>new episode tonight/tomorrow
>no general in the catalog

wtf why aren't you hyped, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/DIS_Season_1
ew.com/tv/2017/09/29/star-trek-discovery-anthony-rapp/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>STD

I'm unironically hyped, I loved the first two episodes.

But it's /STD/.

It's too similar to STDS9

YOU'RE ONLY ALLOWED TO BE HYPED FOR /OURSHOW/ ORVILLE

I'm going to keep watching it, but I won't be hyped at any point unless they start doing episodic stuff.

>/DIS/
hahaha triggered. It's STD

>an entire episode about gender issues only three episodes on
>"/ourshow/"
no. enough with the damage control.

So how many of you actually subscribed to CBS?

Most of us torrent or get it on Netflix already. I feel bad for Americans, I really do.

Well they kept engineering similar to the TOS design

Well, tomorrow will see the introduction of the titular ship and possibly some nice sci fi horror.

From what I've seen they've got a nice looking engineering set, combining elements of both, ENT and TOS.

Doncha think that one's getting a bit old now? Every single thread, man. Too bad even RLM felt it necessary to make that "joke".

Can't wait to see the main crew

see:
Yeah, the "tunnel" part of TOS along with the submarine-like feel (oblong layout, grating on the floor etc.) of ENT.

Looking forward to the next dose of STD

Yeah. Unironically looking forward to seeing Anthony Rapp's character. Rapp seems like a cool guy.

You're so clever and witty. We haven't heard this joke a thousand times before.

Fuck off.

Which characters (apart from Michael) will transfer to the USS Discovery?

I don't remember TOS looking like that

the doctor (who was only seen in the pilot for some ten seconds) and Saru.

Different colors, similar style

They actually had the room lights on in TOS.

They released a scene set in engineering yesterday (when Burnham first meets Stamets).
The set is well lit.

>Saru

aka the Spock/Data of our generation

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/DIS_Season_1

Remember memesters, it will never, ever be "STD" no matter how hard you try to force it.

Anyone who uses DIS is a shill, no exceptions

>The set is well lit.

how does that come to be? is the ship being attacked by some photonic lifeform?

I kind of dig the incredibly weird and uncomfortable vibe they seem to be setting up with the Discovery. I want to see where that goes.

Can be seen here
ew.com/tv/2017/09/29/star-trek-discovery-anthony-rapp/

Shadowy corners, just like TOS engineering, but I think it's okay. I don't mind a bit of contrast.

>see the introduction of the titular ship and >possibly some nice sci fi horror.
- EWW.
- And why did they take 3 episodes to introduce the main ship? This must be the production problems they were rumored.

this series gives me STD
oh wait thats the name of it

Well I for one usually call it DSC.

>And why did they take 3 episodes to introduce the main ship? This must be the production problems they were rumored.

...are you retarded?

I suppose you haven't seen the first two episodes. So why even ask. Faggot.

And only Orville shills call it STD

Bazinga!

ha ha you guys are gonna get sued by the Discovery Channel and The Disney Channel if you don't stake out your own identity. I suggest using "STD"

STD you fucking shill

Because the first two episodes are a prologue

I hate the Michael character so much. This show was the biggest mistake in Star Trek history. I gave it a a chance.

Like Voyager was obviously always known as STV and Enterprise as STE. And how could anyone forget about STDS9.
Right? Right.

That's what we thought about Dougie Jones. You're gonna get LYNCHED

I don't understand why is so dark.
tv SciFi sets are usually dark because that way you can hide how cheap they are, but this is not the case.

STD will be a thing whether you like it or not

Right, now accept the inevitable outcome and call it STD.

Star Trek: Diversity

I suppose it's so the glowy room in on the left stands out more.
In TNG you had glowing panels everywhere and of course they never caught your attention cause they were simply there.
In this case their taking the cinematic approach of guiding your attention.
Now, of course in a feature film you'd do that so that stuff can be grasped really quickly in the relatively short time the format provides.

The real problem is that it's sorta unnecessary for a TV show where you COULD take the time to explain stuff through dialogue or by just showing things "in action" without them being of immediate importance in a Chekhovian sense.

>falseflagging this bad

Like TOS was called "The Original Series" when it aired?

"Hey here's tonights episode of Star Trek, the original series, or TOS for short, enjoy"

There's no set rule, it's just whatever it becomes known as.

STD it is. Just accept it.

If it just weren't so utterly puerile. I hope you get tired soon.

>Star Trek: Diversity

That's the original series

By are you lying, cbs?

samefag spotted

It's not a joke, "STD" is just what stuck. It's what I was calling it before I realized anyone was even upset about it.

Isn't it supposed to be called STD?

>an entire episode on gender issues
>not SJW
mental gymnastics.

I really enjoyed the Sarek scenes. Down to the polite banter and mannerisms, this felt like the first time since TOS and some instances of TNG, where I got to see the kind of Vulcan I grew to enjoy. Not the no-fun-allowed asshole Vulcans from Enterprise or dreary Tuvok. Kudos to both the actor and the writer of these scenes.

everyone with half a brain immediately discarded STD as a stupid abbreviation. Now it just serves as a flag for those who I normally wouldn't even bother replying to.

>all those nerds getting triggered because anons mock their show by calling it STD

Star Trek's threads are going to be funny again, I hope the series does well.

Dunno. James Frain's performance gave me nothing.

Halfway into the first episode now.

Why are the Klingons space Egyptians instead of Mongols now? Why did they put their dead in sacrophages when Klingons don't care about dead bodies? Why do they sound retarded now?

What the entire fuck. I like the show so far (except the spinning camera shots), but why did they not just create a new alien species instead of redoing Klingons in the worst way?

Or do they explain this change later on?

>forced diversity and sjw pandering
>not STD of human society
STD is a fitting name for diversity propaganda

I think you just got to look at it as "sci fi drama in space with some of the same names as a show called star trek".

They really have shit all over the franchise tbqfhfam

why is her name Michael?

I mean I'm more than fine with the new alien species and their ships, even their suits are pretty funky, but they are as distant from Klingons as humans are to andorians.

Really? Different strokes, I guess.

On another note, I wasn't all that hot on the title theme. It didn't really feel like a single music track, but like a string of different random tidbits played one after another before it can settle on one, down to the iconic TOS fanfare at the end thrown in like an afterthought.

>Or do they explain this change later on?
The production team keeps saying they will. So far, I'm not convinced. But canon issues aside (holographic communication everywhere all the time!), I have to say that my favorite scene in those two episodes came right after the opening credits and struck me as VERY "trekky" since it's just a couple of people trying to figure out what they're looking at. And I really hope we'll get more of that.

What sucks is all that in-your-face expository dialogue. But hey, the next episodes will obviously have more room for "proper" exposition since Burnham will have to get to know the crew of the Discovery just as the audience does.

Because her parents gave her that name?

Because the captain's name is Gabriel

its a tranny

>wtf why aren't you hyped, Sup Forums?

What are you talking about? I'm hyped af! Think I'll probably rewatch the pilot before the next episode airs.

Also, I have the first episode of Orville a watch, and it was pretty good, but the only reason that formula works right now is because of its strange, comical take on the genre. It's trying to do something new just as Discovery, but Orville has, by this community's judgement, cuter girls, so of course they shit on Discovery.

>mfw I still can't believe two female members of starfleet tried to take on a ship full of blood thirsty klingons by themselves

if we're talking about stereotypes here, a stronk black woman and a kung fu lady would be the mostly likely to die last instead of first.

fuck me, man ... i really hope captain georgiou plays a larger role in this series somehow. she's a great addition to the franchise. maybe she'll make more appearances in flashbacks as michael reflects on the 7 years of experience she gained while serving on the shenzhou. their interaction had an interesting dynamic. i would've liked to have seen that relationship grow.

The Klingons are different for the same reason the original series and later Klingons are completely different and incompatible with each other, fan fiction grade explanation they added thirty years after fact notwithstanding

They wanted to do a different take on them, so they did.

isnt that show made by the familyguy jew?

This show blows. Its for low T, low attention span drooling idiots.

this, i cringe every time they say it

I am actually hyped, first real episode of Star Trek in over a decade.

Ausfag here, how long till Trek is on all access in the US so I can just pirate it from Megafag here.
Should I stay up a few more hours or should I just go to bed? It's near 1am here.

>not having Netflix

Title theme was a definite weak spot. The visuals were fine but the theme is really bland. In a thread some days ago, one user called it "not-quite-Philip Glass" and that's exactly the vibe I get from it.

now, when it comes to vulcans, to me there are, like, two "schools of Vulcan performance". One of them would be the Leonard Nimoy/Mark Lenard-school, where they would act very subdued but never so entirely devoid of emotion that it might strike you as one-note.
The other one would be the Tim Russ-school. While I still liked Tim Russ as Tuvok, he set the tone for all Vulcans that would follow and that was the somewhat "bitchy" style, where the character would always seem annoyed. And Frain came across as one of those except for one little moment during the flashback scene shown in the screenshot you posted.

But I don't like things that are different.

Because Nigel would've been a shitty name.

Why the fuck not just release all the episodes at once? Thats Netflix whole fucking deal.

It'll be up on Sunday 8:30 PM EST. That's like 10 hours from now.

It's not made like a Netflix show. Last week they were still filming the 15th episode and finishing the effects work on the 5th.

That's why there's a two month mid-season break after episode 8, too.

>the next episodes will obviously have more room for "proper" exposition since Burnham will have to get to know the crew of the Discovery just as the audience does

THIS!
The real problem about the pilot was the fact that they went in medias res with a cast of characters that was supposed to haven been working together on one ship for seven years, even though most of them get killed off immediately. I can see the dilemma that the writers faced here, but they really set up the expository dialogue in the worst way imaginable!
But I'm also confident this problem will cease to exist as soon as Burnham is aboard the Discovery.

Because then people would sub for one month and cancel. They're trying to get people to sub for multiple months. And, yeah, you can just wait and sub once all the episodes are out, but then you have to wait and deal with spoilers and not being able to talk about it online because everyone else is going to be talking about these episodes as they air.

You mean they're producing it like, uhm... an actual TV show?

I'm hoping CBS just license it to Netflix next season, but CBS are jewy as fuck with Trek.

I know nothing about Star Trek, its my first one. I liked it, i want to see more, glad the worst character is already dead.
I dont like the opening.

>2 month mid-season break after episode 8

well, shit.

I agree with your assessment of the 2 schools of Vulcan performance. Somehow Frain struck me more on the Nemoy side though. To me, he lacked that passive aggressive quality that Vulcans from the Tim Russ side often utilize. He just portrayed his views matter of factly, but without giving off vibes of annoyance. The two points that stuck to my mind the most were when he said "Maybe that's where I failed you" and "You must do better, because I know you can" as to why I liked his performance. That mix of compassion, yet calculated distance, without any "why must I deal with this shit? that's so beneath me" vibes.

The problem is the pilot is the character's backstory. It's like making a Batman TV show, and the first two episodes are Batman as a kid, the first episode is him with his parents and ends with them dying, and then the next episode is him dealing with them dying and talking to the police and with Alfred, and then it says THIS SEASON ON BATMAN and shows Batman beating people up and Bruce Wayne is an adult, and the only characters we'll see from the pilot are Bruce Wayne (who is such a different person, he's almost a new character) and Alfred.

the pilot two epsisodes were ok, but I felt they were trying to make star trExpanse instead of just star trek

Because she's an independent strong character , so a male name fits better.

I never understood where they awful portrayal of Vulcans that started in TNG but really took hold with Tim Russ came from.

Someone in a position of power must have just not liked Vulcans. Hell, they literally only appear in DS9 as *villains*

>That mix of compassion, yet calculated distance

I think his character has to be understood through his years of interaction with Michael; they may have both affected each other's typical behavior. We already know that Michael, when observing Vulcan culture, can come off as dismissive while in certain environments, but Sarek willingly raised a human child. The experience must've changed him in some way- just as it did Michael.

I liked the pilot episodes, though if I had nitpick about something other than continuity stuff, then it would be that Michael wasn't a very likable lead character. I know she's supposed to have issues, but the way she made decisions and went on about doing things made it hard to not to want to slap her at times. Hopefully she gets better after she gets back out of prison and the actual series starts.

SPOCK'S SECRET SISTER

I see your point but the analogy doesn't bear close scrutiny.
I mean, it's okay to set up a character through more than just mere exposition and the odd flashback every now and then. It's neither "Lost", nor a "villain of the week"-show after all.

>that started in TNG
they had almost no Vulcans on TNG though (for that very reason and because they wanted to steer clear of overt TOS references). It really did start with VOY and only became aggravating once ENT came around.