Aladdin does not take place in the future

All the modern references the genie makes can be explained by the simple fact that he can time travel.

I'm unaware there was any debate about this

He's just semi-omniscient you dip

I mean, there's not much to discuss here OP.

>Aladdin does not take place in the future
Did people think it did?

Kevin said last thread that Aladdin was in the future and I told him he was wrong but he just kept saying it so I wanted to make this thread to make sure everyone knew that its just a dumb theory that doesnt make any sense.

This. I always thought that joke about Aladdin clothes being too 3rd century was a subtle way to tell us the movie time.

Idiots will look for depth in any old puddle wont they.

Just a debate among autists.

Also the fact that genies are known to tell the future.

If he can time travel, why was he so suprised when he was freed?

It's not even that they reason things out to this point, but that some seem to think this somehow adds something to the story.

What does it add? Is it now some metaphor for man's own folly? Is this the only way some people can derive value from a piece of fiction? If it's only written as a means to comment on civilization as a whole?

It literally adds nothing, just like every "it's really all a dream" or "they're all really dead" theory about every show that's ever come up.

Wait, this wasn't obvious?

They did the same thing with Merlin in Sword in the Stone.

Fan theories are all absolute garbage

It goes beyond that, Genie is aware of the fact he's in a movie as well.

Aladdin is set in the future, after islam took over america.

Or or, and this might just sound crazy, he is simply a fourth wall breaking character like has been present in theatre since the Greeks were on top of the civilization pole.

If genies are real in the aladdinverse, does that mean allah is the one true god of that universe?

It shares a universe with Hercules

Dude, but what if... what if it was all a DREAM?

Nah, he's just magic.

>Agrabah is actually in Arizona