I watched this and hated it. Explain the appeal. Why is this considered a masterpiece?

I watched this and hated it. Explain the appeal. Why is this considered a masterpiece?

inb4:
>the animation wuz gud

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R2H_FsmxWzc
youtube.com/watch?v=awEC-aLDzjs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

sounds like you didn't get it op

2deep4u

It's not deep at all,OP just has shit taste

How do I find a girl like San?

let guess, it's anime

Why were there only two normal looking people in this film? Oh I get it, they're the PROTAGONISTS you're SUPPOSED to relate to them

Alright, one of the things I hated was none of the characters were really likeable. They're all arrogant, proud, and self-righteous.The wolves are smug dicks, the pigs get themselves killed because they don't want their pride damaged. Some of their problems could've been avoided if they weren't such assholes, but I wasn't really given a reason as to why other then
>they racest
Are you just weeaboos? Point out one legitimately good thing about it that isn't the animation.

That's a big wolf

everyone looked pretty normal in this film user, and San was the only "weird" looking one and I guess Billy Bob Thornton character too

Lady Iboshi and all the iron town workers look fine

stick to capeshit, nigger

it is fundamental that anime is an autistic medium and everything that come out of Japan are always bad. You dont have to guess stupid OP. No matter how good it is anime will always go in the trash.

you know that all the animals were gods right?

princess mononoke didn't even do jack shit in this movie. The story doesn't even really follow her so why is it named after her?

this, watch anime is wasting time.

You can't
>inb4 the animation was good
with FUCKING ANIME YOU RETARD

Beyond that, it did have a good plot for a small story in a fantasy setting

did you not cry when the god died?

Oh,, ohhh, well how about you weeaboos actually make a point for why it's good instead of acting like "patricians". Explain or gtfo and kys.

explain why you hate it
>inb4 "no, you"

I said this because I didn't want to get bombarded with 100 replies pointing that out, when it's obvious

The god didn't do anything to make me like it. It's like when the dog dies in a disaster/horror movie. The scene in the forest where you look at its creepy face didn't make me go "wow" it actually made me cringe a little with how impressive and "majestic" it was supposed to me.

>it's cringy because it didn't have the desired affect on me
kys

>none of the characters were really likeable
characters have to likeable to be good?
>They're all arrogant, proud, and self-righteous
these are called character traits and they lead to interesting interactions
>Some of their problems could've been avoided if they weren't such assholes
this a movie not a problem to be solved

Maybe you should explain what you didn't like about it first.

Wtf are you talking about? The desired effect of one-liners in superhero movies is to sound cool, but they're actually cringey. Kys.

Thanks for being the only person ITT to even remotely give a reason for why it's good

It would've been nice for their motivations to be a bit more than:
>we both want the same thing but we can't share
trite

The animation was good.

I rented this from Blockbuster a million times when I was younger. It felt "adult" compared to the other works, many of which I also liked, and Ashitaka was my earliest concept of a glorious hero.

Nausicca comes close.

You watch the dub or sub? Or the dub with subs?

Subs, though I should've watched dubs because Japanese girls' constantly shouting with their high-pitched voices are annoying as fuck.

can't go wrong with a studio ghibli dub. I watched it with both and the subtitles do a very formal translation and give the characters a much more stern attitude, whereas with the dub you get more of a real human bean. the next time you watch a ghibli product, do the dub.

To be fair, you need to have a very high iq to appreciate Miyazaki...

I haven't seen this movie but by looking at the poster
>dog looking mad as fuck, ready to kill some nigga
>adolescent girl dicking around killed some shit and painted a bloody smile on her face

LEZ FUCKIN GO

The protagonist of this film is completely fucking useless. he just runs around telling both sides not to fight when fighting is inevitable because the humans and the forest spirits are competing over limited resources they both need to survive. He has no solutions other than 'violence is wrong', and we're supposed to think that's deep.

That's kind of the point. Ashitaka represents the traditional Japanese stance of isolationism which led to them growing stagnant and becoming impotent in the face of a changing world.

I love some studio ghibli films and I don't get why people rate this so high either. Laputa, spirited, away, nausicaa and howls moving castle are all much better imo.

I thought it was a beautiful allegory for the impact man has on nature and the constant struggle between the two.

I found the gods to be strong in their convictions and unrelenting, furious at the desecration of their homes, not arrogant and prideful.
And conversely Lady Eboshi and the workers believed it was their RIGHT to expand, tame the wilderness and bring in the age of men.

Ashitaka and Mononoke act as a bridge between both worlds. One a man, touched by the rage of the beasts. The other raised as a beast but still with the sensibilities and emotions of a human.

Neither side is portrayed as entirely right or entirely wrong, it's about finding balance and harmony.

Oh and the animation is fucking great.

You could write a whole film class paper on what a good villain Lady Eboshi is. I can't think of another example of a villain whose motives are almost more sympathetic than the actual heroes.

The only really corrupt character is Jiko Bou the hunter. His motive is pure greed.

The fact that this triggers you so mich tells me you are a nu male beta cuck.
They pay the price for their pride. The main bitch looses her arm and after that decides for an humble new beginning. The pigs also get slaughtered (willingly) instead of giving up their pride. A nu male could never understand this. The fact that you can't even relate to ashitaka tells me you are a mongrell not even worth this reply.

This movie is telling a story, a story about losing everything you hold precious, seeing right before you, how technology and the advent of mechanisation, capitalist thought and the greed of man corrupts and destroys everything that once was great and even Holy.
This movie is about sacrifice and giving your own life for something that is greater than you could ever be, it is a love letter to everyone who fought for what is good.
It is the story of the underdog, it has characters that develop over the space of a mere feature film, it shows you how we can overcome animosity by trying to live side by side with respect for each other and each others world.
It is still a bitter sweet story because it shows you, much like a Greek tragedy, that there will not be a happy ending, the characters step out of this story with deep scars, the old world has died but the new world is not merely evil or bad, everything is morally grey.
The "evil lady" show cases these two sides and how they intermingle, she has no qualms killing all animals but she also gives solace and offers help to those in need.
Ashitaka is not someone that is pure good, he is not a perfect hero, there are things he can not change and although he is wise it angers him, frustrates him greatly and even leads him to some form of depression, very much like Mononoke, who fights desperately for what she loves but has to accept that at the end she can not stop time and that her paradise is no longer going to be.
She resents humans because she was betrayed but grows to love one because of the trust that he offers her, Ashitaka is led by kindness instead of anger.
I love this movie because it entails all of these very human fears and emotions, it is a classic because it works all of these symbols and characters into a great fairytale, the movie itself becomes an all encompassing character almost, containing the big picture.
This is why I love this movie, aside from the music and the visuals.

I agree, now I feel bad about writing this wall of text below.

The issue with the dub of Mononoke is that one hooker has an obvious African American accent yet is no darker than any of the others.

Honestly OP i have no idea, i think it's ghibli's weakest movie by a long shot. Generic as all fuck, the designs are lame, characters are weak and shallow as fuck, and the dialogue is painfully robotic

FUR YOU

If you are looking for shallow plot with good animation I got you covered OP

youtube.com/watch?v=R2H_FsmxWzc

How insecure about your tastes are you that you make people justify why they enjoy a thing?
If they can't what are you going to do? Sit in front of your computer with a sense of victory, GOT 'EM.
But what did you win? It's a hollow victory and says more about yourself than about the people who enjoyed the movie.

Spirited Away is better
yes it is, don't reply to me bastards

This may sound superficial, but I mostly love the film because of how it looks.
The world, the character designs and the animation are all amazing.
I couldn't care less about the message, or whatever.

>Why is this considered a masterpiece?

Why not tell us why you dont consider it a masterpiece first?
Its rare to come across some valid criticisms of this movie, imo its one of the best animated movies period and on par with Miyazakis best.

>inb4 the animation wuz gud

triggered by a Ghibli movie lmao

Anime is pretentious garbage, it's all either edgy, retarded or trying to be so deep that it just becomes unbearable to watch. Japanese people can't voice act at all and it's written in Japanese so te dubs seldom get the tone right either

Anime movies are things you watch when you're 14 and trying to seem above your classmates but then they move on and you keep watching it and then you end up being 'that kid' in the corner

I watched this as a kid and was scarred when the protagonist beheads and de-limbs people in the beginning. I thought it was gonna be cute like Howl's Moving Castle.

What films do you like OP? that way I can judge your values and what you expect for media and the world.

OP can't inb4 you humongous faggot.

Anime is in the lowest tier of entertainment, right next to video games.

t. based audio reader

Just different tastes. If you didn't like it, I doubt any explanation is going to be satisfying to you.

People are told they have to like it because Miyazaki made it. I found it rather mediocre.

Miyazaki is the Wim Wenders of anime.

And I don't mean that in a good way.

>entertainment needs to be tiered
The things people do to tell themselves they're superior, sheesh

in defense of redline i feel like the creators knew exactly what they were making. that movie is just a spectacle for spectacle sake and it knows it.

Porco Rosso is the definitive ghibli kinography.
youtube.com/watch?v=awEC-aLDzjs

>that horrible sentence structure in both statements
>I-I'm not samefagging guys
0/10 pure cringe

Spot on, user.
Still a great flick.

Porco Rosso is the my favorite;

Between PR and Valley of the Wind, the other films don't come close imo.

Thank fucking God somebody else posted this before I did. What a waste of fucking time.
HUUUUUUMANS ARE DESTROYING NAAAATURE is the lamest, most surface level fucking plot there is. This movie might as well be the anime version of mother! for how uninspired it is.