What is the best way to work through this man's filmography?

What is the best way to work through this man's filmography?

Is that Gordon Ramsey?

What I did was Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Twin Peaks, Fire Walk with me, Twin Peaks the return

Whoa look at his totally unique hair!! This guy is an interesting guy

mulholland drive and wild at heart

you can ignore the rest

Start with his first film, idiot

just dont watch Inland Empire first, it will scare you off.
start with his mainstream stuff first like Blue Velvet

Chronologically from Eraserhead onwards. Then go back and watch the experimental shorts.

Dune. It's the only non-niche shit he's ever done

Maybe the straight story first. It's very un-lynchian, but it's my favourite movie if i want to get comfy

What about eraserhead? Fucking casual.

You mean his flicks?

Yeah, Dune was not done justice. The only bad part of a modern Dune movie would be that people would think it's a Star Wars ripoff, when it is the exact opposite.

>imagine being this fucking pleb

Haven't made it through that. Movie is borderline unwatchable

Blue Velvet > Wild at Heart > Twin Peaks > Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me > Mulholland Dr. > Lost Highway > Eraserhead > Inland Empire > Twin Peaks (Limited Series)

Don't bother with Dune, its incomprehensible. And The Elephant Man can be watched anywhere as its pretty basic and the least "Lynchian"

what annoys me is people who are all "oh, jodorowski's dune would've been amazing" like jodorowski's other stuff has amazing success or any sort of lucid storytelling

it would've been a huge carcrash of egos and nonsense

Jodo's Dune would've been an interesting mess, but it was literally unfilmable.

>a seven-hour psychedelic clusterfuck with Dali
It would've been great.

>Don't bother with Dune, its incomprehensible

Why does everyone always leave out The Straight Story?

How so? It's very straightforward plot wise and also really short.

I haven't seen it yet so I couldn't comment on it. It also wasn't written by him unlike the other ones.

There is so much lore and explanation missing from it, I only knew as much as I did being familiar with the book. There's a reason its his least applauded effort.

>Lynch thread
>its incomprehensible

Dune is deeply flawed, but comfy and cool as fuck.

Blue Velvet is his most overrated flick. Don't forget Straight Story.

holy fuck the absolute state of this place.

there is an extended 3 hour cut of Dune that restores a lot of the missing stuff.

Just skip it. He's incredibly overrated. Watch Lucio Fulci and Ruggero Deodato films instead. Fuck Lynch.

>un-lynchian

I disagree. It might be a lot more optimistic and straight forward than what he usually does but unlike Dune or even Elephant Man it's very much a David Lynch movie.

Dune is incomprehensible in a way that's a detriment to itself, unlike his other works. A project like adapting Dune needs a bit more clarity, unlike Inland Empire, which is perfect the way it is.

>Blue Velvet is his most overrated flick
It's without doubt Lynch's best.
I don't know how you could possibly think anything other than Twin Peaks is the most overrated.
And for films it would obviously be Mulholland Drive - given that that's when critics decided to suck Lynch off.

>90 minutes
wow what a struggle

This.

>comfyfag

gotta start with The Cleveland Show

By never starting.

Lynch is a hack for teenagers to namedrop to feel smart.

Six Men Getting Sick

Also this

>Blue Velvet is his most overrated flick

It's his most accessible of his surreal stuff so it's the one people talk about the most.

For his movies, watch Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet first, the rest you can do in any particular order EXCEPT you should definitely watch Inland Empire last.

Twin Peaks is kind of its own beast, I was first introduced to Lynch through Peaks but I will say the original show is barely representative of his style in the slightest save for a handful of episodes (the ones he directed). It's still great though, and Fire Walk With Me and The Return are both equally as great.

Who isn't a hack by your definition?

Surrealist shit is very hit or miss. Usually miss. It's the ultimate form of poseurdom- it's absolutely disgusting when surrealist movies try to be pretentious and pretend there's some deeper meaning or 'symbolism' to it. No, surrealist shit is inherently stupid as fuck, so make the most out of it by giving wacky weird shit and not waste time on dumb boring exposition and le intellectual narrative.

>Start with Twin Peaks Season 1 and 2, and Fire Walk With Me and the Missing Pieces
>watch all of his films from Eraserhead onwards
>watch Twin Peaks: The Return
>recieve LYNCHING

This

Embarrassing post.

Gonna make a flow chart gimme a sec

I'm just no longer a pleb like you and can form unique opinions. Lynch is a hack and surrealism is often very tasteless, very difficult to get right.

FWWM is his best film.

absolute fucking brainlet

>poseurdom

Your issue is you try to project meaning onto surrealistic imagery. Surrealism is supposed to evoke pure feeling, not logical thoughts that can be written down.

Lynch is a master of producing unique and uncomfortable images that stick with you forever. Watch more experimental cinema and you might break your need for coherent symbolism.

It's true. Brainlets need not apply.

>Watch more experimental cinema and you might break your need for coherent symbolism.
That's the thing, I outgrew this phase at 15. I'm not working off the basis that's necessary for a quality film.

Also, you misunderstood me, because the very thing I was saying is that surrealist shit doesn't need meaning. Yet Lynch hamfists some half baked trash narrative into all of his movies making them much worse. Eraserhead for instance is filled with elementary level symbolism that breaks up the tedium of its boring plot. The only good part is the ending. The first hour was absolutely unnecessary.

Twin Peaks season 3, his magnum opus.

Actually fuck that, its too much work and I'm useless at GIMP. Here's the way to go.

Start with Blue Velvet (more grounded, gets you warmed up) or Eraserhead (Throws you right into the deep end of Lynch's style)

-If you like the groundedness: More Straightforward and emotional? Watch The Straight Story (also The Elephant Man). More weirdness? Wild at Heart

-If you like the surrealness and darkness: Darker and more confusing? Watch Lost Highway. More coherent and easier to digest? Mulholland Drive

--After at least 5 of these, you're ready for Inland Empire, his magnum opus and most unconventional film
*At any point along the way feel free to watch Twin Peaks. It's up or down throughout the first two seasons, but comfy and enjoyable all the way through. The finale is some of Lynch's best work. Then watch Fire Walk With Me, also one of Lynch's best. The you can watch season 3, which, once again, is some of the best and most consistent that Lynch has to offer

*Also at any point along the way you're craving more, watch his short films

*Dune is the only film Lynch considers not his own. Studios destroyed it, but it is still a very entertaining and interesting watch

>I outgrew this phase at 15
Judging by your posts that was like 6 months ago, right?