He makes a good point, Sup Forums

He makes a good point, Sup Forums

we've had this thread before. before it goes into shitposting Sup Forums garbage the agreement is that the Kents are the important part

I just can't get over how you white people are so hellbent on fucking yourselves. Like, you are the main contributors in turning your race into a slur. White guilt is fucking hilarious.

It's silly to think that values are environmentally universal. Yes, there are a lot of positive values exemplified more in rural living than they are in urban living. The inverse is also true.

Part of what makes Clark interesting is his fantastic origins meeting his humble, simple childhood and then taking that guy and throwing him back into fantastic scenarios in a big city.

Taking away the rural upbringing takes away some of the believability for his 'boyscout' personality.

You can meet lots of non white people in rural America.

>Mexican and south American migrants
>Black farmers actually exist
>Asian farmers can also be found throughout America, notably those of Japanese ancestry

they just cant think of those kind of diverse people being in the country

>The Kents are the important part

The Kents, if raised in a big city, would be different people though. You're likely to end up with an overworked factory worker than a happy farmer.

>Part of what makes Clark interesting is his fantastic origins meeting his humble, simple childhood and then taking that guy and throwing him back into fantastic scenarios in a big city.
This. People who think that Superman is humble and righteous because he was raised by WHITE farmers are focusing on the wrong descriptor. The Kent's values are derived from their connection to the Earth and their disconnection from the urban entity.

For some reason most people don't realize that the majority of black people in the United States live in the deep south.

Clark's upbringing, however, puts him in the American midwest decades and decades ago. Him seeing non-white person would be like finding Bigfoot.

The only people who live in flyover states are subhuman white trash.

They'd be Aunt May and Uncle Ben.

The Kents' neighbors in New 52 were a black family, Clark even left them the Kent farm after his parents died, do these people even read comics?

But we don't know nearly as much about Uncle Ben's values than we do Pa Kent's.

Where did Uncle Ben even work?

Exactly. Clark Kent would be Peter Parker.

Both are good characters. Both are similar to one another. But both have different values and they owe those values to being raised in different environments.

The milk-drinking, idealistic, 'truth justice and the american way' Superman is something that makes more sense when it comes from Kansas. Peter Parker, however, works as a very good urban variant to Superman's personality. He's a little more worldly, a little more concerned with social things, a little more conflicted with balancing crimefighting with a fast-paced city-inspired lifestyle.

This kind of pisses me off since I'm from Kentucky and even living out in the fucking backwoods I met plenty of other families that weren't white.

Honestly I saw more Asian farmers than white ones. The dentist who lived closer to town was from Pakistan.

Only ever saw one old black guy around the county for the longest time though, he did taxidermy.

>The Kent's values are derived from their connection to the Earth

there's a bunch of stuff there about Superman connected to Earth and all the american ideals about farmers and small towns and stuff to play with.

has there been a elseworlds with supes in the city? is being raised by the waynes the closest?

We know the most important one
>With great power, comes great responsibility

wikipedia implies he's like ex-military or police??

Yeah, I think Pete can be a little more of a jerk but you've got a great point about the city influence.

Retired military police, wasn't it?

>Yeah, I think Pete can be a little more of a jerk

We can blame that on the stress. A city life tends to be a lot more stressful and chaotic than a life in the country. It's the difference between long afternoons sipping lemonade on the front porch and between trying to get through heavy traffic and congested streets just to get back to your apartment.

You'll notice a lot of things if you interact with both people who grew up in the city and people who grew up in the country. Country people tend to be a lot more patient, city people talk faster, etc.

I find it surprising that Mark Waid wouldn't consider all these things. Knowing a character's origins and how that will affect their personality and worldview is an important element of being a convincing writer.

Can't black people be farmers too?

In the New 52 after the Kents died, Clark sold the farm to a family friend.

The way Waid looks at things is extreme. Instead of changing everything that makes Clark the way he is, why not simply introduce new characters into the previously established environment? Why does everyone HAVE to be white in the country? As much as I didn't like Smallville, they had the right idea in simply introducing a character with impact that just so happened to be black. Race should not be the character, it's simply a feature.

Personally I just hate how American centric these writer's viewpoints are. Like they assume everyone reading the comics have this American focused viewpoint of things.

They see it as "white people are in the rural and diversity is in the big urban parts" but in my experience in a lot of places outside the US it is the opposite. More universally rural areas have some pretty key values that are distinct from just race, but I feel like these writers think everything has to do with race for some reason.

Farmers I've talked to in America are not all that different from the ones I know from Cambodia. Mostly I find that they like to complain about the same shit too.

I'm glad Champions is bombing now.

Fuck you, Waid.

This. And I thought women were hard to understand. Shit, white women are like enigmas in riddles.