Genius hack or overrated manlet?

Genius hack or overrated manlet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VFevH5vP32s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catatonia
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

An above average writer who got way too deep into a project that he didn't have the temperament to handle.

He'll probably do fine at FOX.

I think he might have a problem with writing female characters, considering how poorly written Mabel is and how boring Wendy was.

>his new show on FOX (if it even exists) will be a flop
>even nuSimpsons will make fun of it

Mabel didn't suck until the ending.

The issue is that Alex clearly wrote deep flaws into Mabel's character, flaws that the story itself points out, but Alex, like literally everything else relating to the finale, pussied out and never wrapped up said plot point.

It'll probably wind up being a Rick and Morty Lite, fun and clever but nothing to write home about.

Her pretty much causing the apocalypse was never addressed, if I remember correctly.

Wendy's still boring.

But even the part about her causing the apocalypse feels like something that should build up to a redemption arc of some sort.

It's the scene where an otherwise likable character reveals their flaws in order to force a moment where the character comes to terms with their own issues. But it fails in that way because we already know Mabel's flaws.

A genius writer of epic proportions who's main critics (the anons of Sup Forums) constantly lambaste as a hack, even after they floundered fantastically in their "attempts" ( note the quotation marks, I use those to signify how my use of the word "attempts" is to signify how their efforts can barely be dignified with the aforementioned word) to find the clues in this so-called "hack's" puzzle hunt, but hey! They did find one clue! Well, actually to be fair... AN user'S MOM FOUND THE CLUE FOR THEM!!! Still LMFAO at the fact that this happened! The only thing anons revealed is the fact that they were the HACKS all along! Hehehehe...

genius at calarts. Made a great TV show. Didn't know how to delegate properly/perfectionist as showrunner. By his own admission he rewrote every script because he didn't think the writers had Dipper and Mabel's voices right. Nearly destroyed himself through overwork trying to make a kids cartoon when he didn't want to make a kids cartoon.

He cucked /gfg/. He can't be that bad.

That's pretty much my point. There were several points where the Mabel and the rift issue could have been brought up and resolved, but they didn't take any of those opportunities.

I suspect that he got way too involved in Gravity Falls BECAUSE it was such a personal project to him, what with the leads being based off people he knew in real life.

He overextended and micromanaged a project and in the end gave up on the whole affair.

>he might have a problem with writing female characters
Yeah, it's called liberalism.

I think that Gravity Falls Season 2B is going to go down as The Phantom Pain of Sup Forums. An extremely overhyped, generally enjoyable piece with an utterly incomplete plot that leaves everyone generally dissatisfied, capped off with the creator leaving to make a new project with another company.

Of course Disney wasn't systematically fucking over all of its employees or turning all their beloved IPs into gambling machines at the time (They sold out decades ago, after all), so Sup Forums was far less sympathetic to Hirsh.

So, Orson Welles syndrome.

I expect him to be working in pea can commercials within a few more years.

Shut the fuck up May at least we didn't drive try to offroad into a pine forest with a sedan, thinking it might work.

He's hot, I'd fuck him. I like short hairy guys.

Is that what Orson Welles did?

Didn't he write every episode, or something?

Overrated hacklet.

youtube.com/watch?v=VFevH5vP32s

Go back to pol

Genius who burnt out from overwork.

I'm really hoping he starts collaborating more with Rick and Morty.

His cartoon persona is ridiculously fuckable, so there's that.

Daily reminder that he did nothing wrong, you're just mad that he didn't make your personal ship canon.

I think Alex is a really great creator who doesn't acknowledge that part of the reason he had so much early success was the connections he made at CalArts. There are a lot of really talented people who are as good or better than Alex. You don't need to go to CalArts or even art school to learn animation and be great at it. He has said this frequently and even mentions how much CalArts costs him financially. In spite of that, going to CalArts unquestionably gave him industry connections unavailable to a lot of people. He was at a HUGE advantage not just because of his skill, though it certainly helped, but because that skill got him noticed in a school run by "the right sort of people." The Oldboy network is very real and Alex uses it, he'd be stupid not to. Notice that while just a student he made films that featured both Weird Al and Billy West. Do you think you could manage that as just a lonely animator on the internet?

Justin Roiland made all sorts of weird crap for years before finally hitting it big with Rick and Morty (and only after doing voice work in animation and meeting people) while Hirsch got Gravity Falls at 27.

His films were featured in venues that look to find the best cartoons from CalArts students. Industry people were looking for stuff coming out of CalArts. He has said in the past, that if you make something and its funny enough and you put it online, then someone will notice it. As it stands, Alex's student films are online, and they don't have many views. Yet Jeffery Katzenberg himself called up Alex to offer him a job right out of CalArts because he saw his stuff and liked it. Now, I don't doubt he liked his stuff. I do doubt he noticed it on his own. Someone clearly told him to look into Alex. Alex was also friends with Thurop Von Orman who then hired him onto his show. That is another connection most people would not have.

Alex is quite talented, maybe even a genius, thought he had significant advantages over other geniuses

MUUAAh the french

Some lucky fuck that got to work with Matt Chapman

he hates kh as if his shitty show isnt a million times hackier

Chapman's a really talented voice actor, so it's weird that he only seems to voice very minor characters these days.

How's Manzi?

>wasted money on bringing in shitty liberal guest stars like Patton Oswalt, John Oliver, Jon Stewart, and Louis CucK
>let Justin Roiland insert a non-sense Blade Runner future ripoff into his story which conflicted with the overall upbeat spirit of the cartoon and a shitty time travel plot that went nowhere
>wasted tons of time on shipping plots even though he insisted that "twelve year olds don't care about romance", yet never actually developed key characters like Wendy, Robbie, or Gideon
>got too attached to the idea of "I'm inserting myself, my sister, my border hopper best friend, and my grandpa into the show" so that he made these characters completely infallible
>punished the Northwests for no reason because they were meant to be a not so subtle dig on the Trump brand, even though characters like Gideon, Robbie, or even Stan committed much worse crimes and offenses

From what I assume it's because he would rather create stuff than just voice stuff

the northwests were just generic rich assholes cuckservitive go back to youre safe space

>country goodness and green peaness

But seriously Gravity Falls S1 and the first few eps of S2 are great. I despise almost everything that happens after Ford's return with rare exceptions. Ford himself is awful, and it should be fucking impossible to not love JK Simmons.

>punished the Northwests for no reason because they were meant to be a not so subtle dig on the Trump brand,

Literally tried to ally with a demon, and made their money in a demoniac pact.

Their punishment was getting a little less rich.

>there are people in the world that think Hirsch is a hack when Seth MacFarlane is not only still alive, but still relevant

>muh Sup Forums boogieman
Kill yourself.

I remember the part where he tried to ally with a demon, and got his face fucked up for it, and ignoring the fact that Gideon DID ally with same demon and got no punishment for it...

Where was it said he made his wealth in a demonic pact?

Just because a bigger hack exists doesn't mean Alex isn't a hack too.

>ignoring the fact that Gideon DID ally with same demon and got no punishment for it...
gideon also betrayed the demon to help the heroes

Didn't everybody agree that his redemption was rushed and contrived?

Preston helped the heroes too. He's the one who convinced Pacifica to join in the circle.

>I remember the part where he tried to ally with a demon, and got his face fucked up for it

He came to Bill offering nothing that Bill actually wanted. He got punished for being a weasel who just wanted to kiss ass to avoid hardship.

Bill's alliance with Gideon was mutually beneficial. He owed the kid and honored his bargain.

A good writer with an ambitious project hat was meant for a short run time
He got too over his head and tried to rework every bit of the project that the plot had too many loose ends
Disney knew the show as ending so they set up huge hiatuses that only hindered the show's progression
Had to end the show in order to end his misery and now people either love him or hate him for it

I always thought it was weird considering that in NMM Pacifica opened the gate and let the common folk in while Preston wanted her not to, but in the finale Pacifica doesn't want to touch a poor person and Preston has to talk her into doing it.

A fairly smart guy that created something fun but did sadly bork up the ending, but the end result was still pretty enjoyable to the very end, minus a few parts.

Plus, when you got Disney breathing down your neck and putting on hiatus' after nearly every episode, I'd be pretty burned out too.

I'm not sure what good a fat porker kid and his biker buddies could do for an omnipotent demon, his band of powerful Yo Gabba Gabba rejects, and swarms of petrify-casting bats, but whatever, made for an entertaining chase scene I guess.

Wendy was his dreamgirl and Mabel was based off of his twin sister. Of course he wasn't going to make Mabel apologize for anything. It's funny that the only interesting female character he created was the rich bitch.

NWMM was an out of character episode. Padippica shippers will froth at the mouth if you point this out, but its true. I'm not even sure Alex had much of a hand in writing it, his name is third place on the writing credits and probably only their as a formality. After all, its an episode where Mabel acted like a bitch and actually had to utter an apology, so we know he had no part of that.

Gideon summoned Bill in the first place.

>Plus, when you got Disney breathing down your neck and putting on hiatus' after nearly every episode, I'd be pretty burned out too.
Disney only bothered him with censorship, and even then, they let him get away with some things that were unusual for a Disney Channel cartoon. Deers getting their teeth ripped out, bleeding from the eyes animal taxidermy trophies, and so on... the only stuff they really censored was really edgy crap like Dippie Fresh getting his neck snapped.

The hiatuses happened because production was slow. Period. Part 3 of Weirdmeggdon wasn't even done when Part 2 aired, they were still doing redubbing as far as into January.

Hack and a Manelt. Little from collum a little from collum b

Not that I disagree but it's sad that "three dimensional" is out of character for some of them.

>but in the finale Pacifica doesn't want to touch a poor person

Letting people in and touching are two different things, but the MAJOR issue is that it was the guy that has sex with a raccoom.

This.

I don't think that most people of the town would like to touch him. Just because Pacifica decided to not be a jerk like her parents, it doesn't mean that she has out of a sudden to change her entire characterization.

Speaking of McGucket, was the fact that he as a son ever brought up again after the second episode? You think it would come up at some point.

He showed up again iirc.

>overwork
You know nothing.

Says the retard

>He got punished for being a weasel who just wanted to kiss ass to avoid hardship.
>Possible torture and death are things people shouldn't try to avoid

what if he says no?

>Dippie Fresh getting his neck snapped.
Holy shit this is robot chicken-tier

Pwnnd.

That's what Dippy Fresh deserves.

That's what Mabel deserves, more like.

he should not have ended the show as early as he did

Honestly, I think it would have at least partially made up for all the shit Dipper had to do for her if she had tried to sacrifice herself in exchange for Dipper's life. at the scene when Bill was planning to kill one of them. Even if she didn't die, that would at least partially make up for the problems people had with Mabel.

It was pretty rushed near the end, yeah.

Overrated hack.

Like many others, alot of S1 was fantastic, though some episodes felt very filler-esque for the most part enjoyable.
The build up to S2A was fantastic and the best part of the show. Most everything from S2B was garbage and a huge let down.

>Mabel is a shitty person who never gets called out for lots of things. Being selfish, never returning any favors Dipper did for her,ALMOST DESTROYING THE WORLD.Plus the annoying af crush of the week and "oh noes I dun wanna grow up...!" bs
>Dipper is pretty interesting/likeable but suffers from the same crush-problems. He's kind of a push-over but generally gets most the shit done in the episodes. He has some cringy moments but is mostly forgivable.
>Wendy was meh but a cool character, she had some great buildup in S2A only to be relegated to the backseat again.

Soos ok, Ford a complete fucking waste, gtfo with never telling us wtf he was doing all those 30 years trapped in another dimension. Stan is pretty great, has his cringe moments too but is far better built up then most other characters.

Gideon - eh, boring. Pacifica had some potentional in that one episode, they wasted it. Mabel's friends can fuck off, as can Robbie.

ALSO NOT USING FUCKING BILL CIPHER TO HIS FULL POTENTIAL! FUCK YOU! Instead the cop out ending or how easily he is defeated - no body possessions anymore? No cosmic trump card? He should have been Cthulu to the series - but is wasted.

Mabel was shit from season one, friend. Don't pretend otherwise. Just watch TimePig and have your eyes opened.

Nothing wrong with that episode. It's the usual "Dipper wants X, but inadvertently takes away Mabel's Y, so he must give up X for Mabel's sake"

She had a two week autistic fit over a pig she had owned for less than 24 hours. She deserves to be put down.
She has never gotten more selfish. Mabel being an entirely self concerned shitter is the one consistent aspect of the show.

With Wendy, it seemed they actively tried to involve her in as few adventures as possible.

Maybe Wendy is based on some grill who friendzoned Alex Hirsch

This is something that frustrates me with a lot of modern creators. Most of them seem to disregard the luck and advantages they've gotten in their life and just credit their work to purely themselves and their passion for art or their ambition. Like, Hirsch seems to believe that having the creator have all the power over the studio to the point of the studio begging him is a better relationship than a studio holding a creator's show over their heads with the threat that they can be fired when the former is just another extreme. Studios and creators should have mutual relationships and someone like Hirsch should be fucking grateful that Disney even gave someone like him the chance to make a show when his ONLY experience to cartoon-making prior to this was fucking Fish Hooks. But he seems to shit all over those connections and go, "Nah, I'm the genius, let me have my way or leave it Disney". It just seems like, fucking shitty to the aspiring artists out there who have been pitching cartoons well into their 40's and STILL can't get something greenlit, I dunno.

It'd be one thing if season 2 was baller, but he let Disney kiss his feet then gave them a half assed season regardless, so what the fuck was the point of that? And then he wants to go and do ANOTHER show? Didn't he learn from this experience that maybe he doesn't have the right attitude for one?

This is a problem I have with quite a few young artists being promoted to showrunner position despite very little experience. You get people like Pen Ward or Alex Hirsch who get super lucky, get a show early in their career, then go "Eh, fucking whatever" and ditch it. Meanwhile you get people like the Venture Brothers creators who have been working on the same thing for 10+ years with a budget of $10 and never give up simply because they have a story they REALLY want to tell despite Adult Swim's financial limitations.

Fox will cancel it 5 episodes in regardless of quality

I wonder if this is a The Producers type scheme of Alex's

It was a month, actually.

>Justin Roiland made all sorts of weird crap for years before finally hitting it big with Rick and Morty
If it wasn't for Dan Harmon, JR would still be making YT shit

>Dan Harmon is the reason for so many good things on TV
>Roiland takes most of the credit for R&M
>Harmon continues to get shat on by execs

Why.

Roiland is the person who is actually funny. Harmon is just a one man comitee. Together they balance each other out

>Mabel is selfish because she won't sacrifice a pet she earned for dipper's personal gain

>She deserves to be put down.
She's a cartoon you manchild.

And then she basically threatened to kill herself over it.

Please don't bully me autist, I am not a cartoon. I have feelings.

A thirteen year old being over-emotional over something. imagine that

Alex described Dipper's feelings toward Wendy as a kid having a crush on his babysitter

Maybe he based her on one of his old babysitter

That may be an explanation, but it's not really an excuse.

>literally catatonic for a month over a pig
I stand by everything I've said. She should be put in an institute at best.

She's not real, she doesn't need an excuse.

>literally catatonic
I don't think you know what literally means.

I think I do. She was unresponsive and sat at a totem pole for a month. Do you know what it means?

>I think I do.
Because you googled it and read the about page
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catatonia

Okay, lets say that I did. I think you've just proven that I was right. Are you fucking retarded? Like legitimately? Not only am I right but you were obviously wrong and yet you call my credentials into question.
Unless you have a degree in med or psych you can suck my dick.

Both.

>Unless you have a degree in med or psych you can suck my dick.
I do actually, also
>psych
>Catatonia
This is how i know you don't know what you're talking about.

I can't suck your dick without seeing first.

>implying psych doesn't cover catatonia
Kill yourself psychiatrist.

>neurogenic motor immobility
>psychology
Please stop embarrassing yourself.