Kubo

>those reveals

Oh, thank God.

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/34080897
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Excellent film.

Suddenly I have a new found respect for those that work in stop motion

If it's so good, why didn't anyone see it?

I can't even begin to imagine how they coordinate that shit.

>individual shots take so long to animate you can see the animators coming back on different days wearing different clothes mid-shot
Jesus

That's not how that works.

>saying this when Ice Age Collision Course earned 408 million in the box office

Since the thread is slow as fuck and has no real clear discussion point I'm just gonna say something that's been in my mind since I saw the movie.

Does Kubo remind anyone else of Buddy from the LISA games?

>408 million
it's never gonna end, is it
>tfw the only movies taking place in the Cenozoic Era are Ice Age
end me

I will buy a physical copy when price drops. Sorry kubo I already spent money on your merch and 3d

>averaging a post a minute

You have a strange definition of slow.

I get really pissed off when people hate the Kubo script. What the fuck did you want from a beautiful adventure film that focuses on the effectivity of simple storytelling.

>Mother becomes a monkey
>Father is still a human, still in his old armour
>End of the movie
>Mother appears as human
>Father appears as literally who
Why?

He wasn't human, he was a beetle-man.

I am trying to think of how to explain to you how dumb you are. It's not easy.

There are some pretty fucking anti climatic parts
I'm still mad that the two fights are against identical enemies and the most exciting fight is against the skeleton at the beginning

Force ghost rules, mang.

user, I think we have to talk about your father

Not only is that a really dumb thing to get mad about, the most exciting fight is definitely the fight on the boat.

Didn't look non human
Never said in story that something was done to him except his memory
Mother also had memory problems but was still human
It's the same fucking armor the second paper man has in the puppet fight (wich made me think he was a bad guy at the beginning)

See

>Didn't look non human
>Never said in story that something was done to him except his memory

user, that wasn't armor he was wearing.That was his carapace. he was a fucking beetle man with four arms.

You see I think the morons rendered the ending before the rest of the movie
There is no fucking reason not to show the father in the fucking human shape we know and grew attached to
I guarantee kids will have no idea what's happening

it's not armor, it's fucking bug carapace complete with extra limbs and wings and ability to skitter on walls
the sisters even say that they twisted his body

His armor was beetle-inspired so they went for the irony of turning him into a literal giant beetle

But the wings and extra arms and exoskeleton...

Are you for real?

>tfw monkey tried so hard to be rough with kubo, but still couldn't help herself from those motherly moments

>best fight
>not the boat fight with monkey
What?

The most exciting fight is when Kubo plays the music and the papper goer origami insane but I'm not counting that

>Father appears as literally who

He looked exactly like this fucker

It makes sense, that's just his magic powers
Every other character In the movie has magic powers
Making the father looks completely different at the end and showing that shape at any other point is Moronic just make him human but keep the face and shape

>It makes sense, that's just his magic powers
he didn't have magic powers you idiot. He was human. and before you say it, Kubo's mom was a god, not a human.

>It makes sense, that's just his magic powers
>Every other character In the movie has magic powers

the heavenly moon-people have magic powers

Hanzo was normal human that was cursed into a bug

They show pictures of human Hanzo in the tapestries at his castle so it's not out of nowhere.

What about the mural at the fortress?

>he's doubling down so he can claim he was just trolling and not retarded!
>a classic move!

>that's just his magic powers
Oh my god

>the most exciting part of the film is a third of the way in
>no, the most exciting part of the film is at the mid-way point, and definitely not the climax

You starting to see why people had problems with the film's anti-climaxes? I liked the film but I thought the weak story in the second half really held it back from being more than a technical masterpiece. Great opening, weak follow up.

so?
there was bviously some backstory about kubos father about taking his army everywhere and killing a bunch of monsters
he is cleraly not a normal human by any extent
he is also royalty since he has a castle and he gets a wierd line from godgrandpa
there is also no reason for him t get the armour in the first place other thn killing a bunch of people more

>he is cleraly not a normal human by any extent
>he is also royalty since he has a castle and he gets a wierd line from godgrandpa

Are you 10 or something?

And the academy award goes to Moana

>i will now curse you with these awesome superpowers that you will eventually use to defeat me

I think the finale being a performance rather than a fight is completely fine. To me that fits much better with the themes of the movie. I really did like Kubo though, I thought it was one of the best movies I saw all year.

>has castle
>has army
>has wierd monster and people killing fetish
>grandpa says reclame the throne or something like that abouthe helmet

If Beetle looked the same as always, then Kubo's mom would've recognized him instantly since she was completely lucid after turning into Monkey, instead of suffering from head trauma induced time of day based Alzheimer's

it sucks balls when the ghosts do absolutely nothing and the grandpa goes human
if you had kubo play music and the ghosts swarm him and some visual effects happen and he comes out human i would have been ok with it
also ladybug dies for absolutely no reason

That Kubo and the Two Strings reveal and Kubo being OP was still pretty fucking hype though.

Is amnesia a super power?

she had memory problems
both had memory problems
literally fucking cursed not to recognize each other
you know whats bullshit tho? the paper samurai, how does he know wich way to go?

he was a normal human. He was just extremely skilled at fighting. Having a castle does not make him royalty, he was a lord of a clan.Others flocked to him because he was a warrior that went toe to toe with the moon people. I don't recall the throne bit, so I can't comment on that. However, he was never referred to as prince or anything other than leader of the clan, so I find it more likely he was trying to reclaim a throne for some one else.

all of this is spelled out plainly in the movie. I don't understand why you are having such a difficult time with this.

I'm starting to think you didn't watch the movie user

saw it coming from a mile

I thought he was the physical embodiment of Hanzo's lost memory.

the reason why he fought so much is never stated sorry
all we know about the soldiers is that they gave their lives so kubo could escape, like you do with a prince?

>all we know about the soldiers is that they gave their lives so kubo could escape, like you do with a prince?
it's called loyalty. You don't need to be a prince to have it.

thats bullshit, if thats the excuse then im pissed
even it retaining the memories of kubos stories would be better than that

but it certainly helps doesnt it?

>she had memory problems
Her human body was smashed against the sea floor so her brain didn't function. Fortunately spirits don't have brains so she would have remembered everything as the monkey. Did you not actually see this?

Is this you?

>dad wasnt magic
>his memories were

>saw this movie for the first time while eating a tuna roll and two slices of pepperoni pizza with a pepsi

This movie is forever linked with that taste for me.

I like that.

how many frames per second did this movie have?

Kubo was a disappointment.

>he doesn't have an exoskeleton
fucking endos get out

you may have an exoskeleton but I have a sexoskeleton

What was the armor called again?

the breastplate impregnable

The Armoire of Invincibility

A pretty disappointment though.

I actually thought the movie was kind of mediocre. It was technically impressive, but I thought that even Boxtrolls was better.

And the academy award goes to sausache party

>Implying that isn't the case with all animation
vimeo.com/34080897
One month.

on computers

Oh, he sure did defeat them. Except, ya know, he couldn't even take them on for more than a second because they also made him a idiot.

Who didn't see those "twists" coming? What a terrible movie regardless, a waste of great stop motion.

Why must you hate everything?

I love things that are good, sadly, Kubo wasn't it

What's good, nigerian?

He was told more then once his power was growing.

He was effectively dowsing. He couldn't directly utilize it yet, but he could channel it through a power he already understood, the animation of the paper samurai.

>his aunts

>Didn't look non human
He had four arms, wings, and an exoskeleton. He's a goddamn human/beetle hybrid.
>Never said in story that something was done to him except his memory
But that was literally explained right before Beetle/Hanzo was killed by one of the evil sisters.
>Mother also had memory problems but was still human
That was due to a head injury. When she became monkey, she no longer had a head injury so she no longer had memory problems.
>It's the same fucking armor the second paper man has in the puppet fight (wich made me think he was a bad guy at the beginning)
But there was literally a scene that had the paper version of Hanzo being turned into a paper version of Beetle and they looked pretty different.

Are you honestly retarded?

How was Boxtrolls better? The setting and characters alone were better than anything in Boxtrolls.

I felt Kubo under-delivered real bad.
>Kubo stumbling upon his beetle dad was a gigantic convenience
>the scenes with the monsters were underwhelming (beetle avoids being smashed by the skeleton's foot by hovering one feet above the ground? what?)
>We never know where one location is in relation to the previous, which direction they are headed to or how far away they are from the starting location
>beetle's death was stupid, Monkey was asking him to take care of Kubo and then he's dead from a blow from the back
>the resolution was anti climatic
Overall it didn't feel very epic or adventurous. I felt it needed more conflict. The "journey" consisted of them going to nameless places to do useless things and going back to where they started. The fights against the Aunt were nice tho.

Boxtrolls however,
>it's called fucking boxtrolls, literally no one expects anything great
>tho not perfect it manages to be cute and funny
>has a cute pudgy loli with masochistic tendencies

>loli

So much for that opinion.

>Kubo stumbling upon his beetle dad was a gigantic convenience
They only found Beetle through paper Hanzo, who could possibly be Hanzo's lost memory guiding them.
>the scenes with the monsters were underwhelming (beetle avoids being smashed by the skeleton's foot by hovering one feet above the ground? what?)
I really don't understand this nitpick, the giant Skeleton fight was better than anything in Boxtrolls.
>We never know where one location is in relation to the previous, which direction they are headed to or how far away they are from the starting location
There's literally a map of all the locations in Kubo and it's all on one landmass. Not sure why this is such a huge problem for you, geographic orientation is hardly that important in a movie like Kubo.
>beetle's death was stupid, Monkey was asking him to take care of Kubo and then he's dead from a blow from the back
He got stabbed in the back and his death was fairly emotional. I'll agree it was a bit sudden but it worked with the way they handled it.
>the resolution was anti climatic
Because he didn't resolve the conflict with a stereotypical sword fight? If anything, the resolution tied perfectly with the theme of the movie, especially with the revelation of what the 'Two Strings' in the title means.

My problem with Boxtrolls is that the setting, story, and characters were just sort of bland. I never felt anything for the titular Boxtrolls either. The only thing I really liked about the movie was the villain and even then I found him kind of weak compared to all the other Laika antagonists.

The Sword Unerectable

How about the fact that Kubo himself was a really though, diligent, selfless kid, who takes care not only of himself, but also his mother at the start of the movie... and as soon as shit hits the fan he turns into a whinny piece of shit. Why?

Also, the whole reason he got into trouble in the first place, his mother tells him to never stay out at night, ok. The old woman tells him he can talk to his father in this festival... (in my head "oh, but the festival is at night? are we going to have some tension?") nope, the festival starts right now, in the afternoon. So his father doesn't come, time to go home? Nope, time to take a nap. HE IS GOING TO WAKE UP AT NIGHnope, woke up still at sunset, so does he run home? No, he just keeps waiting until night time because the script really needs him to...
Do the script writers not know they have control over the script? Why were they purposefully avoiding every reasonable motive for Kubo to stay out at night, and instead making Kubo to choose again and again to make the most retarded out of character choices?

The most obvious twist(s) ever, you'd think they would at least work on the reveal, make it really impactful, but on one occasion his mother just decides she doesn't want to keep it hidden anymore after a bunch of exposition, and then at the end the other evil sister just casually slips "btw you're hanzo", "oh, ok, i am hanzo then", a few moments before he dies the more pathetic death in the history of film.

We never get to know why grampa didn't simply kill Hanzo instead of turning him into a beetle

Also, from all the great designs, how ridiculous was grampa's final form...

I could go on but I only have 2000 characters, and this movie is so terrible, so

Terrible script, cringy attempts at humor, awful pacing, terrible voice acting save for Kubo and the old woman, shallow, forced nonsensical "message".

"You are my quest."

>They only found Beetle through paper Hanzo
Of all places they could've been teleported to, they were teleported to just a few meters away from him.
>I really don't understand this nitpick
It's not a nitpick, it's an example to illustrate of how badly constructed the scene was. The entire sequence was underwhelming. It may be better than the (few) action sequences in boxtrolls, but it's still vastly inferior to action sequences in other animated movies. It's an even bigger letdown considering the amazing puppet they used for the skeleton.
>geographic orientation is hardly that important in a movie like Kubo.
I don't remember a map. And I'm sure geographical location is not important on a movie where they hop from location to location for over 100 minutes.
>Because he didn't resolve the conflict with a stereotypical sword fight?
No, because everything was over in a single stroke. The Grandfather charges at kubo, he strokes his guitar, the end. How about a little more conflict there? We don't fear for Kubo's life at that point, since he already has his instrument ready. That's boring as shit.

I'm not saying Boxtrolls was good tho. It was also mediocre, but at least it wasn't disappointingly mediocre, like Kubo.

>Because he didn't resolve the conflict with a stereotypical sword fight?

We actually did get the "stereotypical sword fight", and Kubo was kicking his grandfather's ass like he was a badass samurai, so we never felt he was in danger in the first place. If this movie was smart they would have him take a beating trying to fight with the sword, before realising his power came from a different place... it also would be better if his power didn't come with that ridiculously shallow moral of the story deus ex machina

Brand recognition works. Most people see going to the movies as an investment on your money. It's harder to relate when we shitpost on a website dedicated to obsessing over these movies for months on end, but your average family of moviegoers will show up to the theatre, maybe only seeing a couple trailers for things playing, and see what's playing currently. Not everybody is willing to take a risk on a strange-looking film like Kubo, when Ice Age is something they recognize and "know what they're getting into."

If it makes you feel better, the fifth Ice Age was a huge flop in America, and the franchise only continues to rake in millions because Europe has a bizarre fascination with it.

are
are you blind?

unrelated question, if beetle was hanzo the whole, who was lil hanzo?

armour unnecessary

I still thought the reveal was handled too rushed, but still great film though

>Kubo and the two strings
whaaa, but in the end he only got....OOOOOOOOH now this movie officially destroyed me

comment underrated

but without it there wouldn't have been a story

It was beautiful, but the story was kind of shit.
Those 'reveals' were obvious from the first moment the characters were introduced. What are you talking about?

>even Boxtrolls was better.
Boxtrolls was appalling.

I thought I was the only one that thought that kek

Watched it yesterday. It looks great but I was really disappointed with the writing.

My main gripe was that a lot of emotional point of the film like "at least I had a dinner with my parent", "fuck you, granddad, being human is cooler than whatever the fuck you are", "people we love turn into stories that guide us (or something)" fall flat, probably because they weren't developed enough. There were times when bug-dad's jokes ruined perfectly good drama.

Looks like someone didn't gauge their expectations correctly.