Amateur Radio Thread

Good Sunday to you, Sup Forums,
I want to talk about Amateur (ham) radio with you. I have been licensed for operation on all bands for the past 11 years or so and will gladly offer information on any aspect of radio communications you may have.

Ham radio is important because it allows individuals with a technical skillset to furnish their own, worldwide communication, without the need for *any* intermediate infrastructure. I can and regularly do chat with people all over Canada, the contiguous states, Europe, Russia, and Africa, with nothing more than my shitty 1960's tube radio running at about 75 Watts, and a basic antenna system I designed and built for under $100.

So, any other hams on here? Anyone interested in learning about radio? I think it is very much in line with what many people here rightly see as a citizen's duty to be prepared.

KN

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BGwwIJ6sQao
69.27.184.62:8901/
onlineconversion.com/frequency_wavelength.htm
broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14747
youtube.com/watch?v=vVPbucg4L94
wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=industrial_business
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

For anyone seeking entertainment, amateur radio has that, too.

14.313 MHz in the 2m band is known as "the Sup Forums of amateur radio". It is one of the couple of frequencies where the actual rules of radio are seldom respected, and some very amusing people spend most of their time there. Enjoy this video recording of one such celebrity, known as "Radio Canada".

youtube.com/watch?v=BGwwIJ6sQao

No interest in emergency communications at all?
I would have thought this was a topic for Sup Forums but perhaps it's better off in /diy/ or Sup Forums or something.

My grandpa is a radio amateur. Pretty interesting stuff. I might become one myself, trying to learn morse code at the moment.

Bump for interest

Do you have any tutorial on how to get into this? I'm not really big on electronics aside from soldering some basic stuff

I am not sure about the Netherlands, (I often talk to two people in Belgium from my station here in Canada) but at least in Canada and the USA, you no longer need to know morse code to be licensed.

I got my license when I was 13. I studied from a book about radio theory and operating practices and passed the exam. I'm not an electrical engineer, but at the time I was surely not, and it was still very easy. I am confident almost anyone could get a license in ~1 month of mild studying after work/school.

If you solder, you're ahead of the game honestly. It used to be hard to get the license but now it is largely trivial. Not to mention Italians, bless them, don't really give half a fuck about the rules anyway. Honestly just google it, or even better, look up "amateur radio club near X" where you live and sent them a quick email. It is NOT hard to get licensed and it is a lot of fun, and cheaper than ever to get into HF.

I used to be into ham stuff when I was younger, it was sort of magical. Ubiquitous internet kind of ruined it for me.

20 METRES ????, 2 meter band is VHF 144mhz

I got my license maybe 10 years ago.
Was never really interested in the ham community so much as a general interest in radio and electronics.
I'm glad that canadian ham licenses last for life, if I ever want to get back into it.
Here's your bump OP.

Yes, it was a typo, I of course mean 20m for 14.313.

Internet can die out, very easily. It is also not as much fun as communicating around the world with just your own wits and the luck of the ionosphere.
HAm community is often boring as fuck, people over 70 years old. When I got my license I got a handheld 2m radio. Boring as fuck. I hated it. All talk about joint pain and crops. When I got into High Frequency stuff, with my 1960's tube rig, I started to really have a great time because I could talk to people from other countries, and even communicate via text using digital modes (I like psk31 and Hell).

Sup Forums over packet radio would be interesting

While encryption in ham radio isn't legal, you could do it if you were happy with 300 baud.

However if you got into the GHz experimental allocations you could have more fun.

73's good buddy

SWL reporting I have a working transceiver but mostly listen to CW and digital modes with fldigi.

I occasionally transmit as annon though.

No fucks given.

>Internet can die out, very easily. It is also not as much fun as communicating around the world with just your own wits and the luck of the ionosphere.

Yeah, but how many people under 30 have even heard of amateur radio. The average ham is probably 50+ nowadays. Kind of sad.

73 DE AN0N
eh, that sounds cool. I like listening to shortwave on my transceiver laaaate at night with a big glass of whiskey on hand. It's so cozy listening to End Times Radio or some other nonsense in those conditions. as for transmitting sans license, it isn't like IC has any money to enforce so have at er.

That is true, yeah, but I still love it and get a lot of enjoyment (and a job) out of the hobby. It is just comforting to know that we still have the ability to communicate worldwide with just a wire in a tree and a car battery. Not to mention radio is cozy as fuck. There's an OM in england I talk to several times a week, he has a full sized 40 meter antenna on a crane. Guy's boss as fuck.

I want to listen for SKYKINGs and other ute OP, what do I need to get started?
am up for throwing down cash for a good setup

Lurking

Honestly just use Websdr.org and listen for free. Select a site near you and listen to whatever freq. skyking tx is on.

anything you want to know ? Japan is HUGE into ham radio but usually only domestic. They dont like talking to foreigners.

>That is true, yeah, but I still love it and get a lot of enjoyment (and a job) out of the hobby.

What kind of job? I'm the eternal unemployed, I'm curious.

Im aus just on holiday, but its always been an interesting topic. Any recommendations for a complete noob to get started?

what books would you recommend for learning about RF?

Why would I want to talk to radio autists when I can just talk to pol autists

Look for "The ARRL Handbook 2013"

I am an engineer, and when I was first applying for work some years ago, out of university, being interested in amateur radio was a huge advantage on my resume because it gave me a lot of practical shit to talk about in interviews. It was a small contributor, but it does set you apart from someone equally qualified who has no technical hobbies.

Making money directly from your radio is, however, illegal. For instance you cannot sell anything over the air.

Absolute easiest way to get started is to contact a local amateur radio club. Just google it, and your city/cities near you. Most will offer free classes, many will just be happy to direct you to online sources. All north american exam questions are online for free, you can literally just memorise answers and learn nothing if you're so inclined. I recommend trying to learn some *basic* radio theory. A ham radio club can direct you to sites/books that will help. When I got my license at 13, the club in my small town gave me an old book, I read it an hour a nght for a month, passed the exam.

Personally, I really enjoyed a textbook called "Findamentals of Applied Electromagnetics" (available online somewhere for free). I also enjoyed "Microwave Engineering" (Pozar). It was good.

Check this web radio out. It live streams any frequency you want. use the waterfall display and look for bright parts, those are signals. you will want to select USB and type in 14313 khz in the frequency selection box.

thanks for the book names.

>Check this web radio out

was there suppose to be a link in your post?

I have a UV-5R meme radio.

If I take a flexible wire antenna and sew it into my jacket or shirt will it negatively effect my reception?

69.27.184.62:8901/

forgot radio link. Go to 14313 khz and click "USB" (upper sideband modulation is basically the AM you hear in your car with a carrier frequency suppressed and one sideband.

That's a funny sdr . Ever listen to Billy go mental with faggetie Andy .

Funny shit on there

>If I take a flexible wire antenna and sew it into my jacket or shirt will it negatively effect my reception?
No, probably not. ANY antenna is better than the ribber duck they come with. The flexy nub antenna on most handhelds is basically a spring coiled up. That makes it look electrically longer (inductive load) to the radio, but it has low radiation resistance so most of your signal is going away as heat, not RF.

I recommend that you cut a 5/8 wavelength antenna. Basically, find the frequency you want to listen to, say it is 145.000 MHz. Then the wavelength is: Wavelength (meters) = speed_of_light(3x10^8m/s) / frequency (Hz).

So for 144MHz (144 million Hz), you have Wavelength = 3x10^8 / 144x10^6 = 2.08 meters.

So cut a wire that is 2.08m * (5/8) and that will be a million times better than anything you got with the UV5R

To do these calculations easily, go here: onlineconversion.com/frequency_wavelength.htm

14313khz, and 3084 khz are some of the best frequencies for absolute alchy retards fighting over inane shit.

For EVEN MORE LAUGHS: listen to the Los Angeles repeater on 147.435 here broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14747

It is actually fucking INSANITY when people are on it (evenings mostly)

NS7P calling CQ

pls reply

That was 15 minutes of Canadian shitposting at its finest.

>7.034MHz
My 40 meter antenna isn't too efficient. I enjoy 40m very much, but during daylight hours, it just doesn't do the job. Once the sun sets, though, I am golden.

Look him up on youtube. He has a lot of this stuff. VE7KFM is an institution (in more than one way) and \basically he pisses off americans (he calls them HAMeerikkkans) with near impunity because, while the FCC will fine american radio operators for being fucks, Canada has NO fucks to give about amateur radio.

I have one of those small Baofeng/Pofung radios but don't mess with the ham frequencies because I want to get my license and don't want a bad rep. I've messed a little with taxi frequencies.

I'm in some tall old building in a dense urban area, but the repeater is like a mile away. Do I have any chance of being heard? I hear people all the time on that repeater.

I need a long range two way for my oyster farm. Even the most expensive two way radios at radio shack, wal-mart, amazon, lose range. Any suggestions on how i can get radios with a longer range?

If the repeater is a mile away you should have NO problem getting into it with a baofeng. Not a problem at all. Those things put out, I think, 5W? You should be good. Kudos to you for being responsible inre: licensing and if you DO have a good repeater, you should try to do it.

Check if your repeater has IRLP capability. That way you can, over your handeld radio, link the repeater over the internet to any other repeater with IRLP installed anywhere in the world, and your transmissions will then be relayed to that repeater (or a network of them if you go to an IRLP mirror)

>I need a long range two way for my oyster farm. Even the most expensive two way radios at radio shack, wal-mart, amazon, lose range. Any suggestions on how i can get radios with a longer range?

What kind of range are we talking? Is it line of sight or are many hills/mountains/buildings between you?

If you need to get a few miles, get a 30 dollar baofeng radio, and tune to a FRS (walkie talkie) freq. and nobody will know you're putting out 10x more power than you should be.

Or use CB radio. It is still a thing.

Nice to see an interest in the hobby. I'm an SWL, have my shortwave receiver next to me all the time. I plan on getting licensed soon though.

73's

Good stuff man, I started out listening to shortwave and it was a lot of fun. But then it got where all we had was weird insane religious stuff.

Guys, I implore you to listen here: broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14747 This is DEEPLY entertaining. Two black guys are swearing at each other and having a big man fight on the radio.

This guys seems pretty based tbqhfampai

youtube.com/watch?v=vVPbucg4L94

He is definitely not sane. He knows he operates with impunity so he says shit like this. I don't condone it, but he HAS said a few pretty cuttingly critical things in the past. Check out his website. Google his callsign. He has been fighting with brian Crow for about 15 years now.

From Here: broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14747 "FUCKING LONGHAIR SLOB, FUCKING MAKE SURE I KICK YOUR ASS NEXT TIME I FUCKING SEE YOU YOU FAT FUCK!"

Back soon, buying eggs.

>get a 30 dollar baofeng radio, and tune to a FRS (walkie talkie) freq. and nobody will know you're putting out 10x more power than you should be.
This. I take my dogs for walks every night and the local population has been getting darker and darker. It takes precious seconds for a cell phone to connect your call, or you can radio for help. These BaoFeng meme radios were starting to gain popularity, so I waited until they came out with the UV-5R V2+ (more rugged shell, innards and software are identical to the original UV-5R), bought two of those and a programming cable, and programmed them to operate on FRS and MURS frequencies.

I also have my local police/ems/fire and NOAA stations programmed for listening. More than once a small incident has occurred while walking the dogs and we were able to beat the police to the scene on all occasions.

I converted a CB to 28 MHz (10 meter band) I can work stations across north America on Fm and AM, for cheap

roger is on right now. hes quite a silly owner. deals with the jamming with such arrogance :P

The death of community-minded CB proliferation is a tragedy. In the 70s, you could easily communicate across your entire community with a cheap CB radio,m and everyone had one. It was a wonderful thing, but it is dead now, more or less (other than for truckers).

Bump with a areal view of the local amateur radio club.

Yep, he is such a cock, it is amazing.

There's some guy on there right now playing music and yelling profanities while the owner etc try to make it stop.

Nice yagi-uda on the roof. I bet they have a good time.

broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14747

Now someone is playing rap music while the others try to find the source and fight over whether or not to implement restricted access.

I heard them saying they're going to have to go digital despite their preference to not do so.

I assume for trunking/encryption purposes?

they go through this shit all the time. It's always the same person, and they never change anything

the only reason why Roger is threatening to restrict access is because if he doesn't the FCC is actually going to give a shit. When the license for the repeater almost got pulled, that was the deal between Roger and the FCC. but they almost never stop the jammers or illicit behaviour

Yeah they were saying they could use a digital mode that required an access key, but they won't because most people wouldn't have radios capable of that I believe. The whole point of the repeater is to communicate in the end.

I love that guy talking about "Nigger music" and wondering if "The Rams will all sit for the national anthem too"

> I have been licensed for operation on all bands for the past 11 years or so

Total absolute bullshit. Hams are only licensed to transmit in certain frequencies.

>me am be a ham oporator, me know these things

>Making money directly from your radio is, however, illegal. For instance you cannot sell anything over the air.

Bullshit

You can cell ham gear like a yard sale, you cant do it like your operating a business.

Also

Section 97.113 provides for two situations where a person may accept compensation for being the control operator of an amateur station:
As an incident of a teaching position during periods of time when an amateur station is used by that teacher as a part of classroom instruction at an educational institution.
As the control operator of a club station transmitting telegraphy practice or information bulletins. Compensation may be accepted, however, only:
For those periods of time when the station is transmitting telegraphy practice or bulletins; and
Where the station transmits telegraphy practice and bulletins for at least 40 hours per week; and
Where operations are scheduled on at least six amateur service MF and HF bands using reasonable measures to maximize coverage; and
Where the schedule of normal operating times and frequencies is published at least 30 days in advance of the actual transmissions; and
Where the control operator does not accept any direct or indirect compensation for any other service as a control operator.

>for my oyster farm
You cant use the radio for business operations.

Any opinion on the Yaesu FT-2900R? I bought it during the BitCoin bubble a few years ago. I have yet to even power it on. It's 2m only but I bought it strictly for SHTF situations. It's built like a damn tank. I've got it and a half dozen Baofeng UV-82s. I really should go for my license. I know most of the old fart hams in my town from my church going days.

You are either autistic or retarded.

I said I was licensed for all bands, which in the context of a ham thread means all ham bands. I am not limited to, for instance, VHF/UHF Like a tech in the states is. Jesus christ man. Way to represent the autistic, permanently confused retard face of the hobby.

VHF radio in my truck, essential for back roads travel.

What do you use as an antenna? A hamstick sort of thing? If I could operate HF from my car, I would, but VHF (2m especially) is dead in this province.

Your welcome, wouldn't want to let us down.

Tuned my whip antenna with a SWR meter. Magnetic base, so I remove it for day to day, hooks up in a moment for off road use. Essential gear for safety and whatever else comes.

I live in an area that is expected to get a large earthquake one day; if that ever happens, cellphones will all be dead in moments, as well as anything else that requires AC power. So ham radio, battery powered radio is all that will be left -- no internet, no smartphones.

Range is between 3-4miles unobstructed. It is in line of sight. I was actually surprised that the Radio Shack walkies didn't work, considering the boats were in line of sight.

I will research these baofeng radios. The ones I got at radio shack were (Midland T51 VP3 X-Talker GMRS Handheld 2-Way Radios)

What is the reasoning for not letting consumer two-way radios have longer ranges?

Is there a portable communication system i should look into that is push to talk? We've lost too many cell phones on the farm

Very smart. Good work with the SWR meter.
I tuned my dipole up for 20m, and I have a coil loaded shortened vertical near saltwater that I use for more frequency agile work. I also made a magnetic loop transmitting antenna. I really really love magnetic loops.

>What is the reasoning for not letting consumer two-way radios have longer ranges?
Avoid idiots fucking things up in a bigger way.

Basically, i am NOT telling you to break the law, but MANY people buy baofengs, and then use them ONLY on FRS frequencies (walkie talkies). NEVER use any old freq. You might fuck with rescue operaions or police, then you're being an asshole AND you will get caught.

They're almost all Push to Talk or VOX. Literally you just need a few cheap baofengs. 30 bucks on amazon.

bump for interest

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

No problem. I live in the middle of fucking nowhere in Canada, so my radio is my window to the outside world when I am at home. I am always happy to talk about it.

Anything you want to see/hear/ask, go for it.

You can get commercial licenses.

wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=industrial_business

Or you can use unlicensed channels.

151.820 MHz
151.880 MHz
151.940 MHz
154.570 MHz
154.600 MHz

The baofeng radios will work just fine on these but you have to program them to only transmit at two watts.

It's a double benefit. Anything happens in the woods, I can get retrieve; any natural disasters happen, I have a window to the world still.

Pol being pol, i'm surprised more people don't have either mobile VHF radio or a ham base station in their lives. Still very important devices.