>2016

Other urls found in this thread:

yahoo.com/news/wells-fargo-executives-won-t-152205630.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's an altered SIM with a greater reliability rate on successful reads. What the problem, you illiterate noob?

>businesses would rather spend hundreds or thousands of dollars in fraud charges rather than just turning the chip reader on in less than 15 minuets
I love the current year.

the chip has zero aesthetics, they should of just gone straight to the tap or hover version.

kek me too

In America, we started getting chips in credit cards in about 2015 or 2014. Starting October 2015, business is accountable for fraud if they don't use the chip on the card. 60 percent of our credit cards terminals had the chip reader even before we introduced the chip in 2014 and businesses still refuse to turn it on because reasons.

It's madness. We have fraud up the ass and nobody seems to care.

>we have had chip and pin so long we are now going contactless where you just beep your card for less than 30 gbp.

Lol yanks. Behind the real world again.

They did try that, but it was no quicker than swiping. Also, everybody got scared that le anonoymoos hackers can read the card so most banks gave it up in America. HSBC is the only one I know where you can get a tap card.

>no quicker

ahahaha it takes like a second to pay.

We had contactless before you. Everybody got scared that people could read the card through their pants and there was a massive media scare. Also, nobody used it because it made zero difference in time comapred to swiping. On top of all that shit, no place even accepted it. The only place I ever got to use mine was at a McDonalds.

We need it back more than ever because chips take too long.

It takes seconds to swipe too. Put yourself in your shoes of an American. It makes no difference in time if you swipe the card or tap it. Most places don't accept tap but all accept swipe. Are you even going to bother with that tap shit?

that's what you get for using imaginary money

I never even got a chance to use my chip yet. No place even takes it.

You still need to sign though right? They just let you swipe and go?

Don't swipe unless chip don't work.

We haven't switched over because old people literally can't get technology to agree with them.

I can't count how many times some old retard did a bad swipe and I say "oh sorry, could you swipe once more please?"

And I get a big "REEEEE DON'T CHARGE ME TWICE," in return, and I have to coax and reassure them so they pay for their cigarettes. Imagine them trying to move into NEW tech when the tech we have kicks their ass.

Wait for precious boomers to die off, then we can truly start enjoying the future of technology.

You'll need it if you visit Europe. Literally no one accepts swiping unless you beg.

>greater reliability

i just fucking jam my card in 3 times so it'll let me swipe.

no one that actively watches their balance needs to worry about fraud, almost any reputable bank or creditor will cancel your card and all pending charges if you call in and say it has been stolen.

how the fuck is the card going to protect you from theft when the numbers on front and back that you put online are easily your most vulnerable point of attack?

they have you sign for anything over 20 dollars for a reason, and the flick of your wrist swipe was the fastest means of paying available, especially with credit.

now i'd probably rather just use cash, kind of a big step back in speed at the checkout as there's no really good place for a man to put change.

>No one in Europe is old.

bullshit! the chip has like a full 10-15 second delay, that's an eternity in the payment world.

I still pay for everything in cash unless it's online. Take out a set amount each week from the ATM. If I have some left over after I've paid rent, bills and food etc then I can either waste it on something dumb and get less out next week.

We've had chip and pin for 10 years. It's strange that it's a new thing in the US.

Some transactions are swipe and go if they are under a certain amount. I believe 20 dollars is the amount. Also, you have to sign for everything above 20 dollars, even tap and EMV chip. Our credit cards don't have chips because credit companies think Americans are too dumb to remember a pin. I wish I was kidding you but that's their literal reason.

I swear to you that in the real progress land of Europe it takes 5 seconds from beeping to printing of receipt and leaving. Self service is a bastard but contract less is amazing.

Your country is also the size of two of our states

and should be or

Your old people aren't old like American old people are old, you didn't do the 60s like we did.

The 60s, 70s, 80s and the first half of the 90s did a fucking number on our 55+ crowd. And the 40+ aren't very far behind in terms of inflexibility.

It's true. Takes longer to shove your card in and wait for approval than it does swiping it and putting it back in your wallet. Longer lines have started to form in my town since these cards came out cuz it takes longer to approve the chipped ones.

Yeah, i always had chips only. I use US bank credit card for the past 4 years and it was pain in the ass to make payments without a chip, few months ago they sent me new one with a chip, such relief.

Do Americans not read bank statements or check their accounts every now and then?

If something you 'purchased' is in India and makes no sense you can report the fraud to the bank they have entire departments for it because their customer integrity is important. (((it's their money too goyim )))

Because online retailers don't have the same massive security breaches that we see at PF Changs or The Home Depot

>get chip card
>have awkward back and forth with cashier every time I use it about whether or not their chip works

fuck you wells fargo

It took that long when we swiped for small purchaces my bro.

We've also had chips for ten years and we're bigger than you

I still use cash. And I use BTC for drugs.
Plastic is for dildos.

>No one comments that using the chip costs more money aside from swiping.
Jews are everywhere.

>get chipped card in mail
>never activate it
>it's somewhere on my desk I think
Fug I wonder how long my normal card will work

You do realise that cash is plastic and has as much real value as a debit card?

BS - I use my debit card with a pin every chance I get (I understand it's cheaper for the store), and most places accept it.

Up here we've learned that if the chip reader on a terminal is broken, the staff usually puts a piece of tape over it. That's the universal sign for "plz swipe, chip thingy is fucked"

You're missing the point, Connor.

>his country makes cash out of plastic

I was sort of amused to see them switch to using CAC-style cards, but I've never seen a single store where they were usable. Doesn't matter if it was Billy's Corn Shack, a gas station, the grocery store, or some big box like Walmart, retailers don't seem to want to bother with the chips.

What? You don't feel comfortable giving your card to LaShatwanesa to swagger off into the back with?

Isn't the joke that he tried putting the card in the bottom but that's where the receipt gets printed from? Happened to me a few times, proper spaghetti spilling moments.

The banks and credit card companies shifted liability. Visa and Mastercard will chage the banks for fraud if they don't offer chip cards. Banks and visa will shift liability on the merchant if the card has a chip but was swiped anyways. If a merchant dosen't accept the chip, he gets blamed for the fraud for being a lazy fuck who won't upgrade the credit card reader.

Nothing changes for the user except for this wierd bullsiit where you don't know wether to swipe or insert.

Swipe takes like 5 seconds to process and you're outta there. A chip takes way too long. Worthless tech desu.

> US bank integrity is important

Ha ha ha ha ha here in the US west, Wells Fargo just got busted for making new accounts for customers, then making them pay charges for them. Low-tier, obvious, easily caught fraud. It makes me think they have Hispanics running the place.

yahoo.com/news/wells-fargo-executives-won-t-152205630.html

We don't have fancy things like that in most American retail stores, the niggers break everything worth more than ten dollars at a bi-weekly rate.

>Worked retail for 8 years

Well, it's good until it expires.

>amerifaggots dont even have tap yet
>burgers dont even have passable public transport yet
>shartinmarts still use outdated imperial system
you guys really are a joke

Debit cards work differently. They always ask for the pin because the merchant pays less fees when you use your pin.

You have a smaller population.

>his country's cash doesn't smell like maple syrup

no, the joke is there was all this news about chipped cards being used in america, people getting new cards in the mail with this brand new technology that is supposed to make things faster, and then you go to put it in the chip reader at the store but the computer tells you to please slide your card

they have made transactions slower because some stores have their chip readers active and some don't so you have to do both now a lot of times because one or the other doesn't work

Yeah, but, then obviously /people can remember pins/ and the companies know it. So why are you saying CCs are pinless cuz ppl are too dumb? How would they get cash at an ATM? I just find your idea that CC companies think ppl are too dumb for pins to be far-fetched.

That just means your bank is shit.
I just hold my card near the device and moments later it says I have paid.
No pin, no chip.

In a larger area you fucking mongoloid, that makes it harder and more expensive to roll out new tech.

Every card has an expiration date you retard

The business dont want to be accountable for the fraud charges thats why they dont turn them on. but at the same time the chip helps to cut on on swipe fraud in the first place, so the business wouldn't have to deal with fraud cases. it seems like they are just shooting themselves in the foot to be honest. Next that will happen if they keep it up the chip readers will be come law and they will have to pay fines for not having one.

We had tap for a while. Media scared everybody into believeing that it can be read theough your pants, which is somewhat true.

Also, nobody accepted it. We do have smartphone pay now so that's alright. You can't read those through your pants.

We're literally ten times your population.

That and niggers are where most of the public perceptions of America's poor civil systems come from.

>We do have smartphone pay now so that's alright. You can't read those through your pants.
nope just from the comfort of your home

>2016
>having a wallet

Seriously, phone based payment is perfect. The only thing holding it back is shitty old people.

Nat that's not an excuse. American credit card companies are scumbags.

It scares me to imagine people baffled by such a simple system trying to do vastly more complex tasks like, say, routine budgeting.

We're in a transitional period right now where we're moving to the chip but not fully there yet. Some businesses have older CC kiosks that can only swipe. Some businesses have the newer kiosks that can do both. Those businesses might or might not have implemented the chip functionality yet, you might still need to swipe.

Default, use the chip. If it needs a swipe or can only swipe, then swipe. This ain't rocket science.

(IIRC businesses were required to go to chip earlier in 2016. But also IIRC there were ways to request implementation-deadline extensions)

The real switchover will be with the increasing number of smart phones with the contactless chip.

> muh population
population doesn't matter for some random store to roll out new payment systems.
The banks have already shipped the cards.
All the merchants need to do is enable this shit.
Literally nothing to do with population.

ours smell like burgers....but that's from sweating with it in our pockets

lol, I didn't realize this was happening to everyone. The only place that accepts chip for me was Walgreens.

Oh they truly are, but that's not what my response was about.

nice dubs but you must realise the modern smartphone is the prototype of the RFID chip right?

Europe has a higher median age than the US so it not purely "old people".

Old, techno-illiterate people, perhaps.

>Some stores have chip readers, but tell you to swipe
>Some stores use the chip readers, but randomly decide to turn them off one week and get mad when you try to use the chip
>Some chip readers take a full minute to process
>some chip readers are flaky and you have to redo it several times
>Some cards still don't have chips
>when your chip doesn't work, they just tell you to swipe it.

There are no random mom and pop stores in America, there are franchises that have to have some kind of unity when they roll out new features and tech.

The (((bankers))) will not pay you the money back. They will "investigate" until they just say you did it. I've never been so insulted as I was talking to the fucks when I had a grand spent in Florida, a state I don't go to as I live in Hawaii

>forced to use the chip reader leaving your card totally vulnerable during the entire payment process

>Also, nobody used it because it made zero difference in time comapred to swiping.
With chip card here I am not required to sign the check after the purchase, even pin is not required most of the time. Tap purchases under 10 bucks never require pin at all.

you know as they say with fraud
its more likely to happen near the peak of a bubble
but what's the fucking bubble here?

Is it the mark of the beast tho.?

What a fucking mess.

>from swipe to chip to contactless
Haven't used contactless payment once despite my debit card having a chip for it. Some faggot at the cash register told me I could also use contactless payment, and that I should do it because it's easier. I went on to slide it into the slot and used the chip for payment.

American exceptionalism is amazing

?

How is an encrypted chip authorization less secure than magnetic tape reading numbers?

It's a good 2nd option but I wouldn't solely rely on it yet. Now your battery life is directly connected to your ability to pay for things. I'll always keep a card and even some cash with me regardless. Options are good, two is one and one is none.

When the germans invade you will be the first to get shot.

The idea of using my debit card for purchases or even just carrying it around terrifies me. Credit cards are much more secure.

>Banks and visa will shift liability on the merchant if the card has a chip but was swiped anyways
>was swiped anyways
Lol, here terminal will just not accept the "swipe" if card has chip too. Problem solved.

Fraud is only so common because it's so easy to do. Making a fake magstripe credit card is cheap and very possible.

>In America, we started getting chips in credit cards in about 2015 or 2014
It was way before that.

Reminder that christfags are literally holding us all back because any attempt to make everything wireless is the mark of the beast and stem cell research is literally the Devil sucking babies through a straw

>Wait for precious boomers to die off, then we can truly start enjoying the future of technology.

believe me, we will be the boomers then. so be calm and well, calm down.

they went to the moon, and designed corvettes.

we built the internet and smart phones. SAME THING. let it go.

Debt bubble.

The sub-humans who caused this mess are going to learn what a real moment of hardship is like for once in their lives when it pops.

They already did, Mohammed and Ahmed are already here.

The chip has worked well for over a decade here.
Almost no one uses cash. I can't even remember the last time I saw a coin or a note.

This is me.

A lot of our credit card terminals have the chip reader. We have the same shit that you guys use in Europe. It's just set up to be magstrip only for America.

Yes, Merchants are too retarded to turn it on. They don't want to spend the 15 minuets for a firmware upgrade. God bless.

Contactless is convenient for small purchases, because pin is not needed. Also sometimes they have promotions like "get 5% back when you pay by paypass/paywawe" to promote contactless and it works.

We only use chips or tap here,
I went to the states (Vermont) and none of their chip slots worked, and none of the tap systems were functional, even though all the cash systems had the technology. I was pretty confused desu

My 80 year old grandmother knows how to work a Chromecast and Netflix. I'm glad I don't have to do constant tech-support for my family like some burgers do.

>work at walmart in a college town
>we have the chip readers working and its been a year
>over that year the only people who have figured out how to use it correctly are people in their 50s and 60s
>everyone over 70 is too stupid to figure anything out anyways
>everyone between 30-50 are a grab bag of idiots and people who figured it out
>everyone under 30 who use the cards get very upset the second it doesn't work and think I'm acting against them

In short, college students are stupid as fuck.