Am I to believe that the freemarket can make a rocket but not a road?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_UFjK_CFKgA
youtu.be/g79K-R7xTFo
nethelpblog.com/2014/02/top-10-largest-internet-service_12.html
youtube.com/watch?v=BPv0VZcvm4Q
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nedelin_catastrophe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_H._Goddard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_venom
liveleak.com/view?i=e0d_1230842002
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is a company that lives off government subsidies free market?

Does it have to compete for subsidies with other private companies? Then yes.

you mean like this rocket?

The free market makes plenty of roads, have you been to Mexico at all?

That one was intentional

Well you have to admit that explosion was fairly efficient. Most public rockets would have flown off and exploded over everything instead.

here let me intentionally blow up $50 million
Now that i think about it, crazier things have most likley happened

lol. Bad timing for libertarian appeals based on rockets.

I can cherry pick as well.

that was an air strike from a black project vehicle

What did he mean by this?

Who did all the rocket R&D since Goddard?

>Oh, yeah, governments including your beloved Nazis.

did he violate the NAP?

It can do neither

rofl. this is literally being posted right after the SpaceX disaster. cherry-pick all you want, I kinda think OP was being satirical.

I think "The Roads" is a dead end.
Yes private road building contractors exist.
Private planners to build infrastructure from point a to point b exist.
Private means for paying for said roads' construction and maintenance exist.

The real questions are
>Are there market failures?
>If so, what are they?
>How frequently to they occur?
>How much to they affect the surrounding economy?
>How are non rivalrous non excludable goods explained in an entirely free market?

Former ancap btw. Realized that PDAs would just devolve into States, and realized not not all people are rational actors.

>Governments sap up the technicians, scientists, and engineers from the private sector for in-house employment

>Governments still utilized thousands of private contractors for outsourced services

>Once governments let go of control, private markets pick up the slack just fine

NASA literally pays SpaceX to do research for them.
youtube.com/watch?v=_UFjK_CFKgA

That's because NASA was a government project and not a civilian enterprise.

But given the wealth a person could be capable.
The NASA budget is 19 billion. Mark Zuckerberg's is 54 billion.

That's just embarrassing. Why doesn't he have people on staff to troubleshoot his shitty rocket? Why the crowd sourcing?

The free market can make a rocket. Just not a lot of them.
The free market can also make roads (and they have). Just not a lot of them.

>what is eminent domain

Why not?

The private market can make anything, but the question is can they make it bigger or can they sustain it?

Risk (at least for the rockets.)

Well they've built everything around you. Seems large enough.

>But given the wealth a person could be capable.

In 5th grade I learned about these novel things called
>corporations
which combines the ability to raise large amounts of capital from hundreds of people with limited liability to the owners.

There's risk in anything you do. You could cross the street tomorrow and get hit by a car.

The satellite alone was 200 million.

Think of ISPs.
We have a lot of ISPs, don't we?
We don't.
They build a lot of infrastructure, right?
They don't.

You can see this example globally. A sufficiently large infrastructure is going to dominated by a few key players. Those few key players control the market and implicitly work together to raise the return rate.

Generally this results in a suboptimal infrastructure.

NASA had similar problems in its early years.
youtu.be/g79K-R7xTFo

Toll roads are a pain, and public roads don't bring in revenue.

There are no free markets in the US.

Thanks for helping me prove both our points.

Given the money. Ergo a corporation could do it.

What about in the Bahamas?

I believe the only real example where there is actual competition in huge markets is the defense industry.
Massive protectionism results in the government occasionally requesting a product of its domestic market, which is only ever awarded to one contractor (joints are rare). This results in actual competition between large corporations.

Maybe I should have stated this:
I'm not against the government doing R+D or space exploration.

>Generally this results in a suboptimal infrastructure.

You mean like America`s ruined roads.

Just because the free market can fail doesn't mean the government can't also fail.

Is it going to get attacked by 911 orbs this time?

The real question is not could they do it or should they do it. The question is if a private company could complete such a process why couldn`t a private company build the roads.

I like NASA just saying.

leave my free market alone you crony capitalists REEEE

>Just because the free market can fail doesn't mean the government can't also fail.

Both can fail. We know that.

But there`s greater competition in business.

>Germany
>Free market

Wew lad.

The task of building roads was enumerated to the government according to the Constitution.
It might work differently in Canada, but the founding fathers apparently had good reason to prevent private organizations from making roads.
It probably had to do with interstate, taxation, and tolls.

The free market works on the basis of competition. Public works doesn't (necessarily), so the concept of competition to public works is basically irrelevant.

Am I to believe that the freemarket can invade a country but not police a neighbourhood?

364 days of the year you guys advocate for state rights except for September 11, 2016.

It probably had to do with government being a poorly run business that wanted the colonizers money.

The Government invaded Afghanistan. Not the corporations. They did need to hire someone to do a job though no doubt about it.

My family member works on one of those space x systems. Idk if it's that one but he got into a bit of trouble for the last one that exploded

also... fuck that ufo that blew that shit up

ayyylmaos

>We have a lot of ISPs, don't we? We don't.

At least 10 with over a million subscribers.
The nature of the market is oligopolistic, and even though from its monopolistic start
>springing from the breakup of the (government mandated) Bell Telecom monopoly
to its various mergers, we have at least 10 firms in the US with over a million subscribers
nethelpblog.com/2014/02/top-10-largest-internet-service_12.html

>They build a lot of infrastructure, right? They don't.
Complex networks of terrestrial and submarine fiber optic cables criss crossing the earth?

Regardless of the absurdly bad timing of this thread, how does competition even work for roads? You can't really build multiple roads out of my driveway, without destroying my neighborhood.

do they talk about their salary?
I'd like to know how much rocket scientists make and what they're vaction time and work hours are like

>The Congress shall have Power To

>To establish Post Offices and post Roads

This doesn't exclude states, cities, or private companies from establishing roads.

Quality and price.

Like literally everything else for sale.

Once again, I can get on only one road out of my driveway. Whoever owns it has a monopoly.

For scented razor blades and fiat moni?

Yeah and the government owns your road right now and there`s only one price available; that`s why you pay taxes to pay for the government that pays for the road.

so much fucking greed everywhere.

That's right. But I get to go to City Council meetings and vote for my representatives. Do I automatically get on the board of directors of whoever owns the road outside my driveway in a libertarian system?

Oh say ye sinless stone thrower how is it that everyone but you is greedy?

Not all free market environments require perfect market competition.

>Property owners from a given area given a pitch by roadmaker A

>They are given pitch by roadmaker B

>property owners enter into agreement with other property owners for how to handle communal decisions

>Holding company set up for the set of properties

>Each property owner can purchase multiple shares

>Bylaws can prevent collusion or conflicts of interest

>Private arbitration also plays a factor

>Largest shareholders make decision of which roadmaker and road plan to use

Corporations make more complex decisions on a global scale every day.

Do the property owners who are given a pitch own the land the road is to go on in the first place? If so, what if one person in my neighborhood refuses? The road wouldn't be complete or connected to anything, than. If the property owners don't own the land the road is to go on, why do they have any say in who does own it, and by what entities determination?

>If so, what if one person in my neighborhood refuses?

You make it seem as if everyone is perfectly fine with the taxes they`re currently paying.

Of course they aren't. But if they aren't, I can still get to work and make a living. Under the current system.

Leafs are the niggers of shitposting.
Prove me wrong.

Fuck off Yanis Varoufakis u commie shit.

That`s like saying that your current phone plan works fine but it`s the only available option and there are no better options for less money in the future.

That's why I think the system wouldn't work if we were just dealing with individual property owners as legal primaries, but through entities that they would agree to be a part of, that would operate on their behalf.

>TFW I'm a right wing capitalist that agrees with Varoufakis on monetary policy

It's more like if I was offered an alternative phone plan which required all my neighbors to sign onto it, or I'd have no options for phone service at all.

Yes. And if you managed to believe that the next bigger thing is believing the vast majority of tax moneys get funneled back to the good of society via schools, road, healthcare, police and what not instead of being funneled to the friends of the party and party members.
After that you are a good goy.

They're only crowd sourcing for additional footage
He's just answering a question there

A corporation won't do it, though. ROI is really poor unless enough R&D has already been done by the state beforehand. It's the same with literally everything that requires large amounts of technological and scientific advancement to work.

>Am I to believe that the freemarket can make a rocket but not a road? A

The "free market" hasn't made a rocket.

Ever.

SpaceX is in receipt of State funding.

>Elon Musk
>free market

Pick one. Mr. Mars is the white equivalent of black science man who says retarded shit that a 14 year old would say on an acid trip after watching the Matrix for the first time.

None of his companies can turn a profit and he is such a joke and a swindler of govt. money he might as well put on a yamulka.

Elon Musk is the best con since the Holocaust.

beat me to it, ya bastid.

Spacex didn't invent the rocket, or any of the supporting infrastructure technologies. A capitalist big govt and a single party communist state did.

thunderf00t's got a pretty good video about it. as i remember it, he estimates that about 1% of the fuel capacity mixed in the second stage rocket for that explosion, or something on the order of 300kg. that's compared to something like 400,000kg. I wouldn't call that efficient, I would call that far weaker than what could have been...

youtube.com/watch?v=BPv0VZcvm4Q

By contrast, what could have been:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nedelin_catastrophe

A rocket requires less infrastructure than an interstate highway. Plus they're doing it with government money

Actually, a lone researcher invented the rocket engine, not big government.

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams

Falcon 9 weighs 4.5 times more than the rocket in the Nedelin accident

This was a far larger explosion than the former; the difference was that there was nobody on the pad to be incinerated this time

Yeah one guy's invention of a firecracker totally scaled up to the size of a space craft without billions in high risk investment and millions of man hours, funded by taxpayer money.

The government doesn`t invent things.

>Actually, a lone researcher invented the rocket engine, not big government.

hahaha

Kill yourselves.
>Robert Hutchings Goddard (October 5, 1882 – August 10, 1945) was an American engineer, professor, physicist, and inventor who is credited with creating and building the world's first liquid-fueled rocket
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_H._Goddard

Well, that, and the fuel was different.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_venom

Kerosene's a lot safer than hydrazine and nitric acid

that rocket was due to be hit by a hurricane within two days and it wasn't insured for that. Accidents however, where covered.

>>Robert Hutchings Goddard

hahahahah

The soviet scientists weren't killed by the toxicity of the fuel, they were killed by the explosion.

I think you mean (((rocket)))

that one was carrying the kike satellite.

it was insured for accident, not hurricane which hit two days later.

Oh, the """"scientists"""" lived because they were (((coincidentally))) out having a cigarette in a smoking shed far away when the disaster happened.

Most of the workers, on the other hand, survived the initial explosion. They were killed either by poison fumes, or burning to death as they tried to fight the fire. Dozens were burned as they attempted to escape, but were trapped by a security fence designed to keep American spies from getting close enough to see the rocket.

liveleak.com/view?i=e0d_1230842002

The rocket was worth about 50 million dollars.

The satellite was worth about 200 million.

One person to invent something, thousands to make it actually usable.