Why was she in the game again?

Why was she in the game again?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2rSw4Xl5qfs
marvelvscapcom.wikia.com/wiki/Shuma-Gorath
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sweet moveset. I have no idea who she is outside the games.

X-Men, which is what I don't get. She wasn't necessarily popular.

This.

Mind you, I liked her in her brief time with the X-Men. Before they shoujo'd the fuck out of her anyway.

Fortunately, if there's one good thing that came out of Spurrier's X-Force it's that it made Marrow a walking nightmare as is proper.

Basically a villain that they redesigned to not be ugly and then lo and behold she became popular for a while. So much that she showed up in books other than X-Titles for a bit.

I do wish Spurrier's X-Force hadn't been so underwhelming. He's the only guy in the business who likes Marrow.

Because she's sexy and has a 10/10 power.

Here's a better question. Why did they put wolverine in the game twice?

I actually kinda liked Marrow. I thought they could do a lot with her. Also, I have a soft spot for characters that are not good looking (like Rogue was before Jim Lee). But then they did this: Which weirded me out. In an attempt to make her "pretty," her bones somehow started growing out of her tits and vag.

For a guy with a healing ability, he sure had a shitty healthbar.

>I actually kinda liked Marrow

I think the X-Men should be obligated to always have a mutant from the Morlock corner of their world.

She is sexy.

Because palette-swapped characters take few resources and barely any development time, so you can cram them into your game without worrying about "wasting slots" to artificially inflate the roster.

...honestly, I just assumed it was so Wolverine fans could put him on a team twice.

Same reason they did stuff like Evil Ryu and Mecha Zangief and Oboro Bishamon. Cheap way to add what's technically "another character" to the roster without having to actually do any work.

Mecha Zangief was a power up super though.

, , The game was made by Japanese people.
Were you not aware that the X-Men comic and animated series was relatively popular in the 90's in Japan?

Why the fuck do you think that they used almost EXCLUSIVELY 90's costumes?

Its is funny how MVC2 had a bunch of obscure X-Men characters but there was no Thor or even Jubilee.

Because 90's X-Men was popular in Japan while the Avengers wasn't.
Dammit, am I gonna need to give a transcultural history lesson on which superheroes were popular when here?

That actually sounds fascinating, if you wouldn't mind.

Any pics before the change on the two?

At least they were assists in MvC1. X-Men characters are carry overs from Children of the Atom.

To take you for a ride.

I used to dislike how quickly she went from "mutant pride" to being preoccupied with her appearance the moment she could pass for normal. But I've been reading books with her again recently and she's obsessed with beauty, hating and envying it practically from the get-go. Which is understandable, I guess, when you look like a walking compound fracture. Plus, it's easy to overlook that how young Marrow is. She often comes off as older, but she's a kid.

And I think she had a legit grievance against Storm in the beginning.

In MvC1 and MvC2, yes. But in his MSHvSF debut he was an alternate character.

Because Marrow is dangerous in a cool way.

I loved her sidekicks in that first Marrow story.
Who the fuck names their muscle character "Hemingway"?
And slime skeleton vampiric possession guy was a legit scary mutation.

to give you a boner

Other than the bones, they have almost the same body. What is she on about there?

Well, short version is that Marvel used to sell 90's X-Men comics to Japan and also they showed the 90's animated series there which had it's own sick ass Japanese intro.
youtu.be/2rSw4Xl5qfs

X-Men: Children of the Atom coming out helped their popularity further (and inspired Araki to make the first JoJo Fighting Game at Capcom once he saw the popularity boost they got in Japan, hoping to replicate the same thing in the states.
However by that point the Comics Crash had happened so the ONLY X-Men Japan was familiar with anymore were old 90's comics and the 90's cartoon.
Notice how Storm has had dozens of costume changes, but for years the only model they used was 90's Jim Lee white costume? Because it was all most KNEW about.

So because the Avengers were high profile in the 90's and didn't have a popular animated series, they were less well known until Marvel made the films.

>Marrow
>other than the bones

The bones are the point. Marrow looks fine without the bones. But she's hardly ever without the bones. Those aren't beauty marks on her face. Back at that point she had constant new bone growths coming out all over her body and all she could do was yank them out to make room for new ones.

Sounds painfulbloody.

Gene Nation was interesting, though mostly wasted.

>Why the fuck do you think that they used almost EXCLUSIVELY 90's costumes?
Because the games were made in the 90s and they used their at the time modern designs? They also went with Professor Hulk and Modular Armor Iron Man, and they used Cable's at the time most current costume instead of the one he wore in the 90s animated series.

There's something cool about a chick who rips her own bones out of her body to use as weapons

The sad part is that it wasn't even a pallet swap. THey just added some extra pixels to his claws and called it a day

Because Capcom likes cute girls. This is the only answer you need.

Who were the most popular X-Men in the late 90's that hadn't been included in the prior games? Offhand I can think of Deadpool but at that point fans were trying to keep his comic alive.

Bigger question, why were Blackheart and Shuma Gorath in the game?

Cause Wolverine was popular and they decided to do "bone claws" Wolverine, to represent 90's Wolverine when he lost his adamantium.

Jubilee, Kitty, Nightcrawler seem like obvious picks. New Mutants.

Huh. How did I not know any of this?

Character designer had a book of marvel characters and was choosing who to put into the game. Saw her design and decided it would fit. Didn't know who the character was, just liked the design.

Thats the real story I read somewhere years ago

I don't know. I guess Capcom really likes him.

>It is known that during discussions to determine what characters would be in the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 roster, Capcom readily conceded to any refusals made for certain characters by Marvel, such as Venom. However, when Marvel refused the inclusion of Shuma-Gorath, Capcom vehemently protested, demanding that they be allowed to include him. After unusually constant and intense demand from Capcom, Marvel conceded and allowed Shuma-Gorath to be included in the roster, but only as DLC.

marvelvscapcom.wikia.com/wiki/Shuma-Gorath

Because Blackheart is based as fuck and Shuma-Gorath looked cool to Capcom guys.

Chaos Dimension was my jam

I found out by asking a Sup Forumsmrade of mine who actually lived in Japan as a kid and is familiar with how comics sell there before he came here.

It's not of several varieties of esoteric knowledge.

I recall an anecdote from someone on the dev team that the character designers were given books of designs to choose from and they reacted negatively, saying they were mostly just "men with capes" before settling on Shuma and Blackheart for Marvel Super Heroes. Basically, the anecdote from , which may have been a case of it happening again.

Shuma came back in MvC3 because his time in the fighting games made him popular in Japan.

It worked a treat, too. People freaked out over a clone character just because it was a fairly recent reference (and his health was shittier, which tied into DEEPEST LORE years before that was a recognized thing). I only pity the people who tried to run teams with that guy, thinking they had some super-strong strategy with that sliding assist.

>tfw we'll never get another MvC2

What I wanna know is who the fuck is that chick with the gun who helps Sabertooth in one of his specials.

Birdy. She was his sidekick.

Then Graydon Creed killed her.

Birdy, she kept Sabertooth from getting angry with her psychic powers. Until she died anyways

>popular in japan
gee I wonder why

That kind of worked, since Dio Brando was popular AF to reference his game incarnation

It was a hodgepodge of sprites, weirdo balancing and acid jazz, and it can never truly be replicated. I suppose we should just be happy that it exists at all.

In marvel 2 you could just pick any character 3 times, you could have 3 Cables, 3 Guiles, anyone

but that was only after you bought all the extra colors

I still remember the OST getting slammed by reviewers.

Reviewers have always had shit taste. I bet they hated the Sonic R soundtrack, too.

Fucking philistines.

Bone fetish

after putting in the main Marvel characters Capcom was able to put in characters they just thought would play cool or look cool in a game
they weren't under Marvel's thumb on who to put in

>She wasn't necessarily popular.
that didn't stopped them from pushing her and try to make it a thing
i remember about 3 "team-ups" with Spider-Man, one of them its own one shot

but at least back then Marvel would get the hint and bow out with some dignity unlike recently

>there are people on this planet right now who didn't like MVC2's soundtrack