Final Cut or Director’s Cut?

Final Cut or Director’s Cut?

directors
> no blue filter

i was just thinking about rewatching it so i might just use this thread too

Directors, or whichever one doesn't have those fucking voice overs, and doesn't implicate Deckard as a replicant

I've never seen this movie

Final Cut.

Final cut.
Anyone that says otherwise is a retarded faggot.

No voice overs

No unicorn

That's all that's required for a good bladerunner cut

I understand most things about this movie but what was the significance of the guy with the cane who kept following Deckard?

The voiceovers are in the Theatrical Cut, but Decklicant is implied in the Director’s Cut

Haven't seen the Final Cut yet so I dunno if the implication is still there

Hes Dekards liaison/keeper.
If you believe the theory, hes also the only one that knows dekard is a replicant

Director's. Not joking here.

>Everyone makes the film with the assumption that Deckard is human
>One retarded fan theory crops up that Dekard is a replicant because they literally obsessed to death over it
>Hurr hey riddlesly, is teh Dek a robo?
>Sure, what ever gets you to buy another version of the film. Thanks for the money tard.

Ive asked on Sup Forums and most said directors

I asked on reddit and most said final

Also just google it and most say final

International. The movie should be a detective noir.

The final cut. They retconned it with the next one though. Deckard was a replicant. That one guy couldn't have known about Deckards dream if not. Now he's not one or he would have already died.

it's strongly implied.

Its still in there. I'm surprised no one has just made a version of it edited it out.

I liked the voice overs.

The workprint version is objectively the best.

>it's strongly implied.
That the studio made other cuts just for the money?

I don't mind them except for when Roy dies.

>heard about the deckard is a replicant theory way before I even watched the movie
>knew the basic plot of the movie already and thought the theory sounded pretty neat
>finally get around to watching the movie
>realize that the theory makes absolutely no fucking sense in the context of the film
>anyone who believes in the theory is an idiot
>realize ridley scott is a george lucas-tier hack fraud

Theatrical. VO is the pleb filter.

>realize ridley scott is a george lucas-tier hack fraud
It's like he only makes good movies by mistake

Director's, it's 99% the same BUT it doesn't have the gross overcorrected colors and it keeps the classic I WANT MORE LIFE FUCKER line

to be perfectly honest, the only movie I liked from him is Alien. Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, and especially the Martian are all trash.

Completely fucking random, but for some reason, I thought for the longest time Ridley Scott played Alliser Thorne in Game of Thrones. Anyone else ever thought this?

"I want more life father" is the superior line. Part of the reason why the workprint is better.

Workprint version is the superior version and anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong.

lol ok

redpill me on the workprint tho

The work print is the patrician's choice

I'm so glad I read the book first.
Director's cut is great and I understand why so much was left out.

The unicorn origami is meant to imply that Gaff is letting them get away (or at least giving them a headstart).

Riddley only added the dream unicorn scene to reinforce his pet idea that Deckard is a replicant, but literally nothing supports it other than Riddley's word.

This is proof that retarded GoTfags do not comprehend Ridley's kinography and are the ones who taint the treads by spouting hurr Brade runner was so boring

Caring if replicant is a deckard or not is pleb tier, it's actual reddit tier fan theorizing. Like how tf do youll niggas have time to think about this shit, don't you have a watchlist or nah.

>muh Memories

ive only seen the final cut recently and can barely remember the theatrical version i saw years ago
that unicorn dream felt so out of place and out of character
now i know why
why must ridley ruin everything
>most talked about aspect of the story for years
>extremely controversial
>polarising
>effects the narrative a great deal
>effects the sequel which releases in a matter of days
>effects the integrity of the director
>is one reason for a new cut of a film with 4 cuts already
i just realised you were baiting and i wasted my time

In the director's cut when roy dies, he says to deckard "are YOU sure youre a man?" Which implies that he is a replicant.

>realize that the theory makes absolutely no fucking sense in the context of the film
This explanation seems to make a lot of sense to me:
Wired: It was never on paper that Deckard is a replicant.
Scott: It was, actually. That's the whole point of Gaff, the guy who makes origami and leaves little matchstick figures around. He doesn't like Deckard, and we don't really know why. If you take for granted for a moment that, let's say, Deckard is a Nexus 7, he probably has an unknown life span and therefore is starting to get awfully human. Gaff, at the very end, leaves an origami, which is a piece of silver paper you might find in a cigarette packet, and it's a unicorn. Now, the unicorn in Deckard's daydream tells me that Deckard wouldn't normally talk about such a thing to anyone. If Gaff knew about that, it's Gaff's message to say, "I've read your file, mate." That relates to Deckard's first speech to Rachael when he says, "That's not your imagination, that's Tyrell's niece's daydream." And he describes a little spider on a bush outside the window. The spider is an implanted piece of imagination. And therefore Deckard, too, has imagination and even history implanted in his head.

>line is meant to put a fullstop to the films main question which is 'what makes a human a human and an android not a human'
>people extrapolate it to mean the literal question
>omg wait so deck is a ROBOT?!
people ruin things
the ending being that he ran away with a replicant he was in love with despite the fact that she would be dead in a matter of years, and despite the fact that she may very well not love him at all and its entirely him projecting his emotions on to her, is a much more effective ending.
god damn old man ridders is a cancer to his own legacy

thats the only explanation you fucking idiot
and its hamfisted as all fuck
and it relies on a new scene

Thoughts on this?

Theatrical.

some nice animation here and there but really its just a generic anime short. pretty boring and unfeeling

Nah. Fucker raised the tension a lot more. Father was a lame made for TV line.

Okay, now consider literally every other element of the movie and the theory begins to fall apart.

The final cut and the director's cut are basically the same except the final cut fixed all of the glaring flaws like the dove scene and Zhora's death scene. The final cut is by far the best cut.

I didn't realize there had to be more than one explanation in order for something to be true.

>This explanation seems to make a lot of sense to me
sure sounds like it
also good job ignoring
>it relies on a new scene

So what did you think of Blade Runner? If you ignore Ridley, it's an incredible film.

How does Gaff know about the unicorn if Deckard isn't a replicant?

>Ridley Scott is such a hack that he has to put out multiple versions of a film

I don't see why relying on a new scene makes it any less valid. Ridley Scott put that scene in for a reason.

Reminder Ridley just directed Blade Runner, the script was written by Hampton Fancher and David Peoples. Ignore Ridley and his "Deckard is a replicant" bullshit. A lot of people hate the unicorn scene because of Ridley's stupid explanation but if you get rid of his bullshit explanation you can come up with an interesting theory that isn't "Deckard is a replicant." This is why sometimes directors shouldn't explain their films.

yeah. because people were asking him all the time if deckard was a replicant because of a line in one of the cuts and he wanted to market the film for the 5th time while doing the classic old man ridley and making something interesting literal and beige

See

International/theatrical is Kino.

You have to be versed in 40's detective cinema to appreciate it.

the unicorn dream is. an. added. scene.
it isnt in the original

>They made a weak ass replicant to hunt strong as fuck monsters
Make sense.

Oh I don't think it aged well, at all. I really want to like it, but I've seen so many scifi movies and games take what Blade Runner initiated and did it so much better. I never found it boring, I found a lot of amusement in just looking at the scenery, but so much of the movie feels so "empty" on a thematic level. Like, the movie never reaches any sufficiently meaningful point in regards to any of its themes: human/replicant relationships, what it means to be a human, ect. I'm sure if I were to watch it at the time it came out I wouldn't be saying this but we now live in a world which has the Matrix and the Neuromancer, both of which have way more developed themes than Blade Runner.

The one without the unicorns and shitty special effect additions.

B-but they're newer ones.

It's in the Final Cut though, and I'm pretty sure that's the definitive version.

Deckard eyes glows like the other replicant eyes

We don't know but there could be an explanation that isn't "implanted memory". Maybe they once ran into a unicorn on the job. In Blade Runner humanity has come a long way in the world of genetic engineering so it isn't absurd to assume someone created a unicorn.

>we now live in a world which has the Matrix and the Neuromancer, both of which have way more developed themes than Blade Runner.
Come on, I'll admit Neuromancer is deeper than Blade Runner but The Matrix isn't.

the final cut came out AFTER PEOPLE STARTED ASKING QUESTIONS
AND AFTER 4 OTHER FUCKING CUTS
its a cash grab and classic old man ridley ruining his own work
there is NOTING about gaff knowing shit in the other 4 cuts
jesus christ almighty

Every fan should watch International/Directors/Final and choose for themselves.

Theatrical is superceeded by International because all it is is the X-rated cut.

Directors is Ridley's version of the film without the aid of digital effects, the true definitive version for people who value Scott as the primary auteur of Blade Runner (something I would contest) but don't want the work of the special effects team and world design to be disingenuously represented

Final cut is full Lucas-style control to Scott, it is still a good film but it isn't the collaborative effort it once was. Computers were used in the making of this film.

Preferences will go down to your preferred interpretation of Deckard, your thoughts on the Noir trappings of the original release, and how much you value the work of the original special effects team.

i think its very pretty, has great design, great world building, great concepts, but the film itself is just OK
i do, however, refuse to believe that:
a) nobody in this entire universe cleans anything ever
b) everyone lives in complete darkness despite the exterior of the world being a neon lightbulb
c) there are 180ft HD advertisements but everyone uses CRT text only monitors
d) people use polaroids that have 3D technology and 80 times the resolution built into them, but they navigate the photo by clunky voice commands and tron graphics
e) there are flying cars but they look like lego just cos

Theatrical

>Entire premise of the movie is Deckard falling for Rachel as he realizes the horrible implications of being a replicant, and becomes disillusioned in his job
>Ridley Scott retcons it as "He was a replicant all along"

What a hack

The worst thing is he won't shut the fuck up. I don't mind his interpretation of the film, he's free to think whatever he wants. However, I'm sick and tired of him shouting from the rooftops "DECKARD IS A REPLICANT! DECKARD IS A REPLICANT! STOP CALLING HIM HUMAN, HE'S A REPLICANT! REPLICANT! REPLICANT!"

None

I watched the final cut last night, only my second time watching Bladerunner and honestly the movie is kind of dull.

I wonder if them choosing very dreamy music and seemingly emulating the feeling of being just about to fall asleep is supposed to say something about living in that world. Honestly it was quite a perplexing film at times.

It's certainly no 2001

i watched the final cut the other day and it made me dislike the film
the story is worthless if its about a replicant realising he is a replicant while hunting replicants

Honestly I don't really care either way, replicant or not, I found Deckard's story to be the most uninteresting aspect of the film. Would've preferred more focus on Roy Batty's existentialism.

thats what i mean. him being a replicant diverts the existential crisis to deckard, and places roy in the background.
the two main themes should be roy dealing with his short life span and the fact that all of his efforts to change his fate are futile, and the emotional implications attached to running away with something you love that will ultimately meet the same fate.

Yeah I think that would've made for a much more compelling film.

why not both?

Thank you for this post.

I didn't know this movie had so many fucking deleted scenes, even with Holden. If they added in like one or two of them, the Deckard = Replicant thing is untrue, example being the Holden/Deckard conversations. Which makes me think it is complete bullshit because why shoot them otherwise?

the one that the guy says father, not fucker

>Pleb
Final Cut
>Normal People
Director's Cut
>Contrarian
Theatrical
>Patrician
Workprint

Workprint is the only one that's reasonably close to the movie Blade Runner was originally intended to be. No studio-mandated voiceover or happy ending like in the Theatrical, no senile Ridley Scott after-the-fact alterations to the story like in Director's Cut and Final Cut.

which one's the version without the voice overs?

Everything except the theatrical cut.

does that version exist?

thanks

I've watched the Final cut and the Directors cut. Should I watch the Theatrical cut or the Workprint next?

Theatrical

International, than Workprint.

It's such a tough call choosing what to watch first, i'd say Director's, followed by International, than Workprint.

If you liked Directors the best go for Final, if you liked either of the other two better stick with them.