Just got back from a screening of pic related, great film. Probably my favorite Ghibli movie, what's yours?

Just got back from a screening of pic related, great film. Probably my favorite Ghibli movie, what's yours?

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/179564507
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

whisper of the heart

Kiki's Delivery Service

This. I've been taking my little brother to each of the Ghibli screenings but missed on like three. Def not gonna miss out on Spirited Away next month though. That's gonna be a blast to watch on the big screen.

the On Your Mark music video vimeo.com/179564507

they had them all showing here but I could find time to see anything.
also don't dismiss when marnie was there even though it is the latest it's definitely one of the best.

>inb4pleb

spirited away is my favorite

>porco rosso is the best, am i cool yet?

I've heard the Princess Kaguya film is also pretty good. Worth checking out?

Spirited Away and Porco Rosso are Miyzaki's two strongest films. There's no need for antagonism.

Yes.

This movie fucking sucked, go read the comic you brainlet.

i know but i'm so passionately defensive about my favorite movie that i was tempted to use pre-emptive antagonism

No matter how good the manga is it will never have a soundtrack. And Nausicaa's was fantastic.

>screening's for movies decades old
For what purpose?

Nausicaa is my favorite ghibli film too, user. Great taste, my dude.

Hey andre

Animation is timeless.

My Neighbor Totoro and it's not close for me, the exact spirit of benevolence that manifests in Ghibli productions was perfected there

nausicaa isnt a ghibli film, you rtards

I meant you can obviously get it in other ways. And no, it's not. Die Abenteuer des Prinzen Achmed has aged like milk.

Spirited Away actually has all this amongst conflict tho

I only liked Nausicaa and Laputa. Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Services, and Spirited Away were ass.

Which Ghibli movie should I watch next?

That's Porco for me
Perfect movie

>Though it was made before Studio Ghibli was founded, it is often considered a Ghibli work, and was released as part of the Studio Ghibli Collection DVD and Blu-ray

>liked castle in the sky
>didn't like totoro, kiki, or spirited away

how is it possible to be like this

It was created before the studio was, but still written and directed by Miyazaki

What the fuck OP I just saw this as well.
I was completely blown away. I like other miyazaki films but this one was one a whole different level.

nice green text. still dosent make it a ghibli movie

ur dum

Porco Rosso is my favorite

Yeah, probably this. The first hour is by far the best thing Ghibli ever did. Second hour is not as good, but it's still pretty great.

So far I've only seen spirited away and grave of the fireflies
What else is worth watching?

literally all of the movies listed in this thread are worth watching

i respect your opinion Lawrence, let us be at peace

That movie was great.

It also made me ship a tomboy granddaughter with her gaijin grandmother Damn you Yonebayashi.

They were too cutesy? I feel I was buying into Ghibli hype and came away disappointed.

the manga is much much better manga of all years, centuries and ages.

>Spirited Away actually has all this amongst conflict tho

Which is exactly why its top tier.

Nausica was lovely kino. Great pictures and music and all. But the protagonist is boring, typical fucking mary sue.

In some ways, it's even more heartbreaking than Grave of the Fireflies. Takahata knows how to pull at the heartstrings.

everyone's always sleepin on the wind rises

Porco Rosso is Myizaki's best.
Hate the ending. Didn't follow what built up to it at all just felt tacked on like they needed some drama / resolution.

Is this a nationwide thing that's going on? I just got back from a screening too. Mononoke is my favorite but this is a close second.

Princess Mononoke

Why were they screening it? That movie is old.

muh nature

Mononoke, but only because the Nausicaa manga puts the movie to shame
too bad Anno won't be doing the sequel like Miyazaki hoped

Me too. It's worth it for the sountrack alone. I've got a decent system but hearing it at a theatre is unreal.

NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind, Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Princess Mononoke are all tied for being my favorite.
In fact, I also watched NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind in the cinema a while ago.

Films only, but that music video is really great too.

>88277777

Perhaps, but I'm sorry to say that nobody gives a fuck.

Fuck I could've gone and seen this, but the theatre is more than an hour away. Although was thinking about it.

I used to think that Mononoke improved on almost every aspect of Nausicaa, but I'm starting to change my opinion. Nausicaa is a more visually ambitious movie--the dystopian setting, vehicles and creatures all look unique and really suck you into that world. Nausicaa's characters might not be very interesting and the ending is lame, but I'm glad we got to see that world come to life.

>when you go in expecting a /comfy/ Miyazakino and leave an emotional wreck

You guys realize Ghibli makes children's movies, right?

Oh well. Envious of all the unwatched 11/10 material you guys have yet to stumble upon in the medium.

KILLIONS!

>Die Abenteuer des Prinzen Achmed has aged like milk.
Not really. It's still fun to watch.

they aren't just for children and some a definitely not for children also i've watched a lot and Ghibli is the cream of the crop in many ways

It's less impressive today than it was then. It is not timeless. That's the point. Toy Story doesn't look so hot either.

Anime for children tend to be more mature than anime for adults.
>unwatched 11/10 material
I wish.

i didn't mind it so much since it felt more like it was trying to be a fable or something written in that mode, broad strokes instead of a nitty gritty human element

Was it that impressive in the 1920s? I'm sure there were similar earlier animation shorts. Similar animation is used in Warning Shadows.

Why is Nausicaa such a Mary Sue?

She is a messianic archetype.

>Was it that impressive in the 1920s?
Maybe? I was just disputing the notion that animation is timeless, because it can age like everything else.

Ghibli specifically makes children and family films. Things you are thinking aren't child-friendly are perfectly acceptable in Japan for children.

Just saying, this is like discussing your favorite Disney animated film on Sup Forums. It's fine, but not really the right board and it's kinda smelly.

>i've watched a lot and Ghibli is the cream of the crop in many ways
Nobody who's watched even just over 50 series says this. Or even just three or four OVA series from the 80s.

>I wish.
I envy you. Mountains you have not seen.

i want kushana to bully me

why'd he have to die :(

>I envy you. Mountains you have not seen.
I think I've seen most important anime films made in Japan.

That's the thing. When it comes to anime, film is only a tiny sliver of where the adult-oriented material lies. Stuff they show in theaters is usually geared towards children, teenagers, or families, because these are the kinds of people who see things in theaters there. Adults go for late night television and in the past OVA releases. Even back when film was viable for adult audiences there, they quickly found out due to international rental markets that it was more profitable to immediately port things to video, which is why the OVA boom happened. That's where the bulk of good material is outside of televised series.

Nausicaa is objectively only the 2nd best Ghibli Movie after Princess Mononoke. Every other opinion is wrong and can/should be ignored.

I watched some Japanese anime series. Evangelion, Mushishi, Paranoia Agent, Lain and others. I still prefer Ghibli.

Mononoke please.

It would be a really good movie if it was 1 hour shorter and had a diffrent artstyle. Watching it feels like work.

Yeah, a few series marketed towards teenagers. Eva and PA even had children's timeslots, though that didn't work out for Eva in the end to be fair. Some of the first things people tend to watch.

Literally mountains.

>Spending $13 to see a movie that you can get online for FREE. (Also accounting for the gas you spending driving to the cinema)

Why did people do this?

>Literally mountains.
Where are there mountains of film? Where are they located? Are they on a map? Who would ever store film like this?

>Literally mountains.
Can you name three?

He didn't kill enough

>He liked did not like the children cartoons aimed at people the same age as it's main protagonists over the more serious, adult themed and kind of gritty Ghibli-Anime!

>That scene where they're all playing music and the others come in to play with them
Pure Movie-Magic

I'm not actually the biggest fan of the Nausicaa film, the Manga on the other hand hooooly shit god tier.

Oh please, stop with this. There are only a handful of actual series that are on par with or better than the Ghibli films, and around half of those are magical girl shows.

>Adults go for late night television and in the past OVA releases.
None of which has produced anything comparable in quality.

No he can't, he's rusing you and you know it. I wish this were the case though.

Earthsea
Ponyo

Whispers of the Heart

>When you go in expecting a good movie and you get The Wind Rises

That one.

Why has there not been a full adaptation of the books? Because shitloads of the action happens inside planes?

COUNTLY LOOD

a 10 hour miniseries would be amazing

grave of the fireflies, but nausicaa and mononoke are right there too.

seems like nausicaa is slowly coming back around lately and rising in a lot of peoples eyes, not quite so overlooked and forgotten anymore. might just be me seeing things again, but it really does seem that way..

OVAs more entertaining than children's movies? Why stop at three?
>Lodoss
>Ys
>Key the Metal Idol
>Arslan Senki
>Megazone 23
>Carnival Phantasm
>Kowarekake no Orgel
>Mad Bull 34
>08th MS Team
>Gunbuster
>LoGH
>Nekojiru Sou
>Wizardry
>MD Geist
>Seijuuki Cyguard
>Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel
>Gunnm
>Genocyber
Off the top of my head. And just OVAs, not even talking series or movies here. You guys are like little babies when it comes to anime. Not an insult, just envy, I miss those days. Enjoy all the free recs.

>There are only a handful of actual series that are on par with or better than the Ghibli films
I remember when I was just getting into anime.

>No he can't, he's rusing you and you know it.
No, I'm just not sitting here refreshing a misplaced thread over and over to fling shit due to anal hemorrhaging.

>MD Geist
C'mon user. It's a meme, it's not actually good.

On the contrary, it's a classic pleb filter, hence how polarized opinions are of it.
>Top-tier science fiction including genetic engineering, interplanetary embargoes, and automated mutual destruction devices for political protection demonstrated concisely without wasting time with exposition
>Original action sequences that remain fresh and non-repetitive scene to scene
>Utterly unique main character who's motivations are slowly made clear through the length of the OVA instead of being presumed or explained outright
>Unique narrative with one of the greatest plot twists in the entire visual medium

Princess Mononoke is the best Ghibli movie.

Any love for From Up on Poppy Hill? This one took me by surprise and totally exceeded my expectations considering how often people seem to shit on
>Goro Miyazaki

its comfy but the story is a bit weird

geist is pure unfiltered kino

Yeah I thought it was great.

Spirited away has awful pacing and an unfocused plot