ITT: Movies made for smart people

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt0056732/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ie Movies to make people that they are smart

You gonna start, OP?

smart people read books
/thread

What about movies that have the same level of symbolism, like The Shining, but actually have compelling characters, a compelling story, fantastic visuals that don't look like baby's first motion picture after doing nothing but shitty indie films, also like The Shining? It seems like if you call Donnie Darko, great, or even good, you basically can't possibly use any language to express how good The Shining is by comparison.

Just delete this.

Try this
imdb.com/title/tt0056732/

this

the shining is enjoyable for dumb normies on the surface.

but if you are smart, you get to explore the deeper layers of it and it becomes much better

its ok if you dont enjoy it. dont take it personally that you arent smart enough

said fedora man

And what is this supposed to represent? Even if it were more plausible that there's a hidden meaning as opposed to a movie error, (which I seriously question), it doesn't necessarily mean anything except that something spooky is happening, which is obvious. Adding details like this does not significantly improve the film, which is great because of the elements anyone can get.

Smart people know books are a waste of time

none of the above

can confirm, one of my favourite films

its hard to explain this stuff to dumb people. if you dont get it by now, there's not much i can do

The theatrical cut was a fluke in that it was one of the few made better by having such severe cuts as it left a lot of ambiguity.
When he was able to produce a director's cut it really removed a lot of the mystery and made the the whole enterprise boring by trying to explain a lot of it.

Pointing out possible instances of hidden symbolism isn't the same as indicating what it means, or why it significantly makes the movie better.

life is waste of time

>directing mistake
WOIW HES';S A GENIUS
*slurp slurp*

autistism detected

you dont have to understand something to know why it's interesting

all jokes aside, this is still one of the best films of the past 20 years

killing yourself, however, would be time well spent

test

fight club, inception.. the list goes on

Well, it is interesting, but there's little coherency to what these details would mean, or whether they're even intended or meant to have any meaning. The most plausible and impactful conclusion to be derived from any of these details is that Jack molested or abused Danny, which actually doesn't impact the plot that much or add much significance. I guess it would explain why Danny is so distant from his parents, but very quickly, that's explained by supernatural distractions. Everything else just seems like references to other parts of the movie, and far-fetched references that don't add much meaning either.

It's not really for smart people, as much as people who are obsessed with certain movies revealing what small details they've observed think have hidden meaning and offering theories as to what it is. So who's supposed to be smart either, everyone who watched Room 237, of the makers of that movie? I dissent.

this movie makes no sense

Kubrick shills man...

You really have to know your science

>being so new youre threading yourself

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Donnie Darko. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewers head. There's also Donnie's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Donnie Darko truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Frank's existential catchphrase "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?" which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Richard Kelly's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.
And yes, by the way, i DO have a Donnie Darko tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

is this the new pasta by pewdiepie shills

The movies plot is somewhat complex, but if you can wrap your brain around the way the time travel works (which isn't hard) than you can understand it.

The problem is that it's pretty clear that they tried to make it more difficult to follow by showing us things out of order, and providing as little information as possible within the scenes. In other words they were trying to confuse the audience.

It was enjoyable and if you rewatch chunks of the movie a few times over again you will pick up the stuff you missed.

That being said I am glad that this sort of thing isn't more common place in the industry, I would not want to have to do that on every other movie.

How so?

It requires some knowledge of the shady business in california and their water supply to fully understand it

>88225681
Not really, since the movie explains it all to you.

>nevermind jack, it's chinatown
best ending