Batwoman Rebirth First Look

>At the start of 2017, Batwoman will face new challenges, new enemies, and a new beginning. In Detective Comics #948 and #949, series writer James Tynion IV will team up with Marguerite Bennett and artist Ben Oliver for a special “Batwoman Begins” interlude arc. This arc will see Batwoman investigating a secret base A.R.G.U.S. has created in the wake of the “Night of the Monster Men” event. This base is centered “around the corpse of the megamonster that collapsed in Gotham Harbor…creating Gotham City’s newest and most dangerous neighborhood, Monstertown!”

>This storyline will lead into Batwoman, a new regular series centered around Kate Kane’s superheroic journey. Her Rebirth begins on February 15th.

>BATWOMAN: REBIRTH #1

>Written by: Marguerite Bennett and James Tynion IV

>Art by: Ben Oliver and Steve Epting

>Cover by: Steve Epting

>The newest chapter of Batwoman’s life begins here! Monster Venom is the hottest new bioweapon on the market…and to break up the syndicate spreading it around the world, Batwoman’s going to have to return to the place where she spent some of her darkest hours! Learn where Batwoman comes from, and where she’s going, in this one-shot prologue to the first big Batwoman epic, “The Many Arms Of Death”!

>BATWOMAN #1

>Written by: Marguerite Bennett and James Tynion IV

>Art & Cover by: Steve Epting

>“THE MANY ARMS OF DEATH” part one! At last—Batwoman is back in her own ongoing series! On the island nation of Coryana, anything goes for members of the criminal underworld…and during her lost years after being drummed out of the military, Kate Kane found a kind of refuge there. But now, a deadly new bioweapon is available in the markets of Coryana, and Batwoman will have to face up to the things she did in those days…and the people she left behind, some of whom would be happier to see her dead than alive!

>DETECTIVE COMICS #948 & #949

>Written by: James Tynion IV, Marguerite Bennett

>Art & Cover by: Ben Oliver

>Letters: Marilyn Patrizio

>“BATWOMAN BEGINS” parts one and two! This special two-part interlude spotlights team leader Batwoman! In the wake of the “Night of the Monster Men,” A.R.G.U.S. has built a secret research city around the corpse of the megamonster that collapsed in Gotham Harbor…creating Gotham City’s newest and most dangerous neighborhood, Monstertown!

>Art by: Ben Oliver and Steve Epting. Nice

Is any of those black chicks Alfred's daughter?

Looking foward to this, mostly for the art but I have the faith that Bennett can write a good Kate

>In issue #948, Batman and Batwoman need to get in there to find out who’s been weaponizing monster blood—but who will they have to fight through to do it?

>In #949, the mission faces a deadly complication—the Colony wants Jacob Kane back, and they’ll kill to set him free!

I miss when Kate's dad was a supporting of her, and really a good character and not the villain that now we have.

Shit, that's some nice art. Beats couple of really wonky pages Tec had.

That """"twist"""" made me drop Tynion's comic pretty quick.

>oh boy can't wait for another character to steal some of Batman's gimmicks again

But why do I bother, this place will cheer for any derivative character as long as it damages Batman's books

I don't know Marguerite Bennett.
Should I be afraid that she wrote a SJW story instead of a real story?
I bought the book when rucka wrote it and I liked it.

Bennett can be very hit and miss.

But generally speaking people who sucked at Marvel tend to be much better at DC. And considering that DC editorial has managed to pull decent to good books out of Dogfucker and Lobdell with Rebirth, I feel fairly confident that this book at worst will be kinda mediocre rather than outright awful.

Interview sounded fairly promising, too.

this is weird coloring

>Should I be afraid that she wrote a SJW story instead of a real story?

That's only Marvel, with DC she wrote Injustice Year Two Annual, DC Bombshells, and other titles

>I have the faith that Bennett can write a good Kate
>having faith with the worst writer of the Big 2
Fucking what? Even BENDIS has a better track record than Bennett.

DC tends to keep their guys on a leash better than Marvel. Bennett has had good success on their Bombshells line.

Remember Angela, Queen of Hel and opinions about Israel?
DC side, she wrote Bombshells which had couple of SJW issues. Maybe you were in thread about Two-Face's candidature for major or something?

She writes Bombshells for DC. It is what it is, same with her Josie and the Pussycats - it's for a particular crowd and indulgent and I guess they enjoy it. Animosity is pretty good. Angela was awful. Insexts is too timid.

I think Bennett is probably a good writer with strong editorial on her, as distinguished from e.g. Kate Leth who is unforgivably boring beyond anything else.

>But generally speaking people who sucked at Marvel tend to be much better at D
Except Bennett was fucking awful at DC before she went to Marvel. In fact, her Earth-2 and Joker's Daughter were somehow even worse than her Angela and her Angela was among the worst comics I've ever read.

>Even BENDIS has a better track record than Bennett.

That's not fair since Bendis have been in the industy for a good decade and Bennett is like new blood

>Should I be afraid that she wrote a SJW story instead of a real story?
You know that "UNSOLICITED OPINIONS ON ISRAEL ?????" panel? Yeah, that's her.

The one with short hair is Julia.

Her Bombshells and Joker's Daughter things were the only things she's done at DC and they're both awful.

>“around the corpse of the megamonster that collapsed in Gotham Harbor…creating Gotham City’s newest and most dangerous neighborhood, Monstertown!”
Bennett is a red flag but I'd be lying if I said this premise doesn't sound awesome

Whoops forgot she wrote some Earth 2 stuff and everything after Robinson and especially after Taylor left were fucking awful, that weekly included

It sounds like someone watched Pacific Rim recently.

>The one with short hair is Julia.
In suit? Shit, nigga. She'll start butlering, as well.

This is Alfred's daughter and Onyx?

>Her Bombshells and Joker's Daughter things were the only things she's done at DC and they're both awful.
That's not true, she also co-wrote Earth-2: World's End and she was the person that created Nubo. Both of which were among the worst things to come out of DC since the New 52 started.

is that supposed to be a bad thing?

I thought Bombshells was well liked?

And that Earth-2 shit was such a disaster I don't think you can blame the writers

CW2 is Minority Report with a bad writer so yeah, taking a good thing from another media and slapping a shitty comic writer on it will make it terrible.

>And that Earth-2 shit was such a disaster I don't think you can blame the writers
I think it's completely fair to blame everyone involved

Sup Forums only tolerates Bombshells because of waifus and sex appeal and also because nobody here reads it.
It's easily the most SJW thing out today so it amuses me that Sup Forums just kinda lets it slide by while slamming lesser offenses.

shit, you got me there

so this means Batman will not be allowed to face monster stuff now since that's Batwoman niche

just like he stopped having supernatural stuff when she was active

I guess I mean blame her in that she was hired to fix the unfixable? i don't know how much of a reflection of her talent it is, especially when she does have a decent amount of work to point at.

I've dropped it recently. I've seen glaciers move faster than plot of Bombshells.
I still think she killed Stargirl to spite Johns because he gave WW to Rucka.

The work she put out for it was garbage, I don't know why it's illogical to blame her for it even if the editors were a big part of the problem

She didn't make the best of a bad situation she just put out more bad work

Abnett on Earth-2 Society is an example of trying to fix the unfixable

Bennett is just Bennett

Good comics written by Bennett:
>

OK comics written by Bennett:
>Josie and the Pussycats
>Insexts
>Red Sonja
>Bombshells

Fucking horrible comics written by Bennett:
>Joker's Daughter
>Earth-2: World's End
>Angela: Queen of Hel
>New 52 Lobo
>X-men: Years of Future Past

Everyone going "w-well, she's working for DC now instead of Marvel so obviously she'll be good like Humphries" seem to be ignoring that she's a graduate from Snyder's comic class and only got a foothold into the industry thanks to DC, and most of her truly awful comics she put out AT DC. If you go in expecting this to be anything but a dumpster fire then you're going to be severely disappointed.

Sure, maybe it'll turn out to be good, but having hope/faith that it will be just because it has a big fat DC logo on it is ignoring every DC comic she's written besides Bombshells.

i guess my point is there's stuff more "pure" bennet and a clusterfuck of an event isn't a thing to point to that she's a bad writer imo

Suddenly incest.

That's fair and you're right it's not a good idea to judge a writer solely by their worst work

I am not really a fan of much of her other work either though

Insexts is terrible
Put Animosity in its place

Thank for all your answer guys about Benett.
So it will be hit or miss.

probably, though I'd argue there's some anti-woman bias towards Bennet. Sup Forums puts writers at Extremes.

we need to fix the Jurgens scale to be useful

I'm really glad Monstermen isnt gonna have lasting repercussions in Gotham, it happens too often where everybody just kinda gets over it like with Mr Bloom or Zero year, its nice that they're adding this whole Monster Town and Monster Venom thing.

I didnt care for Monstermen too much though

Jokers Daughter was bad? I kinda like it, although it was one of the first comics I read so i have some rose tinted goggles

what was wrong with it?

I swear to god that every Batwoman run looks like the same shiiiiiit.

And I bet that after all these years she doesn't have an obvious main enemy or rogues gallery

why is she always so PALE though

Man, too bad they're wasting Ben Oliver on fucking Bennett...

I thought Steve Epting was drawing this? why did i think that

To be fair, writer became extreme.
Bendis: No Iceman must be gay, not bisexual
Spencer: Everyone who don't agree is a nazi
So /co became extreme.

What is the jurgens scale? I liked Death dan return of Superman and the recent Lois and Clark.

He's drawing the Batwoman ongoing. The two issues of Detective Comics are drawn by Oliver.

>Bennett

At least this character gets a writer she deserves. No idea how she keeps pulling great artists, though.

The last 15 or so issues of her ongoing had shitty art

if you're talking about the movie Minority Report then they took a bad thing and turned it into an even worse one.

godfuckingdamnit that was so bad.

They ruined her out-of-costume look, main supporting character, and entire MO.

What better time for a new ongoing, right?

Is Batwoman still a vampire? I kind of lost interest for some time and am only now coming back into it

They're ignoring that shitty run

Nah, that fucking terrible run was instantly forgotten.
The fuck was Andreyko thinking?

Although she and Maggie stayed split up, and Maggie went back to Metropolis.

Why so salty

Daily reminder that New52 Batwoman was the best traditional superhero comic in the whole line and is one of the biggest casualties of DC's continued incompetence and suffocation of one of the most vibrant fictional universes ever.

It was a book with mediocre writing and great art, a la Manabooch Flash.

If that's the best New 52 could do, then new 52 deserved to be nuked.

The writing really wasn't that great.

The issues Williams also drew were a goddamned delight, though.

>so obviously she'll be good like Humphries"
Here's your problem. Low standard. Green Lantern ain't good, it's sometimes average, often mediocre.

But it's FUN, that means it's GOOD

FUck

it kinda does, user

So she is no longer wearing a wig? Good

The writing was basically the pinnacle of your average superhero comic. The story, plotting, characterization, and supporting cast were all top notch. It's not the flashiest writing in the world, but it's far better than you and most people give it credit for.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Rucka/Williams run of Detective Comics that preceded the ongoing?

>supporting cast were all top notch
maggie was a piece of stale white bread

Yes I'm 100% sure. You ever read Chase?

amen brother, just a bad bit of overthinking to justify long hair in the original Ross design

The Batwoman ongoing was no Chase, man.

it's a joke on Sup Forums about how Dan Jurgen's comics are consistently perfectly mediocre. They aren't bad, they aren't good, they're just 22 pages of superheroes. dude has been in the industry forever and he can crank it out.
He's the center of the scale, the 0.

the characterization and supporting cast were pretty awful, but the plotting and stuff was mostly pretty okay. Kate's every day life was handled poorly but the Batwoman stuff with the DEO were cool. And yeah, god tier art from Williams but the fill ins weren't bad either.

Chase was not a traditional superhero comic though. The point is that Williams has some creative chops in the non-art side of things too (And before you say anything I'm aware Dan Curtis Johnson got primary writing credit).

I'm not saying he can't write, it's just that the writing of Batwoman was just okay, and if not for his art nobody would have cared much about the book.

Williams is a better writer than people give him credit for. His Batman story from LoTDK was good too. And Rucka said they basically co-wrote Elegy. Blackman though...guy's a hack.

The plotting was way above pretty okay, it was tightly woven and incrementally ratcheted up to perfection. The fact that the build up never saw a payoff is still a crime. And I have no idea how you think the characterization and supporting cast were awful, Williams did an excellent job carving out a unique world for Kate in no small part due to the cast that inhabited it.

Payoff shmayof. They were planing on leaving in two issues anyway. And they did a piss poor job on characterization and their wedding shit was obviously brownie point hunting with the LGBT crowd because it felt like something out of a soap. I legitimately enjoyed the first arc and the Wonder Woman arc, the rest only had okay writing.

The confrontation with Batman and Kate's divided loyalties are literally built up from the first issue onward. A planned twenty-five issues of over-arching story that escalated nearly perfectly. You don't know what you are talking about.

I'm not saying that the writing is the part of the book that shines the brightest, but in terms of traditional comic book writing the way it serves the overall story and characters (and art) is excellent. It's the best "average" superhero writing to come from the post-Flashpoint hell and is what the actual standard should be.

You just seem really impressed with the longer storytelling, regardless of quality.

Writing like that used to be the industry standard, and still isn't as uncommon as you'd think.

No, I'm saying that the longer storytelling was expertly done, and although the writing didn't push any boundaries it did everything right. I appreciate the condescension though. Please point me towards one other traditional DC book post Flashpoint that attempted to tell a 25 issue overarching story.

Well, yeah, it's enjoyable dumb fun, which is the bar that a cape comic needs to clear to justify its existence.

The bob is back

Hell yeah

They made her dad a villain? Fucking christ. I was excited to start following a new Batwoman ongoing, but apparently they've fucked it up right out of the gate.

Dare I ask why he's a villain now?

When will Kate have awkward and messy sex with her cousin Bruce as an experiment?

definitely best haircut for Kate

Is her best look.