What is Sup Forums's thoughts on building an underground apocalypse shelter out of a used shipping container?

What is Sup Forums's thoughts on building an underground apocalypse shelter out of a used shipping container?
How much would it cost, what energy source would power the home, where in the world would you bury it, what supplies would you store to survive like food liquids and gas masks, how to make it safe from collapsing and waterproof, what books games tech etc would you keep for knowledge and culture when apocalypse is over, what weapons to defend it?
Remember the shelter is prepared for global warming, ice age, nuclear bombing and winter, gamma rays, asteriod impacts, civil war, earthquakes, everything possible.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=meZ-rf_wHVE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you're planning on living underground in that thing, you better be thinking about air circulation and filtration, sparky.

ask /diy/

Shipping containers aren't designed to support heavy loads across their faces.

Pipes poking out the surface would be fine, a charcoal filter for nuclear winter.
Store a water tank beside container, combined with boiling piss, would allow plenty of liquid reserves or a while.

What? Don't they stack on top of each other in ports?

>aren't designed to support heavy loads across their faces

Unlike your mum

KEKSHED

That's why you build a strong triangular roof on top of them, with only around 50cm of dirt above the highest point.

Those are actually bad for burying since the walls will cave from the dirt. You need to build a buffer of gravel/rocks in a net (I forgot what it's called).

I'll park my truck over your entrance door, use my oxy acetylene torch to cut a hole in the roof, and pipe my exhaust in for 6 hours. Just for fun. Then I'll take your shit.

idk but keep a handgun on handy in case shit goes south in there for a quick out instead of a long and painful one

something circular like huge drainage pipes would be more structurally sound, but you still have a damp, moldy POS. properly building underground structures is really hard.

it's metal, you just can't dig a hole and put metal underground, it'll get rusted.
then you'll have to go deep enough, it will not support the weight of the soil above it.

Or a layer of concrete on sides

Exactly. They were designed to have strong vertical support. Very weak on sides though.

>What? Don't they stack on top of each other in ports?

They attach at the corners.

>That's why you build a strong triangular roof on top of them, with only around 50cm of dirt above the highest point.

If you're having to modify them to this extent you're defeating the purpose of using them in the first place.

aussie-tier

Oh I see. That makes sense.

Shit idea unless you have the correct soil conditions and water table. Just spend your money on building a nice cuckshed.

ANYTHING TO DISTRACT FROM THE KKKILLARY KKKLINTON KKKAMPAIGN KKKATRASTROPHE, EH?

FUCKING
LOL
CTR
KILLING
ITSELF

They have stacking points on the corners which distributes the load along the steel beam frame (kinda like a building frame). The corrugated steel wall panels aren't designed to support direct loads. This is why in a particularly bad truck crash or train derail, you see the sides tear open like paper. Some, however, are more durable, you'll know by the price difference.

You want a flat bottom though, and heaps of circulation would help with keeping out mold.

You need a skeleton to build around with concrete etc.

>shipping containers
It would collapse as soon as it rained.

You will still need reinforced concrete around the sides, the shipping container wont last that long without it underground. You need to paint the whole thing with some industrial grade paint so it wont rust and after all the support beams you need to add you will have fuck all room inside it.

>You need a skeleton to build around with concrete etc.

You shouldn't pour concrete in contact with exposed metal. It's a recipe for corrosion.

Just use CMUs, this is what they were designed for. Hire a contractor to pour you a roof.

Would building a shelter out of CMU bricks instead of shipping container be better? Should I completely ignore the container meme and do a wholly concrete bunker?
Would this be much more expensive though?

shipping containers aren't meant to be put underground. If you were serious, a concrete bunker is what you need for any type of subterranean bunker

the container has to be flipped upside down to bear the weight of the dirt. Also needs reinforcing. Guy made a three part video of how he did it.

youtube.com/watch?v=meZ-rf_wHVE

I'm now thinking of an underground hexagonal honeycomb cell with pic related as roof as my shelter.
This shape combined with being made out of reinforced concrete and CMU's would be incredibly strong.

That's interesting, how come shipping container flipped can bear weight of dirt better?

You should definitely not attempt to bury shipping containers.

What you should use depends on your situation. CMUs have the best mix of speed, price, and quality. You can fill them with concrete and rebar, earth, gravel, whatever. Another alternative is used tires filled with earth, like Earthships.

For your roof you might consider a sod roof. You need three feet of packed soil to provide adequate radiation shielding, though.

It would be hard to bury your shelter outright economically. You could look at precast arch pipe depending on how you would have to get it to your building site.

I have a strong urge to fulton that crate.

It Shouldn't. The same amount of force is being applied to the sides of the container, which is the weakest point of shipping containers. As soon as it rains there, it going to collapse. it's pretty much what these guys said
Turning them upside down doesn't eliminate the pressure on the faces of the shipping containers.

Because the bottom of a container is designed to bear the weight of whatever you're shipping- I believe it's 60k lbs or so. If you have time watch all three vids. I think in the first vid he has a small model of the strong and weak points of containers. Would need to crunch the numbers and determine if reinforcing a container is more expensive than just having someone pour concrete. One method is tried and true, the other not so much.

I actually have one of these, I can't imagine living in it.

Not a good idea, they aren't made to hold any sort of weight except on their floors and corner posts, the walls will collapse under and pressure from the dirt.

Much better idea to use a section of large metal drainage pipe with caps welded on the ends.

>Because the bottom of a container is designed to bear the weight of whatever you're shipping-

--in the direction of inside the container to outside the container.

If you try to use it to hold external loads you'll have to rip out the flooring system and (at best) reassemble it on the outside of the container. This is assuming it's not just plywood, which some are.

Look, I linked a vid of a guy who has done it. He says he did a shit ton of extra welding of plate inside and out. It's not impossible, but economically concrete is probably the better and safer bet.

/diy/ here. Shipping containers make horrible underground shelters for the reasons stated here:
Pic related.

Make your shelter out of something already designed to be buried, such as (but not limited to):
>septic tank
>cistern
>steel culvert/corrugated pipe

wow thanks.. I am woke now.. had been thinking of buying some cheap land near Albuquerque and dropping a few of these in... good Faraday nnEMF rejection

I've been living underground comfortably for a year now, but I hired a company that only builds civilian bunkers. They probably wouldn't appreciate a name drop, but yeah. This isn't a "do-it-yourself" project.

Kek, please no.

Go to /k/ first, leave /dyi/ alone

Town rapist?

>Tool shed? Best
>Faraday cage? Good.
>Cuck shed? If you're a faggot.
>Bomb/fallout shelter? Maximum Keks!