Season 1 best season

So, most people agree this show peaked early in season 1, right?

yes
they fucked up and continued to fuck up ever since

Was better as a monster of the week since Sucrose cant write a plot for shit.

Steven Universe fans are some of the most defensive about their show than any cartoon fandom I've seen, and yet they're still using fucking Jailbreak as an example of why SU is superior to everything else.

Like that's still their go-to example for the high quality of the show after nearly 3 other seasons.

I actually prefer the mirror gem/ocean gem 2 parter. Maybe I should have used that for op image instead. Too late now.

Like X-Files, but for kids.

>all these bandwagoners who started with a season finale and then complain that the rest of the show isn't like that

whew, back when there was actual tension and your heart skipped a beat everytime you saw glimpses of Peridot or found out some gem-lore

jail break isn't actually season 1 though

Warp Tour is when this show jumped the shark they should have kept as magic and and not ayylmaos, with magic you can make any bullshit and never have to explain it fully unlike scifi.

The biggest problem with this show is there are no FUCKING VILLAINS.

Season 1B.

>tfw a show wastes momentum for 2 seasons full of fluffy garbage

>tfw su will never have episodes like Frybo and Catfingers again

I assumed op was talking about season 1a. Because of the usage of the word "early" and just used a screenshot from "the return" for recognizably factor.

Since it was the penultimate episode of the season

no

Didn't really have a problem with them being aliens.

As for the villains; I think I'm one of the few who would've preferred Peridot remain in her original depiction in her first appearance. I wanted her to be a villain, not a goofy friend.

The fans seem to really love the idea of redeeming all the bad guys and the show just being happy fun time (mis)adventures though. Apparently the writers agreed at some point.

it did work a lot better with jasper running around in the back doing wathever
hell it was the most enjoyable the show has been since season 1

>mfw bandwagoners have actually suggested to skip everything prior to mirror gem/ocean gem

I would have preferred that Peridot was just a sociopath gem darwinist instead of an autistic womanchild.

Peridot wouldnt have been sent on earth on to check up on the Kindergarden no she would go earth becauase she received permission to use the planet as a sight for her project. Thus there episodes that show Peridot wanting to go back to HW never happen, also that Cluster bullshit doesnt exist either.

>Peridot was just a sociopath gem darwinist
Isn't that basically jasper?

No Jasper is just a warrior.

Also the diamonds should have been sealed away to be used as an ancient evil shtick in the future.

this
big baddy should be kept away until the big reveal at the end
the people making steven universe are incredibly bad at it
they destroyed all the cool lore season one built for no reason

They don't understand less is more.

less crying, more action and comedy

We all agree this could have been a great high-fantasy artistic show before some retard took hold of the idea and ruined it with her fat hippy starchild MC and those fugly designs and don't get me started on the sexual progressive shit.

Yes. If we're going to consider 1A and 1B as separate seasons (which we really should, since they had different production cycles), then 1B was best, but 1A was not far behind.

A lot of people point to Arrival/Jailbreak as a peak, and although it was a good episode, there are better ones. Mirror Gem/Ocean Gem were a better two-parter.

I don't say this to shit on the show or gloat over people who still watch it. I think it's really unfortunate that the SU crew managed to slip so greatly in quality during S2. But still, I'm thankful for the good episodes we got.

that wouldve been sick, I love titan-like figures

instead we have yellow diamond freaking out over womanchild Peri

>Like X-Files, but for kids.
This is a discription I will use from now on

like it or not you can either be an action show or a drama
thats two different shows all together wich is not to say there isnt room for drama in n action show or action on a drama but first you have to commit to one
and i know all the tumblr su fans would be perfectly ok with doing away with the action alltogether
season one had much more action even if it was mostly villain of the week it had structure, we knew we where either getting a monster, a mission or a steven does something episode
later seasons are mostly that part in cartoons that you know must happen but it isnt shown because its boring like seeing a character take a shit

Seeing as how /sug/ is just retards shitposting, lets discuss actual ideas for SU in this thread.

Now the whole Gem Empire being the enemy is a bad idea because its an invincible enemy due to being an interstellar civilization so the main villain of SU should be an earthbound villain.

The Gem Empire is just for gem exposition but are not evil, and this of course removes that horrible rebellion plot in SU. Allowing it to be replaced by something much better.

Get rid of the Fusion=Sex bullshit as well, I dont care what you say combining your form with another being would actually kill you because it breaks down your fucking brain.

Season 1A was a really good miniseries.

The rest of the series isn't as tightly knit or well planned and drops the action edge that complimented the comedy and drama.

>implying SU ISN'T 90% filler that could be condensed into a 10 episode OVA

Wait, are we discussing theories within the show, or ideas of what the show could've been?

As it seems now the Gempire is looks like the Vultrum Empire in Invincible. They were once the biggest fuckers around but are actually down to so low numbers that they are less then a shadow of their former self. That would at least explain the small numbers and the quality of the troops they been sending so far.
Or as so often creators can't into scale and just wrote themselfs in a corner once again

Remove Lapis shes an unneeded bitch, make Lapis a recurring villain to the main antagonist of the show instead. Too much episodes are wasted on trying to humanize this alien bitch rather than develop the plot.

Also remove Peridot as well.

Wasn't Jasper shown doing that only once before the episode where she got poofed happened though?

>big baddy should be kept away until the big reveal at the end

Wouldn't that make them seem like a bit space flea from no where or whatever that fucking trope is called?

/sug/ is still alive and nobody there has a brain
i think by now the show is kind of unfixable, you are right that the gem empire shouldnt have been the bad guy, some other gem/ group seeking revenge should have been
it would have made an awesome finale for the show to finally get to go to home planet only to ffind it in ruins, what happened? did everyone die? did they move on to some other corneer of the universe? that kind of thing

Nuuuuhhh they haven't even had sex yet with Pearl, err I mean fuse, yeah that's what I meant.

Plot explains the small numbers of troops, its an interstellar civilization there are at least 1 quintillion gems existing right now in the Milky Way Galaxy, there is no way in fuck you can beat an interstellar civilization without ANOTHER interstellar civilization. Seriously just look at how long wars between advanced civilizations are in scifi.

Inserting Lapis and Peridot too much into the show really made it a drag. SU has a clear dynamic around Steven and the Crystal Gems. Adding extra characters upsets that dynamic.

Season 2 was good too, because FUSIONS & PERIDOT

youtube.com/watch?v=8YKSnkZlqqE

Would have been funny if the CG were actually a band of morons that went to earth while the rest of Gemkind advanced and ditched HW going to another galaxy because they felt the Milky Way was a backwater shithole.
Indeed Sucrose also cant stop making new characters no one cares about like Randy.

>combining your form with another being would actually kill you because it breaks down your fucking brain.

Except the actual gems are their brains and those do not get broken down during fusion.

jasper wasnt shown much wich actually is a plus
everyone kept saying jasper, jasper is out there wich is what a villain does add tension
garnet went aaround looking for her, then we see her fighting two monsters and being totally rad at it, she shows off infront of amathyst making her have to deal with her own shortcomings, she harrases lpis, she has clear motives and a real ark. Even the fight at the end when its obvious she doesnt even know what she is doing and she delivers the truth to amathyst that she will never be as strong as she should be jasper is completely awesome, hell she delivers a whole more exposittion when she dies
steven universe has a million useless characters, jasper isnt one

watch alien or any good horror movie

I actually kinda like Lapis. At least initially. I actually preferred her when she seemed more mysterious and unstable. I would have liked it if they had kept that. She could still function as an anti hero of sorts like that, and an occasional ally.

I guess what I'm saying is I like the initial depictions of both Lapis and even Peridot rather than what they turned into.

it would have been thematical with the whole ancient civilization full of misteries thing su established in season one

Ironically, I think that probably would have been the only way to keep the show as it is and still salvage the mess. Imagine this:

>Season 1 remains mostly the same
>instead of Lapis making it home, she was intercepted mid-flight by Peridot and Jasper
>instead of Steven and the Gems being captured, it's just an 11 minute brawl on the beach ending with the formation of Malachite and Peridot escaping in the chaos
>Season 2, the cluster doesn't exist
>when the Gems finally corner Peridot she makes a big reveal: Homeworld is gone
>turns out after the war ended rebellion spread like wildfire through the Empire
>the remaining Diamonds were deposed, but the Gems that took their place didn't know what the fuck they were doing
>differences on how to rule, whether or not kindergartens should be used, changing ideologies, etc, led to the Empire breaking to a dozen different factions all at each others throats
>Gemkind wasn't able to reproduce fast enough to cover the losses incurred by civil war and the entire species is reduced to a handful of vagrant Gems drifting aimlessly through space
>Jasper and Peridot were two such Gems, and when they intercepted Lapis they found out about the CGs still on Earth and wanted vengeance because it gave them purpose again

Then you could have all the fucking townie episodes you want because there's no fucking ticking clock hanging over everyone's heads.

Plot doesn't explain why after finding about Jasper failing her mission, YD sends incompetent Rubies as reinforcement instead of several Quartzes. That along with Peridot saying recent Gems are made of lesser material strongly suggests the Homeworld Gems have dangerously limited resources.

The plot is just too homeworld gem centric its like Naruto being the story of the eternal butthurt of the Fagchiha clan against the world.

SU needs villains that are gems but have nothing to do with homeworld.

I would preferred if Lapis was a gem cthullu and the reason she was sealed was because she was a threat to everything.

agreed

Nah its plot, if they were low on resources they would have sent quartz because it implies they dont have legions of disposable rubies.

Also HW should remove emotions from Rubies so they actually do things more efficiently.

Speaking of the Gem Empire. Did they ever mention in the show just how big the empire is?

I'm mainly interested in finding out about the empire and if they're the biggest fish in the pond so to speak. Or if there are even other aliens at all in the setting out there somewhere, intelligent or not.

As for the diamonds. When/if they ever come to going up against them I hope they don't talk it out. I understand the whole message about talking shit out but I'd like some more "Sometimes talking does not work" shit as well. I want an actual climax not "Steven talks to them for less than two minutes and then they bubble them self" like the fucking Cluster.

If the gems were the biggest fish THEY WOULD BE FUCKING EVERYWHERE in the Milky Way galaxy but they arent so they are probably a Type II civilization as a whole with interstellar travel capacities.

The Cluster even understanding Steven is plot bullshit, its implied that gems have an alien language so human language is just complete gibberish to them if they dont take the time to learn it.

If there's one flaw that turned the show bad, it's that they forgot that the focus should remain mostly on Steven and his growth as a character

The Homeworld is in another galaxy, however they most likely have colonies reaching as far ours.

>I understand the whole message about talking shit out but I'd like some more "Sometimes talking does not work" shit as well.
It already happened. Around three times maybe.

No

Or at the very least completely forget about Steven and go with Rose & co as the main direction.

>its implied that gems have an alien language so human language is just complete gibberish to them if they dont take the time to learn it.
Only Gem written language can be considered alien. Their spoken language is basically identical to English.

I actually like that a lot.

Remove corrupted gems make them just gem beast, that feed on inorganic material like cities or technology to live that is why they are dangerous to human civilizations.

Then I don't belong here, I'll go make my own thread.

I haven't watched the show in a while. Did they ever pick up the Corrupted Gem plotline again?

Yes.

Would the show be better if Rose was still alive but was just lazy and didnt help out the gems?

Isn't that the case right now?

Maybe YD sent the Rubies because they were more disposable than a Quartz and she was fully expecting the planet to crack open due to the Cluster? Speaking of which, when is she going to send someone to check on it? She seemed so adamant on wanting it but it's past its due date and she doesn't have it. Granted I have not seen the last few episodes.

>Sucrose cant write a plot for shit.
She can't even design a character for shit.

>"Rose's Battle Flag" shows aesthetic similarities to the Confederate Flag.

K E K

E

K

Don't you faggots have a general?

What SU needs is a HUMAN villain

>Get rid of the Fusion=Sex bullshit as well

but it's not
it's just relationships in general
you're taking fanfiction as fact and using it a criticism against the show

it's basically the same idea too.

>SU is bad because it isn't like my japanese animes

It's a cartoon. No fucking shit 80% of the episodes don't have anime fights or huge plot happenings. It's like if you watched eva and complained that there wasn't enough slapstick comedy.

It didn't necessarily need to have that stuff. I was fine with the monster of the week stuff in season 1. I was even fine with stuff like Rose's Scabbard. The difference is the show was good at that time. Not great, but it had potential.

Now, its just endless crying and singing and dull slice of life stuff.

yep. it's peak was exactly this episode, actually. everything after is downhill.

What is kevin

The entire board is a general to these cancerous fags.
Fuck off. I watched it all the way since the premiere of the pilot up until around this episode and I dropped it shortly after. Not everyone fits your little narrative of bullshit.
The issue isn't it isn't enough like anime, its it TRIES to be like anime and falls flat on it's head. If you're never gonna be able to be like something then don't even attempt to look like it. Jasper was introduced as this big bad menacing villain and now she's just a big buffoon who wants to bang blue chick. Blue chick who, btw, is essentially your generic anime gurl with zero backstory and zero personality but looks cute so its enough for SU fags to claim her as their waifu

This show and it's fandom both suck. I don't even know why I make these posts anymore other than the fact I used to be a fan, too, but was severely disappointed when it turned to filler garbage and month long hiatuses killing my interest.

No, it maintained about the same quality.
The issue is it was after this episode people entered the delusion this was a very different show. They all expected that to be the "Shit gets real" moment. But it went back to normal more or less. Then they maintained the formula of introducing a looming threat then resolving it in one or two episodes when they actually square off with it. But they refuse to accept this is the formula and get disappointed every time it maintains that system. It also doesn't help the scheduling is absolute dogshit artificially drawing out anticipation for these "events"
I think he /means something beyond a guy who's villainy is primarily he trolls people. Hell Ronaldo is closer to an actual threat than Kevin ever was. Also Onion.

>peaked early in season 1

It's over, isn't it?

not only that
season 1 are comfuy episodes
shit got stale at season 3.
I think Bismuth is the peak
>Pearl got a lesbian girlfriend
that shit doesn't fit in season 1 or 2 , show went full SJW.

>Pearl got a lesbian girlfriend
>that shit doesn't fit in season 1 or 2 , show went full SJW.

I definitely agree. Pearl ending up with a female character is fine, but introducing some hipster gorilla with the sole purpose of giving Pearl a relationship is transparent as all hell. It's not about what's best for the character, it's about HEY DO YOU SEE THIS LESBIAN ROMANCE GOING ON RIGHT HERE? SEE HOW LESBIAN THEY ARE?

season 1 is the worst season tho

>Pearl having a lesbian girlfriend
>doesn't fit in season 1 or 2
Wasn't there a criticism of constant episodes where Pearl is unable to calm her thirst for giant pink-haired women?

A singular giant pink haired woman, who was an actual character in the show, whose relationship with Pearl was central to her character development.

And what makes you think that the new pink haired woman is Pearl's endgame, and not just a plot device for more Pearl drama and character development?

Because SU isn't about relationship drama, and treats personal connections as permanent. So either it's shoehorned in character that exists purely to be Pearl's squeeze, or it's a terrible one off. Either way, it's an awful injection of what misses the tone and nature of the show by a country mile in an attempt to cram in some checkmark representation.

Also the character is fucking awful, and that just drags everything down.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Even Tumblr is losing interest in this show, after they branded black-coded Bismuth a villain for taking violent action against white supremacy-I mean Homeworld, and having the moral of one episode be "love and accept your relatives who voted for Trump this Thanksgiving."

>and having the moral of one episode be "love and accept your relatives who voted for Trump this Thanksgiving."

I guess I must have stopped watching by the time they did that one. I probably would have remembered that.

Gem Harvest.

Bonus points: this was anticipated as a major game-changing episode for months, but not as much as "Last One Out of Beach City," which is more or less the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of our patience with SU's refusal to advance its storyline.

>Last One Out of Beach City
/sug/'s presumptions about this episode are heartbreakingly hilarious now.
>Yellow Diamond nukes Beach City from orbit with Blumenkranz playing and all the human characters are grimly killed off; SU becomes a space opera with Steven and the Crystal Gems traveling the stars to fight the empire; Steven is aged up into a brawny bear beefcake warrior. Peridot reforms with a naked body so she can easily wear human clothes and clings to Steven's leg.

Source for image please

Golden Bat

Kek

I still find s2 okay although I will never be a fan of the 'turn villain into a comic relief protag' trope, especially since I really liked how Peridot seemed to be threatening while just being some HW no-name drone at the same time.
I really lost some of the interest I had during the last two seasons though. Bismuth was great but the rest of the story seems to go nowhere and the setting feels more like a shounen sitcom mix right now. And while I like some of the human episodes they often feel pretty out of place at the moment.

This. It's why I always hated villains turning good and joining the main team. In the end everyone but the MC maybe becomes unimportant and gets less screentime (like Garnet and Amethyst) and development and the villains lose all their charme and become just other nice guys saved by the power of friendship. The worst thing is that this usually never stops. By that logic Peridot isn't the last gem switching sides, although I hope I'm wrong.

The villain on Lost is the best example of a villain eventually working with the heroes and not losing anything for it. He has the best character arc I've ever seen, too. Sugar should take notes.

>when the Gems finally corner Peridot she makes a big reveal: Homeworld is gone
>turns out after the war ended rebellion spread like wildfire through the Empire
>the remaining Diamonds were deposed, but the Gems that took their place didn't know what the fuck they were doing
The great thing is that this is even more or less realistic. It's what rebellions usually do - spreading and people who don't know shit try ruling an empire. I am also a sucker for this trope when characters didn't realize how much things they once knew well have changed over the passage of time.

Man I miss tall Peridot...