The Vietnam War: The Final Episode

>last chance for it ain't me

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=40JmEj0_aVM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._(military)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How fucking tragic. WW2 and WW1 honestly need a similar treatment, every human conflict does. The Western view of the justness and reightousness of the world wars is so twisted in comparison to how we look at Vietnam. Every war is worth look at like Vietnam.

My dad works for ken burns
It ain't me at the end

This is one of the most comprehensive docos I've ever watched
Amazing how it collated so many different perspectives while still keeping a cohesive narrative ongoing
And that soundtrack was fucking amazing

>yfw it starts playing

non pbs link plz senpai

It's all over the torrents by now user
Or whatever other means you use to acquire your media

BBC did a decent 20 hour doc on WWI in the 60s, I think it was called The Great War. You can find it on youtube. There's also one about WWII (the world at war?) but I haven't seen it.

>the world at war?
Definitely a classic, mainly because of all the people they interviewed for it
But we really need something new, the only problem really is that to do it justice it would take something like 40 episodes

The World at War is one of the best documentary series of all time. Great combat footage, great interviews with veterans and witnesses, great narration by Laurence motherfucking Olivier, and a great narrative theme spun throughout the entire 20 something episodes.

I have seen both, and they are great, but still coloured too much in my opinion by the, in the end, Anglo American perception that the wars were necessary and moral instead of massive slaughterhouses that shattered the sum progress and optimism of Western Civilization, and left the world a worse place regardless of the victors. We are even now unable to look at the great conflicts of the 20th century with anything close to objectivity.

Ken Burns himself did a doc on ww2 already.

You are utterly unobjective yourself though, you clearly have a pre-constructed agenda that you filter all this through and judge it based on whether or not it conforms to that agenda

Only cover the US though

>Anglo American perception that the wars were necessary and moral instead of massive slaughterhouses that shattered the sum progress and optimism of Western Civilization
The second world war at least, was definitely both necessary and destructive. Those aren't mutually exclusive.

What the fuck was his problem?

Literally everything. He seems like he was perpetually angry at everything.

Ken Burns already did a WW2 series (which was pretty blah due to the fact that he focused solely on the US involvement and pretty much pretended the war only started when Pearl Harbor got bombed)

I don't remember if he did WW1 but I doubt he would do it because of the fact that Burns prefers to have all of his shit be American-centric.

That said, if you want to watch a Ken Burns-style WW1 and WW2 documentary series, they actually do exist. The Great War (WW1) and The World At War. The former is available on Youtube if you look for it, while the later gets aired a lot on American Heroes Channel (the former Military Channel) if you have Direct TV.

Just be warned; both are 26 episodes long (but episodes are around 40-45 minutes, roughly an hour if you watch TWAW on TV). And while TWAW moves along at a pretty even pace, TGW does have issues where they retred ground sometimes and the narrative sometimes bogs down in sideplots (anytime the series did an episode about the Ottoman Empire/Turks)

What insight you have, truly we should never reassess perceptions of history because everyone is biased! No shit, what you say, no shit, but the idea of the world wars being truly viewed in a manner like this Ken Burns doc treats Vietnam is impossible to think of because of bias, and not my own bias. Until Yalta is viewed as another Munich, what better example is there?

>watch ww1 documentary
>no one can answer why the usa entered the war
>the documentary never mentions english zionists
>the balfour declaration is never brought up
>the german communist revolution of 1918 where 9/10 leaders were jewish isn't even hinted at
good goy

>The final episode

WHAT THE FUUUUCK? When did this start? I thought it didn't air until October.

Most due answer the question.

The German U-Boats blew up a ship containing a TON of Americans, combined with the English finding out the Germans were trying to get Mexico to declare war on the US for the evilulz.

They held off giving us the Zimmerman note until Wilson got re-elected, since he was having to run on a pacifist platform to get re-elected

Nope

They ran it the same week the fall season started up.

That said, they are going to rerun the entire thing over the next two months on Tuesday nights. Or you can buy the DVD.

Have you not been on Sup Forums the last two weeks? There were live watch threads every day.

the zimmerman telegram was fake. the english zionists were tasked with getting the usa to enter the losing war so that the english would give the jews palestine. this is entirely what the balfour declaration is

Is it as absurdly boring as 98% of all other Vietnam documentaries I've seen?

Fuckers always focus too much on the US homefront/counter culture shit instead of the actual war.

I actually rarely browse this board.

if you have a smart tv you can get the PBS app and marathon the whole series, that's what i've been doing

He was a Southern Democrat

IT AIN'T ME!

its very evenly balanced between the two. a study of the ripple

>dad works for the government
It IS me

youtube.com/watch?v=40JmEj0_aVM

nixon really was a pos

>last chance for it ain't me
I own the Sound Track user
>pic related
It's not in there. The only Creedence Clearwater song in the show is Bad Moon Rising.

didn't even give the full context about the people in this photo. just said how it underscored the brutality of the war and made US folks back home question whether they were "supporting the right guys" over here.

how can you have vietkino with it ain't me? Burns really dropped the ball, but I guess it was too expensive and that money was better spent towards research and what not.

I know right?
I created a playlist and just added It Ain't Me to the Soundtrack. Fuck it, it feels complete now.

But yeah man, to change the subject, this Vietnam show is probably the best thing on television right now. I'm so fucking happy.

there is thread on >>>t

>it's a protester warfront episode

Im suprised how emotional i got in the last few minutes of episode 6. Perfect use of music.

Im not even american but i get the pow doctor and pure hate man.

I also have a lot more respect for nixon than i did before

Also fuck Hanoi Jane.

What a Treasonous cunt

>didn't even give the full context about the people in this photo

But they did, why do you even lie? They even said how no police man wanted to shoot the man so the chief of police said "I'll shoot him myself". They gave the full context about the attack to the city and everything.

Don't spoil the ending for me guys I don't know who wins yet

The Truman doctrine

THE FUCKING SONG IS CALLED "UNFORTUNATE SON" YOU FUCKING RETARDS

They didn't mention that Lem -- the guy being executed -- killed a fellow officer's wife and kids and that he greatly delighted in it when he was captured. Lem was captured near a mass grave of 30-some south vietnamese civilians and he was in plain clothes when he was carrying out the assassinations of south vietnamese high officials, thus making him an illegal combatant under the laws of war and making a summary execution justified under the geneva convention. Even the photographer who took the picture thought that the execution was justified, and he regretted afterwards having taking the photo at all given how misleading the photo seems to an audience not knowing the full context of the situation.

No it's "I ain't no Lucky Boy" by DDR

Great series I wish he would have done this style with his WW2 doc
I wonder what war Burns will do next

Napalm is a surprisingly kino weapon.

Does PBS take the side of the viet cong?

The show has like 120 songs (not counting Reznor stuff). Only a third are on the soundtrack.

that's not napalm, that's white phosphorus

>I guess it was too expensive
Burns licensed songs from the Beatles and the Beatles are probably the most expensive band out there. He said most artists did an exception for him and gave away their stuff cheap.

DOES AN UNGRATEFUL NEGRO DISRESPECT AMERICA BY KNEELING FOR THE ANTHEM OVER A PERCEIVED INJUSTICE THAT DOESN'T EXIST?

BEARS SHIT IN THE WOODS

You're trying too hard, user.

What does GI mean?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._(military)

GASTRO INTESTINAL

HOLDING YOUR GUTS ON THE BATTLEFIELD AS YOU BLEED OUT

Doesn't change the fact that a US ally deliberately executed an unarmed prisoner in broad daylight.

No
Mostly takes the side of the vets, the average Vietnamese civilian and muh "peaceful protestors"

Um sweetie, Germany and the Nazis were EVIL

Country music two years from now