How is it, that Critical Role, a weekly DnD game ran by a bunch of voice actors can have

How is it, that Critical Role, a weekly DnD game ran by a bunch of voice actors can have
>A better, more cohesive world
>Better story arcs
>Better characters Except one
>Bigger and more emotional twists
>Better fights (If DnD is your thing)
>Somewhat competitive production value
than 80% of broadcast television?

Literally Matt Mercer could write a better TV show than anyone producing pilots on the big 3 networks.

Is this just the sorry state of TV or a testiment to how powerful (IN VERY CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES THAT ISN'T WATCHING PEOPLE STREAM A VIDEO GAME)

Other urls found in this thread:

criticalrole.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_episodes
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7atuZxmT954bCkC062rKwXTvJtcqFB8i
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's just how good DnD is.

Wait, is this last episode? Did that Manganiello fucker bring in his edgelord dragonborn blackguard?

I think that's because it's their thing, as it always have been, and they own and run it themselves by sitting in front of cameras and just playing DnD.
Television is a whole different animal production-wise.

Matt Mercer could write the best shit ever, and it would undoubtely get fucked through hell during production.

Critters are one of the most retarded fandom ever

Yeah but he really didn't really edgelord it up, since it was more of an "enemy of my enemy" deal.

Go fucking watch it asap its literally the best episode since the post Chroma Conclave attack, and is spoiler heavy. Joe is fucking awesome and him and Travis are hilarious together

I wouldn't consider them anymore retarded than any other fandom, but HOLY FUCK are they passionate.

Like look at any Critmas, the episode after Chroma Conclave Matt received TWO fucking Colossal Red Dragon minis (One in box), which are like $250-300 each.

Still less cringy than Invader Zim at the very least

what happened between Critical Role and Orion/Tiberius? i just started watching CR from the first episode and he doesn't seem that bad yet. i get the impression he's a narcissist but he isn't distracting as of episode 5.

At the time Orion was a pretentious junkie powerplayer with AIDS and he got on everyone's nerves.
I mean, he still is all of those things, but the whole affair was a news for him and he really didn't manage it well and freaked everyone out spoiling their fun with all kind of entitled bullshit.

In short, Orion's an asshole

>Finds out right before the show he has HIV and Cancer
>Starts taking meds, makes him forgetful and hard to play with
>Starts metagaming like a fucking madman (They are all guilty of it to some extent, especially Marisha) but only doubles/triples down on bullshit when Matt calls him out
>Completely ruins the final boss of the first arc, attempts to metagame his fucking face off, gets pissed and acts like a cunt, and packs up before the killing blow happens
>Gets more and more tense as it goes
>Finally he has some sort of falling out with cast and crew and steps away/is kicked off

Critmas was the cringiest shit ever, forcing the whole cast to play surprised and thankful at tons and tons origamis and thrift-shop knick-knacks.
I'm glad they stopped.

The weekly art contest is cool, though.

And to be clear no one really knew at the time, and I don't think he ever told them till after the fact.

Yeah I never even watched one. I'm glad they at least care about their fans so personally, but it was always super awkward, especially since 90% of the time it was just Matt/Marisha/Talesin since the rest had shit to do professionally

Oh god, the way Mercer shut down his dumb Draconian-army-to-the-rescue-idea during the Briarwoods arc, with a final "poppycock" to boot, was glorious.

That man is the ultimate GM

>Didn't get to see the new episode yet
>Everyone looks like death and Laura is crying

Trinket died didn't he

I never understood if Marisha is just the tagalong youngest newcomer or if she's just bad.
I mean, I don't share the visceral hate the fandom has for her (who cares, people actually play D&D like that and CR is first and foremost their game) but expecially now the differences in their careers are starting to show and she's kind of nowhere to be seen, professionally.

She bagged the Mercer, though, so she must be somewhat cool.

Nope. Spoilers below

Vecna kidnapped Percy's sister, Sam's daughter and Gilmore and dressed them up as Death Knights (with a hold person on them in a small room right before they got to the top of Antropis.

They had already buffed as Vecna was like 200ft away so the twins instagibbed the two girls, and Joe almost killed Gilmore. Once they realized it Laura almost had an emotional breakdown.

They ended up burning two Revivifies to save them, and all they got in return was a 1 Minute Haste buff and a real kick in the dick before Vecna, which is next week.

Oh yeah I'd like to buy 10,000 mirrors please!

I think its a mix. Druid is a bit over her, and she is always in character. I remember reading her AMA where she designed Keyleth to be super shit and awkward, and self conscious because thats how she felt when she joined their game (Before she only played a simple Pen&Paper with Taliesin.)

Honestly she has had some awful moments but I am trying to reserve judgement till I see her in action during the new campaign with a new character.

>"super shit and awkward"
Was supposed to be super SHY and awkward.

Also I see what you mean by her falling behind professionally, but she is now pretty high up in Geek & Sundry (I THINK she is Creative Director) so things aren't all bad. From what it seems her and a few others steered G&S away from total collapse.

Mercer is a fucking madman Jesus Christ

Do you guys watch Harmonquest? :)

Just looked into this Are they running with the same characters for more than 2 years? Jesus

I think its a little over 4 years total as they played these characters for about 2yrs offstream

'Is that my little girl' ;_;

It was such a brutal moment, if only because they are in such an RP heavy game it would have been REALLY REALLY FUCKING HARD to try and justify/defend not resurrecting them (since even in the most dire times before this friends/family came first), but at the same time I think the Vecna fight is going to be tough.

Scanlan had a hard life ;_;

>Somewhat competitive production value
The audio quality in the early episodes at least is legit garbage, it hurts my ears. When does it stop sucking?

Why the fuck would you not tell people about that

A handful of episodes in. Maybe 6. Honestly there really isn't much to gain by watching any of the episodes before 14, or even 24.

I'm watching epi 1 and it just drags too much. But Why there is not much watching before epi 14?

Yeah, I've seen it. It was alright.

Its pretty much the tale end of an already ongoing arc, and with the production issues it's a painful slog at first.

Episode 14 leads into a short arc that isn't all that great either, but is the first look at a city that will be important later (Pretty skippable imo)
Once you get to the episode titled "The Feast" it gets going proper.

The TL:DR

1-14:
They visit the Underdark to find Lady Kima the Paladin. They eventually find her, and with her and a Mind Flayer's help they overcome the Beholder K'varn (Which is incredibly anticlimatic, but such is the nature of DnD). Afterward they find an evil relic called the "Horn of Orcus" they need to do something with:

14-23:
They take the Horn of Orcus to the Holy City of Vasselheim. It's the only city to never fall in battle. They seal away the horn with the help of some of the priests there. They then go exploring and happen upon a Hydra. After killing it they find out it was a mark for a guild called "The Slayers Take". Killing marks is illegal in this town so they end up joining the guild and doing their trials to become a member and be absolved (Eps 18-22). Maybe at least watch 18-19 at some point to witness an important side character and see Felicia Day actually be incredibly entertaining.
afterwords the Druid goes on a spirit quest to seek the power of fire, which introduces some characters for later
After joining the guild and completing the quest they return home to their keep outside Emon, which is where the next arc begins

You could read the summaries of past episodes from here and have a pretty good idea of what is going on through the first 23 eps. I watched from the beginning and eventually got hooked but its up to you
criticalrole.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_episodes

Alright user, I'm interested, should I just start at the season 3 "Feast" episode then? or can I skip ahead more?

Is this the most pathetic friend simulator?

No, The Feast is the beginning of the first major arc and ends up having reprocussions for the rest of the series.

Also note that the current campaign is probably ending this Thursday (Depending on if they do an epilogue). After that they are going to take like a month or two to play random board games/one shot campaigns and then start a new campaign.

Less pathetic than watching & donating to video game streamers, but that isn't a high bar to climb.

This sounds interesting. I am on my phone so I cannot do a proper search. Where do I find this?

it's hard for me to find a good dnd group to play with, both online and in person. it's just fun to see how it should be done.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7atuZxmT954bCkC062rKwXTvJtcqFB8i

They stream every Thursday at 10pm and usually their is a VOD the next day (Subs only but I just use my free Amazon Prime one) and its on Youtube a few days later

I don't disagree, it just feels pathetic.
I've gotten tired of Acquisitions Inc so should critical role be better for me? I don't like podcast dnd though, only on camera

I mean at worst you will hate it

/bb/ is the most pathetic friend simulator

Thanks user. I assume it's all in order? Sometimes people put the newest video first and it's like...What's the point of the Playlist then?

Anyway it certainly looks like there's enough of a backlog to last me a while. Thanks again!

Looks like it, if not the episodes are numbered. Hope you enjoy it

>>Somewhat competitive production value

It's sponsored by a broadcast production systems company. Look at your own fucking screenshot.

I watch it out of nostalgia because I moved away from the DnD game I played for like 10 years. Nobody to DM here, and no one can be bothered to try. Also, it's always fun to watch a decent DM run a game.

They weren't for like the first 70-80 episodes, and once they got the audio sorted out the worst issue they ever have is shit Skype reception