After so many rewatches, I got curious and decided to test "Frasier" on its accuracy. In "The 2000th"...

After so many rewatches, I got curious and decided to test "Frasier" on its accuracy. In "The 2000th", Season 9 episode 8, I counted the tapes to see if that really was 2,000 tapes - the cabinet only has space for 864!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qzq4Z72fl48
tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=7216
youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8kmNEo1i8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This is going to be a good thread.

This might seem autistic on the face of it, but you only need to count one chunk which is just 12 tapes.

Tapes have a side A and B

How long was Fraiser's program supposed to be?

How do you know it's 1 show per tape? Why not 2, (1 per side) or 3 or 4 (or any number greater than 1).

Also, how do you know that's the only cabinet? Did you also research if they off-site storage his show tapes? This is common at most recording studios.

Actually user you can record up to six hours on a cassette tape.
Why six hours? Because Frasier's show was established as being three hours long.
You could easily fit two (if you cut commercial breaks, too - which Frasier's show did have) of Frasier's shows onto a single tape.

Is that another cabinet to the left?

>I got curious and decided to test "Frasier" on its accuracy
Why

There are no 6 hour cassettes user

Frasier probably keeps his favorite ones in a smaller, more ornate cabinet

youtube.com/watch?v=Qzq4Z72fl48
>He doesn't measure Frasier

VHS was 6hr, cassette was 120M I think.

tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=7216
You can fit six hours on a cassette.

huh I only count room for 852

Shit nigga I work in a hotel and we back up our data nightly on magnetic tape cartridges that hold like 8 gb

Read thewhole post.

Youngfags, commercially available cassette where 45-120 mins.

How many repeating digits could that cabinet space hold?

>you now imagining Frasier angrily converting his tapes to a digital format and screaming at Niles to bring him more before they demagnetize

>commercially available
Frasier was literally a radio host, he wasn't using commercial tapes. Do you think he recorded it from his house every day? He got copies of the show from KACL

Frasier's are studio tapes though, not commercially available.
Checkmate, atheists.

>it's a finn

It would be a bad idea.

There is a reason there were C60s, C90s and C120s and the right tape was a C90.

C60s are too short, C120s always crinkled eventually.

Also most 4-tracks ran faster than normal speed to try and salvage some quality out of the medium.

Millennial faux-nostalgia for cassettes is incredibly depressing. There was a reason people were actually prepared to pay 15.99 for a CD when that was the best part of a day's wages.

They're still the same size.

They're not reel to reels.

>Millennial faux-nostalgia for cassettes is incredibly depressing. There was a reason people were actually prepared to pay 15.99 for a CD when that was the best part of a day's wages.

GenX here. Still prefer cassettes. More durable and easier to store than vinyl.

CDs suck and always have.

Caring at all is the autistic part.

I miss cassettes. You young whippersnappers with your mp3s and your Dan Fogelberg just wouldn't understand.

>he doesn't care that they changed Lona's name to Lana

>old enough to remember respooling tape into a cassette with a pencil
>old enough to remember when CDs first became the new thing
>old enough that CDs are now no longer a thing

So this is what it feels like.

They've made a triumphant return user!

Damn, that image brings me back.

doesn't seem so long ago. then again i sometimes use cassettes still

If you watch the episode pleb this is Fraisers private collection the studio only kept the last two weeks or something

I had a cassette recorder with a microphone and it was the coolest thing ever. Even after CDs since I had a cassette deck that could play both and record CDs. I would make my own "radio shows" with my favourite songs and me making the speeches in between. I'm sure it would be considered "autistic" in 2017 but it was cool as hell back then. I had to switch back from the boombox to the small recorder between each song and it was a shit ton of work but it was totally worth it.

Cassettes are patrician as fuck.

My 20+ year old walkman sounds wayyyyyy better than my $700 phone.

Why would you care? Its a shitty unfunny show for faggots

Record onto cassette from CDs*
My 8 year old ipod sounds better than my flagship phone, phones just have shitty audio cards in general.

Streaming digital music is soulless

I really don't miss them. Unspooling was ok but when they got all crinkle-cut, fuck no. And who was really going to sit down and splice it out like they are Brian Wilson or something.

My only nostalgia for them was Tracy Barlow's period of months spent allegedly sitting in her room "listening to taypes" on Coronation Street.

Better than CDs that would skip if you looked at them wrong.

>I would make my own "radio shows" with my favourite songs and me making the speeches in between.
based

If you ever meet someone who didn't do that at least once, don't trust them.

Patrician tier home-recording is recording a record to tape via microphone. There are several songs that have never sounded right to me since without sneezes and slamming doors etc. at certain moments.

The convenience of Spotify far outweighs any special feeling I got from ripping the plastic from a CD. Soulless maybe, but worth it.

'''Spotify''' is crooked garbage that pays artist's poverty rates so they can attempt to control communication.

'Convienance' is killing autonomous expression.

Smarten up user.

not really soulless in my opinion. playlists are great. i have an entire world of music at my fingertips. i can go for a walk and make a soundtrack for it.

And here are the shills.

Go peddle your lies on Sup Forums faggots.

Yep. They shill (((Spotify))) on/mu/ like they shill (((moviepass))) on here.

I'm from the 80's and this is nonsense. Regardless of the medium, it's just encoded information. The convenience of modern music storage far outweighs the nostalgia for bits of plastic. There is no soul in information, whether its on a big plastic disc or a magnetic plastic strip or in some hard drive in 1's and 0's.

What if the cabinet was deeper than one layer of tapes?

2bh, it likely is deeper -- imagine how ridiculous, flimsy, and unstable a cabinet of that size would be if it was only 6 inches deep? It can probably fit two or three stacks of cassettes.

Maybe. It's fucking great though. I only recently signed up for premium, hadn't used the service at all since 2009 when I deemed it not worth the money. It's so incredibly easy to find new music I enjoy. It's like audioscrobbler was 10 years ago without the hassle of having to manually download stuff. I never knew there were so many contemporary composers before I got spotify and if they only ever published 2 or 3 tracks it doesn't matter, there "related artists" is an endless pit of new music.
Simply hearing your own voice on a recording was enough to be exciting in those times. I recently read an article about one of the pioneers of voice recording back when it was glass tubes etc. and people's reactions to hearing their own voice from "a machine". Even though it was 70 years or something before my time the amazement hadn't dwindled much until digitalization happened.

this

if anything it should be the music you feel nostalgic about, not the fucking way it was delivered to your ears.

stupid materialism

i struggle to find new music. i have to sift through a lot of meh music to get to good stuff. how do i fix this?

Fuck off faggot, and take your controlled globalist platform with you.

Real anons, don't give any of these streaming services any $.

>not making your own awesome mix tapes

Nice

Well, I remember buying records on the basis of what was said about the in the NME and maybe a half-remember track on John Peel. Sometimes you just had to learn to like them once you'd spent the money. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing, there used to be new types of music and youth culture as a result.

piracy m8, free 1's and 0's all round

>i have to sift through a lot of meh music to get to good stuff.
It's always been like this

On Spotify? I started by looking at artists I already knew I like and saw if they had made playlists. I listen to those and when I hear a song I like I go to that artist's page to listen to more of their music. I make playlists and then look at the auto-generated "recommended songs" or "similiar playlists". I can usually tell if it's an artist I'd enjoy from the first 10 seconds, then I go to that artist's page. I rarely listen to playlists from start to finish, I use them more like a catalogue of artists and then listen to full albums of those artists.

On my phone I can click the "save" button through the lock screen and try to do it every time I hear something new I like so even if I don't have the time right then I can comb through them once I get home. Discover weekly is pretty hit-or-miss but there's sometimes gems on there too.
I've been pirating since napster and removing the barrier of entry of a download time, however small (I have fiber internet) is a game changer.

ok because if i like an artist i usually just go to their page and look at their 'related artists' thing. very hit or miss. i'll start looking at playlists like you do.

Fuck the streaming jew

Was a fun thread bros, too bad these hucksters ruined it to try and sell their lies

>That time Crane's co-worker made him read what he thought was Hebrew at a Jewish ceremony but was in fact Klingon

Was this the best revenge plan ever?

FINALLY.
More people from the FRAISER universe. Do you know that in this universe its called FRASIER?
How is Frasier even pronounced as FRAY-SER

I know some people consider this an outright crime to music but when I'm in that "searching" mode I often just skip through tracks, listen a little from the middle etc. There's so much music on Spotify if I gave everything a "fair shot" and listened from start to finish I'd spend all my time listening to crap. If it sounds remotely interesting I start the song over, if I still like it I save it and see what else the artist has made.

Enabling the autoplay is also a decent way to find music but again it's not about the tracks it throws at you, "artist radio" isn't good enough to just leave playing. But at least a portion of the suggestions are by artists whose work I then look through manually.
I don't see anyone defending Spotify's dodgy business tactics, it's just a great service for the consumer. Its impact on the industry is a whole other discussion.

And.....sage & hide

>What if the cabinet was deeper than one layer of tapes?
This.

Record on SLP mode on a T-120 tape

SP 2hr
LP 4hr
SLP 6hr

fun fact before 4hr mode existed there was just SP and EP

Okay, so let's assume 6hr recording tapes, and a 3 hour show, edit out commercials, and what 2hr 30min?

Are 2000 shows fitting on 860ish tapes? Too lazy to math here....

I am wounded!

Yes, because the writers of Frasier are huge Star Trek fans. There's actually a special episode where everyone from the cast of Frasier is in the Enterprise doing Star Trek things (apart from Kelsey Grammer because he was in the middle of rehab lel)

user, user, user, you poor soul!

Frasier is a sitcom and therefore is filmed in piece sets, it isn't a full apartment, and where the camera is, is where the rest of the room should be. Therefore it isn't so far as to jump to the conclusion that there might be another closet holding more tapes out of view.

Furthermore, we are told time and time again that Frasier has a storage closet in the apartment building, it isn't that far of a stretch that he might be keeping the rest of the tapes there. Possible going as far as to keep his favorite in his closet on show for friends and family visiting. And leaving the flub and snub filled shows in the hidden storage closet.

One also has to beg the question that perhaps Frasier is getting the tapes transferred, whether it be to more spacious tapes or, after all this episode aired in 2001, so perhaps hes getting them digitized?

Hula hoops zima and pacman video games

>There are several songs that have never sounded right to me since without sneezes and slamming doors etc. at certain moments.

I believe it. Every single band that covers Jet's "Are you gonna be my girl" inserts a fucking cough in the exact same place that someone coughs on the actual recording.

What did you fellas put on your mix tapes you made for friends and who exactly did you give them to

Macarena and Coco Jambo /only90skids/

The vocal is even present on Rock Band lol

youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8kmNEo1i8

Actually I now remember my friend wanted me to record "Lump" by Presidents of the USA for him (I had it on some compilation CD)

I had well over 2k movies on 6hr VHS back in the day. I didn't have over 650 tapes. You could fit 3-4 movies on a single tape easily. You got good at renting lots of movies then calculating the combined times so that you maxed out the number of movies per tape.

I made my own beatles mixtape when I was 7 desu

I may be showing my age here, but I was an ardent follower of college radio back in the day. Here's one of my tapes:

>R.E.M. - Cuyahoga
>The Replacements - I Will Dare
>The Fall - Frenz
>U2 - A Sort of Homecoming
>Pylon - Cool
>The Clash - Guns of Brixton
>The Jam - David Watts
>Mission of Burma - That's When I Reach For My Revolver
>The Stranglers - Peaches

Nice. Good taste. Let me guess, you're about 50.

Turned 50 in March.

It was a better time.

Yes. But all good things have to pass. There are certain luxuries I love nowadays. It's a give and take. I miss the past, but I still enjoy the present in many ways. We still have our memories (and old media recordings).

They're actually awful tech to go back to. My 1990 shitbox has a cassette player and its such a fucking pain in the ass listening to music on cassette compared to plugging a a MP3 player in or a CD.

>cassette recorder
And then it took over 10 years after cassette recorders, to do the same with new technology.
Fucking useless CDs

Fuck that. I have a 1974 tape deck that's glorious.

a friend was obsessed with the song your woman by white town and recorded it on the casette for me to listen. I remember so much because I broke it and spend like 2 hours fixing the tape.

>things that happened

Nice try shill

It doesnt even have Paul Hardcastle in full so why even bother. I rather just have the mp3s on my phone i have a 128gb card for fucks sake and it doesnt cost me any fucking internet.

>cost me internet
?

to download through to my phone

I don't live in Zimbabwe so I have unlimited 4g.
I still use my ipod at the gym, I don't want to risk breaking my PHABLET and it's a damn chore manually updating the songs on it even if the storage space isn't an issue.

i live in holland, i should check how much unlimited 4g would cost.
all that shit moves so fast these days and yeah it is a bit of a chore but i would rather have all my songs in one place.
plenty of apps to apply genre type and album covers.
but i'm a bit if an autist so i kinda like that shit.

It's like 12.90 a month here. My carrier only offers unlimited 4G or unlimited 3G as options.

fucking awesome.

Are you sure his show was that long? I thought it was shorter?

But they may not include comercialls, which cuts record time 10-30%, and what about special edition s like the Christmas play, or when he didn't have a show because layed off, out sick, on vacation, etc?