The most star trek like episode so far

the most star trek like episode so far
sorry but i am enjoying the hell out of the best non star trek star trek

Who's that in the brown uniform?

Yes, i do concur so much! The Orvilleā„¢ is such a wonderfully brilliant show, Seth MacFarlane has TRULY outclassed himself. Fox was such a smart network for allowing this man to create his magnum opus!

the token kid from the episode
tomilin played by Max Burkholder

I am too. LOL WTF IS HAPPENING?!
How the fuck does Seth fucking McFaggot make a better Trek show than the actual official Star Trek show?!

I'm seriously sitting here laughing at the Irony of all this. CBS fucked up so much.

Liam Neeson fucking cameoed in the new Orville Episode. I seriously can't wait for more of this. I'm fucking hooked, and I thought I was going to hate this show with a passion, but I want more.

I ask because he seems to be towering over everyone there, including Seth
>19
Golly..

It was a good episode. Most of the characters are starting to grow on me too. The first officer and both the helmsmen I could take or leave at this point though.

hes just in the fore ground

totally agree

she can beat me up any time

I'm happy they eye browed her. She looks so much better.

i wanna run my tongue down those eye brow ridges

>those jarring tone shifts between bloody shootings and torture and Family Guy jokes
>blatant rip off of Jerry Goldsmith
I don't know if I can make it through a whole season (which will be the whole show)

Tell me more about the divorce, Im sure its more important than actually world building this society. It was just generic plot 32352, only reason my rating went up was because they did not pussy out of hit a woman and did not go for attempted rape

same desu
I even liked the SJW third episode
there was very little humor, and I liked Bortus' character development.

Yeah I was surprised at how few jokes there were. For something created by MacFarlane, I expected all tone to go out the window immediately after it was established.

the 3rd ep showed they can do serious social issues without coming of all preachy and one sided
i really didn't know which side i was on

>actually world building this society
I wonder why they don't have beaming tech? They have those food replicators and I always kinda thought those technologies were kind of similar.

They fucking shot a woman, and then proceeded to beat the shit and torture the other one. I'm happy they aren't holding back.

it was still complete shit, none of it feels real. It feels like your college kid neighbor is playing these "alien" actors

>It was just generic plot 32352

this was always a possible problem when your show is star trek fanfic, you're going to retread the same episodes that were already boring and repeated eighteen times by trek itself, if they keep doing this and don't shake it up it's going to get old fast.

This was pure kino. anyone that disagrees is a faggot

>blow up a space ship
>black guy chimps out

pretty racist desu

Mike fuck off. For real.

Seth is the biggest trekkie ever. He gets trek.

I wonder why CBS went with DSC over the other idea which was two shows. One a medical drama. Another a Jag like space cop trek.

>none of it feels real.
autism

>DSC
Please. It's STD.

has any one seen STD, i dont wanna was my time

>DSC
top lel you fucking nigger. it's STD. no you fucking don't. those retards can deal with it

whoa, I hadn't thought of that, top kek!

Its not about retread its about not exploring the premise. you have a society stuck on a ship that has forgotten that they are on a ship, theocratic dictatorship that has truth dumped on it but that is just a premises of a story not the story itself so im asking where is the story?

Yep, watched it. Loads of lens flares and some dutch angles. Poor writing which translates into poor acting (Don't entirely blame the actors/actresses for this).

But the worst part is it's your very VERY typical sci-fi space war drama. Klingons vs Humans. You can go watch it, it's best you really understand for yourself why so many of us can't get behind it.

Its an ok mess effect show but not a good trek show

i heard the Klingon represent white nationalist, because apparently a show about the future has to relate to whats happening now
so woke

Wew, episode 4 was good as well.

Klingon make no sense. Main guy says humans want to turn them into pussies and take away their individuality so he calls a holy crusade and unifies individual Klingon groups into 1 Klingon empire

i like their look tho

t.12y old edgelord

Are those klingons?

BASED ORVILLE IS BASED

and he has the high ground

>sorry

don't apologize, op. i enjoyed the hells out of it, too.

those costumes are fruity as fuck, my friend

It's great both Discovery and The Orville exist.

Discovery is more cinematic, action DRAMA!!!! with big budget and intensity. That's fine.

The Orville is comfier, more laid back, with more old school TNG-like episodic approach. And that includes kind of cheap looking production values, flat TV lighting and direction. And even fucking Brannon Braga as a producer.

Of course both have faults, but I'm glad there are basically two Trek shows on at the same time.

the more technologically advanced planets have beaming tech like those guys who kidnapped the captain and put them in the zoo.

yes, they are pharaohs and shit.

#STDnotStarTrek
#STDisSoapOperaDrama

They are similar but replicators are more primitive and don't have to recreate living tissue. So far we've only seen one civilization with actual transporter tech and they're the ones that ran the zoo.

>klingons now have flatter negro noses

what are they trying to say about blacks?

they look like costumes lady gaga would wear

that guy is a visionary spiritual leader, here is his replacement

it's ok as a relationship drama show. it's about pic related's drama her relationships her emotional upheavals her love life (they've identified a male romantic interest in the interviews).

>Jag like space cop trek

that would be very interesting. hopefully those who pitched this will find another network for it. and hopefully it will be a procedural type show like ncis, law&order and svu and not soapdrama like the glades and chicago justice.

>still flatter negro nose
>but this time looking down to make nose seem less flat

again, what are they trying to say about blacks?

It took me four episodes to realize how I recognized the doctor. She played Kassidy Yates in Ds9

is this shit for real

self discovery in a fucking SPACE movie?

god dammit who is killing star trek

i'm not even a fan but that shit seems ridiculous.

I'm kind of enjoying these celebrity guest star stunt castings.

Liam Neeson this week, Charlize Theron the next.

I guess Seth is cashing in all his favors.

>what it means to be a hero

As of the latest episode shes a repeated fuckup who has been court martialed and sentenced to prison for mutiny and generally starting a war.

std is not the first sci-fi show or movie to cater to soap opera fangirls. there's supergirl and hunger games.

she was Captain Victoria Gates in castle.

This is neo yokio of live action
>generally starting a war.
Don't be a cuck. only an idiot would pretend like Klingon's did not start it, hell im mad anyone even blames her

Patrick Stewart when?

that's standard in chick shows/flicks. girl starts out rock bottom (for example, she's the ugly duckling being bullied by cheerleader or like in devil wears prada she's the overworked assistant) and then rises up (ugly duckling gets chad, overworked assistant rises up fashion industry ranks).

girl protag has to undergo lots of angsty problems first. that's almost like a law in soapie dramas.

>only an idiot would pretend like Klingon's did not start it

She suppose to do a flyby of the beacon. She wasn't suppose to land on it. She wasn't suppose to charge at a Klingon and kill him after he clearly missed. She also wasn't suppose to neck pinch her commanding officer and try to fire on another races ship.

Did the Klingons set shit in motion? Sure. Was she stupid enough to do everything wrong? Absolutely.

william shatner. but unlikely because if anyone tries to talk to shatner about the idea, bryan fuller's femme scream will be so high-pitched dogs around the word will be howling.

quick it is important that we have an Orville vs. STD discussion. Even though the Orville is just as much heavy on sjw themes this has to be one vs. the other. Because in STD the main character is a nigger. Also it is impossible to like both.

>She wasn't suppose to charge at a Klingon and kill him after he clearly missed.
oh yeah because she could have just taken off and not get shot in the back.
>Did the Klingons set shit in motion? Sure. Was she stupid enough to do everything wrong? Absolutely.
except she will not get blame for any of that. she will get blamed for shooting T'Kuvma instead of stunning him.

For all of you haters, please understand that DSC is the closest thing we've seen to fulfilling Roddenberry's vision for the future, and the greatest cinematic achievement Star Trek has ever produced. First off, the bridge is no longer a boy's club, where women are relegated to being eye candy and answering phones. They are strong, have differing opinions, and are willing to take REAL ACTION. The fact that an Asian woman and a STRONG BLACK WOMAN are in positions of power attests to the progress that humans have made in the future. They aren't anyone's bitch, even each others.

The aliens represent real world political issues, like the alien Saru, who shows that even members of a former slave race can become strong members of society, and move beyond being prey for dominant powers. The Klingons are no longer thinly veiled "others' and represent a real faction of American society that is too afraid of change to move beyond their archaic traditions.

The visuals were gorgeous. The lighting was moody and added a dynamic and tense atmosphere that highlighted the show's central tensions, as well as mirroring the blackness of space. Not like the garish colors and overly bright sets of prior Trek shows like TOS and TNG that looked like they were filmed in an open field with the midday sun shining directly overhead. The experimental angles helped contrast the detailed sets and futuristic tech with the primitive and current tensions between the crew of the USS Shenzhou. And FINALLY, we have sci-fi tech that ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE SCI-FI TECH and not some cheesy wooden props that look like repainted furniture someone found at a flea market.

Trek has finally entered the realm of true art, and no amount of racist, reactionary vitriol can change the great accomplishments we've already seen from this show.

Orville is shit BTW. It fails as both a comedy, and a Star Trek series. It's derivative and dated.

p-pasta

I like The Orville. It's so comfy.

>oh yeah because she could have just taken off and not get shot in the back.

He came at her with a bat'leth. Plus there were the spines and asteroids she could have hid behind as she escaped. Face it, she wanted to hurt him and played right into their hands by making him a martyr. She did it again when she killed T'Kuvma

>except she will not get blame for any of that

The captain of the Discovery literally says in the previews that she helped start a war.

its is
it does have a very TNG vibe and i like the how laid back the characters have with each other.

WE WAS KLANGS ON SHEEIT

Because Seth is a fan of star trek

Why did it take the crew so long to realize what was going on with the ship?
As soon as i saw the size of the ship i was like "oh yeah, the species lives on the ship. there's probably a biosphere inside" then they knocked on the door and i was like "the inhabitants don't know they are on a ship"

They don't encounter that every day. The audience is aware because its a common theme in science fiction.

>Egyptians were black
ayy

The only other biosphere ship i can think of is the one in Independence Day 2.

ST:D = star-wars

ST:OV = star-trek

you know this is true.

im sure TNG did something like this

Apologise

platos cave allegory is a pretty common sci-fi trope

I am sorry. I really am. I thought your show was going to be shit, but it turns out it's more trek then the current official trek. Fuck you Seth, I still hate you, you piece of shit, but FUCK, I like The Orville and I want more.

be able to say that about 9/10 episodes probably.

on your knees beg you heathen too the lord and avior seth. he will only be appeased with a blood sacrifice

4th episode felt so 90s.

same, it was actually an interesting moral quandry, which is really what star trek was supposed to be about.
I'm also really liking the fourth episode so far. I'm watching it right now. It's really interesting, and it feels so much like classic trek/TNG, while the comedy makes it a little bit more lighthearted.

A ship whose inhabitants don't know that they're on a ship? For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky.

>First guardian of the word of Dural. He makes all law. If he knew we were here speaking of this, he would put us all to death
>Sounds like a dick
>a what?
>it's a complement
isaac a best

i want this balance of a serious episode like 3 and a laid back episode like 4
i do want more world building but it is early days

>laid back episode like 4

TOS did.

I guess the only thing a comedian has to do for me to switch my opinion of him is star in a highly respectful star trek pastiche

Most Star Trek-like in that it was a rehash of an actual episode of TOS. Just that makes it the weakest episode so far. In addition though, the opening sequence went nowhere and the fight with the krill was just a plot device to leave the landing party stranded. Almost any other version of Trek would've dovetailed them somehow.
A smart cookie would've had Bortus getting constantly distracted during the battle by nagging com calls from his whiny, needy mate wondering when he's coming home because his shift ended two hours ago and he just knows he's rerouting calls from the ships lounge and it would've been hilarious. Really they need to dial up the humor, not down.
If they wanted drama, they could've ended it by having Bortus sit his bitch ass down and lecturing him again about duty and responsibility only to have his mate throw it back in his face about the responsibilities he agreed to when they were married, ending it leaving Bortus on a Hrrrmm moment. It would've been ten times better than what they did.

My biggest problem with the show is the human characters don't act like they're from their own era, they act like someone from our era transported to theirs. How they talk and behave keeps shattering my suspension of disbelief. Who the fuck would still know about Dora the Explorer centuries from now?

Well he has a Trek writer on staff, so that helps.

...I mean it's Bob Orci, but still.

a local

The constant 90s references are a reminder to not take any of this too seriously. it kind of reminds me of early Hercules/Xena not giving a shit about anachronisms or playing them off as jokes.

This episode reminded me a lot of an old show called The Starlost. I'm willing to bet that's where the idea for this ep came from.

I got an actual answer hours ago, ding dong.

I'm not sure your spinal cord touches your brain.