La La Land is literally kino and I wish I were a girl so that I could like it without being called a girl

La La Land is literally kino and I wish I were a girl so that I could like it without being called a girl.

watched it yesterday, I wanted to like it but the characters were so unlikable I just couldn't care

I want to ask for more details on that opinion but I find it much weirder that every time I create a thread about a film that I liked, someone says that they "watched it yesterday." Realistically, what are the chances?

well i literally just watched it last night, I had been putting it off for a while.
on the characters, I didn't buy Goose as a jazz guy for a second and the conflict in the story was a bit weak and manufactured. could have done with some more singing and dancing too

Fair enough. Did you like the songs that were there at least? Those were the reasons I liked the movie so much. I'm also the kind of guy who is impressed by visuals to the extent that I can sometimes forgive a weak story. Not to say I don't enjoy good stories.

It's a fantastic movie to watch drunk

City of Stars is the only good song. Every Disney movie of the past 20 years has had a better soundtrack.

But if you were a girl you'd be called a girl even more often.

First off, that's not fair because every Disney movie has a great soundtrack. Second, what do you have against Another Day of Sun?

why can't they work fight scenes into musicals

ITS DISHONEST FILMMAKING FOR HOMOSEXUALS AND FEMALES

ALSO EMMA STONE IS THE MOST ANNOYING SLAG IN HOLLYWOOD

Not really. If you're a girl it kind of goes without saying. You're just a girl.

>watching musicals

Even though the song didn't blow me away, I remember watching the opening scene and saying "damn, I'm in for some fucking kino." And then the rest of the movie was a complete disappointment, a poorly written romance where good things fall into the shitty characters' laps.

It was a fine song, just not really memorable. It set the scene really well though. I wouldn't listen to it on its own, I guess is what I'm saying.

Gooseman is genuinely a talented musician, user

I really enjoyed the score, and the visuals were fantastic, but the plot falls very flat and the "musical" aspect seems like an afterthought for most of the movie.

well it was his acting then
dancing was a bit sloppy too and I know he can dance

>a poorly written romance where good things fall into the shitty characters' laps.
I'm not sure I would describe it that way. Neither of them were truly happy at the end. It was almost as if God gave them an ironic punishment for their hubris, by letting them achieve fame only for them to realize they would have been happier without it.

This makes me curious though, what are your thoughts on Whiplash?

>Live action musicals

I thought that they did that to make both characters literally achieving their dreams seem less saccharine. A break-up doesn't come close to counteracting that though.

I absolutely adored Whiplash. While success falls into the characters' laps in LLL, we see the protagonist literally bleed to get where he is in Whiplash. The dynamic between the two main characters in Whiplash feels unique while the dynamic between the two main characters in LLL feels cliche. This may be due to the fact that it's a love letter to a lot of classic musicals, but it didn't work for me here.

I'm still looking forward to Chazelle's next movie. It's about astronauts right? Should be fun.

i dislike how it was basically ripping the piss out of musicals but couldn't do the music, dancing or singing nearly as well

baby driver was a better cutting edge musical

Are you serious? There are tons of musicals with fight scenes. Les Miserables, off the top of my head.

I can respect that opinion. I think I liked Whiplash more than La La Land myself anyway. And your reasoning for being disappointed with LLL makes sense, even if it didn't personally bother me. Here's hoping that next movie satisfies both of us.