>2006
>X-Men 3, Superman Returns
>2007
>Spider-Man 3, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
>2008
>Iron Man

Did he singlehandedly save the genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

cinemablend.com/new/Batman-V-Superman-Actually-Helped-Marvel-Realize-Civil-War-Was-Right-Call-127537.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sadly.

Iron Man was horrible though?

not single-handedly but yeah it happened with Blade and X-men in the late nineties Burton's Batman in the eighties and so on

oh wait I forgot the other movie is overrated and people only liked it because an actor died

Obviously.

not single handedly, but he was a major contributor

Why do people keep saying people liked it because the actor died? I don't hear that many people bring up the fact that he died unless it's a descending opinion at this point. Hate it all you want, but op is referring to residual effect the film can have

goddamn why does the cgi in Iron Man 1 look better than some of their films now

only related webm I have but some parts in CW were the same

It was *a* saving but not the only one.

Superhero movies were dead for 3 years after Batman & Robin killed the genre, and it wasn't in too healthy of a state before then as only Batman movies were getting made going back to 1989's first Burton batman film.

Then, The Matrix happened. 1999 and Hollywood got one clear message from that movie, put everyone in leather outfits. We got Charlies Angels and we got... the first X-Men movie in all its leather splendor. X-Men launched the modern superhero movie era with Hollywood once again interested in giving this niche genre a try. Just look at all the post-Xmen superhero movies and look at the barren wasteland of superhero movies before it. So thanks Singer, and thanks leather fetishism!

Iron Man is the true start of the modern *Marvel* movie era but in all fairness it was riding a rising tide that lifted all boats.

We'll get another crash eventually. For whatever reason it seems that the moviegoing audience is ok with the muddled messes that DC is bringing to screen so it'll take something *worse* than BvS to crash the industry. My guess is it'll be some ultra-hyped AAA title that cheaps out on special effects, a studio starts assuming that simply slapping a superhero name on a vacant product will sell. It could be Infinity War, it could be Justice League, but IMO it'd need to be a huge project like that falling flat on its face.

Just remember, Batman & Robin made a quarter-billion dollars in '97 when that was big money and it still killed the genre for years, it could be financially successful but something the audience almost universally walks away from going "well that was just awful"

TONY OF MURDER

>yfw Iron Man will never be this based again thanks to Disney toothless direction
its not fair bros

No, all of films you listed got warm response from audience. Iron Man only truly kickstarted Marvel Studios.

because they make money

they could replace all the cgi with cardboard cutouts moving on popsicle sticks and it would still make over a billion

You're forgetting Batman Begins from 2005 you tard

That was way more influential

Iron Man and Raimi's Spider-Man 2 are the only two cape movies I'd call perfect.

while i wont condone murder

iron man was never known for a no-killing rule, and the movies all show across all movies that he has been in, that while he is willing to kill people actively shooting him, he also goes out of his way to non-harmfully subdue people

so we end up with a hero who "kills, but only sometimes"

No
No
No
Why?

when people saw The Dark Knight in theaters most didn't even know it was a sequel

I was just memeing lad.

>Before
>Blade, Spider-Man 2, X-Men Films, Burton Films, Nolan Trilogy (last movie that made critics consider the possibility that cape films could be regarded as art)

>After
>All Cookie Cutter Quip Flicks and Action Comedies

Iron Man was good but its legacy killed the genre.

Did he killed anyone in IronMan TAS or I'm comics?

>Trilogy
The latter part didn't even come out for years after IM

Yes. Ask any normie what he thinks about Spider-Man 3 and Iron Man 1, I guarantee he will answer "yeah, kool movies, I like superheroes".
Wake up.

No you see there was this one other superhero movie which came out and made > 1 billion in the same year

For some reason Sup Forums hates admitting it exists

occasionally, but he never fell off the slippery slope

>Quip
There's that buzzword again

for some reason it trigger people here

Is it wrong?

yes you people will gladly eat shit as long as you like the logo that comes before it

>goddamn why does the cgi in Iron Man 1 look better than some of their films now
Ike the Kike and Robert Dowhere.

Honestly?
Yes. Iron Man 1 was absolutely the turning point for cinema in respects to superhero and overall, it's totally changed the entire fucking scene with blockbusters and the like.

Didn't all the Rami films all follow a similar beats?

how could this board of all boards have forgotten this film?

What's so funny is that when Iron Man came out, I was saying "Man, they are running out of characters"

Because they have to pay RDJ half the budget now.

Because it takes itself seriously and true fans only want self aware comedies :^)

Who, Jon Favreau? Yeah probably in addition to

Yes. Though I wonder if it should've

I remember distinctly The Dark Knight being a more popular film than Iron Man that year. It is unquestionably the film that made people take this genre seriously again.

Iron Man may have started a franchise, and it may have ushered in our current era of superhero films. But as to what "saved" the genre, as to what made these films popular in both the highest and lowest brows of society again, it was The Dark Knight.

Dark Knight was miles better than Dark Knight Rises, even if Ledger hadn't died, it still would be the better of the two.

Reminder that TDK is the apex of the DC comic book movie, and that none of their other films have sold as many tickets since.
Nor are they honestly likely surpass in moving forward.

I was being sarcastic. The Dark Knight is an infinitely better film than anything that's come after it in this shitty genre. Iron Man just started the horrible trend of origin films and the safe, bland CGI shitfests that plague all modern blockbusters.

TDK beat TDKR in unadjusted ticket sales, and by 100 millon adjusted. Batman 89 sold more tickets than TDKR.
Batman vs Superman literally sold half as many tickets domestically as TDK.

Reminder that after a dozen movies the MCU hasn't cracked a billion without RDJ starring in the movie. He's literally their only money maker, which is why they keep paying him to stick around.

TDK is just a sequel to an origin film, user.

When you say Iron Man started the trend in origin films you sound like a retard.

Batman Begins wasn't very popular when it came out. It got good reviews, but no one went to see it.

Cool company wars?

>implying I started the company wars

Yeah, they need RDJR to break into the 1.2 billion dollar range.
On the other side, anymore it takes The Bat to get past half of that.
Or was getting outgrossed every year part of your plan?

He got the entirety of San Francisco hooked on extremis by poisoning the water supply with it then charged them 99$ a day for it.

>Implying you did not
An user compared DK to all other DC movies, not all cape movies, so Marvel shouldn't have been mentioned at all, right?

STILL the only WB capekino to outgross the film it's a sequel to.

Diminished returns.

He was clearly trying to take a jab at DC movies, which is company war shitposting at its finest.

Jesus Christ, someone took a jab at something on Sup Forums.
You are worse than an SJW, congratulations.

I don't have a financial stake in either company so I don't care. Why do you?

Now that's an implication if there ever was one.

Looks like Ladderbro is back.

You have to be 18 to post here.

Are you the person I am responding to?
Because if so, you obviously do.
If not, why are you responding to my post?

>Implying I ever left, even for a day.

>Because if so, you obviously do.

In what way? You people who obsess over box office numbers are pathetic. Unless you're a literal stockholder in Disney or Time Warner what difference does it make to you? Are you just trying to validate your enjoyment of terrible movies?

Not the user in question, but, it's called shitposting user. It happens quite a lot these days.

I would pay to go see a "The Big Short" style film about the executives and producers of D.C. and Marvel, and all the competitive bullshit that goes on behind the scenes.

says the person currently raging over box office numbers

>Reminder that after a dozen movies the MCU hasn't cracked a billion without RDJ starring in the movie.
>In what way? You people who obsess over box office numbers are pathetic.

Are you mentally retarded, drunk or just pretending?

Trip confirmed for shit I want to see happen

That wasn't me. I'm just interjecting to tell you guys you're all a bunch of flaming autists fighting over which corporation you've pledged your undying loyalty to.

Its just a literal shill that feel the need to protect a company like he was a dog.

Because the first dark knight didn't do that well and was boring as shit.

So when Heath died of an overdose, they used that publicity to get more mooks to see it, and anybody can be told to like something via lying and propoganda, see starwars 1-3. Cucks actually believe those movies were unironically good now.

Without Heath, dying, you'd see that the Joker was really overly edgy, the romance subplots sucked, Bale was a ridiculous Batman, and they rushed the Two face plot lines.

The only memorable thing about it was that boat scene and it wasn't even that spectacular.

I honestly don't think Marvel Studios makes films with any consideration to what WB is producing.

Disney occasionally aggressively schedules openings around WB films (especially Pirates and Wonder Woman), but I don't think Marvel Studios sees anything worth mirroring over at their "rival".

Despite what you think, they both want each other's movies to succeed because that means better business for both of them. Company wars only exists on the internet.

oh, ok. thanks, I guess.

>I honestly don't think Marvel Studios makes films with any consideration to what WB is producing.

Either Kevin Feige or one of the Russo's literally admitted they only made Civil War because of BvS.

At this point, with 3 movies a year, I don't think that Marvel needs Batman movies to prop up their numbers, if they ever did. If anything, with 3rd studios involved, it's getting crowded.

Especially if WB actually produces all the movies they've "scheduled" (which I strongly doubt).

link?
because even you seem uncertain.

cinemablend.com/new/Batman-V-Superman-Actually-Helped-Marvel-Realize-Civil-War-Was-Right-Call-127537.html

That article doesn't even imply that.
It simply quotes him as saying that BvS confirmed for them that going with their planned storyline for Cap 3 was the right move.

Sort of. In shaping a world where superhero movies are treated the same as any other blockbuster, and even setting a new rule for Hollywood and its treatment of movie franchises, it also kind of doomed Hollywood as a whole. Now every superhero movie has to be a part of a larger franchise, any and every movie has to have its own expanded universe. Movie sequels and spinoffs are planned out fifteen plus years in advance. Actors are sidelined by contracts to play their comic counterparts. Comics themselves fall victim to the jewery that is synergy.

I actually still like the expanded universe deal, it allows characters to more freely interact with each other, and not just in special gimmicks. and by tying.everything together it gives it a more "and the world keeps turning" vibe, like star wars, where each movie picks up where the last left off. it makes their world feel more alive, more natural

Because IM1 had legitimate effort put into it. Most of the MCU movies don't have that level of care in them now.

In the comics he has a couple times, but usually it's only when he has no other choice. Then sometimes he kills in a huge screwup, like with Titanium Man 2.

I don't know user. That dream scene or whatever in Doctor Strange was pretty good.

Also, when Ant-Man shrunk down the first time. Obviously it was CGI but it didn't feel or look cheap but maybe that's just me.

>audience almost universally walks away from going "well that was just awful"
bvs?

yes

Compare this to the big fight at the end of SS, where everyone stands around and watches two big CGI monsters clumsily slug it out.

I don't think he was implying that is a well made action scene - just look at the filename. It's a gigantic clusterfuck.

I'd argue the Batman movie that made a billion dollars and won an Oscar did.

it beats having 5 guys stand behind cover giving "reaction faces" while two CW-tier monsters wrassle.

Let's not imply that movie won a Best Picture or anything.
Heat got his posthumous apology Oscar for being snubbed for his controversial Brokeback Mountain performance.

>2006
>X-Men 3

That was over 10 years ago? Christ.

Still the only Superhero movie to win and Oscar

Yeah, while you were drifting off, they made an entire new trilogy of X-Men films.

Still best performance from capeshit. Best capeshit villain. Well, all Nolan's villains are great. And DK is objectively best capeshit ever made. IM was good, no shit, but it's on BB level of quality.

Did your parents have any children that weren't retarded?
Could you have them post instead?

>Still the only Superhero movie to win and Oscar
aside from Superman, Batman, The Incredibles, Big Hero 6 and Spider-Man 2, sure.

rick would be proud

this. Iron Man was a movie first, cape flick second.

I remember reading that they barely even had a script while filming. lots of lines they just made up on the spot, and there was lots of ad-libbing.

or do you think

that "with a box of scraps" bit is something Marvel wouldve come up with?

Iron Man pretty much let the Actors become the characters and sort of interact naturally.

the current marvel cape flicks are way too micromanaged and everything is thought out down to the littlest detail and down to the last period in the script, and the visuals themselves are too focused on being "epic" instead of just being good movie visuals.

for example, compare

with

No, but TDK did.