Comfy Merlin Thread

>In a land of myth and a time of magic, the destiny of a great kingdom rests on the shoulders of a young boy.
There's nothing like this absolute kìnô.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Dick_and_Dom
twitter.com/AnonBabble

favourite episodes OP? I like the one with the unicorn and the dragonlord episode.

I'm a sucker for the comic relief ones. The one with the goblin who possessed Gaius comes to mind.

i really really really tried to watch it because it looks so cosy but the black girl really ruining it for me

What's with the Dr. Who pose?

That was a really funny one, although how many times in the series did we get a "friend is enchanted/possessed by magic and turns evil" episode? Feels like it happened every 3 episodes.

Yeah it's BBC so there's bound to be some of that. But idk I got over it pretty quickly since it's clearly not supposed to be historical.

just imagine its a wacky slave trying to fit it and it will become enjoyable

I like the Fisher King episode

>Pagans literally dindu nuffin
>Kilgharrah convinces the potential saviour of the old ways to devote his life to Arthur
>Convinces him to destroy paganism
>Condemns him to immortality

Fuck this dragon.

>caring about the presence of black people in a show with magic, dragons and faggot twinks

There are some recycled elements yeah. Isn't that really the entire Morgana plotline too?

Yeah the final scene of the last episode was so sad. Come to think of it, the entire episode was kind of shit. Not the ending I would have wanted.
Also checked.

I guess. Never really understood why Morgana went full evil either. IIRC its basically
>Uther is an asshole I wanna kill him
>Uther is dead
>Arthur is actually a good person
>Whatever I wanna kill him and become queen

Did I miss something? I really need to rewatch this show.

Tbh desu I cried at the last ep.
In the end Arthur didn't care about the magic, he still loved Merlin.
>"just hold me"

>Uther is deus vult
>Arthur is deus vult

>black people in arthurian stories

The episode where Gaius just shrugs off the tomb curse saying "don't be silly Gaius that's just a load of superstition" but the previous episode had someone executed for just unknowingly interact with a wizard.

There was the deal with her sister as well. Did she blame Arthur for her death or something? I don't quite remember either.

>its another 'but dragons and magic' redditor
Piss off. if you're gonna do a medieval setting, actually make it accurate. One of the BBC's tenets is to be educational, so to act like they're completely free of criticism in this aspect is just stupid.

Nah she sacrificed her sister to try and kill Uther and Arthur.
Morgause turned her by reminding her of the persecution being carried out by Uther (I think)?

Great characters, the cast had good chemistry, were really enjoyable to watch on screen. Just a shame this was being handled by the BBC which is populated with the worst writers in the biz.

>you will never walk the earth, waiting for your love to return from death
>if, that is
Being Merlin is suffering.

desu I'd only be pissed off if the show was trying to portray itself as authentic and historical and included blacks, but since it doesn't pretend to portray medieval england accurately, honestly who gives a fuck?

Yeah that's hers and Morded's main motivation all along. Just don't remember why she goes for Arthur, maybe just cause he doesn't trust magic.

Best knight coming through.

>The episode where Ghost Uther comes back and attacks Arthur, Merlin and Gwen whilst telling Arthur he's weak.

What was his end game?

>you'll never get the rounds in for this lad

Fucking a troll.

this has probably something to do with that i've read fantasy novels since i was 12 and grew up in a very white society, i saw black people in my mid 20s for the first itme so....

What was the show called that was like this but had Dick and Dom? I remember getting really high and watching it while I was at Uni.

Spamalot.

A FUCKING WHITE TROLL

No, it was a TV show not a play.

oops no

The Legend of Dick and Dom

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Dick_and_Dom

>have to go on a 3 season long quest of fucking around with a wizard that's shit at magic and a thief because your mate dropped the antidote to the plague
K I N O

>i saw black people in my mid 20s for the first itme so
where the fuck did you live?

what's wrong with his face?

This show any good? I tried watching the first episode and it seemed like some nickelodeon show aimed at teenagers.

Does the tone change at all of is it just as shit later on?

>that fag from Humans as young Merlin

nope

I watched it and it's hit and miss. It's funny 50% but sometimes it's too silly.

Hard to marathon I guess because it gets boring.

First season and the last two are totally different in tone.

But more importantly, was he /ourguy/?

>nigger princess

HA!

>Morgana in that gothic outfit
Only reason I kept watching it with my family

bump

I remember her having really bad facial hair in the first season

>Guinevere
>name literally means "the white lady"
>pagan embodiment of the land of Britain itself
>played by a nigger

a beautiful place most likely

I keep meaning to watch this. Should I?

Christ that takes me back, can't believe it started 9 years ago. I really liked it, especially the first few series. It was nice having a family-friendly saturday evening fantasy series. It was a nice way to bridge the gap between Doctor Who series, same way the Robin Hood BBC series did before Merlin. Shame they stopped doing stuff like that.

The CGI was absolutely, laughably terrible though.

Such a good cast. The younger not yet established actors were really good, and Richard Wilson as Gaius and Anthony Head as the King (why did they kill him off man) were great. Not to mention John Hurt as that dragon. I seem to remember there being quite a few good cameo appearances as well like Charles Dance.

This started out really good, but about halfway through, when Morgana became the big bad all the episodes felt very same-y. Less magical adventures and discoveries and more "Morgana's evil plan of the week" going on

This is why I havnt watched the show. As a hispanic it would annoy me if they had cast a hispanic character in a medieval setting. It's always a black person too, they're always crying about wanting to be represented. I'll eventually watch it i guess. Interesting thread.

yeah a lot of shows fall into that same "pinky and the brain" thing where the villain just does the same thing every episode

It's extremely formulaic. Merlin has to keep his magic a secret from Arthur and all his friends because magic is outlawed. So you're frequently forced to watch a "Oh no! He's been exposed! Just kidding lol." plot twist each episode. It becomes tiresome. Also Gwenevere's actress is the ugliest bitch on the planet.

Other than that it's a decent time killer.

I enjoyed it a lot, and the first few series were really good. Then again, I was a teenager at the time so I don't know how it holds up. I remember getting very disenchanted with it later on feeling that it overstayed its welcome
Worth watching the first series though to see if you like it

Kara: "L-L-Lena?!"

I'd like to test that theory

Merlin was pretty decent. It tried to do a Harry Potter and "grow with its audience" though and failed at it.
It started out quite light-hearted, but the last two series had shock-horror and jump-scare moments forced in the episodes and it really didn't feel right.

Also, not even a fangirl/hambeast/fujoshi or whatever they're called, but the relationship, or rather bromance between Merlin and Arthur developing throughout the series was the best part of the show. They really took their time, but by the end they were true bros.

>first series finale
>no word of a recommission yet
>tricking us to think Gaius was going to die
I was in fucking tears. Gaius was the best character

>the relationship, or rather bromance between Merlin and Arthur developing throughout the series was the best part of the show.
I liked that too. I had a couple female classmates at the time who wrote fanfiction about them and openly stated they should fuck and that kinda annoyed me. It's like younger girls can't understand platonic, true friendship between men without resorting to bumsex

>The CGI was absolutely, laughably terrible though.
I wish I had the willpower to show some examples but I do remember the CGI for the magical creatures to be abysmal, probably all the budget went into the dragon (which I think re-used a lot earlier shots as well)