Any thoughts on The Orville? I usually can't stand Mcfarlene, but I really enjoy it...

Any thoughts on The Orville? I usually can't stand Mcfarlene, but I really enjoy it. Good bland of comedy and sci-fi that actually hits a tone that hasn't been seen in a while.

Why are critics shitting on it so bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/icMy38Xdnk4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Working overtime after DISC's successful premiere, I see, FOX shills.

>Implying

Just saw it and like it. Didn't see a thread for it. Fight me, faggot.

>I usually cant stand diarrhea but I really enjoy drinking it by the gallons now.
sure you do. fucking liar.

What don't you like about it?

>disc
It's STD, and surprisingly, the show isn't going viral.

>Good bland

not a bad discription desu

It's shit. Mcfarlane is shit.

It's DIS, just like ENT and VOY. Good try tho.

DISgusting ha ha

>I actually liked it
Stop reading from the script shill

>tfw unironically like it but with the rate it's going I wouldn't be surprised it gets cancelled
It hurts.

there's no "love" that's gone into this, so I don't know why you think that any critic would warm up to it. It's not like it unwatchable but there's nothing endearing here.

I don't think your spinal cord touches your brain. There is love in nearly every frame of this show, every line of dialogue, every character design. If you can't see that, you are dead inside.

It's awful. It's an unwatchable fanfiction that has very few good jokes, even worse writing, and incredibly dated tropes that rightfully died in the 00s.

Really sad that Orville is more Star Trek than STD

>Why are critics shitting on it so bad?
>bland
Because its boring.
Literally the same week there was a Rick and Morty episode which put there whole episode into less than 5 minutes.

Star Trek is good. There is no modern equivalent. Please stop misleading people.

The characters all seem pretty bland, the lore itself seems to exist mostly for clever one-liners. Like the human zoo episode. Okay, it's been done before, but that doesn't mean they couldn't do a new take on it. But they didn't, Seth does some Seth jokes, the funny robot does some funny robot jokes. All the interesting alien cultures and things are just a back drop for a sitcom.

>lol remember i was so high
>xD that was so funny

There's no sense of exploration, mystery, politics, intrigue. It's just, robot does funny robot jokes, Seth is free, what's-her-name gains some confidence. Which is fine, another network sitcom. If that's your thing, go for it. But I'm not seeing the love, either.

6/10 better than STD obviously but still has a literal cuck for a main character

oville is good, seth is a good singer get over it

youtu.be/icMy38Xdnk4

next episode looks good

>Seth and wife cheating on him but he comes back to her trope

>Transgender centric 3rd episode

Completely fucking dropped.

The only TV show I care about every week since it debuted.
I missed this kind of show.

you could bottle up your tears... and sell it as fag juice
lmao

They were expecting Family Guy in space, and what they got was Seth's self-insert star trek fanfiction he's waited his entire career to be allowed to make.

It's so childish I don't know how anyone over the age of 16 can enjoy it. Next you're going to tell me the court room scene was smart.

t. 17 year old

hawt

This guy literally walks through life seeing shitty Sup Forums memes everywhere.

I thought it was pretty terrible, but then I watched Star Trek Discovery, and it's great by comparison.

They're both fine, don't pretend otherwise

One is a soap opera, the other is a melodrama, but they're the samething - not quite TNG

>its a gender reassignment surgery and circumcision debate episode

Which one is the asian?

>This is the show Sup Forums is defending
The fucking state of this board

>webm
Well it's about time. Nice work.

That was made within an hour of it airing, not by me

Is the big guy suppose to be a nerd, not a fighter?

It's classic Trek for the Trekkies while STD is for nuTrek fans. I don't expect this show to last more than two seasons though, sadly because most mainstream fans of Seth won't "get it".

No, her species just has super strength

The transgender episode was actually really good, I'm sure you just think everything that broaches that topic is SJW bullshit. Even TNG had a trans episode and that was way more hamfisted.

So what is the point of him suppose to be?

They're both pretty shit. For fairly different reasons.

its fine, and the "politics" are super kid gloves stuff/ id prefer no politics but I understand seth may want to do it since star trek always tackles political issues

commander tell me about your sexual organs

>Good bland of comedy
>bland

Freudian slip. The show is pretty fuckin bland.

Like I said, that shit could have been handled way better, they dropped the ball.

She can beat him a fight, so by extension his kid being a girl isn't a disadvantage

The episode put forth arguments for and against making the kid a boy and both sides were made to sound retarded.

Good episode, better than the pilot

hes on officer on the ship, so i assume to do officer things

>Jonathan Frakes wanted to kiss a man for this episode but Gene said no fucking way

That episode comes across totally differently today. It's the struggle to be allowed to just be one gender in a world where simply not being LGBTQIAAP+ is a hate crime

looks like literally ever low budget cable/network sci fi show ever. whats the problem specifically?

Star trek only got good when Gene kicked it

I didn't purge Xeno for this shit

>implying Archer wasn't up for a bit of manly fun

If written for The Orville it would be
"dude, tell me about your junk"

it's comfy

and it would be hilarious

>The fucking state of this board
You think that's bad? We just had a James Franco is "based" thread this morning that got over 200 posts

If you're a complete manchild, sure.

I saw these threads here and decided to pirate it, it looks really boring. There's basically no jokes, no likeable characters, nothing interesting, no real plot. I don't get it, it's not like it's BAD bad, but it's totally unwatchable for me.

There's that word again.

Third episode was so fucking terrible it made me drop an otherwise alright show.

>drop a show after one bad episode

Clearly you never watched Star Trek.

Star Trek is ambitious. Orville is bland and shit in every way.

Just because good shows have bad episodes do not mean that I should keep watching a mediocre show when it has a stillborn episode.

I'd pit episode 3 of Orville against the worst episode of any much, much longer running show and the Orville will take the shit cake every time

STD is so much more fitting though.

ORV ep 3 absolutely was not worse than Code of Honor

critics are nearly all hard left ideologues, or employed by hard left ideologues
this is seen as competition for discovery
discovery represents a win for DIVERSITY and REPRESENTATION for critics
do the math

Already the third best Trek series.

For all of you haters, please understand that DSC (not STD, you oh-so-clever TROLLS) is the closest thing we've seen to fulfilling Roddenberry's vision for the future, and the greatest cinematic achievement Star Trek has ever produced. First off, the bridge is no longer a boy's club, where women are relegated to being eye candy and answering phones. They are strong, have differing opinions, and are willing to take REAL ACTION. The fact that an Asian woman and a STRONG BLACK WOMAN are in positions of power attests to the progress that humans have made in the future. They aren't anyone's bitch, even each others.

The aliens represent real world political issues, like the alien Saru, who shows that even members of a former slave race can become strong members of society, and move beyond being prey for dominant powers. The Klingons are no longer thinly veiled "others' and represent a real faction of American society that is too afraid of change to move beyond their archaic traditions.

The visuals were gorgeous. The lighting was moody and added a dynamic and tense atmosphere that highlighted the show's central tensions, as well as mirroring the blackness of space. Not like the garish colors and overly bright sets of prior Trek shows like TOS and TNG that looked like they were filmed in an open field with the midday sun shining directly overhead. The experimental angles helped contrast the detailed sets and futuristic tech with the primitive and current tensions between the crew of the USS Shenzhou. And FINALLY, we have sci-fi tech that ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE SCI-FI TECH and not some cheesy wooden props that look like repainted furniture someone found at a flea market.

Trek has finally entered the realm of true art, and no amount of racist, reactionary vitriol can change the great accomplishments we've already seen from this show.

>please understand that DSC (not STD, you oh-so-clever TROLLS) is the closest thing we've seen to fulfilling Roddenberry's vision for the future
if you're gonna bait, don't start so strong, you want people to actually read your wall of text, unless you're trying to satirize baiters I guess

Is this new pasta, or bait?

Are they the same species? Seems like a faulty argument if her race is just far stronger naturally.

>Code of Honor
Much worse.

>Race of all males have a female child
>They want to have a corrective surgery done so the child won't be shunned by society
>Everybody judges this based on their own race, ignoring that the child would literally be spurned by its entire race
>They go to court over it and the prosecution points this out over and over
>Their counterarguments are "Well a female of this incredibly strong race is stronger than the males of your race so therefor women are super strong" and other retarded idea
>Captain pulls an idea out of his ass to scan the entire planet for females, something no other person has ever thought of doing
>Finds a woman hiding in the mountains alone
>They bring her to court to testify that her living alone in the mountains was a GREAT life to live, as the only option available to her
>She reveals she somehow, from the fucking mountains, got published and was an accomplished author
>This makes the judge decide sure, this baby girl could have a good life, as long as she hides from her own people forever.

Fucking. Awful.

Good advice, you must be a master baiter.

that's the exact same argument the alien lawyer used to destroy her in the court scene. Pointed out that yes she's stronger because her species has super strength, but a male of her species would still be stronger than her.

No, the female comes from a species that is significantly stronger in general. It is one of many baseless points that get argued and that people begrudgingly accept despite, you know, logic.

If it means trannies feel the need to exile themselves from society, then I'm all for it.

A show can just be bad, man, it's ok.

it's purposefully a faulty argument, it doesn't convince bortus, and when uses again, it doesn't convince the moclan jury which sets up the next story beat

Why the fuck did she even use that argument? It was flawed from the get-go.

I think the point of the episode was "Don't force others to conform to your gender stereotypes." This was accomplished by having a bunch of outsiders roll in and force others to conform to their gender stereotypes.

>>This makes the judge decide sure, this baby girl could have a good life, as long as she hides from her own people forever.
But that's literally the opposite of what happened. Why are you lying on the internet?

The first officer outright stated she wasn't a space lawyer. She was doing the best with what she had

because she had essentially nothing to argue and was pulling anything out of her ass, which is why mercer had to go find a trump card

Because they had no real arguments.

Instead, they scanned the planet for a woman, found one, and she happened to be a famous writer despite being a hermit.

>critics are nearly all hard left ideologues
>people employed in a field that requires a degree
>a degree focusing on the ability to grasp and assess abstract concepts in a substantive manner
Gee, I wonder why critics would be more likely to be hard left. Really gets my pasta boiling.

Its the logical result of the "ruling". You think their whole society will now change? No, she's an outcast forever.

Is that considered an asspull by the writers?

It would have been an asspull if the woman being their famous revered author had swayed the court into letting the kid stay female.

As it stands it ended up not mattering, because one exception doesn't change the rule. Which was nice

Because she is not competent enough for that process. And it was pointed in the very beginning.

Wait, so how did they not discover a women on their planet if the crew found her easily?

Why would an all-male species have scanners to detect females?

Because females shouldn't exist on their planet.

who cares about some outcast living in the mountain? they had a female born every 75 years so its not like its incredibly rare. the big reveal was that she was a famous writer.

It is certainly deus ex machina. And sure, lots of shows and movies use it.

And its always bad.

she was trying to argue the women can do things just as well as men even if it isn't the exact same things.

Also that knowledge and shit varies between person to person and that sex has nothing to do with it.

She tried her best but as she said herself she only took like a year of space jew

no great overarching story, no purpose. Just cheap sitcom tier jokes. It's not terrible but there is nothing tying me to this show, whatosever. I have zero emotional investment with this fake toy starfleet with actors playing starfleet officers, fake stories made up for comedic effect and resolutions made for comedic effect ("hey lol, ill kill a spaceship with a tree! LMAO!")

McFarlane made a huge mistake in the direction of this show, he doesnt undestand that sci-fi fans are an entirely different animal than comedy fans. We want to immerse ourselves whereas comedy fans could watch 5min clips on youtube that are storywise completely unrelated.

This is evidenced by his amateurish idea that simply putting a crew into a starship would be enough to interest us: It's not, neither are the CGI effects.
What has always drawn us sci-fi nerds to Star Trek was the possibility of immersing ourselves into a story that was believable in another universe, to experience and apply heroism to a situation that seems maybe unlikely today but maybe likely one day. So the fact that McFarlane thinks he can capture the imagination of us with his cheap jokes and CGI is not just wrong, it's offensive.