How would you have resolved this subplot?

So, of the several plot-lines Gravity Falls never resolved, Mabel having given away the Rift that caused Weirdmageddon seems to be one most people agree should have been addressed. So, do you have any ideas on how they could've addressed it?

Other urls found in this thread:

ibtimes.com/ubisoft-disney-announce-gravity-falls-legend-gnome-gemulets-3ds-2004881
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They can't because no Season 3.

I know, but I was wondering about ways it could've happened.

I'd rather we got the full Season Two and Season Three.

Has anyone thought to ask Alex if he'd ever share his plans for a full-length Seasons Two and Three that were compressed into the Season Two that we ended up with?

Here's how I would've done it.

Basically, the idea would be set during the scene in which Bill is about to kill Dipper or Mabel in front of Stan and Ford. When it's unsure who he's going to pick, Mabel nervously and reluctantly decides to sacrifice her life for Dipper's. This would partially be out of love for her brother and partially be out of guilt for having given away the rift that caused Weirdmageddon, believing it to be all her fault.

She doesn't mention why she decides to sacrifice herself, so Bill decides to force her to admit what she did to Stan, Dipper, and Ford. Mabel tearfully spills her guts about it, and Bill decides to milk this for all it's worth by forcing her to repeat it loud enough so that the entire town can hear it. Just as Bill's about to kill her, Stan interrupts disguised as Ford and the episode basically continues like normal.

Is the DS game canon or fanfic?

It was written by Alex, right?
I'd put it down as a canon filler episode that doesn't ultimately tie into the overarching plot of the series but still happened anyways.

I think he only did the character designs.

ibtimes.com/ubisoft-disney-announce-gravity-falls-legend-gnome-gemulets-3ds-2004881
This article implies he helped with the story at least.

I'm not sure he remembers them.

Did you have any ideas?

He probably wrote it all down somewhere.

In terms of a Season Two and Three?

The most obvious starting point would be to split up Season Two in half. Both halves would be extended to 20 episodes each; the first half (Season Two) would conclude with Ford making it back through the portal, and the second half (Season Three) could conclude with either "Dipper and Mabel vs. The Future", assuming that "Weirdmageddon" would become its own separate television movie, or with the series finale proper ("Weirdmageddon 3: Take Back The Falls"). After that, pace out the remaining episodes throughout the seasons, and then fill in the blanks some other way.

For example, maybe a happier resolution to the Mabel/Mermando storyline? Something that doesn't involve Barbara Manatee.

Well, actually I was referring to any ideas for how they could've resolved the plot point mentioned in the OP

Oh.

Honestly, I think the writing is all you'd really need to change. Make Bill-as-Blendin less obviously evil, give him a better offer for Mabel, and have Mabel be in a situation more desperate. Maybe have Ford outright talk about Dipper being a permanent apprentice or something. Or just straight shittalk Mabel, whynot.

She does kinda deserve a shittalking.

That's an opinion.
But it would make for a more desperate situation in which Mabel might actually have more of a reason to accept Bill-as-Blendin's offer. "If I don't take the offer, I might never see Dipper again. If I do take the offer, I

wait, what WAS Blendin's offer, anyways? It's been, like, at least three years since the finale.

she didnt know what it was. technically she didnt do anything that wrong.

Locking Gravity Falls in a time bubble so that Summer lasts forever.

Her not knowing what it was is a pretty good reason why she shouldn't give away a weird looking thing that didn't belong to her.

Oh, right.
Yeah, I don't think that would have ever worked.

Maybe something more like locking HER in a time loop, thus allowing her an infinite summer she could spend however she pleased. Sort of like the dream world she created for herself, but less of a lucid dream and more outright denial.

Well, the point is that it was actually Bill making up a lie that she'd believe.

It's not really important. The rift was only dangerous because it allowed Bill to escape. Bill's dead now, so the rift doesn't matter.

That's not really the point I'm trying to make. It was that it should have been addressed during Weirdmageddon.

A fair point. Still, making it more personal might have helped seal the deal. Otherwise, Mabel might be like "Does my happiness matter more than the happiness of others?" and decline the offer. One of those kinds of morals.

I think the point of the scene was that she hadn't learned that moral.

Obviously not.
Y'know, I think the best way to improve "Gravity Falls" as a whole is give Mabel some visible character growth. She's treated as a main figure of focus in the series besides Dipper, yet she doesn't appear to have much (if any) growth and change between the beginning and the end of the series. She has character moments, but no real forward growth.

Hell, Dipper doesn't seem to have much in the way of forward growth either. At least, nothing that sticks out in my memory.

Was Weirdmageddon 2 a whole episode inside Mabel's fantasy? That could have been half an episode and the other half should have been her apologizing. Don't know how though.

Hirsch once said in an interview or an AMA that he was planning on making a separate TV movie; I've always assumed "Weirdmageddon" to be that movie, now split into three/four parts and squished into the end of Season Two.

Y'know, I wonder if it's possible to edit Weirdmageddon into a feature-length movie with no cuts for commercials or credits.