What did you guys think of this ?

what did you guys think of this ?

I forgot >just how good an actor Nicolas Cage was once upon a time.

Was so well written and intricately crafted up till that point. I think the film even alludes to how the ending will be received when Charlie talks to his female friend about the theatre.

Other urls found in this thread:

cnbc.com/2017/05/10/craziest-things-nicholas-cage-bought-with-150-million.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I meant

>Everything after Miami is a fucking *car crash*. Was so well written and intricately crafted up till that point. I think the film even alludes to how the ending will be received when Charlie talks to his female friend about the theatre.

Are you saying this was a bad movie?

Good movie. Made me want to be a screenwriter.

ok so the part where it 'changes'...yes, everything after that is 'cheap' and very hollywood-like, and basically everything he says at the beginning of the movie he didn't want to do with it, BUT that little talk they have while hiding behind the log is pretty damn good, and that cause/effect propulsive writing isn't all that easy to do. It's still possible to tell a meaningful, good story even with the 'typical' tools

bad movie ? no, not at all.

I think it was a potentially amazing movie that was let down by an arbitrary ending. For a duo as creative as Jonze and Kaufman, I just felt like they could have created something more. It ends up following the plot of unnecessary twists, surprises that it warns against. Maybe that adds to the surealness of it, i don't know

Yeah, I got the meta references to the ending. I get what you're saying about the log, it just went from something so introspective, intruiging, innovative, to a pretty run of the mill chase flick sequence. I suppose that added to how surreal it was in a way, maybe that was the original intention. Or maybe it was a complete u-turn which made it even more surreal, idk.

I've been an aspiring screenwriter for years, but managing that with my normal life hasn't been easy. Never got round to watching this for some reason.

>it just went from something so introspective, intruiging, innovative, to a pretty run of the mill chase flick sequence
That's literally the point, so you evidently don't get the meta reference

i understood it, and going back to the introduction it was foreshadowed too. i understand it, but i don't necessarily think it's the best they could have done.

part of me was expecting Charlie's twin brother to be a split personality projection of himself.

The ending of Being John Malkovich was so absurdly strong that I just expected more.

Fuck Charlie Kaufman for inserting himself in this story. Chris Cooper's character was actually interesting, Kaufman is just yet another self-loathing beta male.

Chris Cooper's character was a self-loathing drug addict.

And he still managed to be a fun, likeable character who I wanted to see more off. A shy Jew sitting in front of a screenplay and forcing himself into it because he has writers' block isn't.

The point is that Charlie can't end the movie in a satisfactory way, so he lets his brother take over, and he writes the hackiest ending in existence.

Forcing himself into the movie in the first place is already hacky.

1337 comment. To each his own. I didn't find him likeable after he agreed to kill a man because a pseudo-MILF he was pussy-whipped by ordered him to.

I didn't like it but I really respected it and how it led on from/bled into Being John Malkovich.

Yeah, and that's more bullshit Kaufman made up so he could make his super cool meta film instead of a story about an orchid thief, it's not actually part of his character.

this is literally one of the best films of all time

No.. I think he takes the advice of his writing teacher and adapts the story from its boring original "nothing happens" approach to a full twist. His brother never existed, it was the flawed aspects of his writing personal that he was trying to avoid. In the end he gives in.

Fucking BEST Kaufman movie. Pretty incredible Chris Cooper won an Oscar and not the Kaufman's for making a great script.

I see what you mean. I too felt the film was very strong, and while the crazy stuff was very meta and pretty cool, it ultimately took away from the emotion of the film. Meta, though Kaufman does it impeccably, always leaves me feeling slightly detached from the film.

Personally though I've always preferred Adaptation to BJM, it didn't do as much for me

>I forgot >just how good an actor Nicolas Cage was once upon a time.

cage is amazing in everything he does youre just a pleb

it's bizarre that it was made

it comes across as something a yuppie would write and it gets published because nobody knows any better

fucking hilarious movie

Reminder that Cage only made shitty movies to cover his enormous tax bill and the $150 million he spent on dinosaur bones

cnbc.com/2017/05/10/craziest-things-nicholas-cage-bought-with-150-million.html