If you were a superhero...

If you were a superhero, would you allow a supervillain to rule the world if said supervillain is capable of bringing world peace?

No

He's going to fuck up. Paranoia, stress or any other number of things will eventually kick in and screw everything up.

Ruling the entire planet is too big a job for anyone.

sounsd along the lines of "immortality sure would suck because you'd be bored and people you love would die" just because they cant keep themselves engaged in anything worthwile

>because it works like this in the realworld it'll work the same for a polymath supergenius ubermench that is smarter then all the irl geniuses put together

Not the same thing. Immortality doesn't exist in the real world, so stories with that cliché are just sour grapes.
In the real world, there have been many instance of people going into power with good intentions but either fucking up or being corrupted. Something as big as ruling the world, nobody could handle that. And what happens when he inevitably dies? Who takes over then? What happens when there are inevitable revolutions against his reign?

if said supervillain is capable of bringing world peace AND willing to do it, is he really still a villain?

I'd like some context, how did he take over the world and what's he doing to make it better?

Yes because muh big scary man not obeying the law that keeps the corrupted ptb protected.

I don't see why not, if the fucker isn't going around raping, murdering at random, or stealing candy then what's the problem? You're just trading all the separate leaders of the world for one guy.

It will. Or he'll take it too far and start making decisions that aren't his to make, like if he were getting involved in politics.

Basically he starting his grand scheme and was opposed by heroes that were killed. The ones that weren't killed hid out and planned for a counterattack but were betrayed.

They were betrayed because in the weeks they were hiding, Robot (Rex w/e) was doing shit like curing cancer, ending world hunger, etc. without really killing anyone. So they went to his side.

But how did Robot take over the world? Does he have armies? Mind control? Did he kill/imprison world leaders?

I can't even remember if he has control of the world right now. What's his endgame? World peace? To be supreme ruler?

It's been too long. When was the last time we saw how things were going on Earth?

You're being intentionally retarded, aren't you? How can YOU possibly comprehend the inner workings of a mind that can think faster then a supercomputer and has mastered all of human science and culture and invented plenty of it's own. To say nothing that almost every supergenius of note in comics has an ungodly amount of willpower and strength of mind to go with their mental capacities. This isn't fucking rocket science, they know things you can't comprehend, can instantly make calculations and predictions entire fields of real world science are dedicated to, and have foresight that is borderline precognition.

I cant remember exactly but he basically just came out and said "I run dis bitch" and no one really opposed him because of his public backing by curing diseases and rebuilding cities and the fact that he had the biggest heroes in the world on his side

How can you? I don't think a single person should be give complete control of the world. He wasn't even elected, he just decided he had the power to take control and so he did. Now he think he can rule the world.

Not to mention it's not like Robot hasn't fucked up things before. He's not infallible.

Only he served time for the previous crimes he presumably committed as a supervillain.

>He wasn't even elected
How can you be this naive? The bankers and corporations that turned it into the shithole it is would fight tooth and claw against a savior that was coming to send them all to the furnace and fix the mess they've made. The fastest way to do it with the least amount of blood shed is a quick and merciless takeover/purge of the greedy fucks on the top. Once the head is cut off, the snake dies, and he can get to fixing.
>I don't think a single person should be give complete control of the world.
I don't either, the ideal is what happened at the end of Red Son. Luthor takes over, fixes everything, then puts a council of the world's greatest scientists, philosophers and artists in charge and just chills.
However, one ubergenius with everyone's best interests in mind is infinitely better then the shit we have now.

Nah, I'd just attack them until they go insane.

I'd let a supervillain take over the world as long as he shut down Sup Forums.

tumblr pls go.

>like curing cancer
Why did he wait until he took over the world to do that one?

Because the heroes were attacking to attack and kill him. There was also the fact that local government weren't in favor of Robot taking over because it would be a lost of power and influence on their part.

Probably because you start fixing issues only after your revolution is successful.

Robot hunted down and murdered several heroes whose only desires were to protect people. These people had special abilities and they decided to try and help the world using these abilities. Robot executed them.

He didn't even try to explain or convince them, he just executed countless heroes. He didn't even try. Fuck Robot. Dude's a monster.

No. If you have been given the label of Super Villain it's because you done/are fucked up and no matter what you're shoveling a million assholes in suits running the show is still better than one cunt in spandex.

So what? There were good guys between the nazis. Doesn't change that those people were enemies trying to stop him.

Taking into account those were like living weapons of mass destruction, surely you didn't expect POW camps?

Depends on the kind of peace they would bring. If for example their version of peace was turning Humanity into something like the Borg from TNG I wouldn't want part of it.

You don't seem to understand my question. Why didn't he try finding a cure to cancer BEFORE taking over the world? He's been active for years.

You don't need a revolution to cure cancer. You find the cure, then share it.

>Doesn't change that those people were enemies trying to stop him.
But they weren't. They didn't know shit. He just murdered them with extreme prejudice before some of them even knew what was happening.

>Taking into account those were like living weapons of mass destruction, surely you didn't expect POW camps?
I would've preferred that he didn't persecute them at all. They were good people.

Where the fuck did i mention Robot.
Also, again, you are naive as fuck. Those ''heroes'' are helping maintain the status quo where more people are killed ''legally'' (via starvation, suicide, unjust wars etc.) then they could ever possibly save. He probably knew that these people wouldn't listen to reason and took them out before they could stop him.

Because priorities.

You really think the medical industry would just sit and let a cure for cancer be distributed freely? You people really don't get it. Hunger, disease and war are the main sources of profit for the assholes running the planet. If you start fixing these, they will do EVERYTHING in their power to stop you and make you look the bad guy. Therefore, the ONLY way to save the world is to take it over and purge the greedy pigs running it, THEN fix everything. However, any heroes on said world will try to stop you because they're naive and idealistic (why the fuck else would they be heroes in the first place). So, you need to deal with them as well. Simple as that.

Being (((good))) is a personal moralistic value and doesn't mean anything.

And then already showed their enmity before, so they were still enemies.

Careful not to cut yourself with that edge

>would just sit and let a cure for cancer be distributed freely?
There's not much they can do about it. Once it's out in the wild and he relinquishes any patent to it, everyone is gonna want it.
Not to mention, the people that run the world are afraid of dying of cancer one day too.

I mentioned Robot like 3 posts ago. If we weren't talking about him then, why wouldn't you mention it until now? I was speaking directly about the story of Invincible.

In your hypothetical, your super villain is some sort of "polymath supergenius ubermench that is smarter then all the irl geniuses put together"? Am I understanding that right?

Which issue is this?

Why would they try to stop it when they can just make profits producing and selling it?

Not him, but cure < treatments. Or do you really think companies want to erradicate disease? Silly user.

I mean quite a few diseases have been eradicated

Why do medical corporations sell vaccines then? Checkmate

Also what he said This, the medical industry will always find some new way of making money.

For every farmaceutical company that earns by making treatments expensive there are dozen of medical companies, clinics and hospitals that will earn more by reducing the costs of such treatments.

Also it's basic economics, you earn more by selling one million people the cure for cancer at 10 dollars than selling treatments to 100 peoples for 10.000 dollars each.

very few diseases have been outright eradicated.
most are just extremely rare now due to vaccines.

its why california had that measles outbreak due to all the fuckers who think vaccines will give their kids autism. because measles is so much better to have.

or the (I want to say) small pox outbreak in mongolia after a corpse killed by it and covered in frost was thawed out and then eaten by local wildlife.

No because we already know how it ends.
Pic related took over the world, created one of the most prosperous and largest civilizations in the history, lived longer than most of his contemporaneous and was hailed like a God. However he spent his last years knowing that everything he built would fall in ruins because only him could handle his own Empire correctly.
No matter how smart and wise the ruler is, his vision will always end with him and even if the succession is carefully planned sooner or later someone incompent will end up in charge and ruin everything.
You can't count on only one guy to fix the problems

You can if said guy is capable of achieving pseudo-immortality which Robot is capable of via cloning and mind transfer.

Maybe he should have tried being immortal, something that is very possible in comic books.

This tbqh

I´d let him rule it and stick around as his Councillor to make sure he doesn´t succumb to paranoia or just his own propensity to evil.

Defying the Status Quo is always evil. It's kinda funny how heroes always try to defend the world from change but never truly try to improve it. In many occasions villains want to improve the world with Machiavellian tactics and since the heroes need to look good they stop them instead of looking at the big picture. The only times when the people trying to change the world are seen as heroes is when the world itself is hell on earth.

>t.a retarded manchild
You cannot retort ONE thing i said, so you resort to ad hominem.

>he thinks the cure doesn't already exist except it's kept only for the elite

Except somebody would be giving it for free, and they can't have that.

>Doom, you monster, how dare you do this?!

Yeah, sure. I am mocking you not because literally everything you said scream "I am an edgy 13 years old", but because I am a sheeple that can't accept the truth.

Yeah, in a comic book world where resources comes from nothing and numberless robots can just be made from thin air to personally deliver a magic cure made with no cost to everyone that need it they'll surely be against it.

But in a "realistic" world, you still need infrastructure, chemical industries, a distribution network and contacts with hospitals and doctors to know who need it.

I´m a horrible person for saying this, but living in such a perfect world would be boring. I like the drama that comes with a shitty world.

Ok, why don't you, piece by peace, refute the stuff i said?
>but because I am a sheeple that can't accept the truth.
If you just implied that rich assholes profiteering from the wars they themselves cause, moving their business to third world countries they themselves fucked up where people work for dimes and intentionally not developing cures to diseases so they could profit from the treatments are cooky conspiracy theories, then there truly is no help for you.

>I like the drama that comes with a shitty world
>t. a privileged asshole browsing on Sup Forums who never even began to know true strife

Lets say he has the means of producing and delivering it all on his own. The ones in charge would be livid that they are losing so much money and would try to frame it as being faulty or dangerous, and basically would do anything to sabotage it.

Tell me, why are new cures for diseases found all the time then?
Why would vaccines even exist if there's more money to be made from treatments by your logic?

>Ok, why don't you, piece by peace, refute the stuff i said?

Because that wuold mean taking you seriously.
I prefer continuing to mock you.

>he just decided he had the power to take control and so he did.
Kind of like the Europeans did to the Native Americans. Really makes ya think.

You got it, user! That's why it's a terrible thing to say and that's why I´m glad I could say it anonymously

you are not a horrible person, just a moron who doesn't know any better

>and basically would do anything to sabotage it.
How? You can't bribe every scientist and WHO employee who would be verifying it.

Edgy.

Oh please, all the major diseases have no cure while the treatments cost an arm and a leg. You honestly believe that if a dude came up with cure for cancer and aids tomorrow and said he could produce and deliver it world wide on his own, and all of it was proven true, everyone would be okay with it? You really think the cure for cancer doesn't exist? Or let me put it another way. You really think if the cure for cancer did exist they would just make it public and give up the mountains of cash they'll make from the treatments?

>because that would mean actually having an argument and the mental capacity to present it
FTFY
Enjoy the 7th grade.

Dude, i LOVE superheroes. But when i see Cap going ''DOOM IS A BIG MEAN MEANIE SO ALL THE GOOD HE HAS SHOWN HE IS CAPABLE AND WILLING OF DOING IS WORTHLESS, GOD BLESS THE STATUS QUO'' , it really doesn't sit well with me.

If the creator has the means to produce and deliver a medicine on global scale he's probably already one of them, so they'll just compete the same way they do each time a new cure is discoverd.

If he's not they'll just try to acquire the formula and market it their way. They won't stop the cure, they'll make sure it makes them profits.

Bribe, blackmail, intimidation, using the media to slander the maker, switching samples with something deadly, do you honestly think if someone took on the entire corporate world he could do it cleanly with just goodwill?

>dude is giving it away for free
>BRO WE COULD TOTALLY STEAL IT AND PROFIT OFF IT

>Doom fucked over South Africa by pushing Mandela into powers

Well's he IS a villain.

> rule of africa to blacks

That didn't work out.

> edgy

Nice non argument.

The major diseases are major precisely because no cure has been found. You don't seem to understand why a cure for cancer is so difficult.
>everyone would be okay with it?
Most people would, yeah. Once people know about it, no corporate interest could possibly stop the demand from the public and world governments to get it.

>You really think the cure for cancer doesn't exist?
Yes, because these same "evil" corporations are spending millions of dollars trying to find one.

You know that the only reason cancer is a major disease is beacuse we have basically debellated evey other disease?

Cancer is major disease now. You know what was a major disease decades ago? Polio. Or Smallpox. Your argument is that just because we haven't finished the list of hillnesses then all progress made is useless.

Also AIDS is becoming curable nowadays.

If you are not using magic there is not actually a way to give away a cure "for free". Either you are a billionaire paying for it of some costs must be paid.

no bro dude like bro dude like bro dude it's all a conspiracy dude THE MAN is hiding the cure for cancer and secret space elf waifus from us

Someone is angry he's not being taken seriously.

Big Pharma already makes trillions a year. The cure to cancer wouldn't actually affect their bottom line very much because it's such a small percentage of what they do.
And even then, people that don't get cancer will end up getting other diseases eventually.

hey remember that time he ruled an alien utopia for a few millennia and how that went to shit as well?

Well he did kill a bunch of good people to do it. What makes you think he won't keep doing that?

He took over the global defense agency, which already kind of ran everything behind the scenes, by killing the old leader. Then he and his murderbots went around killing a bunch of other heroes he thought or knew would oppose this course of action. The rest went into hiding.

I'm pretty sure this was all done in secret, but eventually he went to the public using his super smarts to fix a bunch of global problems and everyone started loving him, except of course for the heroes.

All the intelligence in the world doesn't cure lack of empathy or an unstable mind that uses a hamner to deal with problems he cant solve with an algorithm. Ruling people is more than just science, it takes understanding, patience and the ability to empathize with viewpoints not your own. If killing someone in your way or using villianous means is a viable answer to when you can't do the above, your rule will always be under a constant threat of instability because your encouraging people to rebel.

The last time I read about Robot he literally had tabs on the people's hideout the entire time. He had already "won" at this time (taking over the world) and basically told them that he wouldn't fuck with them any longer as long as they didn't fuck with him.

Many of the "resistance" ended up joining his side as a result since they felt they legitimately had nothing to fight anymore.

> say non argument
> point it out
> lol u mad

gg

His first step to bring about world peace was to murder everyone trying to keep peace in the first place without even asking them what they thought of his plan. THAT's why he's a supervillain.

Don't worry, you'll grow up sooner or later, and then you'll laught at edgy teenagers yourself.

It would depend on any number of things, but probably not. If they'd become a superVILLAIN in the first place, chances are this has proven them to be too fallible and flawed to be trusted with unilateral control of the entire world. They'd need checks and balances, and most world-dominating supervillains are egotists who won't tolerate oversight or exercise moderation in the long term. That's what made them villains in the first place, rather than antiheroes or something.

And the above is the central problem with this entire argument, made across the string of posts that follow. In the real world, people who pursue absolute power tend not to be the most balanced or altruistic individuals. In comics, supergeniuses SOMETIMES are, but more often than not even the heroic ones have major personal failings (Batman is sometimes prone to tyranny, Iron Man lacks discipline, Mister Fantastic is disinterested and distractable, and so on). We aren't TALKING about a more heroic individual, though. We're talking about a villain, someone who has used and abused power to questionable ends before. Such a character is usually more flawed than a heroic one by default. While your hypothetical perfect ubermensch altruist COULD do the job well, they would probably not be a villain, and no villain is likely to have the temperament necessary to use absolute control of the world wisely for the benefit of all.

yawn

And if he cures ALL disease, which is the point of this?

Good thing Doom already proved he knows how to do it by turning a third-world shithole into a perfect Utopia, and the times he actually did run the world. As for Luthor, he isn't interested in ruling so much as being given credit for everything.

I chose the Helios ending.

If a single man without any infrastructure and support is suddenly able to create a cure of every possible disease and to be able to deliver it to everyone that need it then we are so deep into fantastical territory and so divorced from any actual possible situation that corporations stop behaving like real like entities but start being whatever the author need.

They could just signal their reptilian masters to start the invasion or suddenly embrace the new savior as the lord of humanity Doom style, and in either cases it would be plausible.

Read the OP post

Read the reply chain. The discussion was about the fact that he needed to conquer the world to cure cancer because otherwise big bad corporations wouldn't allow a cure for cancer to exist as they profit more for cancer to be incurable.

Curing cancer is only one aspect of ensuring world peace and longevity.
He would have to completely take over government as well.
I mean just look at our own country.
Look at what is happening in Flint Michigan, a travesty directly brought on by governmental greed.
How many leaders have we had killed and replaced with US controlled politicians? Politicians who went on to fuck every thing up.
We aren't even hiding the fact that we sell weapons to Saudi Arabia.

In order to obtain World Peace, a lot of people would have to get fucked over. People who are technically in the right, as dictated by the laws that govern.

To be fair everyone is effectively a figurehead with DOOM running the show.
If South Africans started turning South Africa into South Africa he'd put an end to that shit and they'd just have to enjoy their new Minority Rule of DOOMbots.

Even with their knowledge, citizens cannot retaliate either under threat of law or simply because they need to worry about their own lives.
But a Supervillain?
A hypothetical who has all of the resources, but nothing to hold them back?

Who is to say they are villains for killing a few who oppose, when we send our troops to die in wars that we directly began.