What does manga do better than comics in general. What do comics do better than manga in general...

What does manga do better than comics in general. What do comics do better than manga in general? What could one side learn from the other to improve?

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-11-29/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series-2015/.95913
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2015.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The biggest advantage is the breadth of genre diversity.
There's a manga for nearly every situation you can think of.

this x10000
there's a manga of wine pourers
>decanting from such a height?!

Yep.
Daily life of an ordinary preschooler?
Sure, and it's awesome.
Turkmeni weddings in the 19th century? You bet. Have Persian bathing culture with that.
Walking through a largely empty structure enveloping earth to rekindle humanity? Aye, and don't forget your talking bears.
Mountain climbing?
Absolutely.
Fictionalisations of historical characters?
A lot.
Cute bondage feels?
Very much so.
Baking-themed athlete dramedy?
Ayep.
Gang violence in the Five Points?
How would we live without it?!

I'm going to need some sauces if you're going to post that many stories.

>What does manga do better than comics in general
Having a healthy industry. Lot's of diverse genres.

>What do comics do better than manga in general?
I enjoy western comics more on nearly every level that hasn't got to do with the shear weight of numbers on their side. I was a huge manga fag for years and rarely got the amount of satisfaction with reading western shit. Of course some of the best comics ever made are manga but IN GENERAL I never really got what I wanted out of manga. I still read it but not as much.

>What could one side learn from the other to improve?
Manga needs to learn the art of the 6 issue art. The ridiculous amount of decompression isn't just in jump, its fucking everywhere.
Western comics need to learn how to not be slaves to the Big 2.

I'm actually rather surprised how limited Western comics are as far as subject matter goes. 75% capeshit, 15% "This is my life and why it sucks" comics, 10% licensed comics based on existing cartoons and 5% anything actually imaginative.

This, but to an extent
Just like capeshit is the most popular form of comic book and makes up like 90% of the industry, manga also suffers from the issue of having a huge chunk of it's shit dedicated to shonan and harem shit. The more you get away from the big time comic and manga producers the more variety you begin to see, where Japan works out is that it is very, very friendly towards small time writers, things that would only survive as a webcomic in the west become store sold series in Japan.

>stealth Sup Forums thread
Manga focuses on "artistic" camera shots way too often which is personally a little distracting to me

Comics rely on different writers too much causing too much shit to be packed in with lore and causing massive butthurt discussions about power levels due to said writers

This could be a personal thing but honestly all manga and anime girls seem to be drawn with the same face and hair every time

>Comics rely on different writers too much causing too much shit to be packed in with lore and causing massive butthurt discussions about power levels due to said writers
That has nothing much to do with the writers. That's just capeshit shared universe cancer crashing down on int and autistic continuity fags endless bitching.

>Manga focuses on "artistic" camera shots way too often which is personally a little distracting to me

if you use bleach as an example that's your issue

I'm going to need an id if you're going to brag that you don't recognize any of those summaries.

Manga art looks more crisp but that's mostly (usually) due to the black and white

Action.

Action.

Action.

Coreography in both mediums are in such different levels it's unbelievable

I recognize a few.
Yotsuba
Climb
The Turkmeni wedding thing sounds familiar.
There's so many fictionalized historical figure anime. Just don't know all their names.

Manga has the benefit of a single series being made by a single creator. That way you get a unified vision for how the characters should behave, how the world should behave, and where the story should go.

Both are generally shit at action and choreography 2bh. Shonenshit fights are usually nearly incomprehensible and full of talky explanations. Capeshit is really just costumed dramas and fight scenes are just glossed over in a page or so. Decent action scenes are just rare in general.

I thin the Turkmeni wedding might be Otoyomonogatari (or something like that)

>Cut bondage feels
Might be the one about a frog faced kid getting his friend/crush into S&M, can't remember the name.

>Otoyomonogatari
Yup, that's what I was thinking of, couldn't remember the name. Been on my backlog for ages.

>and harem shit.

That's anime not manga.

>That's anime not manga.
Don't forget the LNs.

how is manga published in japan? Does everything come out first in magazines like shonen jump or do you just have to wait till the first volume is published?

you go to magazines. Then it sells by volume. There are some cases where manga is volume only.

this. The extended universes cape comics do is neat, but I don't think it's really worth the loss of creator control.

Adding to this:

Cooking lessons inside a D&D dungeon.

My classmate can literally build a nuclear reactor in the middle of class and nobody but notices it

The daily life of an autistic exterminator who gets hard doing pest control

When a character or the dire need of minority characters are done right you have writers that just fuck that shit up and retcon it while in manga a female character stays how they are. There are cases where side stories change them a bit but it's a one time thing like A certain scientific railgun but it was for the better.

>That's anime not manga.
But most of those start as manga

It helps that, for the most part, there is one writer and/or one artist. So you get consistency.

You really don't end up finishing an arc liking all the characters and where they are at only for a new writer to come in and destroy everything. I have a really hard time getting into at least the cape shit because of this. I have a hard enough time just reading about some characters in threads here because of how much they have changed.

At least most of the stuff outside cape shit usually has consistent writers.

Imagine a world where Quesada and Slott never took hold of Spider-Man

Is english your second language or are you just from the south or something?

Is English not your first language?

>>Manga
Diversity. Action scenes. Continuity. Less ret-conning. Characters more likely to stay dead. More show, less tell.

>>Comics
Cross-over events. More tell, less show. Actually has black people in the background.

As a side note, comics in general seems particularly geared towards telling a film-noire story. I can't pin-point a single quality about comic that makes it so, comics seems to ooze that vibe in general.

I presume by your OP you refer to manga having a greater number of frog girls.

The one the user couldnt remember the name of is nana to kaoru.

>Cross-over events. More tell, less show. Actually has black people in the background.
None of those are good things.

>Actually has black people in the background.

This is a petty argument.

>black people
>japan

>I can't pin-point a single quality about comic that makes it so, comics seems to ooze that vibe in general.

Maybe the universally present narration?

>>decent action scenes
>>rare in manga

You must be extremely unlucky. Pick up an english translated manga randomly and 6 out of 10 times you're going to get good action.

Ironically, you'll probably get a lower hit rate had you were actually in a manga store in Japan. Because of the sheer genre diversity, action manga proportionally is comparably lower at the source.

user, cross-over events CAN be good, it's just hard.
Just imagine the manga version of Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Too many comics have absolute shit tier coloring that ruins everything. Like seriously it looks like most comics are filled in with the gradient tool.

Manga either has fantastic lineart and shading or watercolored looking shots that also look awesome.

First two are Delicious in Dungeon and Tonari no Seki-kun, don't know what the last one is...

Goblin Slayer?

good observation, when comics adapt to cartoons, even cape shit, there is more variety given the small output. Anime may have a larger output but a lot of it feels the same in style or appeals to a very large niche audience.

That's some pretty tight shit. The generic anime face on the giant golem body looks hilarious though.
But still if we're making generalizations then a ton of action and shonen manga are shit at fight scenes. I could sit here all day and cherry pick some Daredevil, Iron Fist, Moon Knight, or Karnak panels. I might even enjoy that. But it still doesn't change how garbage most of the action in capes is either.

GOBLINS!?!?1?

Fictionalisations of historical characters?
Vinland Saga

Alternatively

Depends on the genre and artist.

Well, duh.

I'll raise you:
>>Ball room dancing and boner-inducing legs
>>Firefighting featuring a young man who sort of has a firefighting asperger's syndrome
>>A black blues musician and his deal with the devil to become the legendary guitarist in 1930's American deep south.
>>A semi-biographical, semi-promotional, semi-confessional, and all comical account of life as a farmer in Hokkaido Japan.
>>A Japanese nuclear submarine goes rogue and declares itself a nuclear power and a sovereign state, geopoliticalsocial drama ensues
>>A story about three guys who likes basketball. It's unique for having the most brutal but endearing portrayal of paraplegics in the history of graphic medium

>My classmate can literally build a nuclear reactor in the middle of class and nobody but notices it
Fucking Tonari no Seki-kun,can't find any newer translated chapters,i need my fix!

>>Ball room dancing and boner-inducing legs
That's the one with the girl who plays basketball right? And something about shoes too.

>>A black blues musician and his deal with the devil to become the legendary guitarist in 1930's American deep south.
Same artist who did Prison School. Shame that got canceled. And Prison School has turned to shit.

Bleach's problem wasn't so much that, though.

diversity is manga's biggest strength and weakness

too many instances of authors taking creative concepts just for the sake of it. Very few really master their "new, wild, crazy" ideas

Yeah western comic are like, almost 100% superhero to some degree. Honestly can't think of a single professionally published western comic I've read outside The Walking Dead. And even that was just because I watched the show first and wanted to see how different the comics are.

Though, on that note I'd like to ask, which country has a larger comic market, Japan or the US? Comic book nerds seem like a smaller niche here, I have no idea what the actual consumption is like in Japan though, however I'd assume it to be larger. Sounds like at the very least Japanese kids read a lot of manga, but American kids don't really read a lot of comics. We just kinda fall upon tv and vidya for entertainment of the "geeky" variety. Obviously with a wider audience means more selection.

>A story about three guys who likes basketball. It's unique for having the most brutal but endearing portrayal of paraplegics in the history of graphic medium

It can only be this

>German Surgeon fights a psychopath being propped up as the next Adolf Hitler
>The longest match of Mahjong in the world.

>I don't read non-capes
>I don't know what the markets are like
Lurk and read more.

I'd say manga so overall art composition and paneling better. Plus waifus

Manga definitely sells way more:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-11-29/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series-2015/.95913
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2015.html

part of it's because, like you said, manga never stopped being mainstream in Japan, while comics became a niche product.

this. Fucking kills me when the sjws go screaming about the lack of diversity in anime/manga.
Have you ever even bothered to look up the population statistics of Japan? they're 99% Japanese. It ain't America. Some Japanese people in the more rural areas have seen a foreigner like 5 times in their whole lives. Thats why if you ever visit, people will sometimes take pictures of you just because "Holy shit it's a non Japanese person that's cool/rare" Especially more so if you're not white. Black people like fucking unicorns in Japan.

Ballroom e Youkoso. And yeah, I don't know what happened with Hiramoto, the calvary battle have long overstayed its welcome. It needs to end.

First one is Monster. Second one could be one of two - are world leaders and the pope involved?

Comics sell like at most 4K for 2.99a month. Manga sells like at most 1million for a month for 12 $. Not counting anime and merchandise

Got licensed, user. Pay up!

Exactly. And even with all that, there's still plenty of black people in anime if you actually bother to look.
Not to mention the whole gays issue, which japan is doing way better and way more naturally than the west. Turns out you can fetishize them, and make them great characters at the same time, and people will enjoy it. Who knew?

>Comics sell like at most 4K
Top shit from the Big 2 sell 50k+

>great characters
>manga
pffft. God one.

>Daily life of an ordinary preschooler?
Crayon Shin-chan?

>Turkmeni weddings in the 19th century?
Bride's Story

>Walking through a largely empty structure enveloping earth to rekindle humanity? Aye, and don't forget your talking bears.
Biomega

>Mountain climbing?
Too vague!

>Fictionalisations of historical characters?
Also too vague but maybe Vinland Saga

>Cute bondage feels?
i dunno lol

>Baking-themed athlete dramedy?
Yakitate!! Japan

>Gang violence in the Five Points?
Haven't heard of this one.

Yeah, manga can have great characters, and so do comics. So how about you loosen the upper lip of yours

2nd is probably Akagi

>implying

>>Firefighting featuring a young man who sort of has a firefighting asperger's syndrome
Firefighter! Daigo of Fire Company M

>>A Japanese nuclear submarine goes rogue and declares itself a nuclear power and a sovereign state, geopoliticalsocial drama ensues
Silent Service

>German Surgeon fights a psychopath being propped up as the next Adolf Hitler
Monster

>there's still plenty of black people in anime if you actually bother to look.

let's not get crazy

I honestly don't know what you're so upset about there friend.
Yeah that's what I thought. Makes you wonder if it's even something that can be built upon. Markets the way it is here for a reason, must just not be enough demand for comics outside superhero comics. Japans just got more demand for their comics, and therefore mangaka can feel more safe branching out into varying topics. Think US comic writers would rather play it safe, or just make a webcomic for fun rather than profit. Webcomics are honestly the majority of what I read.

>not reading the superior franco-belgian comics

Could also be Legend of Koizumi, or Kaiji Part III

>paneling

I don't know, I rarely see experimentation with panel composition in manga like you do in western comics. Think JH Williams or Jim Steranko.

You're right, manga can have some pretty godly characters.

>americans don't have a series about D&D cooking.

What is that?

still small. Top 10 stuff from japan sells between 200-2 million.

>Medoka Box
Wew lawd what a piece of shit.

200k*

Manga sells well because Japan is extremely urban, and manga itself is printed on very cheap paper.

That cheapness is key. It lets artists and consumers experiment more, and drives up overall sales.

i kno rite

That's because you haven't been looking hard enough. Some people can get very creative

>
>>Medoka Box
>Wew lawd what a piece of shit.
Agreed but man that fucking guy. Every page of him is a gift

The hilarious part is that Ryuuma predates John Stewart by a about 10 years.

That setting explicitly has a varied mix of ethnicites. The guy in the chair is Chinese, the woman he's talking to is Anglo-Saxon and the other person there is German I guess.

Most manga/anime aren't like that.

Do you only have Murata to post? And I would argue that that particular example doesn't read very well.

Yeah, idk how to think of the whole gay shit on either end. Like the US just shoves them down our throats to scream "LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE WE ARE" and they're the most stereotypical boring shits alive, because their entire character revolves around "Look how gay I am". Japan though, like they aren't even on the same social acceptance as the US, they push these gay characters more as subtext than anything. Like look at the major "gay" anime out right now, the various sportshomos anime. Yeah, we all know they're gay as fuck but they'll never actually put anything concrete gay in. Japan's still in the "in the closet" phase with it all. They'll show it, but only so long as there's still just enough doubt to say they're not gay.
Or the alternative, gay shit is still heavily played for comedy. Mainstream animu won't have any serious gay characters, just comedic ones to play for laughs. Or, if they're lesbians, of course that's all just 100% fanservice, but you already went into the fetishizing category.
So idk, I wouldn't say Japan is inserting gay characters into the media any better or worse than the US, they're both just going about it at different ends of the extremes.

This paneling isn't particularly creative at all though. Certainly nothing that western comics haven't done. So how is it better?

"genre diversity" =/= good.

Anyway, i think the art is too inbred; every manga looks the same. There is nothing manga really does better.

LOL slow poster

It's not like America isn't also extremely urban. The price points are probably a huge factor though, as well as having a greater selection of topics.
What kind of experimentation did you have in mind?

But that's wrong

You rarely see it because that experiment's been done and moved on after Tezuka