Which Pennywise was better?

Which Pennywise was better?

Obviously Curry's performance is legendary but I think Pennywise wasn't used that well in the 1990 movie. Pennywise in the new movie works far better in it and also with a very good performance.

What do you guys think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zr32uXnxM24
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The problem i have with Pennywise in all three versions is that he's not really a danger while the power of friendship is there

Curry played a better antagonist, whilst Skarsgard played a better monster. If that makes sense.

Skarsgard's voice is too young and weak sounding compared to Curry's

That's like saying the bad guy isn't really a danger while the power of being the protagonist is there.

Tim Curry played more of a supernatural clown
Skarsgard played a monster hiding behind a clowns persona
I preferred Skarsgard

Agreed.

I mean it doesn't have to be that way

Look at a lot of Lovecraft stories and the protagonists go insane or they commit suicide

Curry was a fucking joy.

Skarsgard was just playing a fitting role in a shit film. Curry played a completely ridiculous role in a tv miniseries that didn't know wtf it was doing for "horror". One performance stands out and the other just fades away.

I just wanna know who came up with Pennywise drooling. I don't know if I liked it or not but it really stood out to me. Like a hungry dog smelling bacon.

So you're upset because everyone didn't kill themselves?
Projecting much

Old one = pedophile killer clown.
New one = unnatural monster with a clown skin.

Liked the new a bit more.

>Look at a lot of Lovecraft stories and the protagonists go insane or they commit suicide

wtf does that have to do with anything? just because king stole some lovecraftian qualities for pennywise doesn't mean it's a fucking lovecraftian story.

Excuse me

The fake teeth Skarsgard wore made him drool quite a bit so he went with it

nuPennywise looks too much like Syndrome from the Incredibles to be scary to me.

All i'm saying is that if protagonists are invulnerable the story loses a lot of excitement

Not every ending has to be "the protagonists kill the million years evil thing without bodily definition and it also makes a million mistakes so the story works"

I'd give it to Curry, but only because I like that there was more scenes with Pennywise directly taunting the kids and being a motherfucker in the 1990 version. Skarsgard just stood around very menacingly and occasionally drooled. He was really good at it, but it's not as memorable as Curry's performance. I always look forward to Pennywise showing up in the Curry version, but Skarsgard's Pennywise just kind of feels like an annoyance that the kids need to beat up.

The new movie is far superior overall,
though.

Cool. Thanks.

>cannot be unseen

Well, desu it's quite ridiculous that this ancient alien entity from beyond space and time is suddenly defeated by the power of friendship like a fucking japanese cartoon
Then again, why would it even bother eating children and humans? Certainly it did not have any of that before the turtle puked the universe into being or whatever coked King wrote as the creation

I dunno man

It was beaten by the power of mind. Overcoming fear. Friendship only helped them the same way people feel stronger or less vulnerable when they are part of a group. Friendship was the means to an end.

I think that old version was better as a character. It was fun to watch as he was enjoying himself while mocking the kids for shit and giggles. He was more human, you could even relate to him.
The new one is a different story. Not a person, but something more abstract. It went much better with that "Pennywise is an embodiment of bad traits of people who live in this city". Something like a force of nature, a primal evil. Also made the movie much scarier.

I like them both.

That makes it pretty weak if it can be beated by confidence, no?

What if theres just some delusional madman there and the thing can't even kill him because he thinks he's stronger than IT?

Pennywise eats fear not children, silly

Bill's performance was pretty cringe and he does not have the voice to really make it sound anything other than corny and out of place.

Tim Curry is a world class character actor who knows how to play pretty much anything which is why his portrayal of Pennywise is so loved.

I liked both. New it was more haha scary akin to Freddy kreuger. Old it was more creepy evil uncomfortable scary.

10/10 reply

>That makes it pretty weak if it can be beated by confidence, no?

It can't be beaten by that alone in the books, Maturin and later Gan have to help the kids/adults out in shielding them. Even if some crazy asshole thought he was beyond IT, IT could just eat him anyway, the madman just wouldn't sustain his metaphysical side, only his physical manifestation.

>Maturin and later Gan
Is this a dark tower thing

Maturin was directly named and explained in IT, including his subsequent death in the future. But Gan was only hinted at and called 'the other' and another entity helping the adults in Maturin's place before being confirmed in Dark Tower for what he really was.

I guess i should read King in a specific order or something

It does. New Pennywise successfully appeared like a monster barely pretending to be a human.

>Which Pennywise was better?
Obviously the new one with better effects can pull off the Eldritch powers a lot better, and as a result the final battle is a ton more fun and interesting to watch than the original version.

Skarsgård is obviously more deranged and unhinged which help him feel like an outsider, but as a result he completely loses a lot of the point of being a clown. He's supposed to be unsettling with how much he sticks out, able to turn even a strange situation like being in a storm drain into a fun chat with a boy. Skarsgård would make any kid shit their pants when they saw the buck teeth alone. They went another direction but in the end it was obviously an effective change.

But overall, OG Pennywise is from an actor with a voice perfect for the role, his look is iconic in a multitude of ways, and he was obviously terrifying enough to leave a lasting impression years later. Curry withstood the test of time, we'll have to see if Skaramouche can do the same.

Wait why. I just said IT, the book, explained what Maturin was and how he played a role in protecting the kids, and then they hinted at something bigger in the adult section of the book without spelling out what it was, but if you paid attention in the IT introspection chapters you should be able to put together what that bigger thing is. The story is complete even if you never read another King book.

The specific order is page 1 till page when it says it's over.

Yeah pretty much this

>better effects
You mean the fake as fuck looking CGI?

>they hinted at something bigger in the adult section of the book without spelling out what it was, but if you paid attention in the IT introspection chapters you should be able to put together what that bigger thing is

What is it fucker

youtube.com/watch?v=zr32uXnxM24

how would nuWise handle this scene

New one is automatically better due to bigger budget and no technical limitations.

>bigger budget and no technical limitations
This is your argument? If that were the case then superhero movies would be the greatest films ever created.

>What is it fucker

Are you fucking serious right now.

>Physical performance: Skarsgard
>Writing: Skarsgard
>Voice: Curry
>Costume: Curry

If nuPennywise looked more like a normal clown and not an obviously evil Victorian-era devil that nobody would ever approach in real life I would say he's better but it's up in the air for me

>Physical performance: Skarsgard

What physical performance? The fag just stands and smiles most of the fucking movie.

>what physical performance
The weird way he bends himself to stand up or roll around? The drooling? The lazy eyes?
>he just stands around the whole movie
So did Curry though

WA HA WA HA WA HA

>If nuPennywise looked more like a normal clown and not an obviously evil Victorian-era devil that nobody would ever approach in real life
Fun fact: in the novel, Pennywise is -literally- described as looking just like his depiction in the film, with various elements from various eras seemingly thrown in willy-nilly into his costume, making him look disturbingly out of place and just downright unnerving. Its supposed to show that IT doesn't- really- understand how to mimic a clown properly, and has just thrown various bits and pieces together to see what works.

Fuck off retard

>being this asshurt over nothing

Compared to the old IT obviously.

Curry and it's barely close

It fits the baby face they were going for.