Did he really destroy the Simpsons or is it just memes?

Did he really destroy the Simpsons or is it just memes?

Other urls found in this thread:

simpspin.deviantart.com
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What Mike Scully did was basically turn the show into "The Wacky Adventures of Homer Simpson" and honestly if you'd watched his Season 5-8 episodes, you can see that he had this idea in place early on.

No, he just started the decline. Al Jean is the one that fucked it completely.

What made Al Jean think that the current route was better than the one that paved the way for seasons, say, 1-10? Was it laziness? I doubt it, because Jean doesn't write. So I dunno...

From some of his interviews, Mike Scully said that he assumed the show was ending with his tenure as showrunner and since they were out of ideas at that point, they'd just have fun making silly Saturday Morning Cartoon plots.

I think the show's refusal to die might be what destroyed it.

Think Lisa's Rival, Lisa on Ice and Lisa's Date With Density. All of these had proto-jerkass Homer in them.

Why is the show still on anyway? It only gets 3 million viewers per new episode which is low enough to cancel most stuff.

My understanding is that it's mostly about selling merchandise. Fox apparently are afraid that if the show is killed off, merch sales will plummet.

Yes, if you watch seasons 9-10 (aka the ones where he got in the hot seat), you can definitely notice the decline. Of course I'm preaching to the choir here

The characters, or rather, the lack thereof, start to become messed up as the show approached the late 90s. Lisa is reduced to a know-it-all and more overtly liberal than before, Marge is reduced to a nag, Bart is reduced to homer's sidekick, Burns is a senile and friendly old man (rather than evil), and Homer is a zany superstar unselfconsciously hanging out with movie stars, escaping from jail at the Super Bowl, getting injured in the most over-the-top ways and surviving, and gleefully taking up grifting - rather than the put-upon breadwinning father he used to be.

To its credit, seasons 9 and even 10 do have some legendary episodes, but they're where the decline becomes more noticeable, especially season 10. Season 11 is when the show took an even further dive.

Pretty dumb and besides, most Simpsons merch is just based around nostalgia for Seasons 1-9.

Yes user, I'm sure you know better than Fox and they're just randomly throwing money at something because it hasn't occurred to them not to.

Get lost, Fox employee.

Season 10 has no legendary episodes.

Mike Scully is pretty hilarious on the DVD commentaries, but yeah, he should have never been made showrunner.

It had already declined a couple years before he showed up. Don't mean "it was unwatchable SHIT;" just that it wasn't fucking amazing in like season 8.

People will disagree but it was a really gradual slide.

Problem is that there wasn't anyone else on the writing staff who could have gotten the job. The only writers with more seniority were George Meyer and John Swartzwelder, neither of whom wanted it.

They never had a script supervisor after Doris Grau died.

>people/corporations always make the most rational and correct decisions

t. economist

The problem is more Al Jean refusing to give up being showrunner.

Mike Scully fosted a huge culture of nepotism. He made his own brother and wife writers and also used his kids as a focus group, from which he learned that it was a good idea for every episode to feature Homer being a loud, angry idiot who gets injured as many times as possible per episode.

Also the writing staff were engaged in a completely inane war with Usenet neckbeards to the point where they made awful episodes on purpose just as a fuck you to them.

should've handed off to Selman or Maxtone-Graham a LONG time ago

money

Ian Maxtone-Graham really sucks though. Fuck that guy.

I mean, why the actual fuck has Al Jean been allowed to be the showrunner this long.

wow

Who's going to force him out? Fox?

They should can him. I mean, they did fire a bunch of staff writers recently and replaced them with lower wage freelancers.

Who else is going to take the job? One of the dozens of failed sit-com wannabe/Daily Show hacks whose careers led them to a show that stopped being funny or relevant years ago?

They should have but IDG how any TV writers worth their salt would want to write for this shitty, burned out show.

Could Sup Forums write an episode script in line with the early seasons?
Then do poor animation for it?

No. The early seasons were lightning in a bottle. Even all of Sup Forumss best writefags and Simpsons fans couldn't capture half of the jokes the early seasons have

The early seasons not only had gifted writers, but they also worked relentless on scripts, sometimes redoing them over and over until they got it right.

I wrote a fanscript once that had some good jokes and proper characterization, but I couldn't possibly come up with anything like The Way We Was or Last Exit To Springfield.

The early seasons not only had gifted writers, but they also worked relentlessly on scripts, sometimes redoing them over and over until they got it right. There was a story about one writer who threw his script onto the ground in the parking lot outside the Gracie Films studio because he just couldn't get it perfect.

I wrote a fanscript once that had some good jokes and proper characterization, but I couldn't possibly come up with anything like The Way We Was or Last Exit To Springfield.

Even if you spent six months going over your fanscript making sure every joke was perfect it just wouldn't be as funny without the actors giving near perfect delivery of the lines or the animation selling it. Look at the "Sweet CAN" scene writing "the clock changes between frames" isnt half as funny as watching it happen in the background

I know. Yeardley Smith said once that "We have no idea what the episode is going to look like just by reading a script."

simpspin.deviantart.com

Simpspin has written some really good fanscripts desu.

No he didn't.

Get fucked, Cordless. Go write a 30 page essay on how the writers ripped you off.

I know, although I can visualize how the episode would look in my head and what the characters' voices and delivery would be like.

Comparable to Season 3? No.

Nah we'd just make it waifu/fetish crap.

Homer to the Max is a legendary episode. Everyone I know quotes it

Wizard of Evergreen terrace is another legendary, widely quoted episode (the whore gun scene, for one)

>Homer to the Max is a legendary episode. Everyone I know quotes it
No it's not. It's just another "Homer acts like a loud, rude idiot" Scully episode.

Seth MacFarlane

/thread

Nobody destroyed the Simpsons.
They grew old and died.

I'll take a cup of that.

wow, Ryan Reynolds really got old

The show did Waifu-Fetish crap independently of Sup Forums. And considering Large Marge and Strong Arms of the Ma, they just kept on doing it. The only reason they stopped was Fox's butt ban. (Which Family Guy always manages to skirt around, funny how that works.)

As for what killed the show, I'd say it's more the lack of quality talent in the writers' booth. I mean, we've been on the same few guys since Season 12 or 13. Hardly any of them were there at the beginning. Heck, there's barely any of them left from the Mirkin or Oakley/Wenstein era. Though I'd say the show got just a tad bit less cynical when Doris Grau kicked the bucket. If her roles as Lunchlady Doris are any indication, she was just the right kind of cynic the show needed to turn some heads.