What do you guys think of Rankin Bass?

What do you guys think of Rankin Bass?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Or8G_jDcLNo
youtube.com/watch?v=hWjt6LGhHsI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Whats left to say? The Christmas specials are timeless (except that one about the blind kid), Thundercats was great, and since then they turned to shit.

I do forget about a lot of their 2D animation. They did the hobbit right?

The ambush scenes in Little Drummer Boy. Jesus those were dark, even by today's standards.

Yeah, I forgot that one.

And Last Unicorn.

Oh and Flight of dragons.

most of their stuff was animated by japanese studios, so they're fine by me

Remember when they made the King and I movie?

Outstanding. They don't make them like this anymore.

Picked up some of those Christmas special DVD sets last week and watched some of their more obscure productions for the first time.

Leprechaun's Christmas was an interesting one.

Do I even want to know the context?

David Bowie has bloodshot eyes and just saw something that scared him.

Obviously.

The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus was always my favorite, but I remember ABC Family airing it once and then never again. I suspect because of its pagan nature compared to the other tales.

BUT IT WAS ME, DIO!

That one is my favorite.
FOR THE CHILDREN!

Funny that this one was based on a story Frank Baum/AKA the Wizard of Oz guy wrote. All things considered it was pretty epic for me as a child.

The villain of Leprechaun's Christmas Gold is a banshee that demands gold for Christmas (Because banshees apparently need gold every Christmas or else they dissolve into tears) and shapeshifts to gain sympathy points (though their teary eyes are a dead giveaway to what they really are). The Leprechauns managed to seal her away with a pine tree years ago, but a cabin boy from a passing ship is sent to the island to pick up a Christmas tree for his captain and ends up unleashing her.

When the Leprechaun gold ends up in the cabin boy's custody, the banshee tries passing herself off as some QT shipwrecked girl in order to try and properly gold-dig off of him. She pulls an "Ursula reveals her true form" when he ends up essentially proposing.

>We live in a world where a made for TV Rankin/Bass cartoon did Smaug's boast better than the big budget Peter Jackson movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=Or8G_jDcLNo

Yeah, by a God damned LANDSLIDE

That's one of the little things that pissed me off about that whole extended Smaug sequence. Padding it out with high-fantasy Tom and Jerry chases and drenching Smaug in Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is one thing, but trimming and altering the boast was unforgivable.

Year without a Santa just because of the Mizer brothers

One I would love to see again and I've only seen like once is the life and adventures of Santa Claus

I just wish I could catch all of them on TV in a year.

I have a copy lying around, I'll upload it to MEGA in a little bit(maybe I'll upload the other adaptation of it as well)

Ho, Daddy!

Utter shit.

That shit was like a fever dream to me, what the fuck even was that.

youtube.com/watch?v=hWjt6LGhHsI

best Santa coming through

>tfw one of your best reindeer fathers a mutant freak

Thx user

We need to spread that special around

I remember my mom took my sister and I to see it, and at the time I loved the movie but now I feel bad about it since it was such a shitshow.

The actual shows/movies are just okay but I love their artstyle. Both cartoon (Lord of the Rings has a great look) and their stop motion carry it well.

I'm a little disappointed they didn't make more Halloween specials besides Mad Monster Party when they already had established a shared universe with Christmas characters.

I'M MISTER WHITE CHRISTMAS
I'M MISTER SNOW
I'M MISTER ICYCLE
I'M MISTER TEN BELOW

I can never get over the part where Baum seriously thinks that reindeer are not real.

I think someone should draw Hermey as a sissy elf trap stat

I remember watching it on CN ages ago. I remember vaguely liking it, but it was so long ago I honestly couldn't tell you if it was actually good or if it was just my liking of musicals.

quick status update, MEGA wasn't working too well, so I'm going to try for Mediafire, and if that doesn't work I'll try Google Drive

You do it
Even if its not good.

yet another status update, my upload rate is unfortunately a lot lower than what my download speed is(like on any of the sites I tried, I couldn't get an upload rate higher than 100 kbs), so I unfortunately can't fulfill my promise

/our guy/

That sucks senpai

Thx for trying though

I didn't grow up on the Ranken Bass specials. I never saw any of the stop-motion specials until I was in college. They're weird but fine at best.

I don't feel strongly about them.

I love them because they have my husbando Jack Frost in the greatest form blessed upon this Earth.
And my side-bitch Hermey

I feel like Peter Jackson really didn't *get* LotR and The Hobbit. They're larger-than-life mythical stories of gods and monsters and heroes. But he tried to make everything too grounded and relatable (and comical in The Hobbit's case). I'm still pissed about him ruining the Eowyn and Witch King scene. Rankin Bass managed to do it better, even with their Witch King sounding like Skeletor.

I don't think that PJ didn't get LotR as much as he understood that story needed to be grounded in reality in order to work on film. "Larger-than-life mythical stories of gods and monsters and heroes" doesn't really work in film the way it can in books or comics. Aragorn is a one dimensional plank of perfect purity and white untouched light in the books. That works in the books because he's intended to be everything good about humans. Trying to translate that into a visual live action film would just make a bland boring white bread character. Characters need to be characters, it's pretty fucking hard to making a walking representation of an abstract idea in a film. Particularly if that representation needs to have an arc and action scenes and the audience is supposed to root for them.

I'm trying to remember the last time I saw the jack frost special

Is there a timeline for the Rankin Bass specials?

Draw it or it may never exist how you want it to.
Well it was more of a Groundhog's Day special than Christmas.
And in general even as a kid i mad me angry.

How did he ruin Eowyn and the Witch King?

I think that the Christmas specials are too much

All of their holiday specials are awesome. For the longest time they were the only ones I cared about catching for the holidays.

I think Jack Frost, and Year Without a Santa Claus are my favorites. While Nester the Long Eared Donkey and Little Drummer Boy being my least favorite.

>While Nester the Long Eared Donkey and Little Drummer Boy being my least favorite
yeah those are probably the worst RB Christmas Specials, still well made, but overall they're just a mixture of boring and/or unpleasant to watch compared to the others

Ah, but the "Christmas in July" movie explained that Rudolph wasn't born that way.

Talk shit about the Hobbit trilogy all you want, but keep LotR out of this.