Was this movie good?

Personally, I thought it was kinda mediocre outside of the pretty art.

It was poorly plotted, mang.

La Muerte was quite fuckable and Cheech as one of the mariachis was a pleasant surprise.

Personally, I'm a bit biased in the matter, but I liked the movie. Art is fantastic, no doubt about it. It's the stand-out element of the movie.

Plot does have some cliches involved in regards to how it goes about its' plot, but the execution of most of its' beats more than makes up for it.

The only kinda massive flaws in the film that I can willingly call out are the bookends in the "real" world and some of the choices in regards to its' musical numbers. However, knowing why Jorge did the things he did was as a result of him trying to cram as much of himself and his family (to an extent) in the piece does explain to great lengths some of the artistic choices in the movie.

It's a movie that's fine if you're going in without any prior experience with Guiterez's work (or knowledge about the movie), but coming from a big fan of his art and animations growing up, it was pretty fucking awesome.

But yeah. Wasn't a fan of the Mumford and Sons cover. Tons of better songs out there to use if needed at all.

The art's good, but story's a bit muddled.

Also, the girl's kind of a cunt because farmers and butchers need to make a living too.

The first act in this movie was so good. But it fell apart pretty quickly IMO. They tried to make every scene funny, every single one. By the end of it I just wanted characters to disappear and let the story finish.

Like it's probably a 5/10. Middling.

That's the general consensus, OP.

I thought it was decent.

Very pretty style, with some funny moments and a so-so story. The love triangle and "strong female lead" were kind of by the numbers, but I liked how Joaquin wasn't a standard antagonist.

The soundtrack was maximum cringe, for me at least. But then again I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo.

I liked the final Bullfight song. I even kind of liked I Will Wait.

But yeah, the sudden Radiohead cover was pretty damn noticeable.

Best design. Two lines.

Made me want to see an animated Grim Fandango.

Ain't it always the way?

I think I'm biased because I'm a taco and the art design is fantastic but it was a good movie.

I do agree that some of the songs were cringe, though. I remember the Spanish dubs weren't as bad as the English ones but then again I only saw the movie in Spanish once when it came out.

Sometimes Maria's "I'M A STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMAN WHO NEEDS NO MAN" deal also got a bit cringey at times.

>Joaquuuuuuiiiinnn

I thought the two lead Gods were fun. Interestingly detailed designs, and a kind of love-hate relationship that stopped either from being completely good or evil.

Art was good, story was mediocre, songs were just lazy.

i wanna slide my dick in between those twin skellington grills

It looked great, at the very least.

It should not have been a jukebox musical. It always seems fun in theory, but it can never be executed well. I can't think of a non-biopic jukebox musical that I didn't cringe at.

The story was formulaic. Not uncommon for animated movies, I was disappointed when I realized they how safe they were playing the story.
The characters were on the blander side of things. This wouldn't be as noticeable if they had funnier scenes to distract from it, but alas- comedy is hard. Maybe it would've been better to drop the comedy and go full whimsy like Miyasaki or Cartoon Saloon?

My biggest problem was fucking Maria. She seemed like a lazy mishmash informed traits borrowed from other animated heroines (Belle, Fiona) without the development to justify them.
> other girls bitch about how she likes to read
> inexplicably knows martial arts and fencing
> "strong" yet barely fights and is kidnapped so she can be rescued by protagonist
> independent don't need no man yet surprise! marries protagonist
She was supposed to be a subversion, but in effort to make her a good role model, they forgot to give her a personality. I wouldn't be so bitter about this if the movie's advertising didn't ride on her being a "strong female character". That, and if you criticize her character or the movie itself people jump on you.

It's all depressing because I love El Tigre and can see how much heart was behind this movie, but it ended up feeling like a run-of-the-mill DreamWorks knock off.

A movie about La Muerte and Xibalba would've been better.

Personally I thought it was a lot better then a lot of recent Disney movies.

skeletiddies