What did he mean by this?

What did he mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=chRopi9X_xQ
youtube.com/watch?v=eqBH8pmYIr0
youtube.com/watch?v=jjPxlzjuLww
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It means this guy wants to learn how intertia works and why it's best not to mess with cabbies who just want to be nice.

Is it possible to emanate more spaghetti in that situation?

He didn't even let the guy finish. What a pompous prat.

>I am very superior to this buffoonish prole who serves me
Charming fellow.

>"Modern Liberalism, the character, the comic"..

smug superiority without any merit, cause, or proof.

It's one thing to shit on superheroes or call them kiddie garbage. But "patriotism?" And "religion?" That's just being a prick.

Goddamn, it's impressive how quickly you can come to hate the bearded dude.

And don't tell me, you're supposed to be on his side, right?

He's browbeating the guy for indulging in hero worship, treating superhero stories seriously. He's being an asshole of course, the book's humor is derived from how much of an asshole he is to the unsuspecting (undeserving?) people he meets.

Does this guy get beaten at all? If he does I'd read it.

Is this guy French? He comes off as French...

He gets arrested for six years

Wilson truly is the tiger-force at the core of all things.

>rant to a guy who's only driving you home about how enlightened and inteligent you are for not watching a movie
>neither batman or iron man even have super powers

>tfw you knew guys that would do this because they were that lonely
he gets schooled pretty hard. If I remember right he ends up in prison.

All he does is get beaten.

>the book's humor is derived from how much of an asshole he is to the unsuspecting (undeserving?) people he meets.
that's not funny

nice numbers Dormy we should barter sometime.
the bigger issue with this guy is he has basically destroyed his life and brow beats in hopes it ease the pain he has made of his life.
In irony he destroy his life by most just not living it till it was to late.

It seems to me that it's supposed to be apparent that this guy is kind of a weirdo asshole.

He has high expectations for his species, that's all.

I mean, he's not wrong, but still kind of a dick.

>And don't tell me, you're supposed to be on his side, right?
You're not. You're not supposed to be against him either. It's a comic without sides.

Daniel Clowes is a national treasure.

>You're not supposed to be against him either.
The comic probably has four sides.

You know a man has lost his life when he wants to bring people down about theirs.

i don't get it, is this guy suppose to be the writer's mouth piece for his "deep" thinking and self indulgence or is he a parody of those kind of people everyone hates?

No one likes thier job. Work for your 401k and then spend the last 15-25 years of your life drinking and sitting around, don't bust your ass till you die because you 'like' something.

it's one of many types he writes about.
And love or hate I can count a lot of people like him that I have met in the world.

I'm gonna say more the later.

He's a parody.

He develops deep thoughts eventually. Then he dies, as is the fate of all people.

Taxi drivers are single-serving people most of the time, so you can really be yourself around them and fuck with them and be annoying and funny like you wouldn't with people nearby you, and they have to endure it to get paid and they'll put up with your shit for a little while if they never have to see you again. It's therapeutic actually

The poor guy literally never even finished a sentence. And what's worse, if the guy had kept it to one word answers, would have just happened instead.

user you might as well get bitchy that people waste their time with hobbies or relationships
everyone is different and many like the idea of what good work can bring.
I get it if it's not your cup of tea but you scream of insecurities if you have to think your way is the "right" one.

well, thats why you just beat the shit out of him.

its his fault really, there isn't any other winning retort.

That's the point, he hates his life and needs a fight he can win or at the very least feels like he matters

Wilson is pretty intentionally detestable. I don't think he's a Clowes mouthpiece at all, but I think they probably do share some opinions.

>annoying
Sure
>Funny
Not nearly as you think.

I'm an Uber driver, I'll laugh and don't really give a shit if you want to play big shot but you put your fucking hand on my seat my hand is going to go to my gun.

>No one likes thier job.
I like my job. It can suck sometimes but on the whole I really like what I do for a living.

Neither.

He's a character. He has a personality. He has positive and negative traits.

Good characters aren't representative of one particular idea or perspective. Real people are complex and often have conflicting viewpoints, and good characters reflect that.

It's sad that we're so used to single page strips like this being used solely to either push the author's perspective, ostracize another perspective, or both that we are confused when one does neither.

Having read similar statements from Clowes himself, It means that Dan Clowes is aware he's a pretentious loudmouth who looks down on the plebes, but he cant help himself so he channels it though Wilson.

I suppose if you like sucking cock you might as well get paid for it. That's what made your mom so successful.

It's not that i don't understand the character it's that nothing about the character is entertaining or engaging enough to make me want to read further.

He means that he's objectively better than people who like things that he dislikes He's wrong

It's one book. You can't understand the character if you haven't actually read it.

>I get it if it's not your cup of tea but you scream of insecurities if you have to think your way is the "right" one.
This, any person I meet irl that takes that attitude usually is just upset because he wants the life a good job brings but hates the idea of it so he has to demonize anyone that enjoys their work life and what it brings because they become envious of what they have.

I think it's more that nobody really wants to be forced to work for a living. If you could do the parts of your job you enjoy on your own time then yeah, you'll enjoy it, but being forced to go in every day and deal with whatever bullshit might come up can be not fun. Nobody enjoys 100% of whatever their job is, unless they get paid to get blowjobs whenever they want.

Wilson is Clowes' biggest fear: Clowes fears that, one day, Clowes will become Wilson.

It's just like in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, when Luke's biggest fear was that Luke was becoming like Darth Vader.

P.S.
Star Wars is for kids, not adults. Just like Batman.

Poe's Law is a harsh mistress.

it is annoying seeing humans dipict themselves on the same scale as gods

>that guy who is such an inssuferable cunt the fucking cab driver who has been driving for over 14 hours, the last 2 completely alone doesnt want to talk to
cape movies are shit tho

Can confirm, being in a cab with a pissed off driver is hell.

>Be 15
>Second ever cab ride, first one went fine
>Driver is a huge black guy
>Like, "how did he fit into that car?" huge
>Tell him to drive me to my house
>He's screaming into his cell phone the whole time
>Pissed off at his best friend because he did something with his dog
>Screaming and making death threats
>Drives at 90 mph on city streets
>Runs every red light
>Flips random people the finger
>Eats some kind of smelly roast-beef while screaming
>The steering wheel is covered in grease
>Once he's in my neighborhood, he drives around the block really fast because he doesn't want to stop driving because he wants to drive and scream at the same time
>Ask him to let me out
>He lets me out, I pay
>He offers me some smelly roast-beef
>I decline, it's been sitting on his lap and all over is fingers the whole time
>Gets back on his phone, drives away really fast

It was terrifying at the time, but now I think it's pretty funny.

youtube.com/watch?v=chRopi9X_xQ

That's some grade A bitterness there, nonnie.

I'm giving advice, I'm making okay enough money, I clock in doing pointless work and then eight hours later I clock out. It took 6 years of school but I have my debt paid off and I don't need to worry about getting laid off because it's always hiring because no one wants or thinks about the job. I have money and free time to do pointless work and call it a hobby to pass time.

Thirty years from now I'll retire and spend the rest of my days with nothing but time and not having to deal with the shit people who do thier hobby for a job have to deal with.

The execution was okay but I think your overall composition of the retort could have used some work. The "your mom" bit was pretty unnecessary, but the first part was alright (if a bit uncreative).

>I'm giving advice
>No one likes thier job.
> don't bust your ass till you die because you 'like' something.
sounds more like you take issue with people that work hard. Which is really weird.

Who was worse, this girl or the Hugh Mungus lady?

Why work hard if just doing work is enough? You're not solving cancer or doing anything important, most jobs are completly perfunctory and could disappear from the face of the earth and no one would miss it. You don't need to like your job to get what people would call a good life, you just need to do it and not be terrible at it.

>he's not wrong

Yes, he is.

>he doesn't want to stop driving because he wants to drive and scream at the same time
I'm in tears. This is the funniest shit I've ever read

>Why work hard if just doing work is enough?
you are missing the bigger point of why care?
much like the guy in the story posted you are basically getting wrap up in what others do in events that hold nothing to you. So it comes off as you being insecure.

I like shooting the shit on Sup Forums.

and there's always the decay in pleasure in jobs overtime.

youtube.com/watch?v=eqBH8pmYIr0

These type of people are the reason Trump won.

>Watching kid movie is the same thing as religion or patritosm

How?

Also
>Patriotism is a bad thing
>sicko_burning_USflag_kellycomic.jpg

I don't get it so working in menagement is a bad thing because...?
I don't know what kind of answer he wanted, it looks like all jobs are bad for this asshole besides being BLM supporter

>Guy is busy, working on computer
>Hey shithead I am talking to you!

Is he autistic or something? He doesn't know that you can't interrupt someone's work?

And this is how you recognize a liberal.

Broadly targeted blockbusters are different than children's movies.

i feel sorry for that cabbie

I like how you can read the ending several different ways.

I'm reminded of that fuckwit with a beard, bowtie, suspenders, and thick rimmed glasses that was making airplane arms while talking shit about Superman.

You should have taken some beef

So this guy is like one of those Sup Forums niggers that simply cannot hide their power level and have to go around "redpilling" and "truthbombing" everyone despite the fact that fuckers just want to get on with their lives

I don't understand why anyone would willingly read this

Some people enjoy watching real life trainwrecks.

Is this comic about this guy having a mildly valid point but engendering a backlash in the reader by being an insufferable prick?

>tfw too intelligent to not be a gigantic fucking asshole at every single opportunity

You're definitely a social retard.

Is this comic author's self insert? Like author trying to say that he is "ourguy" or something?

Read the fucking thread, Wilson is ment to be despicable on purpose

The whole point of Wilson is that he's an unlovable fuckup that drives everyone around him away.

>tfw too intelligent to collect neetbux

His summation in the second to last panel is entirely wrong at least regarding the Dark Knight. I don't see how does it endorse the idea of America being the best country, and surely has nothing to do with religion too. And even casuals know that Batman doesn't have superpowers.

Obviously the second.

He's a bloody cunt mate. The point of the comic is that he's THAT guy and you want to see him get destroyed by someone else.

He's not saying that the Dark Knight has anything involving religion or politics. He's comparing superhero worship to patriotic worship and religious worship. It's one page, you could at least make an effort to read it.

Saying Batman or Iron Man don't have superpowers is hairsplitting; they're still "superheroes" and can be subject to the kind of veneration Mr. Prick describes.

Welcome to Clowes.

Both.

You best start believing in comic book movies, Wilson, you're in one.
youtube.com/watch?v=jjPxlzjuLww

I thought he was Wilson just from reading 8 ball. His sork all nas the stink of adolescent "I'm the only one who sees it!" revelation.

His argument makes little sense.
He assumes it's for kids cause it is about a superhero?
I mean that is just ass-backwards thinking, especially for someone who made a comic.

I have read a lot of the major indie/underground guys: Ware, Brown, Matt, Seth, ect. Crumb, Pekar and Hanselmen are the only ones I've actually enjoyed.

I think the specificity of The Dark Knight is a red herring; he's wrong to make judgements about it when he clearly knows nothing about it.

But that doesn't mean his assessment of the superhero genre might not have merit.

You're not supposed to like him

>he didn't take some beef
The fuck is your problem, asshole?

>Star Wars is for kids, not adults. Just like Batman

say user posting on Sup Forums

Shut it down, boys.
We've reached Peak Irony.

>Why work hard if just doing work is enough

personal fulfillment. Also better chance for a raise

Needs a fedora

not blue collar enough

He's not in the age range that idolizes fedoras.

Maybe Sup Forums has trouble understanding this comic because all our usual protagonists are teens or in their twenties.