Favorite Thor authors/comics

Favorite Thor Authors:
>Walter Simonson (this SHOULD be 90% of Sup Forumss choice, unless somehow they are being contrairian against one of the best runs in comics ever)
>Robert Rodi
>JMS
>Paul Jenkins (I know he only wrote one trade of short stories but they were pretty amazing)
>Kieron Gillen
>Jason Aaron
>shit
>Matt Fraction

I'm not so much knocking Jason Aaron's Thor books, but to me Godbomb and Godbutcher are good but only had a few highlights for me. I'm not mentioning a lot of other writers cause I haven't read enough of them or are too silver age for me (like Stan Lee's stuff. It's enjoyable to read small doses of but that's it).

Fav stories/runs:

>For Asgard
>Thor And Loki: Blood Brothers
Simsonson's run IS the best but if I'm looking at a specific story, Robert Rodi produced these two spectacular graphic novels that are among the top 5 graphic novels of Marvel.
>Simonson's Ragnarok and Executioners Last Stand (honorable mention to Throg cause huge heroism points there)
his best 3 stories imo
>Thor: Heaven and Earth
by Paul Jenkins, some of the stories are meh but the one of the dying priest asking Thor is there is a one true god is a fantastic story and really gets to the whole point of there being gods in Marvel and yet people still believe in God. Also, the suicide bomber story was great

What are Sup Forumss favorites? general asgardian stuff is also welcome because of all the journey into mystery stuff Or cosmic Beta Ray Bill cause he is too based to be left out (I still haven't found Godhunter)

Lmao at forgetting about Kirby
Thor: The Mighty Avenger is also consider one of the better stories

I liked Blood Oath

The God Butcher

How the fuck is Kirby not on that list? From 121-179 that run is pure gold and certainly the equal of Simonson's.
In b4 b-b-but silver age. Simonson is every bit as dated now (I am actually reading it right now. I love the BRB stuff, but it starts fo drag when the Ragnarock story winds up and Sal Buscema takes over on the art.)

Simonson's overhyped. It's cult of personality sets expectations too high.
I've got like 10 different Thor TPBs and no Simonson among them. That said he will be once they release a one-volume collection of the Surtur stuff; buildup was 10/10 and if he'd reshuffled things so that it ended on Ragnarok & Roll the whole run would've been 10/10. As is it peaks too early and meanders around for the sake of meandering around. I dunno there's just something very unsatisfying about how it's executed compared to the same thing in say Moore's Swamp Thing.

Don't start a thread by preemptively shouting down dissenting opinions that's Tumblr speak lad

Mat Fraction is GOAT.
Prove me wrong.

Sorry, haven't read the Kirby stuff. I definately have to though.

I don't think Simonson's Thor is dated though, it is in the style of an epic, not a superhero story and a good epic doesn't ever get dated

I've heard his annuals/special issues were good but not his main run.

The main book was garbage, only the one shots were good.

Still waiting to be proven wrong. :^)
Although yes I do appreciate that you gave credit where it's due to Ages of Thunder. That shit seriously is among the GOAT IMHO.
>tfw couldn't find a full comp online anywhere only to stumble across one at a local fucking con

>Aaron above Fraction

Not anymore.

>no Gruenwald
Read Eternals Saga OP

What is this shit? This reads like Bendis speak without another person, just the same person repeating the same fucking words.

Fraction's Thor is why I will never read any Fraction ever again, he's fucking terrible.

Pity that you're missing out of ODY-C then
Granted I'm in it for the art

Not saying you're enjoying comics wrong, but I've never known anybody to read Thor for the syntax.

what? What kind of other trash Thor have you read? The best Thor/Asgardian comics should sound almost poetic and in some cases very poetic.

Fuck it, I'm opening a random page of Blood Brothers, skimming to some decent stuff
>Behold the Odinson's CELL, my Lord. Do you wish ingress? I assure you there remains in him nothing which might IMPERIL you.
>Nor would I falter if there WERE! You forget, warden, I did Best my brother in battle, not him me.

the difference between that Fraction shit and this random page is huge. Comics aren't always a place for prose but in Thor they deserve a home.

Fair enough then. At least now I have some solid reasoning.
Suffice to say I've read literally all of Thor and didn't even notice a problem. Too caught up in the FUCKHUGE BLOOD GOLEMS YEAHHHHHHHH. Fraction had hype-as-fuck concepts which fit the artist splendidly.
Furthermore the dialogue in is as grandiose & flowery as any other Thor run. As were many other moments I remember fondly from his tenure. It's not like he was making Asgardians talk like New Yorkers or anything so jarring. Was this a problem you noticed throughout the whole run? Any specific examples you can remember (this is genuine curiosity talking, not goalpost shit or anything)?

I'd like to add that I'm curious specifically because I know exactly the kind of shit you're talking about: Aaron's Doctor Strange drives me up the fucking wall. I just genuinely can't remember any such problem with Fraction's prose. The World Eaters were less verbose sure, but they were wholly alien entities and not denizens of the World Tree.

Did you get theses from a Sup Forums rec or discover them yourself?

>No Jurgens/JrJr

I know I'm a sucker for his art but c'mon man

Thor the Mighty Avenger was really good.

yeah, I can see we read Thor for two very different things, but these things are inherent in the mythos of Thor. I love the epic part that comes from the old english prose, I don't necessarily want every line to be directed as a line of poetry but the dialog should be. For example, when Thor talks to a human, he should speak in his old english style, and the person may be weird about it or not, but they should talk normally. However, Asgardians are myth gods and so how they interact should be mythical. That means their dialog should be more like what you would hear in a myth about Odin and Thor, it should be like Homer's poetry and every line should be crafted so it leads to the next.

I get your point though, crazy monsters NEED to be a part of Thor as well, a huge part. But I want to read an epic, in the style of Beowulf and Gilgemesh, where they fight crazy monsters and all kinds of shit, but the prose are there too. And honestly, if the artist is good enough, it can get that across without the word wankery I'm talking about, pic related

for me is blood oath and vikings and of course, his mini on paradise X,

He has the same problem, but worse with his FF run, and to a lesser extent with Orion.
It's funny Kirby/Lee Thor srumbles out of the gate, but explodes into awesome in the 120's; Simonson explodes out of the gate, kicks all kinds of ass, and then just kind of fizzles for like 20 more issues.

>Sup Forums
>ever mention Robert Rodi or Paul Jenkins

kek.

I've recced both here multiple times. Was asking for self-gratification.That and I might have some other rec's OP would like.

I felt blue-balled by it for some reason.

..honesty on Sup Forums? sorry user, I am not used to that, though it was sarcasm and shitposting. The only stuff I found on Sup Forums was my first look at Robert Rodi and everyone called it shit. And first look at Aaron, which everyone seems to love and I have...ok.

and if you have other stuff like Jenkins and Rodi I am interested. I know I need to get into Journey into Mystery, the latest run, that's already on my list (read some kid loki)

I unconditionally love JRJR and really REALLY dug the latter half of Jurgens' run (would snap up an omni) but for some reason their collab didn't gel with me. Didn't much care for all of Dan's OCs and for some reason JRJR's art didn't feel as explosive or impactful as it by-all-rights should have.
Seemed fine when I gave it a second chance though so IDEFK. Maybe I just set my expectations impossibly high. I mean, it's JRJR on FUCKING Thor, that sounds GOAT.

>The only stuff I found on Sup Forums was my first look at Robert Rodi and everyone called it shit
That's sacrilege.
>And first look at Aaron, which everyone seems to love
Guilty.

>and if you have other stuff like Jenkins and Rodi I am interested.
I really liked Thor's 2-issue Chaos War mini and feel that it intersects with them tonally (albeit with a lot more Aaron-tier RARRRRR pomp & circumstance in between).
There's also a half-issue from some early 00s mini... Marvel Double Feature? Something like that. But it's told very unconventionally and is bitch to find (I only did so by accident). I mmmmight have it saved if you want me to dump. s'only ~10 pages.

>Chaos War
by Pak? I just picked it up. My LCS went out of business so I now have about 2 feet of comics to read and that is one of them

wait I didn't read that correctly. If it's a single issue, sure drop it. If it's the trade I won't have time today to read it so unless other anons want it, it would be a waste

But to the first point. People bashed on Rodi when I first read it here, I saved every page and loved it. It was about 2 years ago though.

It seemed a little lightweight. Jurgens' run improved when he started bringing in the darker themes about Thor getting corrupted by power. But for the first couple of years (the JRjr run) it was mostly just festive fun fights.

I like some of those fights, but it was similar to Tom DeFalco's nostalgia run in feeling fun but not essential.

Chaos War was the event by Pak yeah, it had a few tie-ins and minis and Thor: Chaos War was one of them, #1 & #2.
Hopefully you nabbed his Incredible Hercules run & Prince of Power mini as well because it's basically the final chapter of the story those were telling. There was an Ares mini that plays into it too (but Hercules brings you up to speed on how it ties in).

Nah nah m8, I totally get it. Verbiage is focal to Thor, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. By syntax I specifically meant word-order and the like, since that seemed to be the point on contention and I remember Fraction writing the Asgardian's as mythical as ever.

Ah cool, I didn't know this Thor tied into that. I read Incredible Herc from my sister and loved it, may have to borrow it again to remember the context.

I doubt it, Fraction may do well in some page layout ideas for artists to follow. But he has never written anything that can be called prose.

The Dark Gods just felt so... uninspired. Plus they weren't that memorable, since we never delved too far into what they were or where they went. But hey, it's Thlore, ambiguity's to be expected.

I 'member liking the page with the Dwarves' mass-suicide, but apparently not enough to have saved it.

What is this?! Thor is a woman not some asshole dudebro!

I don't know what reaction you expect so have a hilarious meme.

The interesting thing about Jurgens' run is because he wrote it for a long time (1998-2004) it's a great guide to how the style of Marvel comics changed in that period.

When he started the Marvel house style was still basically old school: lots of captions and thought balloons, short stories with lots of soap opera threads that may be teased for years, very compressed storytelling.

The new management at Marvel aggressively modernized the style around 2001 and you can see how Jurgens and his editor (Tom Brevoort) try to keep up with that. The storytelling becomes more decompressed, the coloring becomes more photorealistic, there are more mature themes and fewer crossovers. Thought balloons get dropped, there are more trade-friendly stories in 5 parts, etc.

So reading the run from beginning to end you get a sense of how much mainstream comics changed in that period.

>not mentioning Rick "THOR CARES NOT" Remender

You would love Alice Siegfried.

Well. I expected you people to rectify the mistake of dudebro Thor.

I kinda respect Brevoort as an editor cause he 'seems' to give a fuck. and end of 90s to that era of Marvel went though rapid change. May be worth looking at not necessarily as something good but something that was happening in comics at the time.

>Jurgens' run improved when he started bringing in the darker themes about Thor getting corrupted by power.

The Reigning doesn't get near enough love.
I agree that the first half was largely Jurgens Jurgensing and turning in fully acceptable comics, but once he went full "Well hey, Thor is a GOD, isn't he?" it really picked up out of the mediocre, even if the art consistency was nonexistent.

That said - I kinda miss Jake Olsen as Thor's civilian ID if only because an EMT going around unauthorizedly Doctoring people was fun.

Aight here ya go
Lemme preface. There were 4 issues, each with 2 stories, all featuring a different Marvel character. Each one had their own artist and writer and tone (Reed Richards teaching Franklin about the universe, Dr Doom suffering for his ideals in baroque gouache, Loki pranking the Avengers Bart Simpson-style). It was all kinda experimental.
I feel that this context needs addressed.