Since waterbenders can control the temperature of the water they're bending...

Since waterbenders can control the temperature of the water they're bending, why don't the just constantly attack with boiling hot water and win every fight?

you can alter the density of a substance (and thus its state) without changing its thermal energy, presumably this is the case with waterbending, so no matter what state they change the water to it stays the same temperature

Never really thought of that until mentioned. Waterbenders from both shows only freeze, thaw water, or somehow create vapor without heat. Maybe a firebender could boil it for them?

You can't have ice above freezing user. That's not how science works.

Luckily this is magic

I'm sure there's some science fuckery that allows it

You also can't control water with Tai Chi but here we are.

clearer graph

Why not just : Fuck muh morals n use enemy bodily fluids?

Reminder that feces are very high in water so you could technically force people to shit themselves before the fight even starts.

unholy ammounts of pressure

Or freeze the contents of someone's bladder for immense pain

Water is still water under high amounts of pressure.

yes but what was said was that at low pressure it becomes steam without needing more heat, which was what OP was talking about

not that user, but the freezing point itself changes based on factors such as pressure.

I'm sure you know the common example of boiling a pot of water at sea level vs on top of a mountain? Same for freezing. You'd need to put a LOT of pressure to make water freeze at room temperature though. Given that most of the moments in the show where waterbending freezing is taking place it's already -10 to -15, I wouldn't say waterbenders are more OP than other benders.

you know, apart from the fact of: fucking bloodbending and keeping somebody in a floating bubble of water until they drown.

I mean to be fair, air benders can also do that bullshit but with suffocation. They can just drag the air out of your lungs and just air bend the air so there is no air around the person.

But you know being genocide(ed)? and being a bunch of peace loving hippies don't allow you to seek ways to brutally kill your opponents.

>They can just drag the air out of your lungs and just air bend the air so there is no air around the person
actually the orb of air in those scenes doesn't seem to be a vacuum, it seems to be spinning air, so it's more like there's moving the air so quickly that the person's lungs can't exert enough pressure to inhale

> alter the density of a substance (and thus its state) without changing its thermal energy
>density
You mean pressure.

Pressure!

removing air is for pacifist detainment.
Overfilling with air to explode the lungs is fast homocide

this

Morals or not, it's made abundantly clear that all forms of element-bending have the potential for abuse, and their fair share of 'dark arts'.

To give an example of my own, the show would be slapped with a M rating the moment Earth-benders started trying to manipulate minerals within the human body...

did made me laugh a lot, have a fresh Bob Ross

steel benders could just hover some boiling cauldron above enemies during sieges.

theres real potential for an evil earthbender "necromancer" simular to bloodbenders. A "bonebender" could animate skeletons tho and spook the fuck out of people.

bloodbenders can move people around because once they start moving your blood, its essentilly fucking up the regular flow of your blood so your body instantly starts losing oxygen and nutrients. probably why it "feels weird" and difficult to muscle through.

A "bonebender" howerver, wouldnt be able to move living people as easily because the muscles can resist the bending somewhat.

But that's the horror of it; if bone-bending on a living person works similarly to FOP (the disease decribed in my previous image), the muscles themselves would undergo ossification, eventually turning the victim into a twisted bone-puppet.

And if we were to take the concept of mineral-bending to the absolute extreme, recall that mineral ions are critical in controlling processes such as muscle contraction. Guess which muscle might kill you if it doesn't...

?

If they didn't do it in the show, it's because they can't.

Anyway, wasn't there something similar to "war crimes" in ATLA? perhaps that's one of them.

at the right levels of heat a pressure you can have water ice and steam at the same time in the same place

Flinging a shard of ice would probably be more effective than an equivalent amount of boiling water.

Drowning would also be very effective though require more finesse and focus and once water is inside their nose/mouth/throat you could possibly freeze it.

Water vapor would probably be more effective for cover.

That's actually addressed in the show and is probably the most effective however it's generally limited to powerful benders and with like one exception can only be done effectively on a full moon.

They mention an air sword at some point too.

Well what's in the show and official works is definitely the only true canon but there are all sorts of implications of potential unknown uses for things.
Just in the first series, we have metal bending and blood bending discovered which were the subject of this sort of fan speculation and theorizing before they were confirmed. In the second series, metal bending is expanded to build giant cities and robots and blood bending is used to cut off other's bending powers.