I am 18 and just had a conversation with my landlord (mom's apartment). He pushed me heatedly to go to college...

I am 18 and just had a conversation with my landlord (mom's apartment). He pushed me heatedly to go to college. I asserted I had taken a gap year to work and get some experience under my belt through any means necessary before heading off. I continued to assert that I felt I had made the right decision in doing what I had done, but he kept pressing me to go to college. He kind of convinced me in a school counselor kind of way, which is far removed from fatherly guidance.

What say you, Sup Forums? Should I fall for the college meme like all of my peers? I argued well against it but the fact I'm even bothering to type this now tells a lot about how much I was convinced.

tech school

wage jobs/ retail/ cashier is dead end

world is accelerating very fast

all the anecdots you are led to beleive about others your age are bullshit or subsidized by their parents or government or drug money on the side, or they are in school on top of those jobs

they are going to be run over in the coming new world

your problem is you need to get focus and inspiration in life,something to latch onto to motivate you to suck in what you learn and keep sucking in more than what the teacher tells you,
gap year will not solve it

its about networking and then be capable enough to get an internship and not lettign the party fags/ cheaters make you feel like your missing out on life

their time is coming to an end, they dont realize it yet, or they have a faint idea and are escaping through degeneracy, which the (((media))) sells as (((YOLO))) "fun"

what if i don't want a tech job

TAKE THIS SHIT TO /R9K/ YOU AUTISTIC FAGGOT

What did he mean by this?

Report and sage

Trade apprenticeship is the way to go. A lot of trades are suffering because there's a shortage of labor and the older guys are retiring. I'm an arborist by trade and am working toward a degree in natural resource management while working (I go to school in winter when work is slower). There's good money in it and people will ALWAYS need plumbers/electricians and the like.

Go to college if you are 100% sure of what you want to do

SHUT THE FUCK UP NIGGER TRANNY PROSTITUTE

fite me irl

Wait, wait, wait...

Are you really going to tree school to learn how to trim trees in a classroom?

No? I applied for a job and got accepted, natural resource management is more caring for the overall health of forests, rivers and wetlands. Like preventing a forest meant for lumber from becoming a grassland after it's cut, how many trees you can take and the like. Arborist just focuses on the proper care of individual trees

if you don't know what you want to do I highly encourage a gap year.

For me it was the best decision. For someone like my sister knew she wanted to be a lawyer since 3rd grade she didnt need a gap year

you really should just do it.

You should kill yourself instead of giving shit advice

Become a tradesmen op as I can personally tell you that building sites are seeing less and less young blood and they are filling up with old people

Here's a pic of what I made yesterday

Is he fucking your mom?

Do it. You need a college degree to actually be competitive in the job market.

Get a trade or learn networking and do IT. Most of the public is still blown away by technology at the most basic level and being able to say in an interview, "Yeah I can fix stuff and I'm not gonna bitch about it like a fag." will go a long way to getting you a job. I should've listened to my red pilled mummum when she said this to me over a decade ago.

If you do fall for the college meme at least do an associates at community first for your prerequisites then transfer out to finish. And pay off your college debt as fast as you can.

he wants you to go to college because without you have no chance in the current job market, and he's right.
You have no idea what to do with your life but realize wasting time isn't beneficial

You won't figure out things in a year. Get started on something that keeps your options open and do get experience under your belt meanwhile. College is a fucking joke and if you're on Sup Forums you won't like your peers and their degenerate party life anyway.

>no chance in the current job market

90% of tradesmen would disagree with you. You're literally telling him to piss away money on the off chance he will "figure out" what he wants to do. College actually costs money here Euro

This. Sounds like he wants to go balls deep in her, fella.

STEM or bust.

If you want to learn, go to a cheap community college and acquire no debt.

Or the cheaper route would be to study as if you're going to college, and get a library card. Study the trivium, math, philosophy, art, etc...

That's just if you want to learn about the world on your own time. (You should).

But if a STEM degree isn't on your mind, try to get in a trade, make some money, and invest it in yourself. Don't spend it on women, fucking video games, junk food, etc..

Stick to your guns and remember that no one gives a shit about our generation. Its good incentive to not fuck up.

on six "gap years" here

everyone i know is a fucking mess

everyone

me especially, even though a lot of people probably think im doing better than most

i feel like mankind is just a tragedy

did i grow up with losers or is it just florida, or a little of both you think?

i need a serious change, and even though moving far away might not do it completely i feel like it would help, and this just cant be normal

Yes, fall for the meme

>Or the cheaper route would be to study as if you're going to college, and get a library card. Study the trivium, math, philosophy, art, etc...

THIS SENPAI

Maybe try to keep it on a surface level, psychologically, for a while.

Dwelling on the abstract isn't good, unless its focused.

>What say you, Sup Forums? Should I fall for the college meme like all of my peers?

do you have cash in hand to pay for it? if no don't do it

I'm actually a double national euroburger with a US BA (((in BA))). It was so piss easy coming from EU primary education I did it in half the time with 4.0 gpa and exploiting differences in bureaucracy between different institutions (((credit transfer policies vary dramatically and are your friends))); finished debt free and spent about 10k excluding Fin Aid.
Didn't even buy the books whenever they weren't tied to key code access to softwares/etc.

If you can get a legitimate degree without going into debt for it then sure, there's no reason no to - assuming you can accurately gauge which degree will still have a good chance of getting you a job in your field by the time you've completed it. If you'd have to take on lots debt or you're not sure what you'd like to study, take up a trade.

For example, it will be a long, long time before skilled electricians are replaced by robots. It's often hard work but you'll make enough money to live comfortably and your skills will always be in demand.

looks nice. i laid up part of the foundation of my house and averaged about 4 blocks an hour. made me appreciate a good mason.

Go to a university but don't enroll in the university.

Sit down on classes, meet people, see what it is like. DONT PAY FOR IT.

Learn on your own time about a variety of subjects.

Then decide your path.

Stupid question, but how do you go about going but not enrolling?

Just look up a class in a subject that interests you, then find the professor teaching it. Almost 100% of professors have a syllabus online for their classes and that'll have the room number and such for the class. Just go in and have a seat.

Here you can listen to classes even if you are not a student on the university, teachers don't give a fuck as long as you don't disturb.

bump

I'd kill the landlord for telling me what to do

>turn 18
>try working part time and going to college at the same time
>literally the shittiest time of my life
>finish first year college
>join Air Force
>got a job doing maintenance
>tons of money saved now
>debating wether or not I want to try to go to college since my enlistment is almost over

desu I think I would have been happier learning a tradeskill out of high school
sitting around and studying all day just isn't for me

Don't waste time on a degree for a subject you do not care about, it will only earn regret

bump

bump

bump

ty breh

Don't fall for the meme OP

It's not a meme if you want to do STEM and have a college fund.

I want to be a programmer so I'm going.

My advice user.

Work a full time minimum wage job.

Get absorbed in the bullshit job politics.
Get harrased by customers that you try to please at all cost
Get depressed that you have to go in to work at a job that is almost pointless and has no future.

It'll do you good. It WILL motivate you to try harder in university and to work hard at a meaningful degree and not just some stupid arts degree.

Also you'll have some cash as well since school is expensive.

bump

If you are not into Trades...Courseware, EdX, Codeacademy, on your gap year. Find what you like there.

Auto correct -coursera

become biotech