What was the worst episode of the Golden Age of The Simpsons?

What was the worst episode of the Golden Age of The Simpsons?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_at_the_Bat
youtube.com/watch?v=YE6hKlicTR0
youtube.com/watch?v=Xp_6W07yoSs
youtube.com/watch?v=c_uSeW2-v3E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Marge Be Not Proud.

>What was the worst episode of the Golden Age of The Simpsons?

Not counting season 1 and 2?

Or are you operating under the Golden Age being season 3-8?

If the latter, then "Summer of 4 Foot 2" is infuriatingly bad. Lisa is such an obnoxious cunt in that whole episode, even by Lisa standards.

Or do you not count season 7 as a Golden Age season?

That was a great episode. Sounds like you get all your opinions from that one edgy MRA blogster that hates it.

I'd also say Summer of 4 ft 2. Though it depends since everyone defines Golden Age different. For me its 3 through 9.

It was the beginning of the end for me.

What? That was a great episode with an actual plot that felt real and relatable in contrast to the rest of season 7 which in my book is the start of the end of the golden age (well some episodes as early as in s.5 show signs of the downfall).

Does the clipshows and the138th episode spectacular count? Maybe Deep Space Homer from season 5. It's the first episode apart from the threehouse of horror episodes where things just went too far from reality.

I don't see how. It's not blandly unfunny like a later episode, it's just weirdly straightforward (for the Simpsons) with its story.

To me, this episode was literally the worst among the season 3.
All those baseball players that I don't know at all do constantly nonsense things, and that is retarded as fuck.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_at_the_Bat

Homerpalooza for sure

The Twisted World of Marge Simpson.

It just felt like a future episode, with the whole mafia thing at the end. It was just a really stupid, dull episode.

here's the only good part of the episode.

The one you like most.

Was the season the episode Skinner was an impostor considered part of the golden age? It would be that.

>Season 9
Yeah that's Golden Age

You shut your mouth

Roger Clemens being hypnotized into being a chicken was the highlight of season 3

The episode where Homer becomes a mascot for the Isotopes and everyone moves to Capital City

Clemens and Mattingly were the best in that episode.

The Shary Bobbins episode

The golden age is seasons 1-7, the worst episode from that is Homerpalooza.

I like it as a finale to the series, it has comedy, heartwarming moments and the family plays well off of each other.

Lisa's rival was pretty boring, none of the women characters on this show are particularly interesting, they're too perfect, no flaws or interesting character traits.

it was often considered like the "jumping the shark" of the show actually.

>completely inbred opinion
>tripcode
Checks out

Season 8 is pre-Scully and has as many good episodes as season 7, so I'd count it as Golden Age.

And "The Secret War of Lisa Simpson" works better as a finale than "Summer of 4 ft 8". It hits a lot of the same marks as "Summer" but without Lisa acting like a total bitch and ends with Lisa and Bart coming together and being friends; a more heartfelt ending than what we saw in "Summer".

The one where Bart shoplifts

Steve Sax and his run-in with the law was the best, closely followed by Griffy's grotesquely swollen jaw.

This, how the fuck can you not include You Only Move Twice

We're talking 'soooooooftball

so if I never saw the Simpsons because my parents didn't let me, and by the time I was old enough everybody just told me it sucks, what should I watch? When should I stop?

everyone will say watch seasons 3-8 to but I'd say since it would be your very first time I'd try seasons 1-2 and maybe 9 along with 3-8

Start with season 3 and go up until the end of season 7. Maybe season 8 if you like it. Afterwards, try seasons 1 and 2 because they're quit divided amongst fans with 1 usually being bad or decent and 2 being good or classic. They can be better actually after already knowing the characters so the "eh" jokes have more resonance meanwhile season 3 is already hilarious.
So start with 3-7, 8 has some standouts if you wanna watch it (optional), and 1-2 to round it up.

>Lisa's rival was pretty boring
This is a troll, right?

Start from the beginning, stop when you think something is off.

Meme episode.

homers sideplot was the only interesting thing

That chili cook-off episode with the hot peppers. Horrible pacing, slow as fuck with the jokes

You're crazy man

>Bart's insistence on a hose-soaking
>Milhouse being chased by the FBI
>Jeremy's iron
>Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?

Great episode

That's one of the best in the series. Pleb taste confirmed.

Golden age for me is definitely season 3 to 8. 8 still has mostly good episodes, and I think 9 is very clearly the point where the show becomes at least "different", if not worse.

As for the worst golden age episode... maybe In Marge we Trust from season 8? I can't name a great joke from it. Mr. Sparkle wasn't particularly funny, and feels like something from a newer season. Feel like I've probably missed a hilarious joke that someone's gonna point out to me, though.

This baseball episode has got the highest rating in IMDB, so i watched it with high expectations, but it was really shit.
I bet no one except baseball fags enjoys this episode, to be honest.

i dont care about baseball and i love that episode.

Any lisa episode

Is there a mega link for 1-8?

I thought it was pretty good

>you don't control the birds, you will one day but not now

>lemme get a large box of condoms, bottle of old harper and two disposable enemas
>I don't know what you're planning for tonight homer but count me out

>SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP, MY CAR

Not even mentioning the entire dud scene

He looks like you, poindexter!

Homerpalooza

I also forgot Milhouse's yearbook message

>See you in the car!

>Sounds like you get all your opinions from that one edgy MRA blogster that hates it.
Who now?

>Series of misunderstandings lead Marge to believe that Homer got drunk at the cook off.
>Ends up chewing Homer out for something that he didn't even do.

Marge just pisses me off so much in that episode.

>Season 8 is pre-Scully and has as many good episodes as season 7

Season 8's episodes were too outlandish. Other big episodes like Deep Space Homer were at least prefaced with the real-life Teacher in Space Project.

But Homer fighting the heavyweight world champion because he beat homeless bums? Homer working for a supervillain?

Then there are the assorted weak/bad episodes like Burns, Baby Burns, Hurricane Neddy, Lisa's Date with Density, El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer, The Twisted World of Marge Simpson, the Shary Bobbins episode, Homer's Phobia etc... and don't get me started on Homer's Enemy.

Even The Secret War of Lisa Simpson feels like it could just as easily be from anywhere between seasons 9 and the early teen seasons (the obviously, not golden age seasons). Sure these episodes have great jokes spread throughout the season but individually, i can't call them great episodes and that's why i'll consider it the downfall of The Simpsons and the first season with a decline in quality.

I'm not a fan of season 7 either because a lot of the characterization/jokes don't work for me, but it still at least feels in line with the show. Like, I may not like some episodes but it feels Simpsonsy enough.

Like literally fucking half of 8 I thought was Scully though before I actually started looking up seasons/production codes. If someone thinks 8 is "golden age," masterpiece, "I would fuck this season if it were a woman" and then thinks 9 is total shit then their perspective seems kind of skewed.

Those two seasons feel really similar at points, when 8 isn't trying to do one-off experimental shit. Hell, even when it is, Principal and the Pauper gets shit on at times or misattributed to Scully by people who otherwise seem to love 8, maybe because it aired in season 9.

holy projections Batman

Pretty much this, I can keep going until season 12 myself.

About one joke from that episode required baseball knowledge

I hated it as a kid
Uncomfortable to watch

What was even the point of that episode?

I'm not looking it up so this might not be 100% accurate, but apparently the writer's point was "haha people care too much about things like TV characters and trivial details about them, fuck those guys, amirite?"

Which is sort of weird since of course people care or the show wouldn't be as successful, plus like half the episodes anyway try to make you give a damn about these fictional characters in some way. But I guess if you liked Skinner maybe it'd add to his backstory, maybe. Or just piss you off more.

Fuck you.
youtube.com/watch?v=YE6hKlicTR0

>Since airing, the episode has received mostly positive reviews from television critics. It acquired a Nielsen rating of 9.5, and was the fourth highest-rated show on the Fox network the week it aired.
try harder

It's just... I've watched some episodes and it was referenced only once. Can't be pissed off at something that is stuck in closet and thrown in sea.

How can you dislike The Springfield Files?

Nobody cares about nielsen ratings you colossal retard

Yeah, Summer of 4 ft 2 sucks.

I rewatched it last week.
The jokes aren't very on point but the animation and plot is actually pretty good. Actually it doesn't really seem like an actual Simpsons episode.
Still, is pretty good and not even close to the worst episode.

>Milhouse being chased by the FBI
>I'm telling you, I didn't do it!
>I don't care

That episode seemed especially tone deaf about Lisa's behavior.

>Lisa makes up lies to a bunch of local kids about Bart being a nerd
>Joins the kids in mocking and humiliating him when he tries to make friends
>Bart gets even with Lisa by exposing her lies
>Bart is the bad guy
>Lisa gets a happy ending

Admittedly, I stopped watching during the Scully era (season 12?) but that was the Lisa episode that pissed me off more than any other and felt like the beginning of the end for the series. Even the vegetarian episode ended with Lisa learning a lesson about forcing your beliefs on others. Summer of 4 ft 2 was just her being terrible and the writers not realizing it.

It's a dog eats dog world out there, user. Lisa's commitment for the holidays were about changing herself. If Bart approached to her group then her con would blow up in her face. She was a cunt but a smart cunt.
>Bart is the bad guy
He was a cunt too. He had Milhouse while Lisa never had anyone, and he had to fuck it just because of revenge. Of course I don't expect his character to understand this but you should.
>Lisa gets a happy ending
I don't see how that's a problem.

Every Treehouse of Horror
Every clipshow
Bart the Daredevil because it's the reason Homer get horribly injured became their most important joke.
Homer's Barbershop Quartet because the idea of taking characters without a previously established relationship and giving them a random occupation, leading to them becoming a huge phenomenon is stuuupiiid.
Deep Space Homer because they send fucking Homer into fucking Space.
Lisa's Wedding, because they had no real ideas or jokes in it.

Depends on what you define "Golden age". For me the golden age died after season 4.

Well that's a hot take.

Lisa the babysitter was the only episode to make me feel physically uncomfortable

You're not alone.

>Shitty Tripcode get out of my board
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>no mention of Lisa the Simpson
If we're counting season 9, that one was just awful.

I always thought this was an early season

Dancin' Homer may be it, but I say that very reluctantly. In the commentary though they seem to acknowledge it was more filler than not, hence the flashback to start.

Last exit to Springfield

guaranteed replies

The episode loses steam after Homer awakens from his hallucination. It was a cool premise hampered by the old marriage-crisis cliche.

I need to go through wikipedia sometime and see just how many OUR MARRIAGE IS ON THE ROCKS episodes there are, they really rehashed it once Scully took over and Jean after him.

The worst episode from these seasons is no doubt Season 6's "Another Simpsons Clip Show" another answer is wrong.
That episode is a cheap piece of shit.

I know usually people disregard clip shows when doing worst of lists because they don't really count because we assume they'll be shit but really this clip show is the worst. Worse then any other clip show the Simpsons ever did.

Simpsons threads tend to bring out peoples Mother/Sister/Wife issues, huh

>Lisa makes new friends
>Bart gets salty because it disrupts his status quo
>Starts acting like a spaz
>Lisa calls him a nerd
>Kids laugh at Bart
>Bart goes full /r9k/ and decides to reveal that Lisa reinvented herself for the summer
>Lisa's friends unsurprisingly do not start acting like caricatures and berating their friend for having an interest in science

I don't know what kind of episode you watched. Maybe it was something from season 14.

murp

how do you figure that

that episode is top tier
youtube.com/watch?v=Xp_6W07yoSs
youtube.com/watch?v=c_uSeW2-v3E

The old guy who guest starred, Tierney, was a pretty intense man, wish he had more lines in that episode.

bump

Whacking Day. IDK, it just felt very surreal and un-Simpsons like for some reason.

it was a well written episode it's just hard to watch

You're all idiots.

The Golden Age ended halfway through Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire.

I don't think I'd classify it as the worst, but Bart the Murderer is a little unsettling to watch. I always think the part where he's in prison with Sideshow Bob is a dream segment, but then it isn't and I kind of lose my immersion.

I felt that episode was too dry and lacked enough good jokes. Homer and Milhouse provided almost all of the humor there.

Homer's Enemy

some of the voice actors didn't like that episode because too many guest stars

Dancing Homer. IDK, after the first act they just completely forgot to add any jokes.

Fuck, wrong thread.

If you want to nitpick, Mike Scully was on the writing staff since Season 5.

This is a troll, right?

Did the show retroactively or cast retroactively retcon that episode? I agree though, wasn't a deal breaker but it was a low point for the show.