Watch Daria for the first time

>Watch Daria for the first time
>Guess it's funny
>But it's a kind of humor that nowadays has been run to the ground and even deconstructed by everyone and their grandma.
Just to know, is there any reason to watch this that isn't "cynical MC I can feel superior with"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TZThOsCv2Mw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

waifus

Daria represents the 90. cold, sinister, cynical, dressed in rugs (grunge) bitches that lived in those times. She is both attractive and making you throw up. Just like the 90. were like.

Is Daria a thot?

The show is 20+ years old and was on before the current glut of snarky animated shows. That could account for a lot of it.

She was cynical in her shitty town, she didn't hate humanity. The first guy that wasn't a shit head but a homeschooled weirdo she wanted his dick. Which then he became a super VR gamer and just hung out with his weird converted Jock gang. That was a weird episode.

>Trent being all proper and not a stoner

Fuck whoever made this.

It gets tedious if you try to marathon it but it's nice every once in a while. Some of the episodes are hit or miss though.

And in fact, the viewer is oftentimes superior to Daria because she's usually just a contrarian rather than someone who does what she wants. She actually limits herself by doing that. I'm usually more skeptical about popular things, but if it's good then it's good.

>cynical MC I can feel superior with

Daria isn't always right, though. The show makes a point of this. But it's been so long since I watched it that I'm not sure how often it happens.

the series does show that Daria isn't always right in quite a few cases. plus you have to remember, Daria came out before all of the copy cat humor and deconstruction

Trent isn't just a stoner. He's like that friend that's sleeping on your couch all the time and has guitar.

There are two reasons to watch it and they're Jake Morgendorffer and Anthony DeMartino.

>deconstructed

I want to break Jane Lane's skinny body in half via the act of coitus.

Well it's often hit home how she isn't actually superior and fucks up a lot, same as how it shows that the younger sister battles with intellectual fulfillment and the desire to be popular.

not ALWAYS right
but generally right more often than others. that's important. Sup Forums often doesnt get that

>no Daria gf

Just fucking kill me, lads.

seriously. where the fuck are they? did they all give up?

It's a look at teen culture in the 90's. If that isn't your bag, feel free to skip.

They never existed user.

It is a fun show
asshole

naw I know one or two but they're taken or not interested in romance after being burned too hard in the past.
but there should be a lot more!

How does a literally-who background character from Beavis & Butt-Head of all things get her own spin-off show?

When I was in middle school I was literally in love with Daria
And that episode when she gets a makeover and she's the hottest if she wanted to be
But no
Everything you said about the show is valid

Mr Dimartino and the other teachers are funny enough on their own to make it a damn watchable show. also daria's dad. also the fashion club. almost everyone's super funny. even daria gets her gags in, they're just delivered deadpan

Yes

Liar

It's just hard to distinguish the good ones from the tumblr-tier cunts these days

i do find it irritating when i'm trying to teach people to think outside of their narrow norms and they think that means becoming radical leftists.. and worse, gleefullly agree, or say they already have..

I hated that episode times a billion; that dorky kid felt like every SI character in every fanfic ever despite being raised by off the grid parents.

Daria was highly innovative at the time with it's way of delivering humor, especially since it pretty much stood for alot of the things MTV by that point glorified.

But nowadays? I fondly regard the series for its wit and observations but yeah, alot of people have done that in other shows/mediums/etc. Daria still has a stellar voice cast, but if your interest is waning now, stop whatever season/episode your on, wiki who Tom is if you haven't seen him already, watch "Is it fall Yet" and boom, you're done. Closure.

If you watch it all the way to the end, just be warned the final season has the least amount of good episodes, but ends on a *great* episode. It gives Daria closure. The final movie "Is it college yet?" gives closure to everybody else.

*stood *against*, not for, sorry.

SI?
I liked him... some aspects were overblown versions of realish ones, some totally real, some totally imaginary and unbelievable.. his parents were a unique kind of kooky..

This show at its best was quite good but it's really just another '90s sitcom for too much of its length. The second and third seasons are largely snoozes. The finally got ambitious with the fourth and especially fifth seasons but I suspect that was because the episode count was getting up to 65 for syndication and they knew they weren't going to get any more. They had nothing to lose.

Daria started off damn good, but you could see they were running out of things to do in season 3.

At the end of the season, Tom comes in and, yeah, the show becomes predictable and loses its luster with the relationshit tropes used.

Season 5 flat out sucked until the end, so it's safe to say, things just kept getting worse as the show crawled to its final episode.

As someone else said, the final episode is great and the final movie is the cherry on top.

>waifus

I miss Daria like most people miss Harambe

TFW you have a use for your Daria folder

dicks out for daria

Oh, I should mention this to anyone interested in watching it in spanish

Don't. The dub sucks, Daria sounds like a fucking chain smoker and a number of jokes got mangled in translation.

>but generally right more often than others. that's important. Sup Forums often doesnt get that

Yeah, it's weird how people have developed this attitude that REALLY, Daria is supposed to be portrayed as an insular person who just doesn't give everyone else a chance, when mostly the other characters do act like idiots which is exactly why most of it comes off as being so bland and simplistic.

Always, and forever

Anyone got some other Cosplay Daria to share?

I guess it's just that modern extremism attitude. and i gotta admit, hearing them makes me wanna swing harder the other way into DARIA IS ALWAYS RIGHT territory. I'm not immune.

I remember an episode where Daria realizes that her attitude made her parents life dificult.

that one was fucking beautiful. and they acknowledged that it was worth the pain and they're proud of her.
i'm still getting that heartwarming reassuring shit from mine.. sort of. you can tell that some part of them is still pretty hardwired to follow the crowd.. but that's not really THEM talking.

Underrated post.

I don't think MTV had many assets to spin off at the time. Also, dat female demographic.

For those who don't know about it, MTV's Underground is another 90's show that's pretty good too.

>when i'm trying to teach people
I think I found your problem user...

hey not ever pedagogue has to be a demagogue, y'dig? you can teach by 'zample.

Why does Jane have a moustache?

Here you go, user

>Anyone got some other Cosplay Daria to share?

Does anyone have any that'd have to go on /aco/?

Can it be Stacy time?

Best episode of the series.

There was a much much lower-key one for Jane where her problems were entirely in her own hands despite her attempt to blame other people, but it was kind of clumsy.

One small part of it.

Its like, a show for my inner teenager, because who doesn't want to sit back after work and think, 'yeah, things suck'. If you have lost touch with your inner teenager, than you've truly become lame.

Sometimes you just want to listen to Soundgarden and remind yourself you haven't lost all of your youth yet.

youtube.com/watch?v=TZThOsCv2Mw

she's a cutie pie too.

If you don't go gay for Kevin then you are a faggot.

the loss of the original music fucks it up.

Beavis and Butthead was on it's last legs and Mike Judge was pretty much burning bridges with MTV on his way out the door.

Fun fact: to cover their asses, MTV had Mike Judge sign legally binding paperwork truthfully asserting that he did not create Daria, but B&B staff writer Glenn Eichler did, ensuring that the B&B writer got full and complete credit for creating Daria and that Judge could sleep at night knowing that MTV could not slap his name on the show to leech off his popularity.

Years later, when divorce took away all of his money and he had to come crawling back to MTV and revive B&B for a quick big buck payday, Judge acted like he CREATED Daria and even gave interviews where he said that he did not consider the series canon and would ignore it's existence in every way imaginable.

MTV basically had to shove the document he signed IN HIS FACE to remind him he basically disavowed all claims of being Daria's creator/having any claims to her to shut him down. Partly because they wanted to do a Daria revival too, that ultimately never got off the ground because the people at MTV who OKed paying Judge his kings ransom got fired and replaced with SJW shits who didn't want ANY male viewers and not only killed the B&B revival in spite of it being a huge hit, but also killed plans for a Daria revival, because it was cheaper for them to make live action shit that pandered to girls as opposed to Daria, which (like B&B) had too many male viewers for their liking as far as them only giving a shit about female demographics, profits be damned

Fashion Club is only interesting on your first viewing. By season three, it becomes readily apparent that Daria Dance Party is the closest you'll get to Quinn and Sandi FINALLY going to war with each other and that the writers never plan to pay off the storyline with open war and that Tiffany is just retarded and not actively pitting Sandi/Quinn against each other to eliminate her competition.

>Jane where her problems were entirely in her own hands
Which one are you talking about?

Is it the one where everyone is assigned to "Fail" at something where Jane succeeds in becoming popular?

interesting? i was talking about funny.
I believe part of your story

quad doubles confirms

The one where she gets a job copying famous paintings and gets burned out. She wants to blame her boss or Brittney's dad but really it's on her to either take the money or give it up because it's making her sick of painting.

The whole premise is laid on the table pretty early but the way Jane has to be humble instead of snarking at others (I really liked the way Brittney's dad turned out to be to be genuinely knowledgeable about painting) set it apart from other episodes in the series even if it isn't great in absolute terms.

no but her sister is

a what?

No clue

LOL, I remember when that pic was Daria in a Modern setting, now it's Daria that's completely out of style.

The thing that people like about Daria is that while the show never stops being on her side, it doesn't just coddle her either. Daria isn't necessarily superior to anyone and is subject to vanity and doing shitty things for arguably vapid reasons. Two pretty interesting characters are the two black students in particular have interesting debates with Daria's sensibilities. Both are as smart and almost as cynical, but they're also popular and not closed off.

I wonder if she could remain that impassive if I stuck my dick in her ass. It would be such a turn on to hear her go on in that dull monotone as I violate her anally, or better yet, she violates mine.

Only someone who is really invested would be able to maintain their composure like that.

Nope. Quinn is always shown as uncomfortable about sex and is canonically a virgin according to word of god. Guess it runs in the family cause it's literally the same with Daria, just with way fewer dudes involved.

Best and only Daria AU

I meant to post this: Jane and Trent disapproval

check out the Daria Restoration Project

>implying any inner city school would have that many white kids
>implying Britney wouldn't have a big black bf

Can't suspend my disbelief, sorry.

Also
>Implying there would be a single Asian in an inner city school.

daaaaaaaaaamn

>But it's a kind of humor that nowadays has been run to the ground and even deconstructed by everyone and their grandma.
>nowadays