Batman Begins > The Dark Knight

Batman Begins was generally more well thought out, well constructed and enjoyable than The Dark Knight.
To me, both the suit, the voice and general style of Batman in Batman begins was way better than the way he was represented in The Dark Knight.
Begins is overshadowed by the sequel, but is actually a very well balanced and constructed origin story. It has an appropriate amount of levity combined with genuinely threatening villains rather than ham-fisted edgelords.
On the subject of the voice, batman begins nailed it, and almost went a bit too far. He had the whole vocal concealing going quite nicely, and it was believable that people wouldn't recognize him as Bruce.
On the suit, I think it was great. It was sleek, modern and slightly tactical, but also had a sense of beastly power, especially in the bulkier torso and cowl area. This fits in nicely with the main theme of fear, and being more of a symbol than just a man/soldier.

Cont. on next post

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/V6jM1zUJi5Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Then we have The Dark Knight. I think it had a solid story and performances, especially from Ledger, but a lot of it doesn't hold up as a well-constructed Capeshit to me. The attempts made at making more of a philosophical story fell flat to a degree.
The character of Batman is reduced to a roaring idiot just so they can try to show how smart and edgy the Joker is. If you have to twist a character to show how intelligent the other one is, that's a problem. The voice is another part of this, as they made the bizarre decision to go even further with the growling dialogue, which just sounded ridiculous at that point.
Then there's the suit. I appreciate the tactical complexity, but the element of fear, and the primal feel of an imposing symbol is almost all gone. It's basically a military suit with a cape, a mask and a symbol thrown on the front. It doesn't feel distinctly like it's supposed to be batman.
The soundtrack was also better, Gotham was more distinct and filthy, and although excessively filtered at times, the Colour palette was a lot more interesting in Begins.

What are your thoughts?

Jesus Christ
How can people look at pictures like this and think that Bale's Batman would ever stand a chance against Affleck's

From my point of view, BB is the best Batman movie, TDK is more of a Joker movie.

I agree with you 100%, not memeing or nothing

It's not about fictional who would win type fights, I was just talking about objective film quality.
Obviously Affleck's would win, but it's a different film and a different universe. They've all had their own interpretations of the character.

Same. I think they were both very good movies, but Batman Begins works very well as an individual character arc for Bruce/Batman.

Batman Begins is a good Batman movie with a mediocre, rushed ending.
The Dark Knight is a great Heath Ledger performance wrapped in a mediocre movie about Batman and Two-Face.

I was going to touch upon that.
The ending is very generic, with the whole "we have to stop this thing from reaching the other thing before it releases the really bad thing".
My other problem with the movie is that the fighting looked really bad. The first sequence was awful, but they were going for the whole secrecy thing. The problem was that it didn't improve. Regardless, I still preferred it as a whole.

I agree with your choice user. The biggest problem for me in The Dark Knight was the character of Rachel. Katie Holmes played her much more subtler and likable then Maggie Gyllenhaal. Maggie went full: "Hey Aaron Eckhart, I love when mafia is trying to blow your brains! That's so sexy!"

>Gotham was more distinct and filthy, and although excessively filtered at times, the Colour palette was a lot more interesting in Begins.

I missed this. Gotham felt pretty distinct and then it just felt like Chicago in the sequels.

It probably looks autistic that I'm replying to every single post but fuck it
This. Katie Holmes may have been a below average actress, but she played the role more like an actual person would, and was far more likeable/attractive.

Then there's Maggie, who's acting I have basically always hated. She's always smug/bitchy and it never fits within the context. It feels like whenever you hear someone lying and the tone of their voice changes, but she is constantly talking in that tone.

Why did my entire post get spoilered?

Yeah. Maggie was a bad choice. I loved her in Donie Darko and Stranger then Fiction. But she was miscast. But than again, the role of Rachel was way different than in BB. Nolan fucked that up.

I forgot to mention Stranger Than fiction. Ironically enough, that is the only movie where I ever liked Will Ferrell, and it's also the only movie where I ever liked Maggie Gyllenhaal. One of my top 50 actually I'd say. The thing is that a lot of people see actresses/actors in bad roles and instantly blame them because they're the most frontal section of a movie. Despite the fact that I don't like Maggie that much, It's still not mostly her fault that her character was that way.

Batman Begins benefits by not jamming so much into it. The Dark Knight had that problem. Nolan had to compensate running time with so many montages and with dialogue to only advance the plot. It was worse in DK Rises.

Try Winter Passing. That's a good film with Will Ferrell. It also has Ed Harris and Zooey Deschanel. I think you'd like it.

Looks interesting. I might try it.

even the great patrice o neal agrees with you:
youtu.be/V6jM1zUJi5Q

Fucking finally.

Those movies were thoroughly mediocre, Christopher Nolan is a hack. Great performance from Heath Ledger, high budgets all around, excellent scoring, mediocre writing, flat and uninspiring Batman.

>From my point of view, BB is the best Batman movie

Not exactly what I was saying but a very valid observation nonetheless.

he's actually right. joker was the best part of tdk and he dominated the movie, batman took a secondary role along with two face.

bb was all batman and solid movie w/out relying on joker charisma overpowering everything.

because you're a spoiled bitch

fire

I almost fucked outta there when he was saying returns was the best.
Nice.

Begins' third act takes a fucking nosedive.

Yep, it went south really quick after they established the whole train thing.

The only thing Begins has over Knight is that Gotham looks like Gotham. Literally everything else is better in Knight, from the action to the acting.

I disagree for the most part on the acting, but the fight choreography and vehicle chases are definitely much better.