How could the highest grossing movie of all time be so irrelevant in pop culture?

How could the highest grossing movie of all time be so irrelevant in pop culture?

Other urls found in this thread:

jamescamerononline.com/AvatarMerch.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

everyone except reddit knows that money has no correlation to quality.

>get BTFO in the other thread
>make a new one

embarrassing

If Empire strikes back had come out 10 years after A new hope, people would be calling Star wars "culturally irrelevant" too

That is an interesting question. When the sequels finally hit, we'll see a some kind of an answer on if it had any staying power.

3D revival meant tickets cost more

and because 3D revivalism was novel again back in 2009 more people opted to see it in 3D as opposed to TFA where people were done with the gimmick by then and more chose to watch in 2D

Star Wars remained relevant more than a year after it released, same can't be said of Avatar.

Gone With The Wind grossed more.

it is pretty weird indeed. nobody remembers this flick, no quote became famous, it killed the career of every actor involved. i have no idea how it was so successful

Because it's shit.

If you want to see a mass of bored, apathetic fat people go to Avatar Land at Disney World. It's crowded but it's just people walking through it to see, nobody seems interested in anything.

I mean they're very similar movies. Generic characters and story, amazing everywhere else.

All flash no substance. Cartoonish villain, and a hamfisted message on big business running the military industrial complex. Its not that is relevant, its just done poorly.

Avatar was just some weird phenomenon that we all let happen because we were too tired to fight about it and the whole thing was stupid in the first place. Like Hands Across America.

I thought it was the Titans movies that killed Sam Worthington's career

This. I went there in July and god bless the employees they were trying to get people to care but nobody did
>cast member told some kid it was a banshee like 5 times but he kept calling it a dragon thing

>highest grossing movie of all time
Mfw I snuck into this movie with a group of friends after seeing Sherlock Homes

Its gross was largely pumped by the 3D-graze. And I'm not denying that it wasn't a nice experience in 3D, but It's also a movie I have not seen since as I didn't think there was anything else in it besides the tech.

But that tech in itself was also a big driver, as when I did see it, the audience was very atypical on what you'd expect to see in a sci-fi flick audience.

>How could the highest grossing movie of all time be so irrelevant in pop culture?

Because a diference of Star Wars, Avatar didnt produce
a lot of subproducts/tie-ins, some Jewelery and the OST.

No novels/comics. 1 videogame. Barely 1 toyline and 1 modelkit set. Still surprise me how small is the derivated/legacy products/
jamescamerononline.com/AvatarMerch.htm

>Homes

He's not talking about quality. He's saying how can a film that was so incredibly widely seem make no impact on pop culture what so ever.

They did try to create merchandise, but it just didn't sell.

Alice in Wonderland (the 2010 movie), made over one billion dollars. At one point it was the 5th highest grossing movie of all time. Like Avatar, it rode the 3D phase. And like Alice, Avatar's sequel is destined to drop like a rock in term of commercial success.

Because people fell for the meme. Literally.

Avatar was well-made technically, and "pioneered" new cgi tech, but the concept was tired, the script sucked, the characters were one dimensional and clichéd, it was too fucking long and it hit you over the head with its childish environmentalist message.

I didn't see it in the theaters, I saw it when it came out on DVD, and I didn't like it. I didn't see what the big deal was. I think everyone who saw it in theaters was rused into thinking it was a good movie because muh special effects, but it was actually really mediocre. If it was a truly good film, it would hold up on the small screen. But it doesn't.

Tbe awful obsessive fanbase only makes it all worse. Stories of people seeing it in the theaters dozens of times, and becoming depressed when the movie ends each time. What the fuck

To me it is a horrible nightmare that this timeline has multiple Avatar sequels in store, I just want all the stupid ugly blue shit to go away

All I remember from Avatar is that every fucking movie for 2 years following it were 3D to try and cash in on the hype.

You don’t have to make it seem like avatar has been shoved in your face for the last decade. It came and went in 2009 and then has fucked off since. And what obsessive fan base?

>To me it is a horrible nightmare that this timeline has multiple Avatar sequels in store, I just want all the stupid ugly blue shit to go away

I feel the same way, user. Cameron is pissing his talent away on this shit.

It's the power of hype. Just look at DIsney Marvel and Star War garbage. It's hyper hyped before the release. One year later nobody remembers anything about that trash but that's okay, they have a crapshit being hyped again and again.

Maybe not the last decade, but it actually was shoved in my face as (((the best movie ever made))) etc, etc for at least 2-3 years after its release ad nauseum. Much like Titanic (another overrated Cameron flick) Avatar was fucking everywhere for a while and it wore itself out in pop culture so fucking much during that time that I had my fill of Avatar for the rest of my life. I don't need sequels.

The movie came out eight years ago tard. Of course a kid doesn't know about it
You have to fucking go back with your reddit opinion.

The obsessive annoying fan base that literally created a new form of sexuality and fetish based off the N'avi or whatever

It didn't even get a videogame because not even a year into developing it they realized everybody stopped caring.

How is this opinion reddit? Because you don't agree with it? Because Avatar is a redditcore normie as fuck movie and you're lame for liking it. Shit is a 4/10 film, and that's being generous

t. someone who wasn't there

There has to be at least one video game

> highest grossing
> came out in the peak of over-priced 3D movies

What are you smoking? The late 70s was infested with Star Wars knock-offs on cinema and TV because of its popularity. Literal change on pop culture.

The movie looks like those ugly dolphin airbrush pictures from the 80s. Tasteless since day one.

>James Cameron isn't a toy/cinematic universe jew
>gets shit for it
I hate you Sup Forums

It was the first to do 3D correctly. That's about it. The story itself has been done a thousand times and is forgettable.

>he's actually unironically defending Avatar

Embarrassing desu

there was a video game. It actually let you play as the humans and win too.

Nowadays it wouldn't get one because for better or worse movie tie-in games are dead

For what I've seen the merch focused too much on the boring humans and humanoids. They should have given more atention to the monsters, they looked nice.

Untrue
Literally not true either

Hey dipshit I said the kid refused to call it a banshee even AFTER being told what it was called. That was just one example of all of the kids and adults being disinterested in “the world” and just wanted to ride the ride

That's americans for you

You're right. That's why no one remembers A New Hope either.

Because it was a fucking gimmick movie that was mediocre at best, plus it's numbers were inflated from 3d/iMAX ticket prices

this makes me very sad

the essential part of the movie was to present a visually stunning piece made through innovation and hard work, they wouldn't sacrifice all that for a wacky experimental plot that may or may not resonate with the audience.
the script was masterfully crafted to be generic and appealing to everyone.
basically it was a presentation of the technology not the plot.
also, no one who saw the flick will ever forget it and i can't wait for the sequel.

>go to see movie
>caught by meme
>am hype
>go with buddy user
>buddy user is red river Lakota
>buddy user walks the fuck out
>walk out with buddy user
>why the fuck are people watching that shit?
>i don't know user
Still don't know. The whole thing feels like one big ruse. And there's already a trilogy in the pipe? Fucking why?

That's wrong. It Avatar was milked for all its worth.

But ask that kid what a chewbacca is and he'll tell ya
Avatar is irrelevant. Just because you saw it when you were 7 doesn't mean it's suddenly worth anything

I saw it when I was 11, thank you very much.

I have big tolerance for shit movies, but this was one of the few times I got out of the kinoplex feeling anger towards a movie

>Watch trailers, everyone says this is technological masterpiece because "muh 3D"
>Plot seems uninteresting as fuck, environmental movies are generally boring as fuck
>Don't give a fuck about CGI characters unless it's Toy Story
>Actually saw some of it when brother was watching it on HBO, all it's appeal is gone w/o 3D, was like watching an even more awful version of FernGully

Just shut the fuck up. You aren't even the same person you were eight years ago.

Generic or not, I remember how tense and exited everyone on the theater was during the final battle. I wonder if people will remember thatose feelings and go see the sequels when they come out, hoping for a similar experience. I wonder if the next movies can appeal the same way even if it's safe.

what

sometime i like to read post like this in an excessively British accent. makes the whole charade so much more incising.
Try it, you'll love it, I'm sure.

Fucking reddit hiveminding circlewanking fuckwad. Go back to your containment website. You're literally parroting everyone else's opinion.

I went to see avatar in cinema just because guy in my class raved how great the 3d was

Fucking ameritard, you couldn't even do a British accent if you tried. British people can do both accents if raised in an appropriate environment.
>he can only do one accent
niggaaaHH

So in your mind the only non-reddit opinion is to think it was a good movie? Why do you resort to name calling when people disagree with your opinion?

Blue is an unrelatable color for the audience. It was only successful through gimmick and a very good advertising campaign.

I am actually British, but i totally get your criticism... I'm just drunk and it seemed funnier in said accent. luv ya

>movie is 90% CGI fuckfest and 10% substance
>how could it be so irrelevant to the (pop) culture?

okay sorry

>6 movies planned along multiple toylines and an Avatar themepark

So in your mind the only non-reddit opinion is to think it was a good movie?
Yes.

>They did try to create merchandise, but it just didn't sell.

Merchandise sold well, but was never the focus or main point. Cameron was more interested in sell 3D cameras and hardware for cinemas.

He was less interested in the Lucas model of bussines. There is zero mythology of Avatar/Pandora beside the movie, zero, no comics or novels ever. Indeed by 2013 cameron was interested in produce novels, but was dropped because he started to focus on the films instead and he decided the novels will be a better tie in for the new movies.

>Actually saw some of it when brother was watching it on HBO, all it's appeal is gone w/o 3D

It´s like Terminator 3D (the ride), if you take out the 3D aspect, you kill what make it special

Pretty much you choose the shitty version of the experience.

marketing =/= substance

What are you talking about? We're talking about its effect on pop culture, not quality of the movies. And even then, Stars Wars at least had memorable characters, quotable lines, etc. Avatar doesn't have any of that.

James Cameron isn't even that interested in the franchise, he has put it on the back burner for so many years and he hasn't made any serious efforts to continue, just interviews saying he will make more

>The movie came out eight years ago tard. Of course a kid doesn't know about it

So a movie has been out for a nearly a decade and if the demographic most ripe for imprinting with pop culture is unaware of said product, what does it say for the product itself?

Iconic pop culture figures like Tupac are even still recognizable by kids even if the figure's prime occurred more than 8 years ago.

Shit is already on production

i saw it in theater in 2D when it came out and it sucked

If it has no impact then why is Disney's Avatar Land doing extremely well, enough for them to consider building ones at their other parks?

I was specifically talking about the first Star Wars film. It definitely didn't have that much character development, most of that came in Empire Strikes Back. Who's to say that the Avatar sequels won't have that?(At least as much as you can get out of Sam Worthington)

This

No, it is true. There's still some of it floating around, but nobody really cares. And the game was released on several platforms as well.

#AvatarSoWhite

>dances with wolves BUT IN BLUE 3D AND IMAX

Yeah I doubt a knock off would be a pop culture icon

>So many anally-devastated Redditors in this thread.
Damn, this movie really triggers you lot, doesn't it?

>didn't have that much character development
New Hope took place over a few days, maybe a week depending on how fast the Falcon can get from Tatooine to Aleraan to Yavin. How much do you think people's personalities can change in a fucking week?

I browse /d/ every day and have only seen one navi thread in years

You're full of shit

>Watch it in theater
>WOAH THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME
>I UNIRONICALLY HAVE AN ERECTION GIVE ME THE BLUE ALIEN TITTIES
>watch it in theater again
>ehh this is ok

'Murikan "culture" is not compatible with rebels winning a war.

Well shit, Can't argue with those trips

will we get another qt avatar girl in the sequel?

Because it was shit and has been done before but better.

> irrelevant movie
> 9 years later two threads in the catalog about it
Pick 1

>implying Americans don't idolize rebels and lost causes
Nigger we were the rebels fighting an evil empire

They're discussing why it's irrelevant now, and the other countdown poster is just a bot/loser. Nobody makes threads about avatar because it's braindead shlock with nothing interesting or groundbreaking about it.

I don't get the hatred some people have for the movie. Avatar's not the best movie ever, but it's far from the worst.

It's an enjoyable movie that still mostly holds up visually and has great music.

And the Extended Collectors Edition is objectively the best cut.

bahahahahahahaha

Because Roger Dean had already blown everyone's minds with Avatar's visuals decades before.

Everyone says it's culturally irrelevant and forgotten but it's such a simple story I don't anyone has really forgotten the bare bones of the plot.
That simplicity will do wonders for the sequels.
The world is already established and anyone can essentially just pick up the sequels and continue on.
The way I see it, Cameron got his shitty prequel out of the way first and will now be able move the series into very interesting areas.

>And the Extended Collectors Edition is objectively the best cut.
Do you get to see naytiri's titties?