Can someone explain this to me??

Can someone explain this to me??

androgynous dystopia

Best animated cyberpunk we've had
I liked the idea of Aeon dying at the end of the shorts, wish they'd keep this gimmick in the later seasons
Also great worldbuilding, would've been even better if it was done entirely without dialogues

>Best animated cyberpunk we've had
>ghost in the shell exists

>ghost in the shell sucks
fix'd that for you

What didn't you understand

Think he means, "ive never seen this, someone tell me everything about it"

How the actual fuck could they not choose Famke when that live-action shitshow was made?

Nice blog post

Overall the setting is Democracy/Liberalism (Aeon is a fetish model and wears dom gear) vs. Authoritarian/Tyrannical rule (Goodchild)

>the idea of Aeon dying at the end of the shorts, wish they'd keep this gimmick in the later seasons
Agreed. Notice at the begin of the episodes when the fly comes and lands on her and she "wakes up" so to speak and catches it with her eyelashes. Brilliant.

Reraizure, The Purge, War, & Thanatophobia are my personal favorite episodes. The show is overall pretty philosophical but some of it I've yet to understand. Chronophasia specifically, I know it's about motherhood but I still don't get it.

probably would have still been a bad film
did Chung have anything to do with it???

just random nonsense that looked cool.
Also Chung should have done the Castlevania show

The early 90s was possibly the edgiest time in human history

>later seasons
It was one season

Shouldve done the Bladerunner short too. His style is way more in tune with bladerunner than bebopman

He wasn't

>Q: Did you spend a lot of time with the screenwriter of the movie? Or were you basically excised out of the feature writing process?
>I had about an hour long meeting with Phil and Matt after their script had been greenlit and Karyn was set to direct. Neither I nor anyone who'd worked on the series was ever considered to write for the movie.

>Q: How do you REALLY feel about the movie Aeon Flux? Considering it couldn't really ever touch upon how effective the cartoon is.
>With apologies to both Phil and Matt-- who have publicly been effusive in their praise for the show-- the movie is a travesty. I was unhappy when I read the script four years ago; seeing it projected larger than life in a crowded theatre made me feel helpless, humiliated and sad. I know it's bad form for me to voice my disapproval in a public forum, but it's silly for me, of all people, to continue playing dumb, considering most of the critics have voiced their disapproval using every mocking and condescending expression possible. I know that the studio made a lot of cuts against the wishes of the writers and director. Most of the cuts concerned further development of the secondary characters. Since my main problems are with the portrayal of Aeon and Trevor, I doubt that I'd have liked the longer version much better. I didn't when I read the script, and there are definitely some things I'm glad WERE cut-- like Catherine's pregnancy.

cont'd

>Maybe the makers didn't understand the source material and thought they were being true to it; or they understood it, but didn't think it would appeal to a wide enough audience and altered it to suit their presumed target. They claim to love the original version; yet they do not extend that faith to their audience. No, they will soften it for the public, which isn't hip enough to appreciate the raw, pure, unadulterated source like they do. The argument for the Catherine Goodchild movie is that an accurate live-action version of the Aeon Flux would have been too inaccessible for a mainstream audience. It would not have made money, ergo there's no impetus for the studio to make it. It's a circular argument which attempts to shift responsibility away from the individuals who make the film to the presumed audience. Presuming to know what an audience wants to see and tailoring the product to fit is a method that sucks all the drive I'd have to ever create anything. It's self-defeating disingenuous.

I'm not naive about the realities of making unconventional films in the arena of "mass entertainment". It's possible to make good unconventional films; it's also very hard. In any case, if you're going to risk failure, I say do it boldly, with conviction. The problem with the movie is its failure of nerve.

The original impetus behind the Aeon Flux "Pilot" was a critique of the manipulation of sympathy in Hollywood movies. That method is most transparent in the action genre. Aeon Flux was never an action vehicle. The only two episodes in which Aeon does much physical fighting are the shorts Pilot and War -- in which her violent actions are portrayed as preposterous and futile. Not heroic. How can anyone watching those shorts NOT GET IT?

>just random nonsense that looked cool.
you have no idea what you're talking about.

You can't give it, can't even buy it, and you just don't *get* it

Let's not forget Chung made the worst Animatrix short

>muh consciousness

imo the best piece of animation the west has ever produced. "End Sinister" is one of my favorite episodes of anything ever. Glad to see people are finally starting to talk about it around here.

Ghost in the Shell kinda sucks. All the good cyberpunk anime I've seen is scattered through the OVA boom. MD Geist will always be a personal favorite, major pleb filter right there.

>season 1
2 minute shorts on liquid tv. Put together as "pilot" episode (she died at end)
>season 2
5 minute shorts on liquid tv. She died at the end of all then
>season 3
30 minute long episodes. Has actual dialog

>M.D. Heist
Definitely bait. Here's your (You), faggot.

You can only be a woman, a pleb, or both for making this post.