I don't get it, why did he keep pursuing that another ship instead of returning to port for repairs?

I don't get it, why did he keep pursuing that another ship instead of returning to port for repairs?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperium
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are you woman? Because if you are, you won't understand.

Anglos never run

LONDON

Repairs take weeks on those ships.

a/s/l?

What is this meme even about?

Because far side of the world is actually hell.

There's no point explaining it to you, a women couldn't possibly understand

t. woman

Because money.
They got hell of a ton of extra payment for bringing prizes like enemy ships
Read the book, brainlet

Us men, am i right?

Because honor and justice. Something females cannot comprehend.

How many women do you know well?

london??

14 f cali
I'm actually a 45 yr old fat man so don't baneriono me for my kino old school meme my janny wanny friend

He was given an order. The ship was spotted and they knew its relative location so you have to pursue it. The same reason they didn't go around that MG emplacement in Saving Private Ryan, they had a duty to win the war and to save fellow countryman. If they let the ship go it could wreak more havoc.

Tits or get the fuck out!

You mean fight for Israel

I keked you historical illiterate

This, I'm only on the first book where he's only commander of a sloop but the prize-money described is insane

>5 pounds a month salary
>800 pounds prize-money for a ship

I happen to know several women, and none of them understand what it means to be honourable or loyal

>being on a ship with a bunch of good blokes drinking rum and having a merry old time in your own world on top of the sea
Shit I'd do it for 5 pounds a month today

If he let it go he'd probably be let off the hook, they were given credit if their assessment of the situation suggested it'd be impossible to overpower the enemy. Aubrey would be expected to try and find support though. It's based off Aubrey's first command in the novels where he has a literal 12 gun a side sloop and captures a barca-longa 36 gun frigate by pretending to be a indiaman.

Sounds like victory to me. Overcoming and enemy who has superior numbers and firepower.

>The Brécourt Manor Assault (6 June 1944) during the U.S. parachute assault of the Normandy Invasion of World War II is often cited as a classic example of small-unit tactics and leadership in overcoming a larger enemy force.
Based 1st Lt. Richard Winters
Seems like there are great men in all of history who had the balls to do what is necessary

He who dares, though you rarely ever hear about all the failed operations which is why war can sound so appealling.

Fair point and very true. I'll be honest didn't think of that.

You know what I don't get. How can you be master AND commander? Like you're either one or the other.

You'd bemoan the lack of WiFi and clean toilets within two days.

I would then I'd remember there is no choice and carry on and get based scurvy and be one of the lads.

Becasue he would lose sight of the enemy and have to start over again.

>Ship is described as being 24 meters long
>Hull is 3 meters tall
>91 men on board
>50 ratings sleep in a single room on several tiers of hammocks
>Chamberpot is reserved for people who are sick, if you need to go otherwise you climb up on deck and squat over the rails
>Doesn't matter if it's a storm out

Might be ok if you're an officer but the ordinary sailors had it tough

He is master of niggers of that ship

He's Master of the crew and Commander of the ship, though you are always a commander by default once you've been commissioned as Captain.

And then you lose all your teeth.

any other flick about life on the sea?

But that is normal back then, it's only abnormal and extreme for us who can go walk to the dunny right now.
Heck, join the army today and if you're deployed you dig a hole and shit or go in a diaper.
The more shit changes the more it stays the same.
I haven't served so don't be all triggered and shit if I got shit wrong

Woman detected.

The state of medicine in general on the ships is awful. The ship surgeon being a real doctor was apparently a huge rarity, everybody is amazed when Stephen Maturin actually volunteers to serve

post pusy

With the army you have the whole forest to shit in, naval life, whether today or 200 years ago has always been pretty desperate.

Jesus christ, at least you don't have to go climbing around mast shrouds and swinging from yard to yard to reef sails like in the olden days, I can't imagine the level of acrobatics that sailors had to perform as standard.

they'd figured out how to avoid scurvy at that point I think.
Lemons, yo

>tfw a replica of Captain Cook's endeavour came up on auction and sold for 110k near me
>it sailed to australia and has full rigging and was recently graved.

another lost dream

Woman, homosexual and/or racial minority detected

>recently graved.
What in the fuck.
I'm Aussie and didn't even hear about it.
Well you're not wrong. Can you imagine the OHS shit that would have to be done to hoist a main sail these days. High vis shirts, spotters, a toolbox meeting, risk assessment.

right, but the only reason OHS even matters is because the crew, even the lowest-rank enlisted men, are seen to have some value. Jack Aubrey's crew included drafted men, many of whom weren't even from Britain. if some creole falls out of a crow's nest to his death the captain just clucks his tongue at the dent made in the main-deck floor.

Well the poor buggers that have to scrub the deck are probably a bit pissed too

like prison but with the added threat of drowning

It's crazy to think that despite all the obvious shortcomings the navy was seen as a prestigious institution for the English nobility. Obviously officers were treated differently to enlisted men, but if you were the son of an earl being sent away from your estate to live on a ship like this must have seemed like hell.

for King and Country back when it meant something fuck signing up today

Indeedy, impressment meant that there would be a whole load of sailors from all sorts of places, a lot of them effectively prisoners of war or merchantmen who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It didn't mean that they weren't valuable though, skilled mariners were relatively hard to come by (thus the impressment), so you don't really want to go losing men left right and centre.

The navy was the largest branch of the armed forces, and the prize money meant that it was a pretty solid way for second sons of the aristocracy to earn a living. Still, enormously risky as a line of work, many more fatalities among the officer class than if you were in the army.

It wasn't unknown for the Navy to execute officers for cowardice. The phrase 'pour encourager les autres' is from a bit of Voltaire which translates as 'In this country, it is wise to kill an admiral from time to time to encourage the others' and refers to the execution of Admiral Byng after he withdrew from an unsuccessful assault to relieve Minorca from French invasion.

>It's based off Aubrey's first command in the novels where he has a literal 12 gun a side sloop and captures a barca-longa 36 gun frigate by pretending to be a indiaman.

Crazy how much things have changed, back then everybody used these sly underhanded tactics while today perfidy is a war crime that would get Aubrey court-martialled without question.

For England.

>back when it meant something fuck signing up today
Sad but true.

You are idiots

The Doctor was the master, Audbrey was the Commander

Are the books worth a read?

If you want a book that's very, very in-depth on life in a 19th century military ship. You'll be googling nautical terms 10 times per page, be prepared for that.

Not the guy you replied to, but I kinda liked that in the movie, how they used a lot of nautical terms that is.

"As the wind came round on to the beam they set staysails and the fore-and-aft mainsail ... Now, with the studdingsails in, the chase - or the ghost of the chase, a pale blur showing now and then on the lifting swell - could be seen from the quarter-deck ..."

Typical paragraph taken from one of the books. It's not just that the characters use naval terms as they would, it's that the author himself assumes you just know this stuff and writes accordingly.

To wives and sweethearts
may they never meet

This plus sodomy

>good blokes that bully you into suicide

He was a shit officer. Lets be honest. It wasn't right that they bullied him but they only bullied him because he was weak and would have got them killed.
Look at the world today. Don't you think it could use a bit more bullying.
Lord Blakeney, he was an officer. Some people just don't have it in them. I don't know if I'd have it in me if I'm truly honest, if I couldn't lead and keep men alive maybe I'd deserve to take a swim with a cannonball too. It would be best for the men.

So, any sailing kino recommendations outside of these:

Master and Commander
Mutiny on the Bounty
Horatio Hornblower
The Onedin Line
Black Sails

>join the 2017 Royal Navy
>two weeks ethnic sensitivity training
>two weeks gender equality training
>weekly seminars on why you're bombing certain brown people for daring to have stable nations
>weekly seminars on why other brown people are welcome to enter the UK and rape your daughters
>expected to rely on sailor grrrls who can't lift an MG onto the rail
>rounded up by the thought police if you want to protect your country against party-approved invaders
>no insensitive jokes, will offend petty officer abdul or sublieutenant becky
>finally stationed to a warship, Britain's new aircraft carrier no less
>no planes

damn son...

>expected to rely on sailor grrrls who can't lift an MG onto the rail
Spotted the navy xir

that's xer to you shitlord
take him to the brig

Him!? Ha, we'll both be sent to the brig now and one of us is giving birth in the mess deck while lunch is served to see how tolerant the crew is.

Don't believe you.

Show me the back of your ____90 with timestamp or a pic of your mess.

Except when they do

woman*

his movie was so disappointing. At first I thought the crew would rebel against that crazy captain. But once they arrived on the island, the film turned complete american military propaganda. Of course le french are total cowards and get BTFO. Why? Because it was 2003 and the US wanted WAR in Iraq, the french were against it.

There's not actually whole weeks devoted to sensitivity training but there is definitely frequent seminars and presentations.

The rest is accurate. Women are being pushed into combat roles as well now and a few British Army soldiers just got arrested for being part of a dangerous right-wing facebook group.
Y'know, like those right wing terrorists who've been blowing up concerts and shit.
Wait...

wow look at me I watched BoB
>Overcoming and enemy

Not to mention that other boat was the newest most advanced ship on the seas, the technology alone.

>sublieutenant becky
The most resounding, horrifying part of your post. I can see it

No. Aubrey was Master and Commander on his ship, like how a Roman could be given imperium en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperium
This ship is England. He ruled over those sailors.

You've come to the wrong shop for anarchy brother.

this film is another in the dozens of films to prove oscars are meaningless popularity contests. this should have won best picture instead of return of the king, mac:fsotw is an objectively better film. that's just reality

Yay you got my reference

Fuck that. I'd join a whaling crew. Not only were they paid much better but they had much higher quality stores.

>they only bullied him because he was weak and would have got them killed.
They bullied him because they all thought he was cursed. Sailors are a superstitious lot, but when you're isolated on a tiny boat in the middle of the ocean weeks away from safe harbor one can appreciate how they'd cling to whatever they could.

White Squall

looks promising. cheers, m8

But he was a shit officer though, indecisive and timid.

This. For every heroic feat against overwhelming odds there's dozens of failures where the only reaction was "What an idiot. What did he expect?"

Sure he was, but it's a bit of the chicken and the egg. If the entire crew, including the captain, thinks you're a jynx you're going to have some trouble being assertive.
Wasn't he a brand new officer as well?

The sailors had like 20-30cm headspace between their hammock and the arse of the guy sleeping above you.

And know why pissing on the deck was a serious ass offence? Because the piss went between the planks and rained onto the guys sleeping below.

Back then war was kind of a game for the aristocracy. These days war is so incredibly destructive for everyone, that at some point we realized that certain rules are necessary in order to protect the poor sods that ultimately pay the price for politicians' actions.

because he was both the master and commander
this is important to remember at all times

Once you know one you know them all

He was a cadet, wasn't he? Meaning he was still an officer in training.

If I remember correctly, wasn't the 36 called the Cacafuego, which means fire-shitter or something like that

What is this?

Something women will never EVER understand

*blocks your path*

if you have to ask you will never know

Peace time sucked for these guys. Officers received half pay. During war their pay doubled, and they able to take enemy ships as a prize. Take more ships, and you have a fortune to retire on. Serve during a long period of peace, and you rely on your sister for retirement.

Weevils