Alright Sup Forums, I mostly browse here for cartoons, so I got a question...

Alright Sup Forums, I mostly browse here for cartoons, so I got a question. Can someone explain the character of Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel/the former Ms. Marvel?

And what DC character she's basically ripping off?

Ms. Marvel got a promotion and does stuff with the Nova Core. She now has a flashy new costume, a haircut, and a sportsbra.

The current Ms. Marvel is a paki kid who's powers are a mix between Monkey D. Luffy and Antman.

Also I don't know which DC character she's ripping off.

She's Hal Jordan but with alcohol and manic-depressive rage instead of hamburgers and stupidity.

And instead of getting it on with a magically-aged alien teenager she got it on with her magical alien son.

Hot-blooded headstrong magnet for suffering.
She's a walking sack of character flaws and tragic events that by all accounts should have died or turned evil decades ago but kept getting up and flying straight. Now she's Top Bitch and is getting a movie. It's weirdly inspiring.

>Spoiler

Hal Jordan. it used to be a meme and i really miss it.

Dumb cunt who Marvel DESPERATELY wants to be popular, but really isn't.

really strong super person who has a secret penis

Well yeah the movie needs to come out first.

Basically, in the 1950s an alien ship crash landed in the UK. A secret team of scientists working for the RAF learned a great deal from the wreckage and used this knowledge to create a new superweapon to surpass nuclear bombs. Avril "Carol Danvers" Lear is one of these superweapons

Wait by "character" did you mean her origin & history?

Literally nothing character and the best thing she ever did was give a much better girl new powers

Pretty much.

Also an explanation of her powers.

her origin story will probably get retconned after the movie so you probably wont care

Alright...

Could you add anymore to what her personality is beyond what was already said here?

She used to be at least a somewhat interesting character until they stripped her of everything that made her unique and then turned her into a dull man.

Okay from the top:
Captain Mar-Vell was an alien soldier tasked with infiltrating an Earth military base. He ended up switching sides and defending Earth from his own people. Carol Danvers was a security chief at said base who ended up getting kidnapped by Marv's superior officer and rescued. Personally, I get the impression the writer just wanted a feminist strawman the writer to cut down to size.

But the movie is going to be nothing like her comics right now, is difficult to like the new Caril because she's a turbo bitch that no one likes, so in the best scenario movie Carol success so Marvel make her more like the old Carol to pander to normies any Carol is better than the one we have right now

About 10 years later Marvel decided they wanted the girl audience after all and thus needed a solo superheroine comic. Ms Marvel #1 happens. The specifics of her damsel-in-distress situation gave Carol powers similar to Mar-Vell's. Super strength, flight, energy absorption & projection, etc.. Also precognition and split-personality disorder but those didn't last. She goes through a bit of an identity crisis (am I human or alien, woman or warrior, publicist or pugilist etc) but it largely gets resolved.

Eventually the decidedly un-feminist Editor-In-Chief at the time got sick of the sight of her and personally wrote an Avengers story where she gets kidnapped, brainwashed, impregnated, and summarily shipped off to Happily Ever After whilst the Avengers just sort of wave goodbye. Shortly thereafter her old comic's writer brought her back and basically lampshades how extraordinarily fucked up the whole predicament was. He also stripped her of her powers & happy memories in the same story to add to the trauma (probably a compromise for being allowed to bring her back IDK).

Under said writer she tells the Avengers to go fuck themselves and starts hanging with the X-Men. She ends up getting kidnapped, tortured and experimented on by Geiger-y alien bugmonsters, but the process ends up kickstarting her powers again. Since she no longer has any positive attachment to Earth she go space hero-ing. During which, Mar-Vell dies of cancer. She's the one superhero who not at his deathbed or funeral. And doesn't even know until she drops by months later and sees some new chick using the Captain Marvel name.

Quick and dirty? She's kind of an idiot, but a soldier first and formost. She also wants to do the right thing, so she pushes on and gets things done even if people hate her for it.

Then they decided they wanted a Wonderwoman for the cinematic audience, so they stripped most of her chracter development to make her sort of a mary sue, and subsequent writers have been trying to fix it.

She's got a lot of character that they just dumped basically, they wanted her to be the paragon without giving her the journey to get there even though they had the material for it.

She disappears into deep space for about 15 years until the Avengers get rebooted ~2000, and she gets picked for the team. Fresh start. Except she still has all of the psychological baggage weighing on her and deals with it through alcohol. Basically has to rebuild herself from the ground up, with the team's help. Tries distancing herself from Mar-Vell's name too, which leads to another new superhero taking it instead.

>She's Hal Jordan but with alcohol and manic-depressive rage instead of hamburgers and stupidity.

so she's Hal Jordan

To be exact she's ripping off "Linda Danvers" the original superwoman/girl

Gets back on her feet. Saves the world. Decides to give this hero thing her all. Gets another solo comic, that lasts through Civil War and Secret Invasion and Siege and all that late 00s event extravaganza. Becomes a leader. Separates a family. MASSACRES an alien army. Blows up, gets better, dates Spider-Man for an issue. Lotsa stuff.

And then we're about caught up. Mar-Vell rose from the dead for a hot second and it inspired her to keep his legacy alive. She changed up her look, finally accepted the title, and did a lot of introspecting. A few years ago she saved New York from an alien invasion but got mind-wiped in the process, which is either a blessing or a curse depending on who you ask. Between dropping her emotional baggage and dressing more professionally she's being given more responsibilities in-universe (SWORD, Ultimates, this whole Civil War II thing), but the anxiety & arrogance at her core still tends to peek through.

>Quick and dirty? She's kind of an idiot, but a soldier first and formost. She also wants to do the right thing, so she pushes on and gets things done even if people hate her for it.
>She's got a lot of character that they just dumped basically,
IDK user you just described Civil War II pretty accurately there.

As far as I can see they're the same character.
One's just a little more detached at times.

Bullshit, Ms. Marvel was touted as Marvel's dullest character years before the big changes happened.

movie won't help

Keep telling yourself that Ororo.

Literally just finished watching this episode of the cartoon.

Saving this so I don't have to explain it to people each and every time.

Thanks, immensely. Carry on.

What a coincidence isn't it? Every detail prepared with panels!
This shilling is SO fucking obvious.

those are her good attributes, she's an alchoholic because of her deciscions and doesn't like that she can't get it perfect. Now she gives no shits about that. Thing is there was no transition between the two states, the chracter development. Expect them to cut it out completely during the new movie and just make her a mary sue like that new chick lead in star wars.

Female character with relatively few glaring flaws =/= mary sue

She was no more a sue than Luke was. For fuck's sake, he literally started as a disenfranchised teenager who wasn't allowed to go hang out in town.

She's a mary sue, when her role didn't need to be specifically filled by her. She had no real shining traits other than being a woman and the force. You could've cut her from the movie and replaced her with Poe the whole way through and the movie wouldn't have changed much.

She also had no character flaws.

Being unnecessary and without major flaws means someone is a Mary Sue?

Fucking Chewbecca and R2-D2. I knew I hated them for a reason

I think the issue is that Luke went through training montages and got his shit slapped repeatedly while Rey seems to be self-taught and improvs abilities such as mind trick.

Can we not have the Rey argument in the Captain Marvel thread? We get it enough in every Star Wars thread on every site on the internet.

As for Carol Danvers, she's cool when she has a competent writer (read: Ewing). Problem is, she's in Bendis land now, and Bendis is crazy. He probably thinks he's helping with his characterization of Carol in CWII.

Still excited for the movie though, because it's been confirmed that Best Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau, will be in it. Pic Related

Wait, they confirmed Monica?

You have no idea how happy this makes me.

No, and she probably won't be in it.

god they better not make her carols girlfriend or something. lets hope they dont think of the genius idea of making a strong woman a lesbian

Hey now I'll have you know I had to look for an appropriate image each time I posted (hence why each one took 5 bloody minutes).
Also three of those aren't me. Specifically the one asking about Carol, the one shitting on Carol, and the one that's not even Carol. You absolute mong.

>Still excited for the movie though, because it's been confirmed that Monica Rambeau will be in it
SOURCESOURCESOURCESOURCESOURCESOURCESOURCE

>

>she's an alchoholic because
She's not been an alcoholic in over a decade.
>Thing is there was no transition between the two states, the chracter development
IT WAS IN THAT INTERVENING DECADE

they really should just buiold her up
she checks the PC boxes really well

womyn
black
minority

then they won't have too add more minorities in the future

Happy to help. I skipped over a few details, like Mystique.
Also worth mentioning is that the Captain Marvel franchise ran parallel to all of this, and is fair game for her to dip into now that she's inherited it. Mar-vell, Monica, Genis & Phylla, Noh-Varr, that's a bigass toybox.
But nah they'd TOTALLY have gone with Storm given the chance. :^)

PC is for comic books. Movies are about entertaining people.

If Murika wasn't entertained by a live action Nextwave movie, then it's obvious something went wrong.

Has Phyla-Vell shown up since she got blasted by Thanos?

I thought her Quasar costume there was one of the best in comics at the time

Part of Nextwave's nature was to build around being irrelevant.

I think you meant irreverent

Nah, there's a new Quasar now. I have no idea why.

Has Ellis ever explained Netwave in depth?
All I've seen is the something to the effect of "comics are stupid, here's a stupid comic".

Nope. Still (presumasbly) in Oblivion's realm.
SAVEUS.AL

Both. It blows shit up while characters put off dealing with their problems from the world and self

>while characters put off dealing with their problems from the world and self
See this is the kind of subtext I'm asking about.

Ellis: "I took The Authority and I stripped out all the plots, logic, character and sanity. It's an absolute distillation of the superhero genre. No plot lines, characters, emotions, nothing whatsoever. It's people posing in the street for no good reason. It is people getting kicked, and then exploding. It is a pure comic book, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. And afterwards, they will explode."

As far as I'm aware, he just faxed them the pitch one day, then the script after they told him he couldn't use Nick Fury or Dormammu.

>they told him he couldn't use Nick Fury or Dormammu.
kek

YAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSS

quen

It's not secret after Jess's baby.

Jossed

Neat, a Carol thread.

Just so some moron somewhere is confronted by a fact for once:
Carol Danvers existed before Linda Danvers.
That Supergirl was a rip-off of Ms.Marvel, who was recognized for being a better character than anything female that DC had up until then.

She fucks her own interdimensional rapist son.

You're not 100% clear on the concept of "rapist", are you?

He mindcontrolled her to fuck her against her will.

You seem to have completely glossed over the part where she was comatose for several years because Rogue stole all of Carol Danvers' powers and personality, just before Rogue became a member of the X-Men.

Discovering this fact changed a lot about what used to make Rogue one of my favorite characters.

That's because she was comatose for about two pages, not several years.

Recommended runs? I have the entire day to lie in bed and do sweet fuck all, minus buying some Christmas presents.

FYI: the term "fuck" has a historical origin involving nonconsensual sex, and in proper grammar is generally used to denote active participation.

she look so young here I like it

21 yr old carol should be the default carol

There's literally hundreds, if not thousands of better comics you could read instead of Carol trash.

Busiek Avengers is the start of modern Carol.

>Fucking Chewbecca and R2-D2.
No one jerked off about how amazing Chewie was for two hours. R2 got jumped by Jawas and is a dick

Avengers 200

I mean, they tried to push Storm and her comic ended up selling less than half of what Carol's did.

She had a cameo in Hell in Deadpool vs. Thanos.

>got mind-wiped in the process,

Is that how she isn't a drunk anymore?

This

>has a competent writer (read: Ewing)

No, she went to AA.

DAMN YOU DOCTOR STRANGE!

What did she mean by this?

>do you always refer to her by her full name?
>who, Jean Grey? Yeah. Why, is that wierd?

user Linda Danvers was the alias of the original Supergirl, Kara, from 1959.

With Tony "Demon in a Bottle" Stark as a sponsor, no less.

He came to bargain

What's the point of her anyway other than the token woman

We don't need another flying brick in the mcu

What said. You're thinking of the cartoon. The issue with Rogue STARTS with Carol getting thrown off the bridge post-fight and ends with her roasting the Avengers, awake & recovered.
Besides I glossed over a lot of names to keep it simple. Throwing in "Mystqiue" or "Yon-Rogg" or "Skrull" seemed like pointless info, what matters is the effect on Carol's story.

She's the connection between the cosmic side and the earth side. That's why she has a space station.

tbf she was essentially brainwashed by indoctrination.
Lots of heroes are reformed villains. Hawkeye, Widow, Wanda & Pietro, Banshee, Wolverine technically etc..

>You're thinking of the cartoon.

Oh yeahhh... silly me. That's what I get for skipping the fact-checking.

Captain Marvel v1 (60s) #18 (#11-17 are great too, but not relevant)
Ms Marvel v1 (70s) #17-19
Marvel Super-Heroes v2 (90s) #10-11 (aka Ms Marvel v1 #24-25)
Avengers Annual #10
Uncanny X-Men #162-166
Marvel Fanfare #24
Quasar #34
Avengers v3 (90s) #1-54 (although #4-7, #16, #26-30 & #41-54 are especial)
Ms Marvel v2 (00s) #1-3, #21-30, #47-50
Secret Avengers #26-28
Captain Marvel v4 (2012) #1, #6 & #14 (ideally, The Enemy Witihin TPB)
Captain Marvel v6 (2015) #1-10

It's almost like DCfags make this thread every day so people who like the character have become experts at combating shitposters with examples and explanations.