A Cure for Wellness: What did you think?

note: I did not watch the trailer beforehand

I thought it was good. well-acted and interesting semi-paranormal/psychological story. I don't really care about how the eels work cause they aren't even real half the time, I think it's fine that that part is sort of mysterious along with how the rest of it works. there are obviously supernatural themes throughout. I think just sort of hinting at the explanations worked.

I think there were some interesting visuals and the way things were done. a couple examples:

they quickly show the caduceus on the gates in the beginning, and to me it just looked like a medical caduceus, maybe a bit ominous looking, but I didn't notice they were eels until later when it's in focus longer (or maybe just from getting a second look).

the scene with the girl in the water with the eels is also a good choice I think, cause even though she definitely is drenched afterwards, we don't really know how real it was - at first it's not clear if she really had her period or if something else happened, which makes for some intrigue. they could had her have her period normally, but I think this was a more interesting way of weaving it into the themes of the story without bringing much attention to her having her period as if it was a part of the bigger plot (turns out it was!)

also at one point I began to question if perhaps he really was a patient there, but they turned that around from that cliché - they were just trying to trick him. it's good how this is made clear at the end, and to add to that, I think the ending is weird enough not to be boring or cliché.
in general I like how the same themes come back and are woven together throughout the film.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ub-U19BWidg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

my nitpicks:
the girl spoke british english with no swiss accent/we never saw her british english teacher
didn't show how to get teeth back (could have hinted at it)
could have set up better where he gets fuel for the fire (I guess there were some petrol somewhere, I didn't notice)
could have seen more of the pembroke character, he seemed interesting

are you sure you are feeling all right?

It wasn't Bioshock so it was shit

Good first two acts but falls apart in the third.

Funnily enough, it fell into the trap of trying to explain/reveal too much in the resolution and ended up leaving more plot holes than it filled. I would've honestly preferred it to have remained more of a psychological horror rather than progressed into this weird zombie mishmash.

care to explain why you think so? what plot holes?

It was pretty good
The twist felt really retarded, kinda wish they had kept it more grounded to reality
and it dragged a bit in the middle, the movie was long as fuck
but man did it look great

Good photography, good acting, but seriously a boring story twist which they practically explained early on and then it was just a long wait until the main character got there (and he was of course artificially dumb just to drag things out).

With a decent script and an actual surprise plot twist at the end, it could have been a good movie.

looked great but the second half is such a nosedive it took me 3 days to finish it

>dragged a bit in the middle, the movie was long as fuck
to me it was interesting, I didn't feel the length at all, I didn't even know it was over two hours until now, strange

>boring story twist which they practically explained early on
how was it explained early on? it surprised me

is it forbidden to go into any detail on Sup Forums? what was it you didn't like?

>how was it explained early on? it surprised me

Early on the movie presented the old story of the Baron and his experiments, which made it obvious it was Volmer, and that the girl was his daughter who was thrown in a well.

The only thing that I found interesting was the whole transformation of the main character, but storywise the 'twist' was so poorly set up.

I hope he married her after the ending.

>tfw no pure, artificially young wife

About the teeth - they did have a dentist office there, so they just had them fixed after he started to comply. Had you payed attention, they actually mention that Pembrokes teeth started falling out from dehydratation and yet - he has some nice pearly whites.

The trailer hooked me when I first saw it. I went to premier and enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. There is just something about this movie.. I cant really name it. It feels so dreamlike

are you drinking the water?

a hidden kino

and the theme...
youtube.com/watch?v=Ub-U19BWidg

>which made it obvious it was Volmer, and that the girl was his daughter who was thrown in a well.
literally how? how is it obvious that the baron who everyone says was burned alive 200 years ago who is mentioned seemingly just to give a bit of backstory is the same character as the guy running the modern institution? it just seemed like strange myth stuff to me

maybe it's obvious if you're sitting there calculating possible plot outcomes instead of letting the story draw you in, idk

> they did have a dentist office there, so they just had them fixed after he started to comply.
seems expensive though? but I guess modern dentistry could do that, I wouldn't know

>Had you payed attention, they actually mention that Pembrokes teeth started falling out from dehydratation and yet - he has some nice pearly whites.
starting to fall out doesn't mean having front teeth missing, I don't think we see his teeth much to begin with

dreamy eels, dreamy deers, dreamy girl, not knowing what's real, visions and dreams mixed in with reality, he wakes up from a dream at least twice, the themes like the ones I mentioned keep coming back in different versions which is kind of dreamlike, like dreaming something you've dreamt before

>seems expensive though? but I guess modern dentistry could do that, I wouldn't know

you serious now?

but other than that I agree with everything you wrote. I love that movie. (and if you werent trolling - they just gave him fake teeth, the type that your grandparents have)

t. gore verbinski

my grandparents died when I was little so I wouldn't know. I grew up seeing on tv that old people had dentures though, e.g. in a clockwork orange when the doctor accidentally drinks the water. I've seen holes repaired with gold and other stuff, but I didn't know you could restore teeth completely when you've ripped the actual root out.

I mean, either you have a relevant backstory and some people who are just there to figure out the plot will figure it out, or you don't have a relevant backstory and just throw in random things in the end just so that every single person can be surprised

could be a difference between watching a film as if being challenged with a puzzle vs being told a story

It was perfectly watchable but never quite lived up to its potential. It was too overproduced and sterile, it needed to be dirtier and grittier and most of all nastier for the kind of horror to work that it was going for.

I don't think it's meant as pure horror anyway. some of us are pussies and this definitely did not need to be grittier and nastier for me.

One of the most underrated films of the year.

Also the that cinematography is incredible

this

Gore Verbibski is a kino auteur

Lone Ranger is mad underrated as well.

Loved it. Had a Lovecraft vibe to it.