What's the appeal to this guy?

What's the appeal to this guy?

He just seems to pick fights and get his ass beat on the regular.

He was a product of the macho action movie 80's anti-hero meme

It doesn't really make sense in 2016

>He just seems to pick fights and get his ass beat on the regular.
Hell yeah. You got it in one, bub.

He's the brother of the swamp thing

Compared to how the DC super heroes were paragons of one sort or another and even though most of the Marvel heroes up to that point were portrayed as more 'realistic' with everyday problems, Wolverine broke the mold of the day by being a cigar chomping not-very-nice knuckle dragging hardass. Sure he still fought bad guys but he did so with a bunch of fucking knife blades on his hands instead of web-shooters or tricks to incapacitate his foes. Even just punching out the villains was more permissible.

Also, I imagine him being around more heroic people was a good contrast at the time, until his form of archetype caught on and was done to death.

GONNA

I liked that he was an underdog, when he was knocked down he got back up. Later it just didn't make sense to me that everyone was scared of him... and the whole "best there is at what I do.." what was it you do again? get your ass handed to you to establish some Mary/Gary Sue and for some reason everyone is afraid of you? When he's written well (...and it's few and far between) he's pretty awesome, but other than that I have to say he has been a pretty crappily written character. I have to say that it's pretty impressive he stayed this long considering he seemed like a throwaway character to fight the Hulk/Wendigo.

He was actually huge before that too.

How does Wolverine get his ass beat anyway?

He's practically unkillable to most of his foes, especially any average goon. And he can slice through pretty much anything. How can he lose?

He's just a legacy character at this point. They balanced him well in the 70's and 80's x-men stories. He had some solid solo stories in the 80's as well. X-men was huge in the 90's. He's just kinda a thing now. Everyone knows him. He doesn't have any genuine appeal in his lore or storylines.

Before the 80s? Yes. Before the action movie anti-hero craze? No.

he is Marvel Hawkman but without the convoluted backstory

He gets stomped into a pile and his opponent declares himself the winner before he regenerates.

>He just seems to pick fights and get his ass beat on the regular

yep

Wolverine #1-4, Uncanny X-Men #172-173
kek

Go read Uncanny X-Men # 133

>without the convoluted backstory
ok

Shut the fuck up. No one knows where Logan was or what he was doing before Alpha flight found him.

No one knows anything about Logan's past other than the BWS stuff

I can't. Readcomiconline is down.

He's basically a way for manlets to vicariously be a respected badass who is inexplicably able to make all the most high-caliber women in the world his personal cockslaves.

Wait I might have said the wrong issue It is either 131 and 132 or 132 and 133.

We're not talking about Spider-Man.

He is great during the brood saga as well. I never liked him until I read Claremont.

The bigger mystery is Deadpool, how a bad copy of Deathstroke became a modern comedy icon.

I'M A MANLET!
YOU'RE A MANLET!
HE'S A MANLET!
WE'RE ALL MANLETS!
WOULDN'T YOU LIKE TO BE A MANLET TOO!

Except that he doesn't get cucked, he' the cucker.

He was a loner (before he joined every team book ever. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they brought him back and made him a Guardian of the Galaxy.)

He was pretty miserable at times.

Sometimes his life seemed to revolve around fucking women, fighting and drinking and I guess sometimes you wish you could live that life but you're too intimidated what "they" expect from you and their judgment.

He was a good character and pretty unique in his early years. Then they over-saturated the market with him and thew him into every marvel franchise possible and he became a casual normie memehero

He was largely a product of the cultural 1980's and has all the personality traits of the stereotypical action hero with some added shit from Japan (also popular in the 1980's) and the minor tag that he's Canadian and not American.

Despite all this he actually used to be interesting and decently written during this period before the 90's ruined his character along with every other X-Man character.

Well originally his powers were not nearly no potent as they are today.
His healing factor really was exactly that; an improved HEALING factor (as opposed to true regeneration) that basically let him recover faster from any injury that it was physically possible for him to recover from as well as cured poisons and diseases and stuff.
Anything that didn't kill him pretty quick he WOULD get back up from eventually, but his healing speed was directly proportionate to the degree of injury he sustained so is you sliced his guts open or impaled him through his ribs he'd live and bounce back eventually (neither injury is usually immediately fatal after all) but he'd also be out of the fight too.
Conversely, doing shit like absolutely killing him (causing repeated trauma to him until his body failed and not waiting for him to heal) or removing his organs entirely would be fatal as he couldn't recover from death.

But after the 90's his regeneration got stupid powerful and his character balance just went right out the window along with any nuance about his character whatsoever.

It's almost like only Claremont knew how to write these characters or something.

Secretly we all want to pull off huge mutton chop sideburns

Ironically his "lone super-senses claw-using badass" personality traits are all borrowed from another character, namely Timber Wolf from DC's Legion of Super-Heroes (which the X-Men designs were originally going to be a part of anyway).
His backstory ended up being completely different over time though as Claremont and other writers added bits to him to help distinguish him from the character he was originally based off of.

Observe; his hair is basically identical and his attitude and personality is pretty much the same, and Wolverine even steals the costume of a dead Marvel expy of his (one of the Shi'ar Imperial Guard) and then later adopts a costume of a similar color scheme.

Cockrum.