I have a deep burning hate for Clone Wars series
Just curious, why is this? Because in my opinion TCW is much better than Rebels.

Take off the rose-tinted glasses pls.

I like Clone Wars (I'm not the you you refered to), but you must admit, it's uneven as fuck. The high point are high, but the lows are some of the worst shit I ever saw.

She already is, but we have a fix for that in motion.

I never said it was perfect, I just said I like it better than Rebels

That would be perfect

youtube.com/watch?v=4Llbvf_bwnE

For anyone who cares.

Still mad, pollack?

Sabine is my waifu.

Rebels is kinda the same to me, I enjoy both, but both can piss me off. (Also, the lightsabers are very underused in Rebels. I understand that they cannot simply cut throgh everyone like in clone wars, but fuck, CW had some sickly badass shit, and Rebels lacks that bigtime.

I have to admit, most of it just fanboy crap. For example, I hate how they fucked up chronology of the Clone Wars (the war, not the show) and how they ruined some of the established characters (Barriss and Maul, for example).

Then, I really didn't like what they did with droids and clones. Droids were too laughable, and deliberately incompetent. And clones were too humanized, while I believed they were supposed to be brainashed mead puppets. This just clashed with the image of this war I got from the Dark Horse comics. It was supposed to be bloody, pointless and devastating, not fun and exciting. I suppose, you can add it to the "fanboy crap" as well. Just personal references.

What made it completely intolerable for me is Ashoka. They made a teenage padawan with just basic training to be more competent then her master, the Chosen One. This infuriated me.

But I suppose, looking back, I really set myself up to hate this show by having the wrong expectations. I wanted to see more of the same gloom, which I saw in the other material from the same historical period. But that would not be appropriate for a kids show.

most of these complaints are fixed around season 3 though so it sounds like you didnt get too far in

Not going to lie, you sound like someone who hasn't actually watched the show at all.

Your description of Ahsoka is absurd.

Nah, stuck around untill the end of Season 5, just out of spite. My impression didn't change.

Yeah, I know, this is a really unpopular opinion, but I stick by it.

Different user here, but its not that your opinion is unpopular that baffles me. I have a couple friends who dont love TCW and I respect that, its just that some of your points seem... I dunno, you hate the show because of some really dumb reasons user. do you even like star wars?

Also, Ahsoka was literally never shown as more competent than Anakin, you are a crazy person. She is just a particularly skilled padawan, most likely due to his training.

Ok well you were respectful, so I am going to respectfully disagree. I'll also counter-argue some of your points.

>I hate how they fucked up chronology of the Clone Wars (the war, not the show)
Simply put, they didn't. It all still takes place within the 3-year timeframe. Nothing was retconned or fucked up.

>how they ruined some of the established characters (Barriss and Maul, for example).
Bariss had literally no canonical character to speak of. They turned her into a companion for Ahsoka showing the stricter and more emotionless results of Jedi training in wartime, and then showing Bariss literally break down mentally from it.

Maul, we're going to completely disagree on because I presume that the mere fact that Maul talks beyond a few lines to his Master is enough to "ruin" him for you. In reality though, they just emphasized his sadistic character that was teased in TPM. From the taunting to the growling in TPM, they simply emphasized it in TCW because he no longer has a Master. They let him off his leash to become his own sadistic villain, so it was a nice alternate villain to the cowardly Greivous, cunning and romanticized Shakespearean evil wizard Sheev, the goofy cannon fodder droids, the seductress Ventress, or the regal corrupt politician Dooku.

>Droids were too laughable, and deliberately incompetent.
Only the B1's, no different to how Stormtroopers are treated.

(2/3)

>And clones were too humanized, while I believed they were supposed to be brainashed mead puppets. This just clashed with the image of this war I got from the Dark Horse comics.
Going to be a bit bratty here, but this is all on your nostalgia. Humanizing the Clones was, to the vast majority of fans, one of the best decisions Lucasfilm ever made. It was poetic and beautiful how the Jedi helped raise them into their own men, valuing and encouraging their individuality, only for the Empire to immediately stamp that out before eventually discarding them.

If anything, their humanization emphasizes how bleak things were, because of the dramatic irony that the audience knows their fate and humanization is all going to end in tears.

>It was supposed to be bloody, pointless and devastating, not fun and exciting.
It was both. There was plenty of moments and entire episodes and arcs where it felt bloody, pointless and devastating. Umbara is the most blatantly obvious one to come to mind, but there's plenty more. But of course there has to be plenty of victories too. The war was coming to an end in ROTS, we have to get there somewhere and somehow. And of course, particularly for the Jedi-led episodes, there must be excitement. It's Star Wars, could you imagine if they removed all the light-hearted "exciting" escapes like the swing across the Death Star chasm in ANH? Not EVERYTHING in Star Wars can be gritty and depressing and bleak user, especially during the Era that is supposed to be the peak of the Republic.

(3/3)

>They made a teenage padawan with just basic training to be more competent then her master, the Chosen One.
This is just entirely false. Firstly, it is clear in her introductory movie that she was well above her age in skill. However despite this, she is absolutely not even remotely close to literally ANY Jedi seen in the entire show, and this remains true until her exit from the show. For the first two seasons, she is routinely fucking up and failing pretty much every mission she led, leading to countless Clone deaths which took an emotional toll on her. It's not until Season 3 did she start to display a real showing of competency and growth, but even then she was very amateur. She grew along with the show, and the intended audience of children her age and younger. If anything, her pairing and brother-sister relationship made Anakin look MORE competent, as he managed to protect and raise her, embracing her small victories so that she could one day lead the 501st on her own. (This tragically doesn't happen until the last days of the Republic though...)

Here's a little fun fact for you; She never, not once, wins a light saber fight against any force sensitive, nor Greivous. She is always, ALWAYS saved by another Jedi, or escaped by the skin of her teeth someway else. This wasn't a common thing either, as they avoided putting her in situations like that, knowing she was too inexperienced. Her fist actual combat victory is against the Inquisitors in Rebels.

(4/4)

>But that would not be appropriate for a kids show.
Again, that's not the problem. Comic books are for all ages, much like TCW is, and there was plenty of brutality and violence in TCW. The problem is you expect every episode of a Star Wars cartoon to be gloomy, but that's just not a realistic expectation, not because of the creators, or because it was a cartoon, or because of Lucas, or Filoni, or anything else. It's simply because Star Wars isn't a war genre franchise, it's a franchise that adopts everything. One episode of TCW could have been Comedy, followed by a grittier war story, followed by a mystical fantasy story, followed by a horror story, followed by a kaiju monster story. To appreciate what TCW did is to appreciate what Star Wars can be; A setting to tell any story that can be enjoyed by the entire audience, because that setting is so alive and relateable and engaging.

Sorry for the essay.

I agree with you user, and dont mind the essay, but I worry we might have scarred a naysayer away.

I worry for the state of this general becoming an echo chamber. I hope he stays around and can dissent without shitposting, as he has proven capable of doing.

>Here's a little fun fact for you; She never, not once, wins a light saber fight against any force sensitive, nor Greivous. She is always, ALWAYS saved by another Jedi, or escaped by the skin of her teeth someway else. This wasn't a common thing either, as they avoided putting her in situations like that, knowing she was too inexperienced. Her fist actual combat victory is against the Inquisitors in Rebels.

Are you... are you sure? Not that guy, but I could have sworn I remember her winning at least occasionally, and being pretty damn competent for a padawan.

I suppose Rebels just goes to show that the Inquisitors are trained wrong, or at least to a lesser degree, whereas she was trained by and in the time of legends.

>Please excuse Fifth Brother. He is an idiot. We have purposefully trained him wrong, as a joke.

There wouldn't be an echo chamber if everybody discussed opinions civilly, which is what I and the other user have tried to do.

Honestly this General is fine, best one I have ever been in. People overblow how bad it can be I think. Even when we are shitpost-heavy, it's not that bad, and a lot of it is just false-flagging to fish for (you)'s. You can tell someone actually wants to talk about Star Wars when they don't immediately call everybody else insults.

Yeah I am pretty positive.

Two battles against Greivous, first time she is spending it hiding in darkness and running for her life because she is extremely outmatched. Second time was 5 seasons later, and she is able to hold him off for much longer, but was always on the defense, and was saved by Hondo in the Slave I.

Then I remember one battle against Ventress in which she was similarly only on the defensive, and was saved by Luminara.

She even lost against Bariss in season 5, another Padawan.

The Rebels fight was the first onscreen fight in which she visibly outmatched another Lightsaber user. The only other time I can think of that happening was when the shapeshifting Bounty Hunter turned into an old-as-shit lady and flailed her lightsaber around, which of course Ahsoka was able to defeat.

>Not that guy, but I could have sworn I remember her winning at least occasionally, and being pretty damn competent for a padawan.

Not the other user, but she didn't fight other people who use lightsabers on a regular basis. The only lightsaber wielder (to my memory) she arguably got the better of was Pre Vizsla. But even then, she escaped from fighting him the first chance she got.

>I suppose Rebels just goes to show that the Inquisitors are trained wrong, or at least to a lesser degree

Filoni's confirmed on many occasions that the Inquisition was trained in such a way so that they could never hope to be a threat to the Sith. Yes, they are purposely trained to be weak.

As anons in the past have put it; Inquisitors are basically canary birds.

That's all the inquisitors. Can't have them becoming to strong and trying to become Sith.

Seconding my agreement with you. I wish can continue to facilitate discussions like this in the future.

Ahsoka has a number of victories under her belt for Non-Force/Non-Saber opponents, but on second examination she hasn't won a battle against someone with those abilities until Rebels.

>Inquisitors are basically canary birds.

*MINE canaries.

A lot of the echo-chamber accusations tend to come from shitposters. This is the usual pattern.
>REMINDER THAT THE PREQUELS WERE OBJECTIVE SHIT
>nice bait, go away
>WOW THIS PLACE REALLY IS A HUGBOX ECHO CHAMBER

>Inquisitors are basically canary birds.
Kind of. If you read into stuff like The Last of the Jedi they do actually serve a function as, well, and inquisition. They're supposed to snoop out Jedi remnants as well as holdover rebels from the Clone Wars. They are competent enough to at least worry Obi-Wan and Ferrus Olin and their merry band of rogues. But in Rebels they've been downgraded to Saturday morning-KOBRA level guys who stomp when their plots are foiled.

>tfw all the good shit gets ripped from the EU and subsequently murderraped with a double headed lightdildo

On that topic, how is Thrawn?

Holy shit I JUST noticed Bendu's been shooped to give them the finger

>On that topic, how is Thrawn?
Perfect. He doesnt really underestimate the rebels too much, and is losing based on pure luck.

Last ep especially he made sure that every trick the crew got away with before didnt work again, and would have won if there wasent a traitor in their midst. But also like he fucking knew in an instant who the trader was. Cant wait to see exactly how he makes him into a triple agent.

I need to watch this. Maybe Filoni actually rescued Thrawn

A chiss holding the Grand Admiral rank.

Also, is it wrong that I want to see him laying some serious pipe in either Hera or Arihnda Pryce? Just coldly showing them the time of their lives.

>trader
traitor*
fuck me

Yeah, like I said. My hatered for the show is mostly irrational and self-inflicted.
And yes, I do love Star Wars. I mostly dropped out of it after Disney cancelled EU, but I kinda want to get back into it. May be pick up some of the better books published in the new canon. I hear, Tarkin is a pretty good read.
I don't know how to feel about the Marvel SW comics hough. They seem to be centered around the main characters of the OT and it kinda puts me off of that, because the old canon was oversaturated with stories about the Big Three and I'm afraid the new comics will feel like "been there, done that" kind of situation.

And about Ashoka... One particular scene sticks out in my memory. I even looked it up and rewatched it right now just to make sure that I am not a crazy person. In S5E17 in the beginning episode, she jumped from her fighter to Anakin's mid-flight, surfed it down to the ground, sliced the fighter's cockpit open, dragged Anakin's unconcious body out and jumped with him to the ground before they crashed. Seems to me, like it should be beyond her capabilities.

Tarkin is good, Also check out Lords of the Sith and Bloodlines. Lost Stars too.

As for the comics, the OT ones are more to fill in the blanks. They're slowly giving more attention to PT/ST/New characters.

A very dramatic scene to be sure, but really doesn't strike me as all that crazy considering its season 5, and she is honestly operating at knight level. Im pretty sure anakin says as much before she leaves the temple later.

Further more, its not like she out preformed him there. a whoopsie occurred and he needed a quick rescue. Its gonna happen sooner or later to everyone

Thats how I feel about it at least. As far as books go, it sounds like you would enjoy Tarkin, I sure as hell did. After you read that, Lords of the sith, Lost stars, and catalyst are all pretty good. New Dawn sold me on kanan, and his comic is pretty choice.

Im a big fan of Leia, especially the nucannon portrayal of her as an action girl. Moving target was pretty good we will never forget you Lokmarcha, as well as Bloodlines.

I really hated the the two wendig books, but mostly it was due to details and him inventing some characters just to make them suffer.

I doubt you would like Ahsoka, so id just skip that. All you gatta know for new canon is a little bit about how kyber crystals work.

dark disciple is skippable, and basically more TCW anyway.

Lastly Heir to the Jedi is also rather skippable, but not bad. More or less if you find the time, but no biggie if you dont.

I like it too and I only just watched it last year.

>Almost one year since Star Wars revived from the ashes
Feels Good

Considering that the show makes it a point how reckless Anakin is and how it's rubbed off on Ahsoka, and considering the fact she's pulled of similar feats with Anakin all the way back in Season 2, I wouldn't say it's beyond her capabilities.

>Lost Stars
Not him but is that thing actually interesting starfighter stuff or just a romance novel disguised as SW?

Honestly, I don't remember the old canon and the series too well by this point, but I'm pretty sure, that they did mix up order of the events. pre-CTW Anakin was initiated into his knighthood in the middle of the war or maybe even close to the second half. Here, he is a knight through the entire show. And I believe Phase 2 clone armor was supposed to be appear earlier, then it did in the show.

And I have to strongly disagree about Maul and Barriss. Both of them had essential stories that solidified their characters for me.
For Barriss is was the Medstar books. She was shown to be a true healer at heart, she sincerey cared about every life around her and was terrified by the violence happening in the galaxy due to war. In the show, she resorted to terrorism to make her point (with compete disregard for lives) and gloated about it later on. That arc broke me with one line she said about Assajj's lightsbers: "I think they suit me".

Maul was defined for me in the comic book miniseries of the same name. The one where he hunted down the Black Sun leader. There he was an unstoppable killing machine and nothing else, true. But this is why I loved him. He was actually scary. In the show they tried to make him more cunning then I thought he was supposed to be. He was never much of a plotter and in the show he took over an entire planet and nobody figured it out untill it was too late.

>revived from the ashes only to be immediately butchered

It's honestly both, there's plenty of starfighter stuff to go with the romance.

So you didn't expirience the month of The Meebur Gascon Show. I'm jelly.

you what?

I saw the first episode and decided to skip that shit. I only just watched that arc along with the one where R2 and 3PO dick around with that force flower lady last month.

TFA wasn't great

>They are competent enough to at least worry Obi-Wan

Well, Obi-wan got rusty as shit in his exile. I'd actually not be surprised if an Inquisitor could beat him given how low he fell.

>The Last of the Jedi
>Ferrus Olin and their merry band of rogues

Not canon.

It wasn't bad neither

More than half the movie was easily sub-TPM

whatever you say

George please

Pablo said Revenge of the Sith only takes place over a few days. He said Natalie Portman wore the same prosthetic pregnant belly in every shot so Padme was always the same degree of pregnant throughout the movie.

>clones were too humanized

>ROGUE ONE International Trailer #4
youtu.be/jQlQEuT07js

new footage of Chirrut being a fucking badass and more Rebel action

I actually really liked the meat droid idea for the clones. It symbolized to me, how the war itself strip everyone of their humanity. The clones were made that way and the Jedi eventually lost themselves partly due to being surrounded by people, whose individuality was removed on the genetic level. And if someone wanted a clone centric story, there always were ARCs and commandos, even though Travis kinda ruined it for everyone.

For the second point... yeah, you are right. Like I said, long before the show I saw the war in DH comic series, through the eyes of Quinlan Vos, who was a notoriously edgy character. I was a teenager back and the grimness was right up my alley. This is how I remembered the war and how I wanted it to be in the new show. I have no the excuse.

What is the biggest change the canon made over the EU? I thought about compiling a list of ten major differences.

I admit, my aversion for her is a result of my first impression, mixed with sexualisation coming from fans of the show later on. The girl is between 13 and 15, gosh darn it. The point is, I feel more comfortable hating her.

>Sith Lightsabers have kyber crystals
>Anything post Rotj
>Who stole the Death Star plans
>Who designed the death Star

Organa-Solo kids, as well as Skywalker-Jade family.
I actually would have loved to see Han, Leia, Jacen, Jaina and Anakin as a big happy family on the big screen.

>>Who stole the Death Star plans

There has been like 100+ stories about this particular thing. I'm kinda happy, that they want to make a solid canon about this one.

>Blaster bow
Oh man, they added one in the tabletop game too.