Censoring toons

hi i'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to cartoons, i stopped watching for a while and have been watching some popular ones recently. I was watching Regular Show (for the second time) and came across a scene in which Mordecai supposedly says "you pissed me off" but it got changed to "you ticked me off" or something in the version i was watching.

Another thing that bothers me is that so many writers would rather place adult-ish characters in childish situations in order to make it more mature (i guess?). My major example is Gravity Falls in which Dipper is pretty much a 21 year old guy, both in voice and character. The bit of maturity the show had was (imo) because it just seemed like these were adults interacting, not children. If real children were faced with these challenges they would probably shit their pants or have a hard time even comprehending what was happening.

Aside from these specific situations, i just find violence (for example) to be a much less recurring theme when it perhaps should exist in some cartoons that want to portray, well, violence. and when it does show up it's like a tiny drop of blood escaping someone's nostril.

the people making these shows don't want to show kids something nasty and that's fair but everyone on the planet knows that kids shouldnt be underestimated regarding what you show them. Some of my favourite shows and films growing up were the ones that didnt refuse to show real life problems or violence. It looks like creators are trying to make smart sensitive cartoons but at the same time refuse to show non kid friendly things, and it tires me to have to watch another episode with the same stupid message about self identity or some other tame subject that is being treated like it's super serious. If kids want explicit content they can just read childrens books, a lot of them have really graphic violence and depressing themes
(1/2)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/V8YIYpwz6jo
youtube.com/watch?v=Vg2PaVMEqwU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

(2/2)
The old goofy cartoons (the ones where every character was goofy) had shit tons of violence and nobody cared. There was an episode with an adultery joke and a women drivers joke and it was funny, and once again nobody really cared. Secret of NIMH was sweet and it was really gloomy except for the very end, i used to watch it many years ago with other kids when we got together at someones house.
Does anyone remember that Redwall cartoon? It wasn't super good but it was cute and very popular when it was airing. nevermind the fact that someone died every 2 episodes either by falling and breaking their bones or being pierced by medieval weaponry, also it had an entire season dedicated to the theme of child slavery.

Other shit like old Disney nazi propaganda parodies, violence in old Disney and WB shows, and probably more funny ones that i cant remember would never appear on tv today. dont know what happened, i thought people fought for freedom of speech and expressing themselves but it seems to have gone full circle. I dont want violence in every single cartoon and i'm not sadistic or anything, but some of the fight sequences and ""intense"" moments in action shows like Steven Universe (which i think is alright besides this complaint) are just so silly and uh cartoony to the being where i cannot feel stressed/on the edge/worried for any of these characters. It's a bunch of adobe flash symbols moving around, it doesn't feel real. In that sense, i would appreciate if cartoons took some notes from anime (although i am not a huge fan of anime).
Not everything needs to be grimdark but kids would be more convinced that cartoons are fighting eachother if they could see the effect that the fighting has on them. i think they would be more invested emotionally for sure.

this is straight up blog tier post but it just bothers me so much that i had to vomit a wall of text on an action-man roleplaying imageboard. maybe im watching the wrong shows, please tell me so if

What is with you people and complaining about World War 2 cartoons not getting broadcast anymore. Why the fuck would you keep them in regular circulation? It's not cause they're "scared" or "censoring". They have no goddamn place in CN's Bugs & Daffy Power Hour.

It was government propaganda. They were never, ever part of any syndication package. They are readily available and are broadcast when a Turner channel is going a WWII themed slot or something.

>They have no goddamn place in CN's Bugs & Daffy Power Hour
a block like that doesn't even exist though on CN

Also do some more research. You really don't know much about cartoons. Steven Universe = flash symbols? Are you kidding me? They hand draw that shit

>My major example is Gravity Falls in which Dipper is pretty much a 21 year old guy, both in voice and character.
You see, the trick of kid fiction is not to feature character of their age, but but how kids of their age wish they would behave.

>My major example is Gravity Falls in which Dipper is pretty much a 21 year old guy,

Look, I get that millennials tend to be emotionally retarded but just how crippled were the 13 year olds you grew up with?

That pissed/ticked one reminds me of an example.
In the Foster's movie "Destination Imagination," there is originally a point when Bloo says "You pissed him off, that's what's happening!"
Then it got censored into "ticked" as well.

Regular show used "piss" and "damn" in its first run, but CN pussed out.

I agree, it's so weird, it's almost like there's some kind of set of regulations and policies that restrict the amount of violence and mature themes that can be broadcast on national television.

fuck you nerds

I can somewhat understand the censorship of "damn", but how the fuck is "Pissed" a bad word?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that anything in the "Seven Words You Can't Say on Television" is still at least barred from children's TV.
Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits

I've heard tits on a couple of PG-13 shows.

Like what?

>The old goofy cartoons (the ones where every character was goofy)

What the fuck are you talking about? What are "the old goofy cartoons where every character was goofy"? Do you mean the shorts with the disney character named "goofy"? Because if so, you're a fucking retard for trying to compare theatrical shorts to television cartoons that are intended to be safe for children.

Way too fucking long, didn't read. I did see the Regular Show part, you'd be shocked to find out what the UK did to the show. It's basically the equivalent of Teen Titans Go, get rid of any funny jokes, any slight insult, and a lot of action.

The show has suffered in the UK a lot, sometimes the episodes don't make sense because they remove plot points for no reason, they get the actors here in the states to rerecord lines in a different script, and some scenes are completely reanimated which puts the team behind.

does any cartoon character said "CRAP"?

>not knowing what production sketches are

>or have a hard time even comprehending what was happening.

That's why children are resilient. Unlike adults kids will make up scenarios to explain their predicament while adults will either rationalize it or break down completely. Kids will stay calm where adults panic and you can see the effects in war survivors.

Helga Pataki? I remember parents in the early internet complaining about it.

"tits" is one of them? Compared to the other ones isn't it like totally harmless?
Or is it more that kids could hear- god forbid!- that breasts exist? Like, is "breasts" acceptable or are mammaries in general a no-no?

Blame George Carlin.
Finn from Adventure Time, Heather (and likely others) from Total Drama

That Dexter episode with the dodgeball, but I think it got cut after the first airing, dunno if DVDs have the first version.

I also remember the first time that episode of Gumball aired where they're trying to get the daisy donkey movie home so they can watch it with aniese, and at the very end when she says she doesnt want to watch anymore, gumball goes "Thank god", but was later turned to "Thank gosh." I can sorta understand that though.

>not knowing that it is actually hand drawn
youtu.be/V8YIYpwz6jo

I remember when this first aired
had a totally different joke.

Its why Lovejoy was upset considering the edit is fairly inoffensive

why does it look like shit though

>Helga Pataki
Yeah, she said "crap" twice during the show.
First being the girls sleepover episode and then the love potion episode.
youtube.com/watch?v=Vg2PaVMEqwU